Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

negative Traits in game play

Does anyone play with the negative traits, be it for sims or lots?? and what is your game play like???? does anything interesting happen in your game???? is it more of a challenge ???
please post pics of things that happen because of the negative traits.
I don't yet. But I'm seriously thinking of making a couple, one who is a slob, the other with a neat trait, in a house that is grungy with earth quakes.
please share your experiences in your game play.

Comments

• feetinstockingsfeetinstockings Posts: 4,264 Member
    not yet, and the challenge to get them happily married. and added hates children. happily marries with a family. mm not yet, on my to do list. have you??
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited February 2018
    Earthquake lot trait gave me a headache. Not a fan of the whole screen moving around quickly so I never use that one anymore.

I forget the name but there’s a lot trait that makes all food on the lot make everyone uncomfortable and that trait is just annoying. I don’t see how anyone enjoys that trait. Everyone is always too uncomfortable to be productive.

I use Grungy and don’t see much difference. Stuff gets dirty faster but it’s not really a big deal.

The Mean lot trait is interesting if you don’t care about a sims relationship bars.

Sometimes I add the one where everything breaks all the time, I think it’s Gremlin.

One of my most popular combos is a Slob and a Neat sim. Sometimes I want a sims place to be filthy. Other times I want it sparkly fresh. Neither really impact gameplay all that much, just a couple extra water puddles, laundry piles, and dirty dishes. But I like that it makes sims have to do more stuff at home.
    I downloaded Bob Newbie and his wife Betty, his a slob and lazy. even with laundry baskets, his dirty clothes always end up on the floor. so either me or his wife or child is always cleaning up after him. I really should get him to do it, I wonder if he can be trained to put his clothes in the basket. and though his a lazy sim. his all for wishing to take a jog or do a dance video. lol two negative traits, but only one really works.
  • SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,307 Member
    I usually roll traits and aspirations randomly so I end up with some negative traits and weird combinations. Some traits I usually re-roll, like mean, which just frustrates me (although I've left it on a couple). I find squeamish both frustrating and hilarious - I had a squeamish vampire sim with the guilty drinker trait - he'd feel guilty if he drank from another sim but get nauseous when I tried to make him go fishing or catch frogs for plasma packs. Yesterday I aged up a child sim who had the lazy trait and he got unflirty with the soulmate aspiration...that's going to be interesting. :P

I don't use most of the negative lot traits, they're amusing about one time. One major exception is I have one lot that I've played forever with the earthquake trait; I think I leave it on just because it's always been there.
  • AvieLeagueAvieLeague Posts: 37 Member
    It depends on what I want from a save file, I guess. My latest, I'm doing a sort of Big Brother house-type challenge, so I deliberately set up all 8 Sims with pairs of opposite traits, one positive and one negative per. (With music lover as the third on all of them, because it's the only thing they have in common). It sparked some fun spontaneous drama, having opposite traits running around the same household and ticking each other off. But I turned off lot traits, positive and negative, because I'm doing a lot of screenshots and hate having the auras show up in them, and I haven't found any way to turn those off yet.
    lv-banner-posterized.jpg
    Loud Voices: Sims and drama and rock and roll.
  • PsychoSimXXPsychoSimXX Posts: 4,403 Member
    It all depends on what you want out of your game to be honest. I've played with a neat, outgoing and romantic sim. Paired him with a materialistic, slob and loner. Shinya would just happily go about cleaning up after Channel. They lived in a tiny little house with all of the cheapest furniture. I used a mod that would allow teen jobs to available for the older stages and had him work as maintenance man. I think he only worked on the weekends. During the week he would tend to his garden and making his herbal remedies to sell. He was saving up to start his own remedy store. Channel wasn't happy as she was always tense from being a loner and being poor. It caused a riff in their relationship. He caught her cheating with Johnny Zest. They broke up and he then fell madly for Bella and she just destroyed him. He;s been a bed hopping bar fly who developed a serious juice and bubble addiction.

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
  • LunaSimmssLunaSimmss Posts: 34 Member
    I love to add balance to my sims, it really gets boring having them happy all the time. I personally love challenges, and when my sims is in a bad mood, it really adds that aspect of the game.
  • SummerStreakSummerStreak Posts: 119 Member
    Like above, negative traits are good to add some balance, but tbh they don't affect much at all when something as simple as an environment buff will make them happy again. Kinda annoying.
  • PninaSimmerPninaSimmer Posts: 371 Member
    It all depends on what you want out of your game to be honest. I've played with a neat, outgoing and romantic sim. Paired him with a materialistic, slob and loner. Shinya would just happily go about cleaning up after Channel. They lived in a tiny little house with all of the cheapest furniture. I used a mod that would allow teen jobs to available for the older stages and had him work as maintenance man. I think he only worked on the weekends. During the week he would tend to his garden and making his herbal remedies to sell. He was saving up to start his own remedy store. Channel wasn't happy as she was always tense from being a loner and being poor. It caused a riff in their relationship. He caught her cheating with Johnny Zest. They broke up and he then fell madly for Bella and she just destroyed him. He;s been a bed hopping bar fly who developed a serious juice and bubble addiction.

