Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can't install .packages at all!

Ok, so many, many mods that are .packages have been made for the Sims 3, and I think a lot of them are pretty great. The problem: .packages are much, much harder to install. There's this tutorial, I think it's on Mod the Sims. They have a folder that you have to download, which was already in my folder, but there weren't any subfolders in my original. So long story short, I've had to download and trash the Mods folder several times because I have no idea how this works. And nothing ever succeeded. The main mod I want to download is Mastercontroller, but it's a .package. And I've learned now, that no matter what I do, I cannot use .packages. Can anyone help me?

Comments

• puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    Whoever knows how to help you will want your computer's specs as well as the specific steps you've tried so far. The nraas mods are very easy to install, but they do need to be unzipped and placed in the proper framework, so the first question to answer might be how you tried to arrange things in your Documents folder.
  • jamiehoodjamiehood Posts: 126 Member
    Whoever knows how to help you will want your computer's specs as well as the specific steps you've tried so far. The nraas mods are very easy to install, but they do need to be unzipped and placed in the proper framework, so the first question to answer might be how you tried to arrange things in your Documents folder.

You know, there's the mods folder in the Sims 3 folder, and I tried unzipping things and putting them in it. When that didn't work, I downloaded the framework from MTS, and did the same stuff with that, but it still didn't work. Repeat about 10 times That's what I've done

Also, what are specs?
    You probably know most if not all of this, but just to be as specific as possible, I have my mods folder in Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3, and in the Mods folder is a folder labeled Packages (where my nraas mods live) and a document called Resources.cfg. The guides I've read say that how you use upper- and lower-case matters as well. I also unzipped my downloaded mods before placing them in the folder.
    jamiehood wrote: »
    Also, what are specs?

What kind of computer do you have? When did you buy it, what graphics card do you have, etc. The later systems don't always run TS3 well, but there are all kinds of troubleshooting steps that can make things work, provided the people helping you know what you're running.
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    @igazor Mod help on Mac thanks!
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited February 2018
    This kind of re-states what has already been said, but anyway...

In your TS3 user game folder in Documents, there will be a folder you have placed there (it doesn't show up by itself) called Mods. There must be three and only three things inside of it -- a Packages folder, an Overrides folder (usually left empty) and the required Resource.cfg file. Actual .package files like mods go inside of the Packages subfolder (not inside of Mods directly).

The point of the Framework download from MTS is that includes everything you need plus two small sample mods, NoIntroMovie and NoBuildSparkles for testing. If the Framework is working, then you will get a script mod detected notification on startup with the two sample mods listed and the Intro Movie will be suppressed. Don't worry about MasterController yet, let's concentrate on getting the Framework recognized first. Is this not happening?

The setup should look exactly as illustrated on the MTS page, except of course for around the edges where OS X looks different from Windows 7 as shown, and it all works exactly the same way. Is this exactly what your setup looks like?
    http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Installing_Sims_3_Package_Files/Setup_and_Files

If so, let's take one more step. There will already be a file in your TS3 user game folder in Documents as well called DeviceConfig.log (or it may show up as just DeviceConfig, but it's the same file). Do a right-click on it and Get Info. Does the modification date/time exactly match the last time you started up your game, or is it from some time way in the past? If you aren't sure, then start up the game. The modification date/time on that file should change to current instantly. Does it do so?
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    edited February 2018
    igazor wrote: »
    This kind of re-states what has already been said, but anyway...

In your TS3 user game folder in Documents, there will be a folder you have placed there (it doesn't show up by itself) called Mods. There must be three and only three things inside of it -- a Packages folder, an Overrides folder (usually left empty) and the required Resource.cfg file. Actual .package files like mods go inside of the Packages subfolder (not inside of Mods directly).

The point of the Framework download from MTS is that includes everything you need plus two small sample mods, NoIntroMovie and NoBuildSparkles for testing. If the Framework is working, then you will get a script mod detected notification on startup with the two sample mods listed and the Intro Movie will be suppressed. Don't worry about MasterController yet, let's concentrate on getting the Framework recognized first. Is this not happening?

