Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Would You Be Open To Seasons and Pets in a Base Game?

13...Next

Comments

• aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    No
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

The could have school and Uni in a base game - it seems appropiate - and actually have schools we can choose to go to. Maybe give sims a Teacher career - start as an aide and make it all the way to the dean of the college hands on career.

I think this is a good idea...and speaking of careers, I'd really like it if Sims could choose to stay at a certain level in a career without having to advance. Some people just like to do their 9-5 and are happy not to advance, preferring to focus on other things in life.

If weather wasn't base game content, I'd like to see it in one of the first expansions.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,837 Member
    Yes
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    I would not want to contend with weather and pets while learning all the ins and outs of a new Sims series as both are very intense on their own - so I prefer to get add ons like that as an add - on, not as a base game. Beside neither would be as complete in a basegame as we enjoy as an ep. I do hope all human stages are in the base game - and that this time they focus on their uniqueness and differences. Keeping the toddlers in mind - put more individualization into each life stage and make them better sims like the toddlers are. Especially the infant needs lots of work - teens need to be teen like not looking and behaving like YA's. Kids should be playful not like minature YA's. Put a lot more effort into the Sims after all the whole game is called THE SIMS.

The could have school and Uni in a base game - it seems appropiate - and actually have schools we can choose to go to. Maybe give sims a Teacher career - start as an aide and make it all the way to the dean of the college hands on career.

Thanks for the civil response. I hadn't given any thought to just how much of a learning curve would be involved if the two expansions were included in the base game. For me your response is the best yet for not doing it this way and also why I prefer gamepacks to expansion packs because the content is more manageable for me.
    Does that mean you’d rather have seen C&D to be a GP? What would have been the - positive - difference?

As far as Cat's and Dogs in a GP I would have been good with just the basic pets, more pet content like doghouses, a greater variety of pet beds, maybe more features with the training content. And no vet business. 3 months later and I still haven't gotten around to owning and managing a vet.
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    Yes
    Btw, if anyone wants doghouses, there's CC for that. They work the same as pet beds so sometimes they'll clip through the side walls, but otherwise it looks fine
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Yes
    This is a rare case where you'll actually hear me defend EA/Maxis.

I don't think Pets/Seasons releasing as it does is a case of greed, but rather a case of neccesity. I think the people that typically demand Pets and Seasons become basegame content are incredibly naive and have no idea how much additional work those two things create. Animation work is expensive, and pets are an entire set of animations on par with the Sims themselves. Seasons is an entire system of the way the world works and needs proper conditions applied to each object to account for snowfall, for example.

Could some EPs be integrated as base game? Absolutely. Late Night for Sims 2 was once revolutionary just for adding an extensive amount of commercial lots, but now commercial lots and world exploration are staples. I could absolutely picture Ambitions for example being something that they could integrate as base game content and make active careers something we have on release.

Pets and Seasons though...?

If they took your suggestion and upped the price, they're sabotaging themselves because no one will pay that. If they didn't up the price, we are asking a lot and asking them to take a rather large hit to profit.

The current release method is probably the most reasonable. We pay the standard $40 each and get the two biggest, most tech-intensive EPs, and each time they must ensure quality to sell them. (well, theoretically anyways...) They get paid for their work and we get the content while game sales remain steady.

About the only thing they could possibly change is that one could absolutely argue they should perhaps work on them more in advance, both because it probably makes the integration of such features in the future much easier, and because it means a release shortly after launch (within a year) will silence most of the players missing them. Any other requests just seem absolutely unreasonable to me.
    Honestly I just don't think it will happen. Never has happened in the history of the Sims. Also silly when I read you can't play Pets packs if you are allergic to cats or dogs. Like hello they are virtual and does that mean someone is allergic to their computer? That is like being allergic to a Tamagotchi. XD

I don't think either pets or seasons will make it directly into the base game either. Honestly I said yes ignoring the speculation price because with all the work that goes into packs if they ever did release super fledged base game like that which I doubt, technically it would be like selling a bundle like what is offered in Origin right now with pets and base game: https://www.origin.com/usa/en-us/store/the-sims/the-sims-4/deluxe-bundle

Sims 3 offers bundles with the base game too: http://store.steampowered.com/sub/19071/