What is the name of the mod/where did you find it? That would fit one of my current saves perfectly.
  • NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member
    Negative traits, they can be quite entertaining. I used them once in a while in the past, but currently I am playing a whole household and it is pretty funny.
    I am working on an ISBI challenge where every sim has to have a "negative" trait (by the rules I made up). The sim I control is hot-headed and the rest of the household members are either insane, lazy or slobs. And even though we started out with only one bed and one shower for 5 sims, and I am only controlling one sim, it's going pretty well. I mean, there is passing out, poor personal hygiene, almost dying from doing laundry - which, they do autonomously, but why bother with the lint tray - getting dazed, being confused and talking to appliances and the occasional kicking the trash bucket out of anger and of course there is an illness going around ... but otherwise it's been a breeze!
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...
  • PsychoSimXXPsychoSimXX Posts: 4,403 Member
    edited February 2018
    @PninaSimmer It was originally at MTS but creator is no longer updating or supporting their mod from what I gather. There is an updated one though. Teen careers for all

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
  • JimG72JimG72 Posts: 1,161 Member
    The negative lot traits "Gremlins" and "Cursed" definitely affect gameplay. The Gremlins one will break things at night while your sims are sleeping....I've had every single thing in the house that could break, all break at the same time in the middle of the night. Cursed will give random angry moodlets because of the bad "voodoo" on the lot...and also seems to up the chances of oven/grill fires with lower skilled cooks.
  • ghilieghilie Posts: 243 Member
    Lately I have been giving all my sims a negative trait or two. Klepto is my favorite, but I also like mean, evil, lazy, and slob. I gave my latest sim the glutton trait so he can forage food out of garbage cans. I especially love cheating parenthood traits onto sims. Negative traits seem to give sims more personality.
    nZLbne1.jpg

• paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    edited February 2018
    I tend to round up townies I like into my personal circle of Sims, and a few end up being played by me. Of course most of the time those played townies have at least one or two negative traits, and makes for more entertaining and sometimes annoying gameplay all in all, but it adds realistic touches to my games bc no one can be truly perfect, not even in the Sims. I don't really bother much with negative lot traits, except with this one cursed, gremlin-infested fixer-upper appt. It's where I send Sims to die. >:)
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • Celticgamer0Celticgamer0 Posts: 1,997 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    Yes I do all the time. Otherwise sims would be super boring.

Have you tried making an unflirty, jealous sim with commitment issues? Try it xD

He's going to want a soulmate due to the jealous trait even though he has commitment issues, but because he's unflirty he's gonna have a hard time getting anything.

So gonna try this!
  • kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    i mostly don't do the negative lot traits. played around with them, haven't found anywhere they'd fit yet (though i do find it funny that you can put gremlins and gnomes on the same lot). i will sometimes pair cursed with haunted for story-specific stuff.

as for sims, quite a few of mine have at least one of the 'bad' traits, though also have a fair few with none (for me, romantic is one of the worst traits. i just despise it in general. along with the current iteration of jealous, which is actually more co-dependent). my 'main' bad household is an evil father (who is also creative and loves family), an evil slob of a teenage daughter and a klepto child son. they're a lot of fun to play, really. and they're also aliens, with the father being a villain in the secret agent career with a secret lair beneath their house.

i do try to limit a few of the traits though. there are exactly 4 klepto sims in my game. all played. every session i play, i make one of the kleptos make a klepto-exclusive club just to test if there were any spawned townie ones so i can delete said townies. and, if i have a sim hire a new butler, i immediately check their traits. had to delete three butlers in a row once because they all showed up with the trait. the only reason i get rid of sims with that trait is the fact that public lots don't respawn stolen items after a few days like we got in sims 3 and i get tired of trying to remember what went where when going into build mode to replace whatever the sim snagged... at least with the played ones, can hop onto them, go into household and send the thing back to where it was stolen from or at least see what it was to replace in the lot while letting them keep it (sometimes i have them steal specific items i want as decor in the house)

and, unlike many people, i don't consider insane to be a negative trait. it's one of my favorites. but, for that reason, i try not to overuse it. one of my favorite bits to them is the fact that they can talk to themselves or inanimate objects to work on their social need. i just miss the old 'fish out of swimming pools' they could do in other iterations of the game

...also, not long after the jealous trait came out, i did make and try to play a sim with the traits @Sigzy05 said and yegads were they a hot mess...
  • SeraphicPinkSeraphicPink Posts: 202 Member
    edited February 2018
    I like to sprinkle some negative traits on my sims too! It makes them realistic and interesting.

