Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

GIFT OF CREATION GAME *UPDATE!!*

Comments

• KiearaPhoenixKiearaPhoenix Posts: 212 Member
    @Jude525 The flu this season is no joke. I hope you feel better soon, get lots of rest and stay hydrated!

@Merelhyn Totally understandable. Sorry your health isn't doing well.

I'm working on a couple starters mostly with a cute cottage/looks-like-it-belongs-in-a-fairytail theme. I might do a few futuristic or modern feel themed ones too now I'm getting the hang of it. But it is sooo hard to use mostly just the base game and to stay under 16,500 >_< like right now one is $4 away from that and I'm so unsatisfied with having it look the way it does. With starters how much wiggle room do most players want after buying?

Here's how it looks so far outside anyways:
    6e7867bf3a2aed1bb83166b645045079.png

• ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,355 Member
    edited February 2018
    @KiearaPhoenix That is adorable! I don't mind some wiggle room at all, especially when it makes it just 'that' much more special so my opinion is go for it. :)
  • EnvyfanEnvyfan Posts: 142 Member
    @KiearaPhoenix that house is super cute!

I really want to make something this month, but reading has consumed my life. I'll do my best to get something up!
    @Envyfan Since discovering Sims about 4 1/2 years ago I barely read anymore. I miss it.
    @ZeeGee yeah, for the longest time i was barely reading, but since the beginning of the year i started going to the library again so it's picked up quite a bit. (I seem to only read comics, graphic novels and manga. but those still count, right?)
  • scillakeesscillakees Posts: 1,112 Member
    audiobooks
    scillakees wrote: »
    audiobooks

@scillakees Audiobooks? So you can listen to books and sim at the same time?? That's BRILLIANT! And BTW, how the heck are ya?!
    Sim, clean, walk dogs, exercise etc all require an audiobook for me. I've been wonderful thanks. Sounds like you've got a bit going on. Hope all is well with you.
    @Envyfan They totally count. :)

@scillakees I have to check into this audiobook thing. Yes, thank you, I do have a lot going on right now. Kicking like crazy to keep my head above water!
    *QUEUE THE TRUMPETS* I HAVE A WONDERFUL ANNOUNCEMENT! We have a new sponsor! Okay, not a NEW sponsor, an old sponsor, wait, not saying Scilla is old....ANYhoo...

FEBRUARY PRIZE WILL BE 2000 SP! Which is enough to buy a venue, or Hidden Springs, or a bunch of little items to get those sets!

Thanks so much to @scillakees for gifting your simpoint gift to the gift of creation game!!

Small change in the rules: I've always accepted multiple entries as that was how the original game worked; however, to be fair to those who would like to enter but just don't have the time to work on a lot of entries - let's cut this down to TWO entries per person. You can always create more entries if you like, but only two will be entered for the prize points. I'll change this in the rules on the front page also.

WE'RE BACK ON!!
    WOOHOO! thank you @scillakees !
  • ninaumininaumi Posts: 363 Member
    This is really cool. I didn't know that there was already a creation thread in existence before I made my contest- the Creation Challenge Giveaway. I would like to participate in this and I would be more than happy to sponsor.

1) Worlds
    ---> Cities- the more skyscrapers, the better!
    ---> Bars, Clubs, Dive Bars
    ---> University lots
    ---> Dive lots (Island Paradise), Profession lots (Ambitions), Store Venues, etc

2) Houses/Luxury Mansions
    ---> House from Netflix’s Terrace House: Boys and Girls in the City
    ---> Mansions (64x64)
    ---> Late-Night apartments
    ---> Houseboats
    ---> Legacy Houses (64x64 lot)
    ---> Starter Homes (20x30, 30x30, 40x30 etc)

EPs: All
    SPs: All except for Katy Perry's Sweet Treats
    EA Sims 3 Worlds: Riverview, Lucky Palms, Sunlit Tides, Roaring Heights, Monte Vista, Hidden Springs, Lunar Lakes, Aurora Skies, Midnight Hollow
    EA Sims 3 Store Content: Everything. I own the store.
    Special Requests/Instructions: I really like modern houses- I would be happy to have anything between a 20x30 starter to a 64x64 mansion

Hi everyone! I would like to be sure I'm providing the requested thing - are Late Night apartments, for example, one entry, starter homes second, etc? I would like to try my hands on Late-Night apartments, and/or starter homes. Would that be okay?
  • Jude525Jude525 Posts: 1,696 Member
    Ugh, multiple thoughts fighting to get out...

