Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

STEAM SALE!! April 2021

ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,356 Member
Gonna pick up a few stuff packs myself. You?
Post edited by ZeeGee on

Comments

• AvataritAvatarit Posts: 836 Member
    Already did in the last sale :wink:
    Still havn't try out some of the packs I own. I just made sure I have them first when it was on sale.
  • ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,356 Member
    I got offered a stuff pack bundle, 6 packs for 20 bucks! I already had one of them but it was still a good deal.
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    I've owned the whole collection for a while now but these Steam sales are awesome. :) Enjoy your new packs.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
    @SimplyJen I own them all on discs but buying the Steam editions too cause...well, I'm an addict and will need my fix for years to come. :blush:
    edited February 2018
    ZeeGee wrote: »
    @SimplyJen I own them all on discs but buying the Steam editions too cause...well, I'm an addict and will need my fix for years to come. :blush:
    My husband was upset when I spent money last year buying all the discs I was missing to replace my digital collection.

It never hurts to have a backup plan! :p Added bonus, Steam version has patch 1.67.

• paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    Hello! I just bought the Steam bundle that has the base game, Generations, Pets, and Seasons! I'm eager to start playing! I wouldn't know where to start though!
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    That's awesome. What about store worlds, how do you get them in game?
    edited February 2018
    Hello! I just bought the Steam bundle that has the base game, Generations, Pets, and Seasons! I'm eager to start playing! I wouldn't know where to start though!
    Awesome :) Are you new to The Sims 3? Plenty of simmers here willing to help out if you have any questions.
    That's awesome. What about store worlds, how do you get them in game?
    All Worlds are purchased through The Sims 3 store, with some of them also being sold through authorized sellers (digital codes). Sign in with the account you have the game registered to and purchase enough points. All store items you buy will be under Store > My Store Account > Purchase History and from there installed through the launcher. If you purchase a world from an authorized seller, you will have a code to register. This is all done on the original Sims 3 site. (linked in bold)

I'm not sure how Steam works so someone else will have to comment on how a Steam account has access to the store.
    SimplyJen wrote: »
    My husband was upset when I spent money last year buying all the discs I was missing to replace my digital collection.

It never hurts to have a backup plan! :p Added bonus, Steam version has patch 1.67.

Lol, I did that too, and YES on the 1.67! That's WHY I did that too replacing digital downloads with discs. :smile:

@paradiseplanet Welcome to Sims 3! Just boot that sucker up, pick a sim in town or make your own, and it will be .... HOURS later before you know it. :) But yes, lots of help here with answering questions if you need help.

@MidnightAura To add to what SimplyJen said, it works the same for Steam. There's also a contest HERE this month with a 2000 SP give-a-way, which will buy you Hidden Springs if you need it! Or a nice venue.
    @SimplyJen Why yes I'm new to Sims 3 but not the Sims series! I might go a different approach here and just start off exploring what I have to work with!
    @SimplyJen and @ZeeGee, thanks for the help, I have the store worlds already. I'm tempted to get this for my husbands pc. (He's not a fan of origin) and a lot of the time I'm playing on his rig rather than mine. I talked of doing it last year but didn't get round to it.
    But I have a little bit of store content and that was my concern about switching.

@paradiseplanet welcome to the sims 3! I hope you enjoy it!
    2 hours passed and I didn't even know it. Still trying to get the camera controls to work though. In that span of 2 hours I played chess at a park, ate out at a diner and met an alien, saw multiple people freak out at a random pregnant woman going to burst at the summer festival and dropped my snow-cone to take the random pregnant stranger to the hospital (even though she was driving), and got my toilet stolen by a burglar.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited February 2018
    Hi there, I'm new to sims and TS3...

No one is going to believe that, igazor! :angry:

Okay, right. Let me start again. I'm already fully vested in the Steam version of everything so the entire on sale page is greyed out for me except for one item. I never did pick up the Movie Stuff SP. Do I want it? Even after all this time, I'm having difficulty convincing myself that I need it though at $4.99 (USD), or on the Bundle I'm being offered for $3.99, it's pretty difficult to keep ignoring.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • plushtrap_107plushtrap_107 Posts: 1,435 Member
    edited February 2018
    @igazor, I think you need it :p You could turn Appaloosa Plains into a true Wild West town and makes saloons for your Sims to get into bar fights!