I love the Hot headed one, one of my favorite saves is a hot headed sim. The wind blows the wrong way and she's furious! lmao. She also likes to wake up just angry for no reason, and rage quits when she loses in video games.
    I also like to play with slob and insane.

I usually make a sim with commitment issues and a romantic fling to them, but shockingly I haven't done anything like that in Sims 4 yet. That will be my next goal. lol. You always want to play with that walking train wreck of a sim that goes through relationships. :smiley:

Far as the traits for the lots, I haven't actually experimented with these, with the exception of the TLC trait that is required on some apartment lots. Thou it can get a bit annoying, it does give a realistic aspect to a "first apartment" and I like to play with them. The quake one I have played with on accident, when we first got traits and I didn't know you could remove it. lol. It can be very stressful, but otherwise I haven't played with any of the other negative ones. I'll have to now!
    My Simblr: http://seraphicsimblr.tumblr.com/
    Origin: SeraphicPink

I love the Insane trait, that always makes me laugh. The jealous one can be entertaining to. I think I need to restart adding some negative into the mix, and see what happens. can you imaging the newbies, him being a jealous slob and her being a neat flirty romantic. now what would go with his jealous slob. mmm I'm playing today so I'm going to start fresh and spice my game up.
  • loubyloulouloubyloulou Posts: 4,466 Member
    I'm currently playing a challenge where the gen 6 heir has to have the 'evil' trait and it's definitely having a marked effect on his relationships with his wife and kids (I have autonomy on full) to the point where he has a bad relationship with his kids as he's always yelling at or nagging them, and his relationship with his wife is way in the red (both friendship and love) - she has embarked on an affair with one of his friends and will divorce him as soon as the gen 7 heir ages up to YA >:) What I really wish would happen (and hasn't so far) is that the wife would get a whim to divorce him - instead of which she keeps getting romantic whims for him, which is bugging me as she no longer loves, or even likes, him :s
  • SeraphicPinkSeraphicPink Posts: 202 Member
    edited February 2018
    I'm currently playing a challenge where the gen 6 heir has to have the 'evil' trait and it's definitely having a marked effect on his relationships with his wife and kids (I have autonomy on full) to the point where he has a bad relationship with his kids as he's always yelling at or nagging them, and his relationship with his wife is way in the red (both friendship and love) - she has embarked on an affair with one of his friends and will divorce him as soon as the gen 7 heir ages up to YA >:) What I really wish would happen (and hasn't so far) is that the wife would get a whim to divorce him - instead of which she keeps getting romantic whims for him, which is bugging me as she no longer loves, or even likes, him :s

Autonomy! I think that's a key to having traits on anyway. I think a lot of people turn Autonomy off, or lower it, so of course your sim doesn't have any type of personality when you are micromanaging them.
    Turn autonomy up a bit. Like, all the way. lol. It makes my game interesting anyway.

Many of time I just "watch and see what my sim is gonna do" and you find out so many interesting things, and a lot of these negative traits stand out then.
    My Simblr: http://seraphicsimblr.tumblr.com/
    Origin: SeraphicPink

• loubyloulouloubyloulou Posts: 4,466 Member

Autonomy! I think that's a key to having traits on anyway. I think a lot of people turn Autonomy off, or lower it, so of course your sim doesn't have any type of personality when you are micromanaging them.
    Turn autonomy up a bit. Like, all the way. lol. It makes my game interesting anyway.

Absolutely! I always play with autonomy on as I enjoy the randomness of my Sims' actions, particularly when you have a Sim with negative traits - makes for more chaos :p
  • AericiaAericia Posts: 110 Member
    edited February 2018
    I love Sims with weird, "bad" traits!

My main characters are two orphaned evil brothers (teenager - on my avatar - and a kid), who always fighting and making mischief. The are very funny!
    Once I had evil male Sim, who hated children and got noncommittal trait - perfect father, hehe (he got 5 children, huh tragedy as hell!).
    I love jealous trait too. Usually I have evil guy and a jealous lady. When she screaming on him when he only talks with others is priceless for me.

And for me it is not very difficult to play evil Sims, seriously. Sometimes they are rude but it is not very challenging to make a good, loving couple.

Ps. Sorry for my mistakes in English.
    Origin ID: ukyojin
    Unofficial Polish Forum - simtopia.pl
  • WolfiumWolfium Posts: 2,672 Member
    edited February 2018
    My mean teen always offends someone. In her relationship panel she's listed as Childhood Tormentor to her older brothers, so whenever they see each other, they're +2 angry from being around family. The only one she's nice to is her boyfriend.

And I used all negative traits and all of them are fun, especially jealous and mean.
  • NathanANathanA Posts: 39 Member
    I always make sure to give my Sim two positive/neutral traits and one negative trait, but if my sim is meant to be evil, they'll only have one good trait and two bad traits. I like to use Squeamish, Loner and Hot headed a lot. My current legacy challenge founders spouse has the Squeamish trait. The clumsy trait is funny to watch too. They always break the dishes. ^-^