The setup should look exactly as illustrated on the MTS page, except of course for around the edges where OS X looks different from Windows 7 as shown, and it all works exactly the same way. Is this exactly what your setup looks like?
    http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Installing_Sims_3_Package_Files/Setup_and_Files

If so, let's take one more step. There will already be a file in your TS3 user game folder in Documents as well called DeviceConfig.log (or it may show up as just DeviceConfig, but it's the same file). Do a right-click on it and Get Info. Does the modification date/time exactly match the last time you started up your game, or is it from some time way in the past? If you aren't sure, then start up the game. The modification date/time on that file should change to current instantly. Does it do so?

@igazor So what should I do if the framework isn't working? I downloaded the framework for the millionth time, and moved it to my Sims 3 folder. It seemed to look fine, with the Packages and Overrides folder, Resource.cfg, and both mods that were put in there before all unzipped. But when I play the game, nothing works

I just checked my device config thing, and it does have the last date I opened the game
    Post edited by jamiehood on
    Please? Does anyone know anything?
    I'm not really the expert here, but I can repeat the questions people tend to ask when helping someone troubleshoot. Have you double-checked that the mod files you're downloading are compatible with the patch level of your game? And specifically, which patch are you on?

Is the intro movie (which plays just before the loading screen of whichever EP launches your game) suppressed when you load your game, or does it still play? When you hit the main menu, does a list pop up with the names of the mods you have, or do you only see the menu itself? If you could provide as many details of what you see along the way as possible, it will be easier for igazor (and maybe others who show up) to figure out where the problem might be.

Also, this problem could have nothing to do with what you're running, but if you can list you computer's specifications—what model, which OS, which graphics card, maybe how much memory and RAM if it's older—that will be one less step if and when the genius bar decides that your issues might be due to your setup.
    @igazor So what should I do if the framework isn't working? I downloaded the framework for the millionth time, and moved it to my Sims 3 folder. It seemed to look fine, with the Packages and Overrides folder, Resource.cfg, and both mods that were put in there before all unzipped. But when I play the game, nothing works

I just checked my device config thing, and it does have the last date I opened the game
    Okay, that last part is good news. I was worried that you had a second "live" game folder on your Mac someplace that was being read from instead of the intended one in Documents; this does happen sometimes. But we can rule that out now.

What patch level is your game at, please? The entire mod structure as we have been describing it only works on Patches 1.12 and higher (this is the one that came out alongside of Ambitions; if you have that EP and any that came out after it then you are already at a higher and sufficient patch level). And you need to be on a much higher patch level than that to use NRaas mods, but the two sample ones should be fine on 1.12 or higher.

If you are intending to be on Patch 1.67, which is current for the Mac version of the game, I would suggest running EA's SuperPatcher to ensure that your patch level did not become compromised along the way as can happen. It's a huge download but easy to run once you get it; make sure to get the correct version for your region or install type. If it says you are already up to date, make it run anyway.
    https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/the-sims/the-sims-3/the-sims-3-super-patcher

If still no dice, then I suggest you use your built-in Grab utility to take three screen shots for us:
    -- Your TS3 user game folder, showing as much of its contents as possible
    -- Your Mods folder, showing its contents in Detail View
    -- Your Packages folder, showing its contents in Detail View

Upload them to a third party file hosting service and provide us some links here so we can see how you have things arranged.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    edited February 2018
    Ah, and there is one more thing to try that I see we have ALL neglected to mention. Shame on us.

Whenever the contents of Mods\Packages changes in any way, and this includes putting a new Framework folder in place, the scriptCache.package file on the top level of the same TS3 user game folder must be cleared (deleted). It will re-generate on the next startup. Have you been doing this step? There's actually five cache files in total that should be cleared, but this is the one relevant to script mods and getting them working as they should.