I must ask, if I was to buy a Steam game, could I play it? All my Sims 3 games are digital downloads and are tied into Origin.
    @igazor, I think you need it :p You could turn Appaloosa Plains into a true Wild West town and makes saloons for your Sims to get into bar fights!

I must ask, if I was to buy a Steam game, could I play it? All my Sims 3 games are digital downloads and are tied into Origin.

I believe you can but you hsve to uninstall the sims 3 from your pc first off. I’m tempted to do the same although my collection is installed on disc (but still sadly tied to origin through 1.69) >:)
    edited February 2018
    You have two choices.

First Way:

If you want to stay on Origin or Origin/disc, you could install the Steam client software, purchase the base game (again) on Steam, and then the packs you really wanted. You don't have to and in fact shouldn't install any of it, beyond the Steam client program itself. The base game purchase is required by Steam before they will sell you the EP/SPs.

With the purchase of each pack, Steam also throws in an Origin code at no extra charge. So you could then redeem the pack codes on Origin and install the Origin versions from there. As a bonus, if you register the redundant base game (and WA) on the TS3 site, you should still get 1,000 TS3 Store Points for each one.

Second Way:
    Set aside your TS3 user game folder for safekeeping, repurchase the base game and all the packs you want on Steam, uninstall the game, clean registry, install the Steam version, and say hello again to Patch 1.67.

Note that either way only works on Windows because Steam does not carry TS3 for Mac and they won't sell it through the Mac version of the Steam client program although they will sell you TS3 that way, it won't do you any good. The Origin codes will not be provided until you log in on a system running Windows and the Windows Steam client program.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    igazor wrote: »
    You have two choices.

First Way:

If you want to stay on Origin or Origin/disc, you could install the Steam client software, purchase the base game (again) on Steam, and then the packs you really wanted. You don't have to and in fact shouldn't install any of it, beyond the Steam client program itself. The base game purchase is required by Steam before they will sell you the EP/SPs.

With the purchase of each pack, Steam also throws in an Origin code at no extra charge. So you could then redeem the pack codes on Origin. As a bonus, if you register the redundant base game (and WA) on the TS3 site, you should still get 1,000 TS3 Store Points for each one.

Second Way:
    Set aside your TS3 user game folder for safekeeping, repurchase everything on Steam, uninstall the game, clean registry, install the Steam version, and say hello again to Patch 1.67.

Note that either way only works on Windows because Steam does not even carry TS3 for Mac.

Apologies for de railing slightly Op but Igazor you used to have patch 1.69 I’m sure you said, can I ask what made you change to steam? In a similar predicament.

I still haven’t re installed all my games from disc to 1.67 because I freely admit I’m not computer literate and I’m wary about deleting things from the registry.
    edited February 2018
    @MidnightAura - Yes, I landed on 1.69 back when I still had one previously Origin purchased EP to install (ITF) and by the time I got around to that it was too late to do the install any other way. The same thing would have happened if/when I get a new computer although that wasn't in the short-term plans at the time. I gave 1.69 a run for a full year and couldn't find a single thing I liked about it, all the Origin/Launcher tie-in did was annoy me and play hide and seek with my EPs occasionally. The Pack Chooser feature was also more of an annoyance than a help to me.

