Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What is considered a necropost?

Comments

• CharlottesmomCharlottesmom Posts: 7,015 Member
    Count me in as well! :)
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,255 Member
    I suppose you could either send Lanna a PM, ask on her wall about this or tag her in this thread to see what she says.

I know this is something that I've been thinking about as I have a couple of threads that I had started years ago to show off some of my builds, so I was wondering that if I ever decide to post in them if they would get locked.

I myself would think that the sections in the Creative Corner would be off limits to that rule since we do have members who might have a thread or 2 that they try to keep either their creations and/or stories in.

• pandabear1836pandabear1836 Posts: 2,269 Member
    Did anyone get an answer to this from @EA_Lanna ?
  • EA_LannaEA_Lanna Posts: 3,867 EA Community Manager
    edited January 2018
    I'm going to merge this with the dedicated Necroposting thread that is active so as not to spam or flood the boards with this topic. I'll respond to this query there. (Apologies I hadn't spotted the original tag so thanks to @pandabear1836 for bumping it with me)
    @EA_Lanna, Are Stories & Legacies threads subject to the "necro-post" rules (if one is the author)? Sometimes my muse leaves me for months at a time and I have nothing new to post until such time as my muse comes back which could take from 6 months to an year or more on some stories. I have a Supernatural Story-line that is kind of "stagnant" at the moment. Just thought that I'd get clarification from a Sim_Guru before I start resurrecting a story thread of mine with a fresh-post, especially if it's over an year old (luckily not yet at the moment - but it all depends on whether I get a fresh post thanks to my dormant muse - for that story).

Thanks for asking @Nikkei_Simmer. Story and Legacies threads are exceptions to the Necroposting rule as they are stories.

The majority of threads are discussions that focus on an current issue or current content, etc (massive generalization but you know what I mean ^^) which are designed to drop off eventualty and that's the difference. Stories and legacies are designed to be added onto. Stories continue to grow and evolve overtime and therefore can never be considered an outdated or irrelevant topic because it isn't a topic, it's a story. They are different to your average threads as a result. Another way to look at this is when you have a new addition to add to the story, this is the equivalent of adding "new information" which I outlined above as an acceptable necro.

So in short bumps and comments to such threads are more than fine by the OP as that is the nature of these threads. Good question and thanks for asking it :)
    Post edited by EA_Lanna on
    • New Simmers, take a moment to read through this thread.
    • The Help Center is hosted on Answers HQ. Check out EA_Mage's thread on why.
    • Please post all Sims 4 Bug Reports, Technical and Gameplay issues in the AHQ Sims 4 Section.
    • Here is a quick link to The Sims forum rules
    oa2aib6yaucg.jpg

• Amistri2016Amistri2016 Posts: 65 Member
    As far as necroposting is concerned, if I run into an issue with the game & I look up a solution to see if other simmers are dealing with the same issue & a post pops up from say 3 years ago why should I be held responsible for adding to that old post when the designers & tech support of the game didn't care enough to fix the issue?

EA/Maxis needs to stop setting up these ridiculous forum rules that prevent their customer base from speaking out. Simply have a forum moderator remove posts that are gathering dusts before they get "necro-posted" in the first place.
    edited February 2018
    As far as necroposting is concerned, if I run into an issue with the game & I look up a solution to see if other simmers are dealing with the same issue & a post pops up from say 3 years ago why should I be held responsible for adding to that old post when the designers & tech support of the game didn't care enough to fix the issue?

EA/Maxis needs to stop setting up these ridiculous forum rules that prevent their customer base from speaking out. Simply have a forum moderator remove posts that are gathering dusts before they get "necro-posted" in the first place.

But some of these old posts may contain useful info that still might be good, so it's good that they keep them up even if they have to close them. to keep the older threads from taking over.

