Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Out of curiosity, would you buy a new computer just to play The Sims?

Comments

• SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited January 2018
    Yes
    Ciarassims wrote: »
    SimplyJen wrote: »
    SimplyJen wrote: »
    Yep! I'm soon gonna be treating myself to a new computer case, new motherboard, AMD Ryzen and a GTX 1050ti so I suppose that could qualify as a new pc :D
    Basically... what's left is a hard drive, ram, and power supply. :p I'm sure someone is helping you already but it's important to make sure your current power supply has enough wattage for the upgrades.

I've got those three so I don't really think I need to get a new one of those, I don't think? And my current power supply is like 500w so I might have to find out if that's suitable or not :)
    500w is good. The ram will need to be compatible with the motherboard. You may want to look into the price for a new computer over upgrading if you factor in the cost to hire someone if you're not doing the work yourself.

How do I find out about the ram?

Assuming you're currently using Windows and this path can differ depending on which Windows operating system... Check your ram type:
    http://smallbusiness.chron.com/detect-type-ram-pc-69142.html
    The motherboard for AMD Ryzen will use DDR4 type ram. 8GB is the enough for the average user but if the budget allows and you often multitask, 16gb is good. You want to have the ram run in dual-channel so that's a set of 8GB (2 x 4GB) or 16GB (2 x 8GB).

If PC building/upgrading is something you need to learn more about if you don't have someone helping you, https://pcpartpicker.com can get you started. The site allows you to put together a part list checking for compatibility, build guides, and a forum with people willing to help. A user here by the name of chesterbigbird can help too. She doesn't mind helping via PM.

edit: If your current computer is a pre-built, then you probably have an OEM copy of Windows. You will need to purchase either a new OEM copy or even better, full version of Windows. The current OEM is tied to the motherboard and CPU. This means reinstalling Windows. Backup anything important externally beforehand.
    Post edited by SimplyJen on
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • fractiouspipfractiouspip Posts: 13 New Member
    Yes
    I would but I don't see me doing this anytime soon. This pc is reasonable (was good 5 years ago) and it struggled to run the sims 3 on High/Very high. Textures took a brain killing long time to load. Sims 4 runs like a dream on it with most ep's and packs. It would be nice to save on space though and buy a gaming laptop but they cost a lot and our son threw a weeble at the tv and smashed the screen so we'll be replacing that first :-/
  • TrowiciaTrowicia Posts: 2,027 Member
    No
    Nah, I already have a custom built PC for other gaming purposes other than The Sims.
    // take me back to 2018.
  • GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    Yes
    That's what I did for Sims 2 and Sims 3. Oh, heck, and for Sims 1. lol Once my hard drive died in 2013, I had to get another new pc. And then I finally upgraded my video card in 2016 too for Sims 3 (and other games like GTA V, Assassin's Creed Origins, etc.)
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• CiarassimsCiarassims Posts: 3,547 Member
    Yes
    @SimplyJen Okay thank you for that :) I'll have a check
    giphy_1.gif
  • Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    Yes
    I would, and I have. Twice. If and when should there be a Sims 5, I would be more than willing to do so again should it appeal to me.
  • LadyMcCrackenLadyMcCracken Posts: 31 Member
    Yes
    I probably would... But if it gets to the point where The Sims requires "Top-of-the-line" graphics and processors that surpass what my "gaming PC" can already handle- it would be 100% worth it.
  • bionicdessertsbionicdesserts Posts: 320 Member
    Yes
    I just did. Cat and Dogs was a little bit to much for my old computer and there was a gaming tower on black friday at walmart so I said why not. It was a Treat Yo Self 2017 moment.
  • OhHeyLuckyOhHeyLucky Posts: 1,338 Member
    No
    It is really situational for me. I don't just play The Sims, so I would weigh getting a new computer on all the other games I would want to play as well. But if it were just the sims, and my computer could handle it, but just barely? I might. But if it's the computer I have now? No. Different strokes for different folks. :)
  • PninaSimmerPninaSimmer Posts: 371 Member
    Yes
    I got a new laptop for my birthday last year primarily for Sims. I still use my old one for other things and the new one helps for school work too, but yeah it was mainly purchased for Sims. No shame!
  • CorkysPetalsCorkysPetals Posts: 1,400 Member
    Hmmm....

