Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Would anyone else buy a new game based on the Sims Medieval?

Comments

• FruFralerFruFraler Posts: 28 Member
    Yes, totally!
    094iEYuhMlk.jpg
  • PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    If it were truly sandbox.
    If there was a build option.
    If it wasn't too linear with grinding quest after quest.

Yes I'd be on board.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • PWOKristyPWOKristy Posts: 12 New Member
    I'd like a new Sims Medieval! I love being a Wizard. I wish there were similar games to it.
  • OmairaOmaira Posts: 666 Member
    Yes, definitely. I would love a Sims game that lets you start from the beginning of time, prehistory level and build up your own empty world as you evolve... I like to dream and I dream a lot about what could be done with the Sims.
  • TamBell93TamBell93 Posts: 17 Member
    Totally!!! I disliked that they didn't age nor die.
  • Simsister2004Simsister2004 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Rather than a new game, I would so much like more expansions. The Sims Medieval is one of the best games I have ever played.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    What would be really great would be a blend of Sims with another game EA ate some years ago, Neverwinter Nights (the original, not NWN2 which was done by Obsidian and totally stank/did not work). It would be especially good if we again had the ability to build our own worlds and quests. Was a great game in its day, but I believe XP is the most modern OS the game will run on and high speed machines make some features unworkable. Resource base is pretty much gone now, too. Would take starting from scratch to make a new game.

Alternatively, Simsister's idea of expansions would be a good way to build on the existing base, especially if we got some flexibility.
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,406 Member
    I'm currently really enjoying TSM again so I would definitely be interested.
    This game would have really deserved more EP's.
  • psi_overtakepsi_overtake Posts: 3 New Member
    Been playing TSM for years and still play it. For me, base Sims is too open for me, and having quests and objectives really appeals to my gameplay style. Been on the hunt recently for games similar to TSM, since I've gotten platinum on more than half the kingdoms so far, and it does drag a bit running into the same quests over and over.
    @psi_overtake Yes, but repeating quests is nescessary for completing ambitions. You need to learn how to twist the quests with the different heroes to get the outcome you wish for succeeding.
  • psi_overtakepsi_overtake Posts: 3 New Member
    @Simsister2004 Yup, I've been trying to do quests differently by picking different choices, or by using different heroes. I don't have the best memory, so I don't even notice it half the time, but I do try to keep track of which quests I need to drag on (for platinum) and which take a while that I can do faster (like Animuslaver).

I'm gonna give Castaways a try over the weekend, but not before finishing off this kingdom! Currently on the one where you need to reach high renown but save RP.
  • BonnieBonnie Posts: 159 Member
    Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes. I would throw all my money at this game in less than the time it takes for me to load up Sims 4.
    f63c55b4ba116173bd3db5dc0bc5ae7893dcb9d0.gif
  • ivinianivinian Posts: 1,957 Member
    What's hilarious is that TS4 is a repetitive, goal-oriented game just like TSM is... but I miss it like burning and I'm sad it only got one expansion. I dragged out the gameplay in the quests as long as I could to still get the top level for it, just to have fun with the interpersonal stuff and skills advancement. God, I wish that EA could figure out a way to make those games sell, because this is definitely a shut-up-and-take-my-money situation for me.
  • princess_kaguyaprincess_kaguya Posts: 508 Member
    the elder scrolls 6: sims
  • Nita90Nita90 Posts: 17 Member
    Surely I would! But I would already be content if the current sims medieval were updated to have a proper family and build mode, with more available territories, buildings, aging, age cycles (toddlers, teenagers). Probably the separation of family mode and quest mode would be useful too.
  • ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    Rather than a new game, I would so much like more expansions. The Sims Medieval is one of the best games I have ever played.
    I only partly agree because I have actually played bigger, better and more challenging rpg games. So even though I partly agree then for me TSM still had the following problems:
    1. It was meant to be a Sims game and therefore still targeted mainly at young teen girls who were assumed to only be interested in easy games.
    2. It was meant to be a sidegame to TS3 and for simmers who maybe thought that the main game was too big. Therefore EA wanted the game to stay quite small like EA always does with sidegames such that the simmers are more likely to soon switch back to the main game.

But I still agree that TSM had so many options to become expanded that it was a pity that EA wouldn’t allow it to become a much bigger game because then I for sure would have played it for a much longer time! It was a very good game that only was too small and a little too easy.
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Please cite your source for claiming that The Sims is meant principally for young teenage girls. How can you reconcile this stance with the freakishly vast popularity of the franchise? Are there that many teenage girls who play, or is it more likely that the Sims is successful because it has an appeal that transcends age group or gender?

