Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

CM's Architecture Thread - Thornton Cottage (pg 8) & a homeless home (pg 9)

Comments

• soocoolsimsoocoolsim Posts: 6,261 Member
    Would be such fun to do a whole world. Something I too would enjoy doing but I'm a slower builder and life is too busy. As it is I've been procrastinating on finishing up my cabin build and Ari's deadline is just around the corner. Guess I'd better get to it lol. I think it would be great if you go ahead with the world. Keep us posted :smiley:
  • KgaffKgaff Posts: 1,614 Member
    @creativemetaphor You know I do love the way you come up with new ideas! You live up to your name very well.

I like both of the caves, the first for it's sheer size! Wow Spelunk Rock could house an entire clan easily. I love the outfits by the way <3

I really like the setting for Cave of the Clans with the waterfall and even though small, you managed to get everything in and looking stoneage.
  • creativemetaphorcreativemetaphor Posts: 1,543 Member
    @MiaSkywalker OMG Ogres! What a great idea!!!
    @soocoolsim :lol: Oh yes! You'd better get that cabin finished quick! :)

I admit, I go pretty strong on an idea for a bit but eventually burn out on it. I'll probably make several more stone age-ish homes, but may not get an entire world. Heck, I'm still trying to help @MiaSkywalker do a complete makeover of DV!
    @Kgaff <3 Yeah, Spelunk Rock could definitely be modified to hold several families/a whole clan instead of just a regular family sprawled out. I may do something like that before I'm done.

The waterfall in the small one is just a carefully placed fountain so no fog emitter needed :) I do really love that little one, it was my first try at it and I think going to be my favorite. It's just so simple and yet as you said gets everything you need in there. And even for all 5 sims the lot cost is only a hair above a starter for 1 so very inexpensive!

The outfits were both great fun and somewhat irritating! There were some items I was really miffed I couldn't access under certain outfits, and there are only so many outfits that look the part, so it narrowed down the options a bit, but of course that just forces a person to be more creative :mrgreen:
  • MiaSkywalkerMiaSkywalker Posts: 3,436 Member
    @MiaSkywalker OMG Ogres! What a great idea!!!

I made an ogre couple for the medieval game I'm playing right now, but I couldn't remember how to unlock the caveman outfits, so they're just wearing black leather. I may go back and edit them with those, now that you've reminded me of them. I think you have to do the code right before you enter CAS, right?

I was quite pleased with my two ogres, despite the outfits. I used some of the sliders to extremes to give them huge jaws, slight underbites, and a vicious look to them. Yet they don't look unrealistic despite that. And of course, green skin. They had to have green skin. :)

Unfortunately, during gameplay Nraas paired their kids up with Daenerys and Jon's kids, which totally cracked me up. I do NOT want to see what that offspring is going to look like! :p.
    So, after quite the delay, finally got the second set of stone agers and cave up on the exchange!
    Spelunk Rock exchange link
    The Simstones exchange link

And on a side-note, I've uploaded 4 micro-houses in @ciane 's Tiny House Challenge thread, which include a medieval-esque cottage, a pueblo, a Victorian, and an island stilt-house.
  • soocoolsimsoocoolsim Posts: 6,261 Member

Rec'd Spelunk Rock and The Simstones. Love your creativity. Well done :smiley:
    @soocoolsim Oh thank you! It is certainly fun to go completely sideways in a build and still be functional! :) Thanks for the rec and for the comment!
    edited May 2018
    So it occurs to me not everyone follows the BuildnShare thread, so I should probably start cross-posting my builds again!

