Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Mods question

I am not sure where this should go, but I was just wondering what mods are safe and are good ones to use? I have NEVER used a mod before out of all the Sims gens so I am confused what is good and bad and if it would make my laptop hotter using any for TS4? Or what are the bad outcomes using a mod?

Comments

• fiercephoenix91fiercephoenix91 Posts: 175 Member
    I am wondering and became more curious recently about MCCC most of all. Sometimes my game seems boring to me (especially if I DON'T have much option but play Sims 4 or go insane doing nothing) and therefore would like to know how to make my game more interesting. If that makes sense...
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,519 Member
    Hello.
    These links explain about cc and mods
    http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/tutorials/mods-cc.php
    http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Installing_Sims_4_Package_Files
    http://sims-online.com/install-mods-custom-content-sims-4-tutorial/

MC Command Center mod is a very helpful mod to use, It is safe to use, and the mod creator continually updates it. He is very thoughtful and quickly updates it after game patches, if the patch causes it to become broken.
    It can be downloaded at
    https://deaderpoolmc.tumblr.com
    There is information about the mod in this link
    http://deaderpool-mccc.com
    This link thread provides help for the MC Command Center Mod. If you decide to use it and you have questions about the settings, you can post about it there, and there are helpful simmers there that will help you.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/913483/mc-command-center-local-help-chat-thread

After game patches are released, it is best to go back to the sites where you downloaded the mods, and check to see if there are updated versions of the mods released. Cc/mods sometimes get broken by patches. There is often a thread in the cc/mods section of the forums that lists broken and updated mods
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/mods-bugs-issues

It may help to have a look at the threads in the cc/mods section of the forums and see the sites/mods/cc that fellow simmers use.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/the-sims-4-modding-and-custom-content

Make sure that you have a antivirus and firewall program installed when visiting cc/mods sites. Don’t click on pop up ads. Scan cc/mod files with your security program, before installing the files.
    Thank you so much. :) I'll go and try downloading the MCCC since most seem to use it and has more options. This was a reason I wanted to ask here which are good cause I am very paranoid about most mod sites for Sims 4. One of the reasons I have never used CC or Mods before...
  • BreezaaRoseBreezaaRose Posts: 105 Member
    The sites I use personally for CC and Mods is The Sims Resource and Mod the Sims, I mostly use TSR for CC and MTS for Script Mods.
    It's always good to check comments and make sure there is a lot of downloads on the item from a trusted site.
    When I download my CC from TSR I only download off 'Select' or 'Featured' creators, which have stars next to their username and they are safe

I hope you can find what your looking for and that you don't run into any problems. I haven't run into any since I only use those sites (apart from deaderpool for MCCC, that one is safe)

If you would like to know anything else I'm happy to help out, I hope you have a great day :)
    mJoj-3.gif

• lovejess2lovejess2 Posts: 3,049 Member
    Hey
    I actually create cc and use tons of mods so I'll just tell you some points.
    - Script mods are risky so make sure you read comments and reviews before installing.
    - Keep mods in separate folders to make it easier to find anything specific.
    - Mods and CC can cause lag usually I notice effects when my mod folder reaches 3gb but it doesn't cause huge lag for me.
    - Make sure you always read creator notes as they often tell you if it needs specific installation or if it conflicts with other mods.
    - Big game updates can often cause issues to CC. The most recent case was the pets update so I recommend only installing content that was either patched or created after that update.
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Thank you so much. :) I'll go and try downloading the MCCC since most seem to use it and has more options. This was a reason I wanted to ask here which are good cause I am very paranoid about most mod sites for Sims 4. One of the reasons I have never used CC or Mods before...

My go-to-sites for mods is Mod The Sims and coolspear1's mods hosted on Sims Asylum; need to register to download but his stuff is really good, particularly his suite of mods for the Scientist career. I'd recommend them to any one wanting to play that career. He also took over mods from Madame Butterfly when she retired and is keeping many of those updated.

MCCC is complex but if you check in with the help thread here they can walk you through most of the settings and what they do.

MTS have a lot of the standard tuning type mods that I like to help with my gameplay, and get a lot of comments regarding whether to mod is still working after an update so you can pull that mod out if people report major issues after a patch.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • PninaSimmerPninaSimmer Posts: 371 Member
    I've never had an issue with The Sims Resource or Mod The Sims. If a mod just didn't work in my game, I remove it and there are no long lasting issues.
    I see... thanks everyone. :)

The MCCC has SO MANY settings I dunno what is what so will have to look up what they mean and do more.

I appreciate the tips and replies. I am a total newbie with what Mods do and such so this is very helpful.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,290 Member
    I see... thanks everyone. :)

The MCCC has SO MANY settings I dunno what is what so will have to look up what they mean and do more.

I appreciate the tips and replies. I am a total newbie with what Mods do and such so this is very helpful.