It actually started as an expansion pack, but as development progressed, the team realized that it was a chance to try a different approach to The Sims format, and it became its own game. Those differences actually alienated mainstream Sims players to the extent that the game never really caught on, as it was also not picked up by gamers dissatisfied with the usual Sims format, who had no way of knowing the extent or nature of the difference.

So kind of caught in a catch 22 - either pitch the game on its own, without trying to tie it to the freakishly successful The Sims franchise, and build an audience from nothing, or tie it to the franchise, and hope it's not too different. Personally, I like it for what it is. Would I like to have seen more? Sure. But it's like "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner" - Coleridge got interrupted, and never could pick up the thread again, and the poem is complete as it is, and to be enjoyed as such.
  • 1need4kaffee1need4kaffee Posts: 486 Member
    I don't have the quote handy, but EA has said the main demographic for The Sims Franchise is teenage girls and that is their target audience. Yes, others play it, but it is designed and aimed at teen girls. This isn't random conjecture. Erpe is repeating what EA developers have said.

Anyway, TSM has a place in my heart and I really wish it had been fleshed out better. I would enjoy a remake, but that is highly unlikely to happen.
  • WillowG145WillowG145 Posts: 351 Member
    I would love a open world sandbox the sims medieval with all the life stages and proper build mode! Or a the sims 3 style of the sims 2 castaway! I still play it sometime, and play the sims 3 that way because I love the idea of a survive-and-build-a-community-in-a-few-generation game style!
    edited February 2018
    I don't have the quote handy, but EA has said the main demographic for The Sims Franchise is teenage girls and that is their target audience. Yes, others play it, but it is designed and aimed at teen girls. This isn't random conjecture. Erpe is repeating what EA developers have said.

Anyway, TSM has a place in my heart and I really wish it had been fleshed out better. I would enjoy a remake, but that is highly unlikely to happen.
    I completely agree :)

But it is more than that:
    1. I loved TSM. But I didn’t like that it was so much smaller and easier than other similar games from other companies because I loved the bigger size and the higher difficulty degree of those games too.
    2. It was although obvious to me that the reason why TSM was made smaller and easier was that it was meant as a substitute for an EP and also that it had the same purpose as the 3 games in the Sims Stories line of sidegames to Sims 2: to target customers who likely thought that the main game was too big and maybe also needed a smaller game that could run better on their not very expensive laptop.

So while I really had wanted TSM to become a bigger and even better game I also understood that it would never happen and why.

I understand why some simmers want to deny the fact that the newer Sims games all mainly have been targeted at young teen girls because they find this fact insulting. But the reason sure isn’t that EA doesn’t want older simmers (and males too!) to play the game. EA just can’t really see a way to both make the Sims games into easy games for young girls (and as dressup games and about decorating too) and at the same time give it more challenging gameplay as older and more experienced simmers would have loved. TS4 shows this even much more than TSM does because EA would never have made such a simplified basegame if TS4 had been targeted much at older simmers too. (But EA sure hoped that the older and more experienced simmers would buy the game too anyway!)

So I sure agree that we would have loved a SIms game that would have been mainly us experienced simmers instead! I just can’t agree with simmers who for me to see just want to close their eyes and deny the fact that we actually aren’t the target group for the Sims game. (At least not anymore which also clearly must be the reason why the developers don’t discuss the game with us in the forum anymore like they did in the old Sims 2 forum.) I don’t like this fact at all - I have just learned to accept it and live with it because I know how disappointed (and likely even angry) I would become every time EA releases small and simplified Sims games and packs if I still hoped for EA to “finally release something better”.
  • thepiratepercythepiratepercy Posts: 10 New Member
    > @Erpe said:
    >
    > I understand why some simmers want to deny the fact that the newer Sims games all mainly have been targeted at young teen girls because they find this fact insulting. But the reason sure isn’t that EA doesn’t want older simmers (and males too!) to play the game. EA just can’t really see a way to both make the Sims games into easy games for young girls (and as dressup games and about decorating too) and at the same time give it more challenging gameplay as older and more experienced simmers would have loved. TS4 shows this even much more than TSM does because EA would never have made such a simplified basegame if TS4 had been targeted much at older simmers too. (But EA sure hoped that the older and more experienced simmers would buy the game too anyway!)
    >

This is a really good point, but I don't think this is necessarily a problem. Plenty of stuff is marketed toward kids and teens or to men or boys, and plenty of older people or girls and women still enjoy it. I think nearly all of the anime I've ever seen been super popular is like that, yet the people I always saw most obsessed with it were much older and men and women. I understand the frustration of not finding the kind of game that you think would be perfect (ugh especially with something as large as this, where there's no feasible way for you to take everyone's default advice to just "make it yourself"), but I really don't get people who are "insulted" by this type of thing, especially when its adults who ought to know better than to care about inane marketing like that.