And if still no dice and all else fails, the final thing to try would be to pull your TS3 user game folder out of Documents entirely to the Desktop (or rename it). The game will spawn a new user game folder in its place, with no added content no saves, etc., but those will all be safe back in the pulled out folder. Can you get the Framework to be recognized and the sample mods to work on a freshly spawned game folder as described?
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    @igazor Ok, thank you very much
    @igazor So I've tried everything you said. I'm not sure if the 2 package mods are functioning as they should. For the no intro, I didn't get a script mod notification, but it did only play the maxis animation, and then skip straight to loading. For the no build sparkles, there weren't any sparkles, but I can't remember them ever being there in the first place. I'm not sure if I'm doing this right.
    @igazor So I've tried everything you said. I'm not sure if the 2 package mods are functioning as they should. For the no intro, I didn't get a script mod notification, but it did only play the maxis animation, and then skip straight to loading. For the no build sparkles, there weren't any sparkles, but I can't remember them ever being there in the first place. I'm not sure if I'm doing this right.
    I wouldn't worry about the lack of notification if the mods actually seem to be doing the two little things they are intended to. Now try adding in one NRaas mod, let's say the MasterController base mod for example (not any of the add-ons yet) and delete the scriptCache file. With or without the notification, that should give you an NRaas menu with MC options under it on City Hall, sims, and lots. If that one works, then you have a working Framework and can proceed from there.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    I wouldn't worry about the lack of notification if the mods actually seem to be doing the two little things they are intended to. Now try adding in one NRaas mod, let's say the MasterController base mod for example (not any of the add-ons yet) and delete the scriptCache file. With or without the notification, that should give you an NRaas menu with MC options under it on City Hall, sims, and lots. If that one works, then you have a working Framework and can proceed from there.

Sorry, but what is the scriptCache file? Does that come with MC?
    edited February 2018
    On the top level of the TS3 user game folder in Documents, there will be five cache files. These should be cleared (deleted) on a regular basis when the game is not running, and definitely whenever the contents of Mods\Packages changes in any way. They will respawn on their own the next time the game is launched. The problem is that they tend to get clogged with outdated information. The scriptCache.package file is the one most relevant to script mods.

CasPartCache.package
    compostorCache.package
    scriptCache.package
    simCompositorCache.package
    socialCache.package (this one is optional)

The ".package" part of the file names may or may not show depending on preferences arranged in your operating system, but it's the same files regardless.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    @igazor Thank you so much! It's finally working! So, when I want to install other .packages do I just put them in the packages folder? Will they then appear in my game?
    edited February 2018
    Awesome! Now, if there is any other added content you had (not mods, I mean store content, CC, library files, installed worlds, saved sims, saved games, etc.) in the original not working right user game folder, you will want to consider adding those into your new one.

Yes, additional mods can be added by adding their ,package file to the Packages folder and, each time, clearing the scriptCache file.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Awesome! Now, if there is any other added content you had (not mods, I mean store content, CC, library files, installed worlds, saved sims, saved games, etc.) in the original not working right user game folder, you will want to consider adding those into your new one.

Yes, additional mods can be added by adding their ,package file to the Packages folder and, each time, clearing the scriptCache file.

@igazor
    I think everything's working fine, but I'll check. Do I need to clear every cache each time, or just the scriptCache file? All of my saved games seem to be working fine, though. I'll check my cc and store content.

One more thing. When I downloaded MC, I got a message that said that wikispaces will be closing later this year. Will all of the NRaas content be gone forever after that?
    Many players (including me) clear all five cache files before we start up our games ever time. Or after we finish playing and quit, which amounts to the same thing. They should definitely be cleared after the contents of Mods\Packages changes in any way or even when sims3pack content is added. I was concentrating on the scriptCache file because we were talking about script mods, but it's really all of them that should be cleared.

NRaas will have moved to our own website before Wikispaces shuts down. That's something that has been in the works for quite a while now already anyway.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    @igazor just one more thing: can I add multiple mods to my folder at once without clearing the caches in between? That would be a lot more efficient for me, but I understand if I have to do them one at a time
    edited February 2018
    @igazor just one more thing: can I add multiple mods to my folder at once without clearing the caches in between? That would be a lot more efficient for me, but I understand if I have to do them one at a time
    You can add multiple mods at the same time. The one at a time thing was meant to take things very slowly when your Framework was not functioning at all to hopefully narrow down where the problem was coming from.

o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    @igazor Ok, thank you very much! I've got everything up and running now, and I'm very happy