The April challenge was to create a home for Julia, who was a loner stuck in a tiny city apartment and who needed a place of her own. She loved shabby chic decor and enjoyed yoga and healthy eating. The budget was 30k, 1 or 2 bedrooms, and needed to include a computer, vegetable garden, chess table, easel, a musical instrument, a piece of fitness equipment and a book case.

exterior-1.jpg
    Photo album for Home Away From Everything

The story for this challenge had the brother originally intending on having the build client come live with his family but they fell on hard times and could no longer afford to put on the addition to their home as originally planned. That made me think it would be fun to make the brother's house as well, and I have a good start on it. The outside is done, the interior is still being furnished, but here is the sneak peak:

screenshot-16.jpg
    screenshot-15.jpg

Both are built on custom placed lots in Riverview.
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,567 Member
    The exterior design of Home Away From Everything looks very nice! :) The dormer is a nice touch. The flowers look very pretty in the front area of the build, and the stone and wooden fencing gives a very nice look to the build. Sims will enjoy growing and harvesting the plants that are in the garden area .Very nice shabby chic furnishing of the interior of the home! The type of furnishing used and the patterning on them suits the theme very well! It looks such a pretty and homely home! Very nice living room! The old fireplace looks great! Sims will enjoy sitting relaxing on the sofa or armchair there near the fire, listening to music from the phonograph and reading a book. The home picture is a nice homely touch on the wall,and the shelving nooks either sides of the fireplace look great! Very nice kitchen and eat in dining area! It looks very pretty! The wall and floor patterning in all of the rooms give a very nice look to the home areas . The patterning/texture of the furnishings looks so very nice! Very nice pink and grey colour scheme of the home. Sims wll enjoy having a cup of tea from the teaset. Very nice furnishing of the two bedrooms. It is great that there is a windows cot area in the master bedroom. The sunflowers in the bedside table in the guest bedroom is a nice sunny touch. Very nice attic! Sims will have fun playing chess there or enjoy doing some dancing using the wall bar. Nice art nook corner for sims to enjoy painting on the easel . It is nice that there is an armchair reading area for sim to rest and read a book.
    It is such a very homely and warming cottage home! :)
    The exterior design of Old Stone Mill House is very nice! :) The dormers look great! The large water wheel looks great used there in the water! The flowers and plants in the outdoors areas look very nice.
    @rosemow Thank you for your beautiful comments :) Always so lovely!
    A Fairy Tale Ending

For BuildnShare 202, this month's challenge was to create a fairy-tale inspired cottage for under 20k. I originally placed a custom lot in Sunset Valley on the hillside but as it is notoriously difficult to place a sloped custom lot and get the grade to come out properly I revised it for upload to a flat lot (and added a few items and plants) so the uploaded version is a bit more than 20k but it does sit on a flat lot so should be transferable to any game lot without too much trouble.

Here are the original pictures
    And here is the exchange link

Nothing has been upgraded but it has been play tested, I didn't run into any routing errors with the footbridge or stairs so I think it should be good!

exterior-1.jpg
    Beautiful builds as always! I can't wait to see you finish the brother's house - the outside is gorgeous! I saw the pictures of the other on the BnS thread, and really enjoyed them. While shabby chic is not really my thing, the outside looks so good I'll probably use it, and just replace some of the furniture. (Yeah, I know the shabby chic was for the challenge; your furnishing style is normally exactly what I like.)

That fairy tale cottage is the best, though! Unbelievable that you made it for such a low price when it's so pretty inside and out!
    edited May 2018
    Fairy Cottage does look like a very fairytaleish home! :) Very nice design of the exterior of the cottage! The roofing design and dome on top of the roof looks great!The outdoors areas are very nice! The footbridge, dragon bonsai, old wheel cart and the sign are very special touches! The flowers, plants and trees look very nice and the well water feature looks great! The stone ground texture adds a great look and feel to the build. The fairy will enjoy sitting at the stone picnic table in the outdoors air. The stone fencing looks very nice. Very nice layout and fairy themed furnishing of the interior of the home. The living room is very nice for sims to enjoy sitting relaxing on the sofa, lounger or armchairf near the fire, reading a book from the bookcase. The bay window and the tree light beside the fireplace look nice in the room. Very nice green colour scheme of the furnishings in the bedroom. The wooden texture of the bedside tables and the sunny yellow flowers on it looks very nice. Sims will have nice views through their curtained bedroom window. Very nice furnishing and design of the kitchen and dining area. The type of grill used suits the cottage theme well! The stone /rock walls and flooring gives a great look to the kitchen and the bathroom. It is nice that there is a wooden bath tub in the bathroom. The rubber duckie is cute!
    It is a very nice fairy cottage home! :)
    @MiaSkywalker be warned on the fairy tale house, it's built using CFE foundation and freizes for the thick walls to keep the costs down. I know you don't care for CFE so just wanted you to know. That and the free wall coverings really are what kept the price so low! I'm glad you like it! <3