At least with TS4, there seems to be plenty of mods and custom stuff to make it more challenging for older/more experienced users, which is something I don't think TSM ever had unfortunately. I'm really glad to see that other people liked it, though. I received it as a gift a couple years ago and assumed it would be boring, but it was a lot of fun actually. I understand why people might have thought it was dull because of how repetitive it could be, but for me the overreaching goals kept it mostly interesting. I wanted to play it again a couple months ago, but couldn't download it through Steam anymore, so it's actually the reason I got into Sims 4, because I saw all the ads for it when I download Origin to play medieval.
  • Nita90Nita90 Posts: 17 Member
    Actually I doubt that the main target audience of the Sims Medieval were teenage girls. I believe one important purpose of the game was to attract new players to the franchise who would find the "regular" sims experience (life simulation, aka the endless food-work-chores-toilet-sleep cycle) too simple and boring. This would explain why the family mode, the build mode, and the sims' needs were simplified to this extent. As it was convenient to add RPG-elements to the Sims, it was a logical choice to target the RPG-player community - and as far as I know and see, RPGs are a little more popular among boys. But of course the exisiting Sims fans (I have a feeling that most of them are young/teenage girls) had to be offered something more than just a Sims3 with a medieval setting and clothing, there were already several stuff packs and custom content for that. But the result is a game that is netiher an RPG, nor a true Sims game, thus neither RPG-players (for whom the game is not good enugh as an RPG), nor Sims players (who miss the real Sims life simulation experience) are satisfied with it.
  • SimsophoniqueSimsophonique Posts: 1,410 Member
    edited February 2018
    Not me but I know a couple of people who plays medieval using sims 2 and sims 3 so please for them why not releasing a such game. Thank you.
    Follow and read Miss V Detective (ts3 story)
    on wordpress: thesimsophonique.wp.com / on dreamwidth: simsophonique.dreamwidth.org
    Follow me on tumblr (sims only)
    simsophonique.tumblr.com (please no triggers I am autistic asperger)
    I simply hate it when I feel brainwashed. Repeating the same phrases over and over makes me shut totally down. The sims was not only targeted at teen girls. It was an attempt to make a game, they would enjoy, when so many games were targeted at boys and men at the time. Which doesn't mean, that Sims can only be enjoyed by young teen girls. On the opposite this game is enjoyed and played by all ages and both genders.
    The Sims Medieval is just targeted at those who like quests and winning a game, when The Sims is for creativity, builders and storytellers.
    I simply hate it when I feel brainwashed. Repeating the same phrases over and over makes me shut totally down. The sims was not only targeted at teen girls. It was an attempt to make a game, they would enjoy, when so many games were targeted at boys and men at the time. Which doesn't mean, that Sims can only be enjoyed by young teen girls. On the opposite this game is enjoyed and played by all ages and both genders.
    The Sims Medieval is just targeted at those who like quests and winning a game, when The Sims is for creativity, builders and storytellers.

Nobody said that any of the Sims game were exclusively targeted at teen girls! Just that teen girls were their main target group!

Surely EA doesn’t at all mind it if boys and and adults play Sims games too because EA is just interested in the games getting as high sales numbers as possible! But the problem is how to design the games? The game designers can’t just design the games for everybody such that sports gamers, action gamers and war gamers become interested in the games too. So the designers have to target the games mainly at a certain type of gamers and in the beginning (Sims 1) it was first at the SimCity gamers who EA thought would be the biggest group of simmers. But soon EA realized that for the first Sims 1 sold many times better than SimCity had done and for the second that this mainly was caused unexpectedly by a huge group of very young girls who just loved this game. So since then EA’s game designers have mainly targeted all Sims games at young girls even though both males and adults always have played the games too.

We don’t know how much bigger the group of young girls is compared to all the other simmers when we consider all simmers. But just the way especially TS4 is made is enough for me to know that EA doesn’t even approximately consider all other simmers as nearly as important for the sales numbers as the group of young girl simmers is. I would like to know more about this. But EA just doesn’t publish its estimations about how big the different age groups are among simmers or how many percent of the simmers who are males. I suspect that those statistics can be found on https://www.statista.com/topics/868/video-games/ though. But the problem is that the more detailed statistics there only are available for paying subscribers and the price for such a subscription is extremely high. I maybe would have considered it anyway though if I was sure that the wanted details were there. But I won’t know until I already have paid. So this alas isn’t an option for me anyway.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top