Edit to say that some nice helpful member has started threads for new members who may have issues with their game so that the much older threads don't need to be bumped back up... :)

Sims 3 issues
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/893122/thread-for-new-members-to-post-their-sims-3-game-issues#latest
    Sims 4 issues
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/878318/thread-for-new-members-to-post-game-issues#latest
    edited February 2018
    As far as necroposting is concerned, if I run into an issue with the game & I look up a solution to see if other simmers are dealing with the same issue & a post pops up from say 3 years ago why should I be held responsible for adding to that old post
    @Amistri2016, you are responsible and held accountable for everything you post to the forum and adhering to the forum rules - necroposting being one of those rules. I've covered the necroposting rule (HERE), its purpose (same comment) and how to not break it (HERE) in my earlier messages. I would encourage you to review those among others in this thread for more information.
    when the designers & tech support of the game didn't care enough to fix the issue?
    The developers care very much! They have to listen to the community as a whole to help determine what needs to be addressed as, well, not everyone sees eye to eye or wants the same things implemented into the game. Patches are released to help address bugs, glitches and issues as often as they can precisely because they care so much about the community, products and their customer base. Our developers aren't always able to acknowledge that feedback or address every issue posted but this shouldn't be used as confirmation that they don't care nor as a justifiable excuse for breaking forum rules. It certainly doesn't mean it hasn't been heard.
    EA/Maxis needs to stop setting up these ridiculous forum rules that prevent their customer base from speaking out.
    The rules and guidelines are in place to ensure The Sims community members have a fun, safe space to engage with each other and provide feedback. They do not prevent the customer base nor our community members from searching solutions, expressing concerns or providing feedback even if that feedback is negative. Negative feedback is often what allows us to change or grow, however that feedback needs to be constructive and respectful of the forum rules. Failing to do so i.e. toxic, unconstructive, baiting, etc is the only scenario where content would be moderated. SimGuruDrake said it best when she said:
    "We want our players to feel at home on the Sims forums. Anyone should feel comfortable asking for help, sharing their tips and tricks, and having fun discussing the games. To do so we have a few rules that we’d like you to keep in mind so we can keep forum the great place that it is."
    Simply have a forum moderator remove posts that are gathering dusts before they get "necro-posted" in the first place.
    I'd like to avoid repeating myself too much. I can link to my comment from earlier in this thread that addresses this query: HERE

• Please post all Sims 4 Bug Reports, Technical and Gameplay issues in the AHQ Sims 4 Section.
    oa2aib6yaucg.jpg

edited February 2018
    lisasc360 wrote: »
    some nice helpful member has started threads for new members who may have issues with their game so that the much older threads don't need to be bumped back up... :)

Sims 3 issues
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/893122/thread-for-new-members-to-post-their-sims-3-game-issues#latest
    Sims 4 issues
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/878318/thread-for-new-members-to-post-game-issues#latest

Thank you @lisasc360, those are very helpful links :D I'm kicking myself for not thinking to share them in here sooner ^^. I may update the Opening Post to include them too.
    oa2aib6yaucg.jpg

You're welcome @EA_Lanna... :) It's always my pleasure to help out when I can... :smiley:
  • Amistri2016Amistri2016 Posts: 65 Member
    EA_Lanna wrote: »
    As far as necroposting is concerned, if I run into an issue with the game & I look up a solution to see if other simmers are dealing with the same issue & a post pops up from say 3 years ago why should I be held responsible for adding to that old post
    @Amistri2016, you are responsible and held accountable for everything you post to the forum and adhering to the forum rules - necroposting being one of those rules. I've covered the necroposting rule (HERE), its purpose (same comment) and how to not break it (HERE) in my earlier messages. I would encourage you to review those among others in this thread for more information.
    when the designers & tech support of the game didn't care enough to fix the issue?
    The developers care very much! They have to listen to the community as a whole to help determine what needs to be addressed as, well, not everyone sees eye to eye or wants the same things implemented into the game. Patches are released to help address bugs, glitches and issues as often as they can precisely because they care so much about the community, products and their customer base. Our developers aren't always able to acknowledge that feedback or address every issue posted but this shouldn't be used as confirmation that they don't care nor as a justifiable excuse for breaking forum rules. It certainly doesn't mean it hasn't been heard.
    EA/Maxis needs to stop setting up these ridiculous forum rules that prevent their customer base from speaking out.
    The rules and guidelines are in place to ensure The Sims community members have a fun, safe space to engage with each other and provide feedback. They do not prevent the customer base nor our community members from searching solutions, expressing concerns or providing feedback even if that feedback is negative. Negative feedback is often what allows us to change or grow, however that feedback needs to be constructive and respectful of the forum rules. Failing to do so i.e. toxic, unconstructive, baiting, etc is the only scenario where content would be moderated. SimGuruDrake said it best when she said:
    "We want our players to feel at home on the Sims forums. Anyone should feel comfortable asking for help, sharing their tips and tricks, and having fun discussing the games. To do so we have a few rules that we’d like you to keep in mind so we can keep forum the great place that it is."
    Simply have a forum moderator remove posts that are gathering dusts before they get "necro-posted" in the first place.
    I'd like to avoid repeating myself too much. I can link to my comment from earlier in this thread that addresses this query: HERE

