Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Triplets! How do you do raise them!??

Happily playing my legacy 2nd generation family. Mum was preggers and out popped triplets!

How do others manage them? The 1st gen my sim just for some reason only had one child, she grew up maxing out every skill she tried, A's in school started out on level 4 on her job, it was great. But she's struggling with the triplets, as her hubby, the butler, and the nanny they're re-employing every time it times out. They can't keep up with the little monsters!

Comments

• SeraphicPinkSeraphicPink Posts: 202 Member
    Oh yikes!

I saw this and was thinking as I clicked on the thread "Get a nanny and/or butler" but you have them both!
    Just cry? lol. I've never had experience with three toddlers!
    My Simblr: http://seraphicsimblr.tumblr.com/
    Origin: SeraphicPink

• CementCement Posts: 3,505 Member
    For me, I prioritize potty training if they're not independent tots, then onto their thinking skill to tone down nightmares. Once those are down, everything is pretty much smooth sailing... In my opinion, anyway. If you have enough funds, giving the toddlers a tablet is a godsend.
    What careers are the parents pursuing? Having a good schedule where the parents can switch off taking care of the tots is my preferred method, but trying to align parents' careers with each other so they're both in and out of the house at the same time works too since the kids could go to imaginary daycare.

I don't really use the nanny or butler with my toddlers since mine just make a mess in the kitchen and glitch out in my house, or even worse, ruin my household setup by keeping my kids up.

The last time I had triplets was back when toddlers didn't exist, but my sims have a habit of having consecutive babies anyway so it's like I have multiples without having them... :joy:
  • SablesashaSablesasha Posts: 417 Member
    I've cheated I've switched to another household for a few days, to give myself a mental break hahaha
  • Raven_CatRaven_Cat Posts: 74 Member
    You don't. At that point, they raise themselves and you pray the parents don't starve to death trying to get them potty-trained, provided with food, and clean
  • Jenna2376Jenna2376 Posts: 120 Member
    I had a family where the parents were about to be elders so I decided to get them pregnant with one more for a total of 3 kids. This lady had triplets, I almost cried! I didn't mind 3 kids, but 5!? Luckily the other two kids were grown, so they could help. Get them potty trained asap, that makes it easier when they just go on their own when they got to do their business. The light with the monsters on it is a must! It keeps nightmares away, for toddlers and kids.

I noticed when I got rid of all the high chairs, life got soo much easier. It was so annoying, someone would put them in there to feed and someone else would take them out and try to put them in a different chair! They'd toss the kid in the high chair and walk away, even when the kid wasn't hungry. I always make sure there are left overs in the fridge. While your toddler is the active sim, click the fridge and hit, "Open" then just drag a plate somewhere close to the toddler and have them pick up a serving, after that just drag the leftovers back to the fridge. You don't need an adult to get them food when you do it this way. Is it cheating? Do I care? hahaha. When you have 3 toddlers that always seem to be hungry, this makes it so much easier, just be sure to keep cooking. There's been a few times I ran out of leftovers and didn't notice. That was annoying.
  • 3KNPen3KNPen Posts: 2,825 Member
    edited February 2018
    Get them potty trained to the level they can do it themselves and then take advantage of the fact that they can do a lot of skilling stuff on their own. Don’t bother with the high chairs or having your sims feed them just drag food out of the fridge yourself for them and direct them to take it. Put a bench or chairs in the kitchen so they have less distance to walk before eating. Trust me it will save you a lot of hassle and frustration.
    ~ ~ ~
  • duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    I manage them by crying in a corner to myself... Sorry, I couldn't resist. Typically, every time I do something for one, I automatically do it for the other two. It seems to help in my game because usually within seconds of one crying the other two seem to feel the need to join in. I've been known to have both parents take vacation days when they are born so they can double team them. Seems to help without my sims passing out or dying trying to care for the kids without sleep or food or...showers...or adult conversation :D
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • Francl27Francl27 Posts: 761 Member
    I had 5 toddlers at some point with my current family. It really helps when you have aspiration rewards for the parents... Otherwise, switch to long lifespan so you have more time to work on skills, get them to sleep whenever possible, and definitely prioritize potty training.
  • sillyangel0906sillyangel0906 Posts: 5,405 Member
    A lot of pausing and queuing up commands. I had 4 toddlers at once one time. Triplets and then an alien baby. It was challenging, but also fun. I got them all to level 2 of potty training so they can go by themselves but didn't really focus on their skills after that. I never bother with high chairs whether I have 1 toddler or many. I just set a plate of food out when they're hungry and they can grab a serving on their own. If you have the toddler stuff pack, definitely invest in the play equipment if your family can afford it. Send the adult Sims out on a date. The toddlers will go to daycare and be just fine. And if you absolutely have to, cheat needs to give yourself a break :wink:
    Origin ID - Sillyangel0906