1) Thank you @scillakes for sponosoring. It is always nice to see the opportunity for others to gain more content. And I have a soft spot for fellow creators. Although, I suppose all Simmers are creators on some level.

2) Comic books definitely count. There are entire countries, especially a few decades back, where the only reason the general population was literate was due to the availability of inexpensive and popular illustrated novels aka comic books. They often included variants of the classics, but were mostly contemporary fiction.

3) Audiobooks: Since my vertigo, if it weren't for audiobooks, I would barely get any "reading" done at all. I subscribe to Amazon Unlimited at the moment, but still use my online library access as much as possible. Problem there was that the limited sci-fi/fantasy titles just weren't keeping up with my consumption. However, I can't listen and play Sims simultaneously. For me, playing is like writing/watching a story, and I can't process two stories at the same time.

It would probably be amusing for others to observe me working. I drive for Uber and listen to Pandora when I have a passenger. But as soon as they are out I switch over to my current book. Then, I switch back when I get my next fare. It's a sometimes amusing juggling act.

Oh, and the problem with audiobooks in general is that they are a slower "read." My reading speed was pretty high my whole life. I used to burn through books. Unless you can tolerate the altered audio of a higher playback speed, and I can't, there is only one speed for an audiobook. That and the occasional "bad" narrator of a good story. I can't just give up on the book, but a poor reading of it reduces the enjoyment that little bit. I once had a narrator arbitrarily assign two characters Liverpoolean accents, even though the author only ever stated that they were English. And never that they were from the same part of England. Anyway, I'm not fond of the accent from that area in general, but the narrator did it badly. I mean, horribly. And, one was a secondary character. It detracted throughout. I don't know how the director or producer or whomever makes the decisions let her get away with it. For the record, I LOVE English accents in general. So, what could have been an additional pleasure was not only taken from me, but replaced by something horrible.

Ok, enough on THAT....

4) will be a separate post.....
    aka Jude
    I own the store as of 1+7/17/17

My Studio

My build thread in the Creative Corner
    edited February 2018
    I am going to present something new this month, REQUESTS!!!

Eps: All
    SPs: All
    EA Sims 3 Worlds: All
    EA Sims 3 Store Content: Everything
    Origin/Bundle Exclusives: A few items, but not worth mentioning. Maybe I'll look them up and add them.
    Special Requests: No laundry. Seriously. Although I find folding while I watch TV to be soothing, I really haven't learned to love it in game.
    What are your favorite themes? I am truly eclectic. Both in general and within a specific build. Unless otherwise stated, mix it up. A house is rarely all matchy/matchy in the real world.
    What are your favorite Colors? In OE, Mid to deep greens and sea tones. In game, I also like bright citrus blends, especially orange/yellow. Also, grey undertones with pops of either bright colors (tangerine, teal, etc) or deep colors (eggplant, dark green.)
    What are your dislikes? Again, the laundry. Goth in general, except maybe in one spare room to be used for a moody teen. Too many stairs, other than LL builds.
    What do you especially like? Compact homes. I like it when my Sims don't have to spend 5 minutes walking to the nearest bathroom or from the stove to the dining area. Of course, there are always exceptions when the theme of the home supersedes this.

Creation Wishlist Wants:
    1. Small to mid-size futuristic homes (1-4 bedroom) and public areas for Lunar Landings.
    2. Small to mid-size homes and public areas for Isla Paradiso and Sunlit Tides.
    3. OH!!!!! AND!!!! Feel free to populate any of these homes with your favorite Sims. Aliens are welcome in LL. I'll be needing neighbors. If I want to live in the home, I can always evict them in setup. Or I may even play them as is.

I'd like the Lunar Landings submissions to stick with the general design aesthetic of pilings, but some ground levels are fine. I don't know why EA created this concept, I've never seen an explanation, but I don't want to break with it.

Feel free to include outdoor living as primary living space, as is often seen in the tropics. As long as there is some indoor space for rainy days, because I do play with Seasons on and it will rain. OH, and I always have one cat or dog. If you have Pets, please include at least the basics. If not, consider space for things like food bowls, litter boxes and scratching posts.