I appreciate your feedback, however, you completely missed my complaint about being reprimanded for necroposting in the first place. It didn't happen to me but I seen someone close out a post & lecture the person for necroposting. It just so happens that right after that situation I had been tired of trying to have my vamp "hook" up with another vamp at night when all vamps should be awake but after several thousand attempts since the introduction of the vamp pack you get told they are either sleeping or unavailable. So when I look to see if others have experienced the same issue & a fix, I find a post as old as the expac.

So when you tell me that the developers care & that criticism is welcome so that as a company you may learn to improve & grow I don't see it. My perception is that we are being told to stop talking about older issues because it brings to light the things that EA/Maxis have yet to fix over a long period of time.

As a consumer, I have a right to complain. I am entitled to voice my opinion because I paid for the product in question.

I also understand that rules are there to aid people while having a good time but I fail to understand how posting on an older post can somehow stop people from having fun. What I see is an opportunity to maybe fix something that may have been missed the first go around. If a post is to old, rather than delete them, lock them so they can no longer be commented on.

Again, thanks for listening.
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited February 2018
    @Amistri2016 if your having issues with your vampires, we have a bugs section to get help or report a bug. If you don't see a recent thread with your issue, you have the option to start a new thread. Edit: No idea why the link I posted is not working but others in this thread have posted links for you to get help above
    @Amistri2016,
    I also understand that rules are there to aid people while having a good time but I fail to understand how posting on an older post can somehow stop people from having fun. What I see is an opportunity to maybe fix something that may have been missed the first go around. If a post is to old, rather than delete them, lock them so they can no longer be commented on.
    If you're suggesting a mass lock down on the older threads that haven't been commented on in years, then it was done by SimGuruDrake back in 2016 when a new member was going around reviving older threads just to get their post count up. But when they commented in them, they weren't posting anything constructive as they were just posting random letters and numbers, so Drake locked all older threads from 2009-January 2015 providing that the last comments were made in that timeline. But when they got locked down, then the threads over in the Creative Corner also got locked as well. And when someone had wanted to update their thread that they were using to share their builds in, they couldn't and had to ask for it to be unlocked so that they wouldn't have to create a new thread to have their builds and creations in. So then all of the older threads that got locked was then reopened again. So I think that the way that the management team is doing it now is better than having them all locked from the start so that nercoing posting doesn't happen as the them team can then determine if the thread warrants a locking or not... :)
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited February 2018
    lisasc360 wrote: »
    @Amistri2016,
    If you're suggesting a mass lock down on the older threads that haven't been commented on in years, then it was done by SimGuruDrake back in 2016 when a new member was going around reviving older threads just to get their post count up. But when they commented in them, they weren't posting anything constructive as they were just posting random letters and numbers, so Drake locked all older threads from 2009-January 2015 providing that the last comments were made in that timeline. But when they got locked down, then the threads over in the Creative Corner also got locked as well. And when someone had wanted to update their thread that they were using to share their builds in, they couldn't and had to ask for it to be unlocked so that they wouldn't have to create a new thread to have their builds and creations in. So then all of the older threads that got locked was then reopened again. So I think that the way that the management team is doing it now is better than having them all locked from the start so that nercoing posting doesn't happen as the them team can then determine if the thread warrants a locking or not... :)

I sort of disagree. The other day there was an old thread about baby mats in TS3, a new member bumped it to say they don't actually do anyting (no animations) it was locked because it was an older thread before anyone could point out yes they are animated and the baby can play on that mat etc. But if anyone runs across that thread and wonders about baby mats in TS3 the last post by the new member stats they are decorative only which I had to find out by somone PMing me they are not just decorative..so the incorrect info is the last comment and therefore new people who want to play TS3 and run across that old thread will believe it to be true. The content of why someone bumped an old thread and if it's factual or not should be considered. ETA: Leaving incorrect info as the last comment can be more trouble to members and new players than letting the thread continue to be updated with the proper or new info.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    edited February 2018
    @Cinebar what your talking about with TS3 and the mats. if you see a necro thread has been closed with wrong info and no way to respond, Under the circumstance I would Pm a mod, ask them to open the thread with an explanation why the thread should be opened, ask to add correct info and re-close the thread. This one instance your talking about does not usually happen. Most posts I see that get necrod are just old news