Q7wLwse.png
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,502 Member
    I haven't had triplets, per se, but I like to space the children in such a way that there's "a year or two" between them. That means I age up the next baby to toddler so that the older one isn't more than 2-3 Sims days older. This has given me, in effect, three toddlers in the same household, at various levels of their development. It's crazy-insane, but it is doable. Remember the PAUSE button is your FRIEND. Generally, I have the Mom at home, while the father works. (Yes, I was born into the Era where this was the 'norm.) Sometimes, she earns a few Simoleons on the side, either selling her artwork, her garden harvest or writing books, so she's not merely sitting on her hands. I work on potty training, first. Unlike other iterations, this doesn't take all that long. Then I make sure the toddler(s) focus on the blocks. I also make sure they do the "What's that?" interaction with several objects. They play on the tablet, and with their toys. Feeding them, once I learned from others, is a breeze. Just have one Sims serve a meal and call others to meal. If the toddler doesn't come running, I direct the little tyke to grab a plate, which they can do, miraculously, even from the high kitchen counters. They can also manage to put a plate up on a mantel. Would that I had those kinds of powers. LOL I be short. If you can get their thinking skills up, they won't be so inclined to pitch a fit, so you can turn those little monsters into some nicer little not-quite-angels. Also, if there is room in your household, you can always consider creating a Sim in CAS to add to the family as a live-in Nanny. That way you can control their actions to your benefit. My Sims3 toddlers used the baby swings, a lot! We don't have swings, yet, which I do hope will be amended in the future.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • WolfiumWolfium Posts: 2,672 Member
    I also only once got triplets, I was so surprised! But well, challenge accepted. I gave them fussy, independent and inquisitive trait, and it was fun to play. I didn't give them high chair and hired butler (that family is wealthy) to take care after garden and wash dishes. They got level 3 of all their skills before aging up. I always took them out to park or to visit siblings. That way, I enjoyed playing.
  • rika1431rika1431 Posts: 28 Member
    OH MY GOSH, you don't even know. I was using the MCCC mod and had my 'max multiples' set up to something ridiculous like 6, I think, not realizing that it increased the CHANCE of multiples as well. I'd also gone and done a foolish thing of changing my max household size from 8 to 12.

WELL. My sim had quadruplets, and her brother was abducted and had quadruplets at the same time! EIGHT BABIES. I was clawing my eyes out and crying all the time!
  • Goofhead2Goofhead2 Posts: 69 Member
    I had a sim that had twins and then she had triplets which were absolute chaos. I ended up breaking and using a cheat to keep all their needs up until they could fend for themselves. Otherwise my sims couldn't go to work or do anything
  • AndiratymeAndiratyme Posts: 728 Member
    I don't play with aging on so I just age them up one at a time. It's cheaty but it works for me.
  • sunblondsunblond Posts: 1,035 Member
    I had a blended family and therefore 3 toddlers, when the toddlers were first introduced, I spent a lot of time screaming at the PC. But, I really got attached to those sims too.
    Origin ID is: sobenewbie
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    The only triplets in my game are destined to be werewolves. I played through the family once as Humans. it was pretty easy... but that was before toddlers.

the family is wealthy, of their own right... except no butlers, no maids. They Invest and support in the buildings of their city.
    So the parents have more than enough time to spend with their children, and an alpha with his betas.
    and when they're children-teens they have three more children to help raise them.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Stina1701AStina1701A Posts: 1,184 Member
    I'd also recommend that when potty training is over, if you live in a multistory house with stairs, to get them walking skills up so they can toddle off downstairs by themselves. The parents can be a bit stupid when you ask them to 'put toddler down here' and just not take them. I don't have triplets yet, but one of my household has two toddlers, not twins, just close pregnancies and as mentioned above; get rid of the highchair. Its fun to have when it works but with two toddlers, forget it!
  • Raven_CatRaven_Cat Posts: 74 Member
    rika1431 wrote: »
    OH MY GOSH, you don't even know. I was using the MCCC mod and had my 'max multiples' set up to something ridiculous like 6, I think, not realizing that it increased the CHANCE of multiples as well. I'd also gone and done a foolish thing of changing my max household size from 8 to 12.

WELL. My sim had quadruplets, and her brother was abducted and had quadruplets at the same time! EIGHT BABIES. I was clawing my eyes out and crying all the time!