And of course feel free to refurnish and refinish the cottage however you see fit :)

I promise I will finish the brother's house but now I've gotten the fairy tale cottage bug and am making another one of those :lol:
    @rosemow Thank you! I always look forward to your comments <3
    CM, I don't mind CFE on lots I use, it's just that I know I can't modify the lots later. I am philosophical about it, however; if I can't expand on a lot I like, I just have my Sim(s) buy a second home, and they can go back and forth between them. :)

I figured you had used CFE; that look where the front of the house is half covered by ground wouldn't have existed otherwise. Yet it is so perfect, I would never want to change it. :)

Oh, and I'm lovin' the buydebug walls you used. I used them on a recent build as well, and they're just so cute!

Making another fairy tale cottage is great - I always love those! Looking forward as usual to see what you build. :)
    @MiaSkywalker I actually learned how to do a walk-out basement before I ever learned how to do CFE actually! But it does make it easier to do. I suppose since I didn't worry about breaking the budget on the upload I could have rebuilt the upper floor with actual walls... ah well.

:)
    Wanted to share some previews of the next fairy tale cottage I'm working on. I call this: fun with MOO.
    props to @aricarai for the idea of nestling the fridge into an alcove in the wall!

screenshot-2.jpg
    screenshot-3.jpg

The mooing work that you have done for your fairy cottage looks great! :) It looks very nice how you have creatively made the piano using moo! The window sink alcove looks very nice. The fridge nook looks great!
    @rosemow Thank you! I was racking my brain trying to figure out how to get a piano into such a small build. The grand piano is way too big and the keyboard was way too modern. I finally got the inspiration to MOO a small piano such as they have in Jane Austen movies, much smaller than grands and lower than uprights! The cabinets were just perfect :)

family-piano-2fixed-700x464.jpg
    That's a good way of getting the piano! Those are counters, right? I've seen a few things used along with the portable piano that work, in various builds I've seen and/or downloaded. I used a dresser in my most recent build, which was a Victorian. I know you try to figure out cost cutting for some of the BnS challenges, and the dresser might be less expensive than the two counters.

And now for a burning question that is completely off-topic - What version of Pride & Prejudice is that? Or is it Sense & Sensibility? Actually that looks more likely, looking at the ages of the actresses. As a fanatically raving Jane Austen fan (you have no idea HOW many times I've read each and every one of her books), I have to know. :D
    edited May 2018
    @MiaSkywalker Since this build isn't for BuildnShare I'm not worried about cost. Just building it for fun! :) Those are the Edwardian counters! I didn't think of a dresser, but that's a great idea, too!

That is the version of Sense & Sensibility with Alan Rickman as Colonel Brandon <3 I, too, am a huge Jane Austen fan!
    There's an Alan Rickman version of S&S? That I have to see!

My favorite P&P is, of course, the Colin Firth version. Because Colin Firth. :kissing_heart: Actually, it's the version most true to the book that I've seen, but being as it was a mini series rather than a movie, they had more leeway to make it accurate. I saw a movie version once that had Charlotte Lucas, in the first few minutes of the movie, actually SAY the first paragraph of the book: "It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife." I stopped watching that version about five minutes in, because the liberties they took aggravated me too much.

I have most of JA's works on audio book, and I listen to them all the time. While cooking, cleaning, building in Sims.... ;)

Oh, and your build you're working on is darling. But I think I already told you that, didn't I? ;) I loved the outside (this is the brother's house, right?) and it looks like the inside is going to be beautiful as well. But then, I'm not surprised, since you're the one building it.