Edit to add: This is EA Lanna's thread. You could also ask her directly about opening that sims 3 Mat thread to add correct info and then close the thread again
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited February 2018
    @Cinebar what your talking about with TS3 and the mats. if you see a necro thread has been closed with wrong info and no way to respond, Under the circumstance I would Pm a mod, ask them to open the thread with an explanation why the thread should be opened, ask to add correct info and re-close the thread. This one instance your talking about does not usually happen. Most posts I see that get necrod are just old news

Edit to add: This is EA Lanna's thread. You could also ask her directly about opening that sims 3 Mat thread to add correct info and then close the thread again
    This sounds very theoretical, who’d bother? I saw that topic, thought “that’s not correct, those mats are animated alright”, but I’m really not going to bother a moderator with that information. “Can you please reopen that closed thread so I can add my precious information to it? After I have you can close it again.” That’s not how it works ;)
    5JZ57S6.png
    edited February 2018
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

This sounds very theoretical, who’d bother? I saw that topic, thought “that’s not correct, those mats are animated alright”, but I’m really not going to bother a moderator with that information. “Can you please reopen that closed thread so I can add my precious information to it? After I have you can close it again.” That’s not how it works ;)

I'd like to weigh in here. As it was mentioned above, one of the reasons we don't remove old or necro'd threads is because the information may be helpful to other users down the line. If the scenario occurs where someone necro's a thread and posts misinformation like in @cinebar's example that's not ideal. It's a good point Cinebar's made, that users who come across the thread later on for whatever reason may see that misinformation and believe it to be accurate, it can be misleading.

I'd always encourage sharing helpful information if you have it :) If we happen to have closed the thread for necroing before you had the opportunity to provide correct helpful information/solutions (not already outlined in the thread), I would honestly be happy and would prefer for you to reach out to me. @JoAnne65 You won't be bothering me at all ^^ I'm all for helping each other and I will unlock the thread for you to impart such information.

Please do note, should such a scenario take place, the thread will be closed after you share the information for two reasons.
    1. If there is a successful workaround provided for an issue or help seeking thread, it will be closed. There shouldn't be anything further to discuss considering the purpose of such threads was to receive guidance on navigating an issue and it would have received it via the workaround('s).
    2. In addition to this, these threads were necro'd which resulted in an old discussion being revived and bumped. If I unlock these threads, they will be closed after the information has been shared to prevent old, outdated, irrelevant discussions cluttering out new relevant discussions for the community.
    (If there is an issue you are currently experiencing and there is no existing active thread ongoing, do not revive old outdated threads for the multiple reasons we've discussed in this thread to date! Please create a new topic)
    oa2aib6yaucg.jpg

JoAnne65 wrote: »

But that is how it works. If a thread a problem, only EA staff can fix it. If no one is going to take the time tell EA staff this locking of old threads might be a problem when people go to search threads and get wrong info, than it will just stay the way it is and no sense bring up the issue. It seems to be important to @Cinebar and only EA staff can fix the issue
    edited February 2018

We already discussed what I stated, and it remains closed. I was told to post here, thank you. And without going into detail of those PMs I was told the thread was too old and no longer relevant. The rules were quoted and I must abide by the rules, I was told to post here..but (this thread) was closed, and now it's open again in this thread, so that is why I posted by disagreement about some old threads are still important.

I would suggest just marking old threads as read only. Then no one jump on someone for repeating a question that was asked ten years ago. Since all old threads would be read only like they are over on the old TS3 site. :)
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    edited February 2018
    Cinebar wrote: »
    We already discussed what I stated, and it remains closed.
    @cinebar, It remains closed as you have not pm'd me with any information. I will not communicate information on your behalf but I have outlined above if you wish to share it, PM me and I will reopen it to allow you to do that.
    I was told to post here, thank you. And without going into detail of those PMs I was told the thread was too old and no longer relevant.
    Apologies for any confusion here. In this thread I believe you are referring to the Baby Mat thread. I don't recall receiving any pm's for that. I've checked and can see an old one in regards to the Yard Sale thread and without going into detail, you questioned the necroposting rule. I replied and advised sharing the questions you have in this thread so it could be addressed publically as others may also have been wondering the same thing (which they were. JoAnne had a similar query which she asked HERE and has been answered).