Dear lord. I feel you though, had a single followed quickly by quints and another single which meant six toddlers and a screaming baby all at once with a single mother. Pretty sure mom forgot what sleep was until the quints aged up
  • simlish1simlish1 Posts: 2,738 Member
    Personally, I usually cheat and max out their skills so they don't need to be assisted in doing everything.
    But if I don't cheat, the parent(s) take some time off work and life evolves around them.
    Origin ID - eliselove1
    Four Seasons Properties

• Francl27Francl27 Posts: 761 Member
    Stina1701A wrote: »
    I'd also recommend that when potty training is over, if you live in a multistory house with stairs, to get them walking skills up so they can toddle off downstairs by themselves. The parents can be a bit stupid when you ask them to 'put toddler down here' and just not take them. I don't have triplets yet, but one of my household has two toddlers, not twins, just close pregnancies and as mentioned above; get rid of the highchair. Its fun to have when it works but with two toddlers, forget it!

A toddler room on the first floor is a must have for me, or it's a nightmare. With a bathroom downstairs too, and the potty in their room, so they can basically spend most of their time in there. If they're hungry, I open the fridge and drop a plate of food in the room with them (but yeah sometimes they'll walk to the other side of the room to eat, not much I can do about that).

I also put the toddler outside toys close to the door, so they don't spend a lot of precious time walking around everywhere.

Honestly though, I've yet to figure out a schedule that works for toddlers. They can never get a full sleep because otherwise they'd be starving, and you have to take them potty way before it gets low, or they'll pee their pants and there's nothing you can do about it...
  • 3KNPen3KNPen Posts: 2,825 Member
    A lot of pausing and queuing up commands. I had 4 toddlers at once one time. Triplets and then an alien baby. It was challenging, but also fun. I got them all to level 2 of potty training so they can go by themselves but didn't really focus on their skills after that. I never bother with high chairs whether I have 1 toddler or many. I just set a plate of food out when they're hungry and they can grab a serving on their own. If you have the toddler stuff pack, definitely invest in the play equipment if your family can afford it. Send the adult Sims out on a date. The toddlers will go to daycare and be just fine. And if you absolutely have to, cheat needs to give yourself a break :wink:

I absolutely don't trust the Daycare option for the toddlers. Every time I send them (with full green bars) they come home a complete disaster with red bars everywhere. I either try to rotate who takes days off from work or in my most recent save I had my father sim quit work to take care of his toddler twins while mom works on her career. I had originally planned to have him go back to work once they hit childhood but he's a non-committal sim and has been much happier not working and since he can still make money through programming I haven't forced him to go back to work after their child birthdays. Everyone is much happier all around this way so it was a happy accident. Once the family has enough money in future generations I'll probably have them get a nanny rather then trust them to the daycare as toddlers lol.
    ~ ~ ~
  • I just did the seven toddler challenge on normal lifespan, at first it was a nightmare but after I got used to micromanaging them and constantly checking their needs it got easier. Also if your toddler has a nightmare you can make them nap, even if they're too sad to sleep so the won't wake a parent.
  • LyrieLyrie Posts: 881 Member
    edited February 2018
    I got my first triplets yesterday!
    All girls~
    They are tough!
    Their traits make it hard like my fussy tot ooooh man!
    But as others said focus on getting their potty training to level 2 their thinking skill up to a think like 3 and have a nursery on the first floor, toys and tablets if you can afford them, and always have a group meal already fixed up to drag out when they are hungry it makes it a bit easier.
    Best of luck with your little ones~
  • Haids5987Haids5987 Posts: 8,465 Member
    Ah, triplets! The blessing and curse of the Sims world! :D I saw another Simmer say (s)he turns aging off to work on their skills, which is what I do as well. If you don't want to do this, here are my tips:

First things first: just like with real toddlers, they need a schedule. Try to have them all eat, sleep, and play at once, so that their needs start decaying at around the same time. It will never be a perfect system, but consistency is key! Their bladders tend to go down when they're eating, so after eating is a good time to work on potty training.

If you have multiple adults in the house, try assigning each kid to an adult. (Mom gets baby 1, Dad gets baby 2, big sister gets baby 3.) That makes things easier to manage and gives the illusion of less chaos.

GOOD LUCK!
    signature2.png?ssl=1&w=450
    **Also known as EmeraldCityTaurus***
  • SablesashaSablesasha Posts: 417 Member
    Thanks for all the advice people, some I was already doing. And put in place others, hehe one was playroom on ground floor, I was nasty and set it up in the butlers room... certainly made them sleep at night instead of during the day!