People said that Pets and Seasons should come as soon as possible and didn't believe me when I said they have never come before the third year of a base game released in all of Sims history and it did with Cats and Dogs, year three. So I know those themes are hugely profitable and take time. Cats and Dogs is actually the most profitable EP to date for the Sims 4 now with no surprise there. It does make me giggle a little because with how long Simmers are speculating the Sims 4 to extend for they probably could develop a Pets and Seasons in Base game with the Sims 5 because it would have a lot longer than previous iterations for base game development time. I mean the Sims had four years in-between base games, the Sims 2 had five years, the Sims 3 had five years, and the Sims 4 with the speculation of eight years given it takes about roughly three years for Seasons and Pets to start rolling out, could be possible for one of the two to be included by then. Personally I rather have a real school system in the base game instead, so there wouldn't need to be a need for university packs anymore.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • ArmaniArmani Posts: 31 Member
    I have been obsessed with weather since I was 5 years old

Not having it in a video game(other than sunshine) irks me.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Yes
    I would not want to contend with weather and pets while learning all the ins and outs of a new Sims series as both are very intense on their own - so I prefer to get add ons like that as an add - on, not as a base game. Beside neither would be as complete in a basegame as we enjoy as an ep. I do hope all human stages are in the base game - and that this time they focus on their uniqueness and differences. Keeping the toddlers in mind - put more individualization into each life stage and make them better sims like the toddlers are. Especially the infant needs lots of work - teens need to be teen like not looking and behaving like YA's. Kids should be playful not like minature YA's. Put a lot more effort into the Sims after all the whole game is called THE SIMS.

Thanks for the civil response. I hadn't given any thought to just how much of a learning curve would be involved if the two expansions were included in the base game. For me your response is the best yet for not doing it this way and also why I prefer gamepacks to expansion packs because the content is more manageable for me.
    Does that mean you’d rather have seen C&D to be a GP? What would have been the - positive - difference?

As far as Cat's and Dogs in a GP I would have been good with just the basic pets, more pet content like doghouses, a greater variety of pet beds, maybe more features with the training content. And no vet business. 3 months later and I still haven't gotten around to owning and managing a vet.
    But a GP offers less than an EP, not more. So I guess when you say you prefer GP’s over EP’s, you’d have to scrap a few things? Like indeed the career for instance. Would that make the pack better though? You may not have got around it but others have.
    5JZ57S6.png
    Yes

But a GP offers less than an EP, not more. So I guess when you say you prefer GP’s over EP’s, you’d have to scrap a few things? Like indeed the career for instance. Would that make the pack better though? You may not have got around it but others have.

Yeah, I could have done without the vet career if it meant more focus on the actual pets. Like in the beginning I wasn't too concerned about not being able to control pets but I'm finding now there are situations where I'd really like to tell them what to do. Guess I'd better go look for that mod. :)
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,393 Member
    Yes
    Would you be willing to pay $120_$150 for a base game that included weather and pets. Let's also assume it's open world with ultimate terrain tools, world building capabilities, and ultimate asset customization, like the color wheel. Let's also assume the developers have had adequate time and resources to develop an awesome base game.

Yes.
  • jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    Maybe
    @JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

That's just not true. If EA cared and gave it time and well....love, the game would be detailed and entertaining as it should. That's just not an excuse for me. Many companies/studios out there strive to have good detailed games.

On another matter, making it a BG thing could probably make it so that later add ons have more things that interact with the weather changes.

It asked my opinion and I answered my opinion. I am not questioning you on your opinion - nor do I care what other games do - my concern is this game. So you can agree to disagree at most. Do not determine for me what is true or untrue. For me it is true I can not imagine dealing with pets and weather with a new Sims game - mainly because for the 18 years this game has been out - that is the way it worked and the way I am used to it. It is my truth and my opinion.
    True or untrue (you are stating that quite factual), basegame ghosts for example blow patch ghosts out of the water. And though TS4 toddlers are the best content wise, they apparently are glitchy and buggy in ways the basegame toddlers are not. So I don’t quite see why basegame wheather and pets wouldn’t be as good (or better) as seasons and pets in a pack.