So in a prior Steam sale much like this one last summer, I repurchased everything (except the Movie Stuff SP that I never had anyway) at 75-80% off and switched platforms. It's not that 1.69 outright broke everything for me on a routine everyday basis and I'm glad that I got to experience what everyone else has so I can understand what they are talking about when it comes to support, but I have to say that I am still happy with the decision to move off of it.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    @MidnightAura, I don't think I can :( My Sims 3 is just an Origin code, not a CD. Thanks for helping though :)

@igazor, thanks for helping too :) That's a shame you have to buy Sims 3 on Steam first :( Oh well, I thought that the offers were too good to be true :p

I just thought I'd ask on behalf of my mate, what happens if you have the original Sims 3 CD, updated to patch 1.67? Do you need need to buy a Sims 3 digital download on Steam to buy the expansions?
    @MidnightAura - Yes, I landed on 1.69 back when still had one previously Origin purchased EP to install (ITF) and by the time I got around to that it was too late to do the install any other way. The same thing would have happened if/when I get a new computer although that wasn't in the short-term plans at the time. I gave 1.69 a run for a full year and couldn't find a single thing I liked about it, all the Origin/Launcher tie-in did was annoy me and play hide and seek with my EPs occasionally. The Pack Chooser feature was also more of an annoyance than a help to me.

So in a prior Steam sale much like this one last summer, I repurchased everything (except the Movie Stuff SP that I never had anyway) at 75-80% off and switched platforms. It's not that 1.69 outright broke everything for me on a routine everyday basis and I'm glad that I got to experience what everyone else has so I can understand what they are talking about when it comes to support, but I have to say that I am still happy with the decision to move off of it.

I feel you, that's my annoyance with the launcher. I'm getting annoyed by it randomly removing packs at will.

Very tempted to switch to steam although I'm not sure I would handle not having all my content off the bat. My base game is pre 2012 and I have all the discs but I'm scared of messing up the process along the way!
    edited February 2018
    @plushtrap_107 - Steam will not sell you the expansion packs if you do not own the Steam base game (again, it doesn't need to be installed, just purchased). The purchases are all tied to your Steam account. It can still be a really good deal even if the extra base game purchased is not needed, I mean at sale prices we're talking about an extra $5 or whatever here in order to be allowed to buy the EPs at $5 each and you still get the 1,000 store points for the otherwise unnecessary base game purchase (and WA if you want/need that).

On an all disc install on 1.67, there is no path to using Origin codes from any source unless one "updates" to 1.69. So the only ways to make that work would be the same two methods above, except one would have to accept Patch 1.69 to use the Steam provided Origin codes on Origin.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    edited February 2018
    I feel you, that's my annoyance with the launcher. I'm getting annoyed by it randomly removing packs at will.

Very tempted to switch to steam although I'm not sure I would handle not having all my content off the bat. My base game is pre 2012 and I have all the discs but I'm scared of messing up the process along the way!
    I can understand the "if it's not totally broke, don't fix it" mindset. I can't say the switchover process itself is entirely pleasant or something I would want to do multiple times, and of course any such procedure can be prone to something unexpected happening along the way. :)

And I did neglect to mention that when switching over to all Steam, this doesn't apply to the Origin codes method, one has to re-download and re-install all TS3 Store content. The prior downloads, even backup up copies, won't work on the Steam version of the game because they would have been associated with the "wrong" user. Other forms of added content (CC, mods, custom worlds) are fine.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    @igazor you get some cool western theme clothing and a few obects, as well as an awesome outhouse with the movie pack. I vote yes for it. :) I had to repurchase it for my disk only games and felt it was worth it and it was a bit more than what steam is selling it for.
    @igazor, OK thanks, I've got it now :) It does seem to be a very good deal (I wish Origin would do some deals that cheap, lol). I'll tell my friend about it; see what they think!

I can totally understand the "if it's not totally broke, don't fix it" mindset. I can't say the swtichover process itself is entirely pleasant or something I would want to do multiple times, and of course any such procedure can be prone to something unexpected happening along the way. :)

And I did neglect to mention that when switching over to all Steam, this doesn't apply to the Origin codes method, one has to re-download and re-install all TS3 Store content. The prior downloads, even backup up copies, won't work on the Steam version of the game because they would have been associated with the "wrong" user. Other forms of added content (CC, mods, custom worlds) are fine.

I have a little bit of store content. All the worlds. No idea how I would transfer them over. But seriously considering moving. Need to research how to uninstall the game including cleaning the registry to see if I can do it without breaking anything!