Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Restaurant success

I've had my sims own restaurants here and there but never really tried to make it succeed. I have questions!

1. Am I supposed to have my employees go to training every day? I have the option come up each shift.

2. 2 or 3 waiters? What's the best?

3. When do you promote the staff?

4. I had a waiter that did not show up to his shift. Is this a bug or just a bad employee? I fired him.

5. When do you know if a waiter is worth firing? Do they ever do anything wrong? As the owner, I usually "praise" them often but when would it be needed to criticize them?

6. What should the owner do to keep reviews up and staff happy? I just have the owner "welcome" each guest but what else should they do?

What are some other tips?

Comments

• Options
    AndiratymeAndiratyme Posts: 728 Member
    1. I usually have my sim send their employees to train every day. As they get better/higher in ran I do the more expensive training options.

2. I stick with however many are necessary to keep the guests satisfied. Most of the time this is one. On rare occasions, I'll have 2, but definitely no more than that.

3. I promote when I think they deserve it. When they get to lvl 3 in their skills I boost them to rank 2, and usually around 5 for 3, 7 for 4 and max for rank 5.

4. This seems to happen on occasion with employees. I just fire them and hire someone else.

5. Sometimes waiters will just stand around on their phone and do nothing. Usually this occurs at lower levels. I criticize them and make sure I send them for training. If they still do nothing, I fire them and hire someone else again.

6. Typically my sim will welcome everyone, then prioritize food once they've ordered. After that I always check on them once the food comes. I'll give free drinks if someone's food gets spilled or if the sims don't leave after getting their food which seems to be a glitch. Keeping staff happy is usually easiest by promoting regularly.
  • Options
    aaronrulzaaronrulz Posts: 4,098 Member
    Thank you @Andiratyme. One of my waitresses keeps leaving in the middle of the shift to go jogging, she comes back in street clothes to continue working. Is this a bug before I fire her? Beside that I feel there is a bug in general with the chefs. Food is taking way too long and I feel the game "resets" while running the restaurant. It's getting frustrating.
  • Options
    aaronrulz wrote: »
    Thank you @Andiratyme. One of my waitresses keeps leaving in the middle of the shift to go jogging, she comes back in street clothes to continue working. Is this a bug before I fire her? Beside that I feel there is a bug in general with the chefs. Food is taking way too long and I feel the game "resets" while running the restaurant. It's getting frustrating.

Does your lot have any of the lot traits like Sunny Kitchen or something like that? I realized mine did and it makes them active which they then go jogging randomly. Even when I removed it, they still do it and so do the customers. I don't know how to fix that. Sometimes the chefs do seem to glitch. They sometimes make the food and the waiter never takes it so one table doesn't get served. I don't know how to fix that either. :( Maybe someone else has some suggestions.
  • Options
    Andiratyme wrote: »

Does your lot have any of the lot traits like Sunny Kitchen or something like that? I realized mine did and it makes them active which they then go jogging randomly. Even when I removed it, they still do it and so do the customers. I don't know how to fix that. Sometimes the chefs do seem to glitch. They sometimes make the food and the waiter never takes it so one table doesn't get served. I don't know how to fix that either. :( Maybe someone else has some suggestions.

hmm..I will have to check if it is Sunny Aspect...but I fired her and hired someone new and so far no other incidents with the jogging waitress. lol
  • Options
    lukeahalukeaha Posts: 360 Member
    I hope to get some money for my birthday to buy some packs, and I have considered buying “dine out”.
    But I just read another thread where they ranted about this GP.
    And I can see that you two also have some trouble with it.
    But would you recommend it to me anyway? Because I very much like the idea to run a restaurant. And I hope for the function to actually “dine out”.

@aaronrulz
    @Andiratyme
  • Options
    Francl27Francl27 Posts: 761 Member
    Seems like it's the same kind of issues you run with when it comes to the vet career.
  • Options
    lukeaha wrote: »
    I hope to get some money for my birthday to buy some packs, and I have considered buying “dine out”.
    But would you recommend it to me anyway? Because I very much like the idea to run a restaurant. And I hope for the function to actually “dine out”.

@aaronrulz
    @Andiratyme

I do enjoy it when everything is working correctly. But for "Dine Out" there are some aspects where I don't know if it's a game bug or if it's the staff just slacking with work duties (i.e. slow food / waitress going out for a jog and coming back in street clothes). It can become repetitive but you have to find ways to mix it up. My male sim owner only hires mostly female staff and woohoo's them after the restaurant closes. haha! DRAMA! Once he gets bored with one he will just fire her. The one male staff he has, he ignores and doesn't promote him. I make sure I have Pufferfish Nigri as an appetizer and entree option with the chance someone will suffer the fatal food poisoning. Stuff like that keeps it interesting and fun.
  • Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Seems like it's the same kind of issues you run with when it comes to the vet career.

which issues? I have yet to run a vet clinic but it's on my list of things I haven't yet done in The Sims.
  • Options
    lukeahalukeaha Posts: 360 Member
    lukeaha wrote: »

@aaronrulz
    @Andiratyme

I do enjoy it when everything is working correctly. But for "Dine Out" there are some aspects where I don't know if it's a game bug or if it's the staff just slacking with work duties (i.e. slow food / waitress going out for a jog and coming back in street clothes). It can become repetitive but you have to find ways to mix it up. My male sim owner only hires mostly female staff and woohoo's them after the restaurant closes. haha! DRAMA! Once he gets bored with one he will just fire her. The one male staff he has, he ignores and doesn't promote him. I make sure I have Pufferfish Nigri as an appetizer and entree option with the chance someone will suffer the fatal food poisoning. Stuff like that keeps it interesting and fun.

Hahaha sounds like your sim is having a blast! :D Thanks for the tips!
  • Options
    Francl27Francl27 Posts: 761 Member

which issues? I have yet to run a vet clinic but it's on my list of things I haven't yet done in The Sims.

Useless employees, lol.
  • Options

Useless employees, lol.

I don't use employees in my vet clinics and I've easily gotten them to 5 stars. Not so easy with restaurants. Yes, I recommend it. Even if you don't want to own a restaurant it's still nice for your sims to go out once in a while. Just don't take the toddlers with you.