How so?

he Sims 4 Ghosts seem the like TS3 Ghosts but with extra powers. Toddlers don't have any bugs that I'm aware of?
    Nothing more than the bugs in TS3?
  • jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    edited February 2018
    Maybe
    I wouldn't pay the price, but I do think base games *should* at least have rain.

I wouldn't mind if Cats and Dogs raised the cost by $10 or so.

If you think about it, remove Brindleton Bay, remove the Vet career, remove the standard CAS items, and build buy items, and just focus on Cats, Dogs, CAP and Cat & Dog items.

They could make that money back from $10 extra.

They were able to have Cats, Dogs and Rain in The Urbz, while building an entire Custom engine, all with unique animations, voice actors etc. and only charged $40.
  • VengefulNoodlesVengefulNoodles Posts: 128 Member
    Yes
    I'd pay $80 max.
    So maybe having them be separate is for the best.
    o5jNANX.gif
  • ParaleeParalee Posts: 1,166 Member
    Yes
    I am open to anything that saves us from having to wait for obvious content and makes room for brand new ideas
    My speculations on hints for future content:
    -Cars Update
    -Spiral/Diagonal Stairs Update
    -Hotel Pack
    -Romance Pack (possibly combined with Hotel Pack)
    -Bands Pack
    -Royalty Pack
    -Fashion Design Pack
    -Fairies Pack
    -Werewolf Pack
    -France-inspired World
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    Yes
    Yeah at least basic weather, like rain, cloudy skies, temperature, and then lunar cycles.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited February 2018
    Yes
    I understand that some may not be able to do so. However, if it means that I get want I want immediately, rather than a three or four year wait? Heck yes, I'd buy it! Paying for expediency is not unheard or uncommon.

A Pets/Season base game that is full of the things that makes those EPs great would be my dream base game. I wouldn't have that constant sense of waiting for the game to finally be worth playing. Which is exactly the reason that a Pet/Seasons EP will never happen.

Pets and Seasons are the carrots that EA has always held out to keep the consumers moving forward. If they gave up the goodies immediately, a lot of players, such as myself, wouldn't really feel the urgent need to buy all the other stuff that they keep shoveling out. In particular, I wouldn't look at the stuff packs twice.

I believe that it's that constant sense of hunger and lack of fulfillment that keeps quite a few of us buying the DLC -- even sometimes when it's things that we're not particularly interested in. EA wouldn't ruin that winning formula. Not straight away. Nope.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
    Yes
    Cynna wrote: »
    I understand that some may not be able to do so. However, if it means that I get want I want immediately, rather than a three or four year wait? Heck yes, I'd buy it! Paying for expediency is not unheard or uncommon.

A Pets/Season base game that is full of the things that makes those EPs great would be my dream base game. I wouldn't have that constant sense of waiting for the game to finally be worth playing. Which is exactly the reason that a Pet/Seasons EP will never happen.

Pets and Seasons are the carrots that EA has always held out to keep the consumers moving forward. If they gave up the goodies immediately, a lot of players, such as myself, wouldn't really feel the urgent need to buy all the other stuff that they keep shoveling out. In particular, I wouldn't look at the stuff packs twice.

I believe that it's that constant sense of hunger and lack of fulfillment that keeps quite a few of us buying the DLC -- even sometimes when it's things that we're not particularly interested in. EA wouldn't ruin that winning formula. Not straight away. Nope.

Good points. We got Pets now anticipating Seasons.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »

That's just not true. If EA cared and gave it time and well....love, the game would be detailed and entertaining as it should. That's just not an excuse for me. Many companies/studios out there strive to have good detailed games.

On another matter, making it a BG thing could probably make it so that later add ons have more things that interact with the weather changes.

It asked my opinion and I answered my opinion. I am not questioning you on your opinion - nor do I care what other games do - my concern is this game. So you can agree to disagree at most. Do not determine for me what is true or untrue. For me it is true I can not imagine dealing with pets and weather with a new Sims game - mainly because for the 18 years this game has been out - that is the way it worked and the way I am used to it. It is my truth and my opinion.
    True or untrue (you are stating that quite factual), basegame ghosts for example blow patch ghosts out of the water. And though TS4 toddlers are the best content wise, they apparently are glitchy and buggy in ways the basegame toddlers are not. So I don’t quite see why basegame wheather and pets wouldn’t be as good (or better) as seasons and pets in a pack.