I am planning on playing these three worlds soon and want to have some non-EA content. With Lunar Landings the extra lots are an absolute must. There simply aren't enough available from EA. And, although I want the general aesthetic maintained, I am hoping to break away from the cookie cutter effect a little.

Finally, CC. I am not adverse to Custom Content. But, many users are. And, most of what is created here gets people excited to be used in their own games. (Of course!) If you are a CC user and have something cool you think I'd like, maybe show it in your build in some pics and provide a link where I can get it. But, please don't include it in the submission, so that no one installs it unintentionally. I think that would be a cool compromise.

I realize that this is way out of what we are used to seeing here, but it is something I need and I'm hoping it will give someone a chance to present something different.

EDIT: Feel free to submit empty homes for LL. If you have a great idea for an exterior and well groomed yard, but aren't feeling it inside, just put up enough interior content to make it livable for a game generated NPC (bed, kitchen, bathroom) and don't worry about it. I won't be living in all of them.
    aka Jude

My Studio

@ninaumi Yes, that would be fine!

@Jude525 Yay, another creation wishlist! And a good one too! Lots of original requests. I would really love to try that Lunar Lakes request if I can find some time.

I read pretty fast too so I've never tried audiobooks. I can see how the accents could really throw you off on a character. That happens in YouTube machinimas too. One I was watching had a snobby WASP guy but the voice actor had a 'ghetto' accent. Is that word acceptable? I don't know how else to describe it. Anyway, my point was it just completely takes you out of the story when the voices don't match!

And ugh, I don't like laundry either! Need to put that in my dislikes too.
    @KiearaPhoenix Thanks, I finally got tested and it wasn't flu, and I am actually on my way back to normal. Got out of the house today. Yay!

And I love the little cottage!
    aka Jude

My Studio

I use the library, Internet Archive's LibriVox and Audible. I think narrator quality has steadily gone up the last few years. But I will admit I'm a bit immune to bad narration since I take full advantage of the public domain recordings. Some readings are amazing and some are amazingly bad. I have most issues with a series changing narrators and the pronunciation is completely changed. Audio books are much slower, but since my eyes are changing with age, I can't seem to sit and read for long anymore. Slower is better than not at all. And I'm too much of a klutz to hold a book while I'm mopping the floor.

Actually sim related: What is an LL build? And how can you two look yourselves in the mirror knowing that your are depriving your poor sims of the adorable little laundry gnome?
    @scillakees Just looked up LibriVox and Audible, interesting! Seems like a good way to de-stress on my lunch hour (or lunch 15 minutes is more like it!). Trying to imagine you attaching a book to the top of a mop handle ... :lol:

LL is Lunar Lakes! An interesting and fun world but one I've not played in much, so looking forward to booting it up.

What is this laundry gnome?! Now I must add laundry temporarily to find out. :lol:
  • KiearaPhoenixKiearaPhoenix Posts: 212 Member
    @Jude525 Yay! Glad it wasn't the flu ^^

@scillakees Woweeee that is such a nice surprise!

I was having sooo much fun challenging myself making little tiny starter homes that time got away and before I knew it I made about 4 to 5 starters ^_^; heh heh heh.
    But I think for the new rules I'll submit the first cottage and then maybe have a go at a futuristic home for Jude's Lunar Lakes. That world will always have a soft spot in my heart, it was my go to sci-fi place.
    edited February 2018
    I was on Audible for years, until I realized that for a little more than I was paying for one book a month I could join Kindle Unlimited, which includes the Audible narration on thousands of their titles. And, when the Audible narration isn't included, I can often buy it for less than $2 a title.

@scillakees, a change in narrator mid-series is such a common complaint. Luckily, I've only encountered it once that mattered. My favorite series, The Dresden Files, a series of 15 books so far, have all been narrated by actor James Marsters (Spike on Buffy, the Vampire Slayer and Angel.) However, he was unavailable for the scheduled release of one book, so they hired someone else. I swear, it was only tolerable because I knew James would be back for the rest of the series. Actually, there was a rumor about the audiobook being re-released, but I don't know if this was something Audible actually considered. I think this was especially relevant since James' characterization reminded me of actor Paul Blackthorne's, who introduced me to the character on the TV series. I actually wish they had hired Paul to fill in for James. It would have been a smoother transition.

