Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Genetics

Is there a certain way that sims 4 genetics work, or is all 'randomly selected?'

In sims 2, we had a fleshed out genetic system with domiant and recessive genes, for example; 2 parents, one was blue eyed and the other was brown. It would be most possible that their offspring would have brown eyes as that was considered the dominant gene. This system worked for skin tones and hair colour too.

In sims 3, correct me if I'm wrong, but there was also a sense of dominant and ressessive genes, as some genes would skip a generation. Also, if twins had offspring themselves, there was a greater chance of also reproducing twins.

My question is, is there anthing like this in the sims 4? Sims don't inherit facial details off their parents, such as freckles or even teeth. It appears that hair colour will either be one of the parents, or somewhere inbetween both- the same goes for skin tones. In the next version of the sims, do you think we may get a more fleshed out inheritance system, or do you think it will be an appropriate sort of 'random?'
I am the champion, my friend

Comments

• DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    Sims will inherit body and facial types, but not details like freckles or teeth, no. They’ll also inherit one of the parents’ skin tone or a mix between the two. They’ll inherit hair and eye color as well, but hair color goes based off of the current hair color of one of the parents. So if both Sims were born blonde and on a whim you changed them both to redheads, the child would inherit the red.

As for what I expect from future versions of The Sims, I can’t really say. I’m not too focused on next iterations, if there will be any.
  • Stina1701AStina1701A Posts: 1,184 Member
    Could J. Huntington jr. have any blond hair genetics? Because the Sim he is married to is a brunette and they have together a brunette girl and a blond boy. The mother was created by me in CAS and I have never changed either parents' haircolors.
  • Sims_for_lifeSims_for_life Posts: 195 Member
    Stina1701A wrote: »
    Could J. Huntington jr. have any blond hair genetics? Because the Sim he is married to is a brunette and they have together a brunette girl and a blond boy. The mother was created by me in CAS and I have never changed either parents' haircolors.

I think there is the small possibility of having randomised genes- it's happened to me previously
    I am the champion, my friend
  • aaronrulzaaronrulz Posts: 4,098 Member
    Does default replacement eye CC affect eye color genetics?
  • samemiesamemie Posts: 1,623 Member
    edited February 2018
    I don't think Sims 3 had much of a genetics system (though I could be wrong). The faces never seemed to blend very well, they always looked exactly like one parent or the other, and hair and eye colour was again one parent or the other with a ridiculously high random chance of 10% or something like that. In Sims 4 I think the facial features blend a lot better, but the hair and eye colour seems to be one parent or the other again. I'm glad the random chance either isn't there, or is very low though, in Sims 3 it never made much sense.

As for future games... I'd love a genetics system like we had in Sims 2, but I guess if the only way they can do that is to have all those in depth character files which while they were great, they also made it incredibly easy to corrupt your game and after a while it just got bogged down with all the character data of deceased sims. But a system like that would be great if they could do it well. :tongue:
  • x_Always_Heart_xx_Always_Heart_x Posts: 567 Member
    edited February 2018
    I have been playing my family for a little bit, and I noticed that genetics in the family are passed immediately from parent to child and seem to be random. There’s no inherenting “genes” from earlier generations. And the children seem to copy exact facial features from their parents as well.

For example, my sim and Gavin Richards had a boy and girl born together. The son had a mix of both father and mothers features but the daughter looked a lot like her father.

Time passes, the children start their own families:

Daughter has a out of wedlock child, he grows up to have exact same face as his father.

Son has an out of wedlock child, he grows up to look like a light skinned version of his father, even though his mother has Asian facial features. Son later Gets married to a black woman with blue eyes and blond hair, they have a child and she has her mothers eye and hair color, face shape lips and eyes but her dads nose.

Have yet to see if the grandparents’ features are going to show up in the future.