How so?

he Sims 4 Ghosts seem the like TS3 Ghosts but with extra powers. Toddlers don't have any bugs that I'm aware of?

Are you kidding? High chair bug, pop the toddler in, toddler asks to get out and cue the family member dropping everything to get them back out. Except the toddler is starving and to repeat the exercise will repeat the behaviour.

“Check on toddler” bug all teens and adults are obsessed with checking the needs of a toddler. Even sims with hate children traits. Except checking on the toddler results in it being put on the potty even if their bladder is fine or being fed and put in the high chair when the toddler isn’t hungry!

A more recent one is the toddler being put in the high chair to get a telling off.

Some Simmers are having bugs where the play interaction is completely bugged and doesn’t work. The adult does the animation while the toddler remains on the ground.

Can you please stop bringing other Games into this? What’s that got to do with the price of tea in China?
    This is the sims 4 not the sims 3 , 2 or 1.

On topic I would buy a base game with pets and weather in it. I play lots of games in different genres and basic weather is a base game feature, sometimes seasons are. Waiting in the sims 4 case four years for weather is too excessive.
    Yes

How so?

Are you kidding? High chair bug, pop the toddler in, toddler asks to get out and cue the family member dropping everything to get them back out. Except the toddler is starving and to repeat the exercise will repeat the behaviour.

“Check on toddler” bug all teens and adults are obsessed with checking the needs of a toddler. Even sims with hate children traits. Except checking on the toddler results in it being put on the potty even if their bladder is fine or being fed and put in the high chair when the toddler isn’t hungry!

A more recent one is the toddler being put in the high chair to get a telling off.

Some Simmers are having bugs where the play interaction is completely bugged and doesn’t work. The adult does the animation while the toddler remains on the ground.

Can you please stop bringing other Games into this? What’s that got to do with the price of tea in China?

On topic I would buy a base game with pets and weather in it. I play lots of games in different genres and basic weather is a base game feature, sometimes seasons are. Waiting in the sims 4 case four years for weather is too excessive.

To be fair she was responding to a poster who commented on base game ghosts, ie, prior versions.
  • jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,861 Member
    edited February 2018
    Yes
    I would support basic pets and weather being in the game. Price wise, I would think about $100 USD would be fair for a more complete base game. I have long thought that after three and now four iterations of these two packs, it is time for the next base game to include at least dogs, cats and rain/snow. On the other hand to justify the price increase, these two packs have traditionally been the most reliable sellers throughout the series, and they'd be giving that assurance up of pack sales. Yes, they could still do a seasons pack, but do more people buy seasons because of the seasonal activities, or because of the weather? Same for Pets, yes they could still do a pets pack but are people still as likely to buy it if they have cats and dogs already? I think that folding in a price increase along with what will likely be a $10 hike to the base game anyways would recoup some of that lost sales.

Plus, if there is a Sims 5, they will have potentially have several more years to work on it that Sims 3 and Sims 4. potentially being the key - if they still only work on it two years out from release, it makes no difference in amount of time the have. But if they start a year or two early they could focus some of that time and effort into getting these things that maybe should be in the base game by now, into the base game.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • TiarellaTiarella Posts: 661 Member
    I'm in agreement with those who believe the base game should come with weather, even if basic weather (sunny/cloudy/rainy/maybe windy) & no seasons, plus all life stages. If it's not in the base game, then 1st exp. should be university, so that you can send your babies to college, rather than your great-great-something-grandbabies. : P I stopped aging on my sims, waiting so they could go to college...still waiting! (Yes, I did finally give up. Maybe the great-greats can get a college education.)

As to the price? No way I'd pay that much for any game. I'd have to wait for half-off sales (as I've been doing for a long time already!)
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited February 2018
    Yes

How so?

To be fair she was responding to a poster who commented on base game ghosts, ie, prior versions.
    No, I commented on the assumption basegame wheather and pets wouldn’t be as good (or better) as seasons and pets in a pack. Because basegame ghosts in TS3 are better (more stable, no culling, they’re going nowhere, I still have my heirs from the first generation in my game (2010) while I’m in my 21st generation at the moment). Basegame features can be just as good as features that come with a pack. That was my point.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Yes

Finally I'm totally right with you.
    Lu4ERme.gif