I've tried the public narrations, but find them too uneven an experience for my taste.
    aka Jude

My Studio

@Jude525 I missed your post about the flu. Glad you’re OK
    ZeeGee wrote: »
    @scillakees Just looked up LibriVox and Audible, interesting! Seems like a good way to de-stress on my lunch hour (or lunch 15 minutes is more like it!). Trying to imagine you attaching a book to the top of a mop handle ... :lol:

LL is Lunar Lakes! An interesting and fun world but one I've not played in much, so looking forward to booting it up.

What is this laundry gnome?! Now I must add laundry temporarily to find out. :lol:

@ZeeGee, don't rule out the public library, you can borrow audio/ebooks from home now.
    LL = Lunar Lakes lol, I should have known that. I was thinking it was some fancy house style or something.
    um, you don't know about the most adorable laundry gnome? Hang your head in shame!
    What could you eat in 15 minutes? How are you supposed to do your job properly if you don't have time to eat? :(:(

@Jude525 A few years ago Amazon bought Audibe. We have the option to buy the kindle text for cheap too. But I have an old Nook.
    If you haven't tried the Internet Archive for awhile you might be surprised. Many aspiring audio book narrators are using it to land themselves paying jobs now. The quality has improved tremendously over the last few years. But yes there are still a some really bad readings too. Conversely I have purchased a few books from Audible that are literally reading for the blind books. How they get by with selling them I don't know. I also like to listen to the classics and old history books so the narrator options tend to be limited for them. I'll take free whenever possible. As for Narrator changes :rage: I'm listening to the Malazan prequels now, and it took me 2 chapters to realize he was talking about the same places/races/people as in the other 10 books. The pronunciation is so different it's unrecognizable. :rage:

@KiearaPhoenix your starter home pic is adorable, can't wait to see what you make for Lunar Lakes.
    scillakees wrote: »
    @ZeeGee, don't rule out the public library, you can borrow audio/ebooks from home now.
    LL = Lunar Lakes lol, I should have known that. I was thinking it was some fancy house style or something.
    um, you don't know about the most adorable laundry gnome? Hang your head in shame!
    What could you eat in 15 minutes? How are you supposed to do your job properly if you don't have time to eat? :(:(

That is cool. I have a library card somewhere. Haven't been in ages. *Head hung in shame*

Yes, 12 hour shifts and not much time to eat! I usually snack on fruit and drink smoothies to keep me going but I have been known to scarf down a microwave mac'n'cheese while charting at the computer. :tired_face:
    @scillakees yes, being both a Prime member and Audible at the time of the merge kept me informed and there are times when, even with a book that isn't on Unlimited, it is cheaper to buy the Kindle edition and then the Audible add-on then just the Audible edition. And, in case you didn't know, you can always "return" books to Audible if you are disappointed. I have done it twice. Once because of the narration and once because I simple couldn't get into the book. They gave me no problem either time.

Back on topic, I'm pushing through to get one of my current Sims to master the Fortune Teller career so that I can explore more aspects of Supernatural. The career path pays so little it's killing me, but I'm Level 9, so I want to finish before I give up and have both Sims concentrate on gardening and alchemy. I want to see about building an alchemy shop and making that their source of income. I've tried placing items for consignment, but can't get it to work. Owning the shop will hopefully get around that.
    aka Jude

My Studio

• MerelhynMerelhyn Posts: 370 Member
    So… actually my health deteriorated so much I had to miss work, which is not good news. But I was able to play a little Sims today. Of course, instead of advancing all my ongoing projects, I just had to start a new one, since @Jude525 offered us a new wishlist! And of course I couldn't do something easy, I had to take the Lunar Lakes request even though I don't own LL.

I watched the official pictures and tried to make a little house (only one bedroom), with an honeycomb floorplan (since there is an honeycomb garden in the pictures). I underestimated how difficult it would be to furnish a house with so many diagonal walls but it worked fine in the end. I furnished it mostly with Into the Future, with some objects from Futureshock Bedroom. It's friendly for a cat.

It's nearly finished but I'm not that happy with the colours. I tried to follow the request, a little mismatched and lived in, and it's not bad but at the same time, I'm not that enthusiastic for the result. I used the fantasy trees present in LL and the floor paint tagged LL, so it should integrate well in that world. I hope.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top