I will repeat the above and encourage you to send a pm if you have helpful info you'd like to add to closed necro'd threads.
    II would suggest just marking old threads as read only. Then no one jump on someone for repeating a question that was asked ten years ago. Since all old threads would be read only like they are over on the old TS3 site
    This is the same as locking a thread and we cannot do that. I've mentioned it before but there are exceptions to the necroposting rule that would get caught in the auto locking/read only rule if it were to be implemented such as Stories and legacies threads, technical issues threads and so on. It's feedback that comes through a lot but it's not something we can implement for the reasons I've stated.
    oa2aib6yaucg.jpg

edited February 2018
    EA_Lanna wrote: »
    We already discussed what I stated, and it remains closed.
    @cinebar, It remains closed as you have not pm'd me with any information. I will not communicate information on your behalf but I have outlined above if you wish to share it, PM me and I will reopen it to allow you to do that.
    I was told to post here, thank you. And without going into detail of those PMs I was told the thread was too old and no longer relevant.
    Apologies for any confusion here. In this thread I believe you are referring to the Baby Mat thread. I don't recall receiving any pm's for that. I've checked and can see an old one in regards to the Yard Sale thread and without going into detail, you questioned the necroposting rule. I replied and advised sharing the questions you have in this thread so it could be addressed publically as others may also have been wondering the same thing (which they were. JoAnne had a similar query which she asked HERE and has been answered).

I will repeat the above and encourage you to send a pm if you have helpful info you'd like to add to closed necro'd threads.
    II would suggest just marking old threads as read only. Then no one jump on someone for repeating a question that was asked ten years ago. Since all old threads would be read only like they are over on the old TS3 site
    This is the same as locking a thread and we cannot do that. I've mentioned it before but there are exceptions to the necroposting rule that would get caught in the auto locking/read only rule if it were to be implemented such as Stories and legacies threads, technical issues threads and so on. It's feedback that comes through a lot but it's not something we can implement for the reasons I've stated.

I do believe I did PM you about that particular thread. It has the wrong info, which I think I have already stated here and in a PM. ETA: If I didn't PM you about that particular thread, I apologize my head is fuzzy from all this flu stuff and head cold. No worries, I'm just glad I found out the mats are animated. :)
    I do believe I did PM you about that particular thread. It has the wrong info, which I think I have already stated here and in a PM. ETA: If I didn't PM you about that particular thread, I apologize my head is fuzzy from all this flu stuff and head cold. No worries, I'm just glad I found out the mats are animated. :)

Oh it's no problem at all. If you do feel like you've already communicated this with me via pm's I would suggest bumping that exact pm again rather than discussing it in this thread. There's no record of that pm on Baby mat thread my inbox so if you can bump it, it should show up for me and we can continue this conversation there Cinebar :). I'd like to keep the conversation in here specific to necroposting queries and would prefer not to derail this thread any further on those pm's.
    oa2aib6yaucg.jpg

• keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    edited February 2018
    Can you guys like close old threads? I don't mind if threads are necro'd. Sometimes bugs or the discussions are still valid two years later. It really bothers me when we are having a current conversation on a necro'd thread and I go to respond only for it to be closed because it is necro'd.

I think it would be better if all old discussions were just closed and if someone wants to still discuss, they can create a new thread.

{EA_Lanna: Edited as it is a duplicate post of the below comment}
    Post edited by EA_Lanna on
    edited February 2018
    I think that they would prefer to keep all questions about necroed threads to this thread here... :)
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/934022/what-is-considered-a-necropost#latest

I do believe that they would rather close old threads as they come up because closing all old threads would also close off all of the old threads in the Creative Corner sections as those threads are off limits to being closed since some of the OP's of the threads would rather keep all of their creations/stories to 1 thread and not make several threads for their creations/stories... :)
    Post edited by lisasc360 on
    @EA_Lanna, could I suggest that this thread gets stickied up top so that others who may have a question about nercoing and that way they won't have to start any new threads?

Thank you... :)
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    Can you guys like close old threads? I don't mind if threads are necro'd. Sometimes bugs or the discussions are still valid two years later. It really bothers me when we are having a current conversation on a necro'd thread and I go to respond only for it to be closed because it is necro'd.

I think it would be better if all old discussions were just closed and if someone wants to still discuss, they can create a new thread. Maybe some of the forums sections can be skipped like the creative corner as it was brought to my attention there are a lot of old threads there.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top