I did for Sims 3 and 4(back in 2014). But If my current laptop stopped being able to play Sims 4(but could still play Sims 3 and my other games), I'd say no. I don't feel the love like I used to.
  • HyunHeeHyunHee Posts: 390 Member
    edited February 2018
    No
    I wouldn't buy a new computer to play a single game but I would if I played multiple games that required a computer.
    2vc864m.jpg

• Felicity1169Felicity1169 Posts: 592 Member
    Yes
    Okay, so I didn't buy a new computer just to play the sims. My old laptop completely died after 6 faithful years, but The Sims was one of the main reasons I chose to buy a gaming laptop.
  • Goofhead2Goofhead2 Posts: 69 Member
    Yes
    Yes I did, it wasn't just solely the sims though. I bought it to play other computer games as well but mostly the sims as my last laptop couldn't handle sims 4. Funny enough this computer can handle 4 just fine but 3 is a drag. Might have something to do with the fact that I own all of it.
  • sassygray5sassygray5 Posts: 546 Member
    Yes
    Yes and have done it!
  • ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    Yes
    I wouldn't buy a new computer to play a single game but I would if I played multiple games that required a computer.
    I play multiple games. But the situation usually is that my games run well on my old computer. But then I want to play a new game which maybe also runs on my old computer but just not on the high settings that I would like to use. So then I realize that my computer has become a little old and I start considering to buy a new one - and I usually buy it shortly after that because the money doesn’t matter much to me. So I have no good reason to wait :)
  • GoodywoodGoodywood Posts: 4,614 Member
    edited February 2018
    Yes
    I would and I have with TS2 and TS3. :smiley:

This is a good poll for the Devs to see. People are willing to pay for a new PC to play an Updated game.
    PLEASE FIX TEENS IN TS4! I NEED YOUNGER TEENS NOT YA TEENS! (^_^)Please add Music Bands with lead singers! Please add vehicles and garages! Vehicles have always been part of The Sims.
  • Inna MinnitInna Minnit Posts: 2,008 Member
    Would and did.
  • 3KNPen3KNPen Posts: 2,825 Member
    edited February 2018
    Yes
    It is definitely going to be (BIG) part of the equation when I buy my next computer. Both the ability to continue playing Sims 4 as smoothly as it has been but hopefully to also be able to finally be able to play Sims 3 on a computer that can handle it properly. And I fret about the inevitable switch to Windows 10 and my ability to use my Sims 2 disks.
    ~ ~ ~
  • aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    Yes
    3KNPen wrote: »
    It is definitely going to be (BIG) part of the equation when I buy my next computer. Both the ability to continue playing Sims 4 as smoothly as it has been but hopefully to also be able to finally be able to play Sims 3 on a computer that can handle it properly. And I fret about the inevitable switch to Windows 10 and my ability to use my Sims 2 disks.

@3KNPen - If you have your disks for TS2, I think you should be able to get the complete collection on Origin through EA Help.
  • 3KNPen3KNPen Posts: 2,825 Member
    Yes
    @aricarai I have been thinking on that. When the time comes I will probably try to get the UC but for now I'm enjoying using my disks as it gives me something not connected to Origin or Steam to play should I need to. Also I'm a giant chicken so having to talk to someone to acquire it is a huge anxiety factor for me lol.
    ~ ~ ~
  • Saga-MinxSaga-Minx Posts: 580 Member
    Yes
    Absolutely. Already did. :)
  • LizzychicagoLizzychicago Posts: 873 Member
    Yes
    Yes, like so many others, the computer I have now I bought specifically to play The Sims 4. As of now, it IS the only game I play.
    Check my builds and Sims out on the Gallery, username Lizzychicago!
  • Saunta2Saunta2 Posts: 870 Member
    Yes
    My desktop was built just for Sims
  • ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    Yes
    Goodywood wrote: »
    I would and I have with TS2 and TS3. :smiley:

This is a good poll for the Devs to see. People are willing to pay for a new PC to play an Updated game.
    The problem here just is that although we are willing to pay for a new computer for our own games we most likely aren’t if it instead is our 13 years old daughter who wants a better computer to be able to play the game on higher settings. In such a case we most likely instead will just ask her to enjoy the game on lower settings and wait a couple of years to get a better computer anyway ;)

So alas I don’t think that we will be able to convince EA that it isn’t necessary to give the game such low minimum requirements because higher requirements would alas almost certainly harm the sales numbers severely anyway.