Just play around with it, that's how I'm learning. :) If you set something you don't like, you can always turn that aspect off again.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
    I may have to. Just some titles (like Dresser) has me lost what settings it handles.
    Not sure if this has been asked before, but with the MCCC story progression, does it affect ALL the game saves when playing ONE game save or only the save being played?
  • nattygirl13nattygirl13 Posts: 82 Member
    Most mods are well maintained by the creator. A lot of them are safe to use. However, here are a few tips when choosing mods.
    1. Make sure the creator is active. Sometimes they go on hiatus or stop modding and their mods become obsolete. And sometimes you will find other modders updating their mods.
    2. Make sure the modder has listed the updated versions to correspond with game patches.
    3. Always read the creator notes to see if there are any glitches or bugs that have been identified and to see if there are any conflicts with other mods.
    4. Make sure you have all parts of the mod. Sometimes you need to use a mod in conjunction with a mod from a different creator.
  • night_tidenight_tide Posts: 112 Member
    Most CC on TSR works fine, but sometimes, it's not the best quality, so recommend looking for a little verification typed star next to the creator's username. Most tumblr sites I've been on work fine and don't have any bugs, but before you download anything, make sure you have an antivirus scanner for not only your computer system, but one that works for the search engine you use. Hope this helps!
    The roof is not my son, but I will raise it.

original.gif

• QueenesonQueeneson Posts: 5 New Member
    Can someone please help me! I can’t get mods to work at all. I’m fairly good with computers, and I’ve watched and read multiple tutorials but nothing will work!! I use a MacBook Air. I have a mods folder, and I make sure the end of the file says “package” when I place it into my mods folder. It doesn’t show up in the game or as CC. I have both of the boxes ticked in settings to allow for CC. My game is up to date. I’ve tried relatively new mods but nothing is working! I’m losing hope. Can anyone assist me please?
    Queeneson wrote: »
    Can someone please help me! I can’t get mods to work at all. I’m fairly good with computers, and I’ve watched and read multiple tutorials but nothing will work!! I use a MacBook Air. I have a mods folder, and I make sure the end of the file says “package” when I place it into my mods folder. It doesn’t show up in the game or as CC. I have both of the boxes ticked in settings to allow for CC. My game is up to date. I’ve tried relatively new mods but nothing is working! I’m losing hope. Can anyone assist me please?

Hello @Queeneson
    I am sorry that you are having these issues. Try testing by placing a cc package file directly into the mods folder without it being in a sub folder, and see if it appears in your game,
    Hi @rosemow I have tried that too and nothing worked! :(
    Hi @rosemow I have tried that too and nothing worked! :(

Hello @Queeneson

Do you use One Drive? If you do it could be causing the issues . Try seeing if there is a mods folder in One Drive . The game may be using that mods folder instead of the correct Documents -electronic arts -sims 4-mods folder.. One Drive can cause issues, It would be best to unsync One Drive and Sims 4.

If you don’t use One Drive, try using the search bar on your computer , and search to see if there may be another mods folder on your computer that the game is using instead of the one directly in the sims 4 folder.
    Some simmers have found that a mods folder had been incorrectly generated in their custom music folder. Check all the sub folders in sims 4 folder as well.
    @rosemow I don't use One Drive, and I checked all of my files and don't have any additional mod folders! I really have no idea what could be wrong.
    @rosemow I don't use One Drive, and I checked all of my files and don't have any additional mod folders! I really have no idea what could be wrong.

I am sorry that you are having these issues :(@Queeneson
    It may help to post about your issues on a thread in the Mac section of the forums
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/the-sims-4-on-mac-discussions
    @rosemow thank you I’ll try that!
  • totokatokakototokatokako Posts: 4 New Member
    [quote="fiercephoenix91;d-934094"]I am not sure where this should go, but I was just wondering what mods are safe and are good ones to use? I have NEVER used a mod before out of all the Sims gens so I am confused what is good and bad and if it would make my laptop hotter using any for TS4? Or what are the bad outcomes using a mod?[/quote]

it reaaaaaaally depends on the mod... some downloads are in ad sites that ask you to pause adblock and that could let a virus in... most cases i just found a single mod with viruses... it will make your laptop hotter yes! and slower ofc!
  • MLadyAzzeraMLadyAzzera Posts: 1,174 Member
    edited April 2019
    @Queeneson
    Did you make sure to unzip the .package file first? I noticed some mods will download as a .package but still needs unzipped.

@fiercephoenix91
    I would like to add to this post that I recommend backing up your save files (copy save folder to anywhere except EA, Maxis, and Sims 4 folders) in case a save might go corrupt. Save your custom lots and household(s) to your library as well so you can access them in a new save easily. Do this every so often. I have a rotational save and would cry if all the hours of work I've put in the game would disappear.

Before installing an EA update, uninstall mods (just drag and drop the .package/.script files to your desktop temporarily), restart your game, and then exit out and download the new update. Start your game again without mods, then exit out again. After everything is working, take those files you put on your desktop and drag them back to your mods folder. Restart game and make sure everything is running with the mods. Tah dah! So far the only mods I have are ones that fix glitches, so hopefully eventually I won't have to have mods anymore! One can hope.