Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Build-n-Share Challenge #182 **Jack Frost Comes Knocking** Due February 29, 2024

Comments

• BuildnShareBuildnShare Posts: 4,061 Member
    #BnS86 is now officially closed
    GArBA5W.jpg
    edited January 2018
    #BnS87 -For The Love of Fabric

Karl was buzzing with excitement. "I can't believe it! We are going to have a celebrity asking us for help!"

You smile pleasantly, remembering how Rose had once been this excited too. After so long though, she, like you, had learned that celebrities were merely people and the excitement had waned. "Relax Karl!" You laugh, "It's not as if we haven't done work for VIPs before. Just take a few breaths and try to behave just like you would with anyone."

"But it's not anyone! It's one of the Modas! They are THE name in the fashion world!" he protested.

"I didn't know you were interested in fashion," you say, even more amused.

"Who doesn't like to look good?" he says, smoothing down his crisp shirt absently. "But they are rich, famous and they make fashions that look good on anybody who happens to put on one of their designs, no matter what body type they may sport."

"I'm afraid I'm going to disappoint you then," says a voice that carries a slight accent and is smooth as melted chocolate. You both turn to see the middle-aged man standing in the doorway, holding onto the chimes so they didn't give him away. He smiles genially. "I am Joao Moda. I believe I am here for a 3 pm appointment."

Karl looks like he wants to walk in front of a passing bus. You however simply smile and hold out your hand to greet him. "Mr. Moda, welcome. Why don't we talk in my office?"

As Karl sees to the coffee, you assess your latest client. He's a good-looking man with dark hair, suntanned skin and a brilliant smile. HIs clothing is entirely in black but cut with a style that makes you, who are normally a snappy dresser, look a bit shabby. But it's his shirt that really interests you.

"You like my suit?" He asks, catching you studying him.

"Yes. It looks great!"

He grins, "Its 15 years old."

Your mouth drops open. "It looks brand new!"

"Thank you!" Joao thanks Karl for the coffee and sips it. "You see, I am an oddity in my family. Everyone else is a designer of this fashion or that. I...am a dud. I can't design my way out of a paper bag." He grimaces.

"I imagine that makes things difficult from time to time," you say sympathetically, remembering the teasing of your own siblings.

Joao nods then brightens. "However I am the best in the family at sewing and tailoring. So I turned my attention to that end of things. I developed a love for fabrics, rather than design. How does it feel on the skin? How does the color wear? Will it stretch? Will it sag? How does this one need to be taken care of as opposed to that one? Will this color fade? Or can it take multiple wears? It is all fascinating! And along the way, I developed several ways of taking care of fabric that ensures the longevity and shape.
    "Which brings me to you. I'm tired of the hustle and bustle of my family's factories. I've decided that I need a break. So I would like to build a laundromat."

"A..laundromat?" You stare at him. Your mental images of laundromats, hot and filled with the scent of lint, don't seem to match with this classily dressed man.

"A laundromat. So I can help educate people on how to best to take care of their clothing or do it for them if they need. With a section for tailoring." He says confidently.

"Well, that's something we can certainly do..." You say, pulling out your pen. "Let's talk about design..."

Brief:
    • Build a laundromat (note - you do not need the Laundry Day Stuff pack, just get creative with MOO)
    • No less than 5 washers and dryers.
    • A take in section
    • A tailoring/ dressmaking area

Your budget is
    §75,000

Room Challenge
    Create Joao Moda an office, somewhere he can experiment with different fabrics and techniques.

Sim Challenge
    Create Joao Moda, using the information above.

A reminder to use the entry form as is. If you are adding any pictures, please limit them to two per entry post and place them at the bottom of the entry form.

The deadline for this challenge is 7th February 2018
    Post edited by BuildnShare on
    GArBA5W.jpg
    ATTENTION ESTABLISHED ENTRANTS FOR #BNS86 - A LIBRARY FOR NEWCREST

Your results are now available here.

GArBA5W.jpg
  • kilra0kilra0 Posts: 644 Member
    edited January 2018
    FORUM ID: Kilra0
    ORIGIN ID: Kilra0
    LEVEL: Expert :S
    LOT: Neat and Clean Laundromat
    LOT COST: 2,000
    LOT NAME: Paddywacks Emporium (Magnolia Promenade)
    BUILD COST: 68,433
    TOTAL COST: 70,433
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: here
    ENTRY DETAILS: I've never been to a laundromat but it seems it is no lovely place to be. To shorten the waiting time I would need some coffee and cake (... I'm not fat! but always hungry) and seatings would be nice. I can imaging it's hot in there therefore I decided to do the "nice" waiting area to the outside. (You know it's always sunny there :smile: ) And I know you like different floors in the room to create a more interesting look, but I think there no need for that one the first floor. I like the inside-out feeling for that quite simple and industrial look here. The tailoring area is on the 2. floor. Hope you like the catwalk for any (?) events.
    CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: yes, please
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: nocc but paintings by tiya33
    SPACE FOR PICTURES:
    vrFlcpI.png
  • JosieAnglinJosieAnglin Posts: 591 Member
    BUILD OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM
    CHALLENGE #87: For The Love of Fabric.
    FORUM ID: JosieAnglin.
    ORIGIN ID: Netxpre2.
    LEVEL: Established.
    LOT: Retro Laundromat.
    LOT COST: $1,500.
    LOT NAME: Oak Alcove.
    BUILD COST: $43,406
    TOTAL COST: $44,906
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: Here.
    ENTRY DETAILS: I was inspired by New York's industrial brick buildings for the outside landscaping and overall design. For the interior I wanted to create a 1950's themed laundromat using the bright color scheme but also incorporate the metal chairs and floor pattern with the wall texture.
    CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes.
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: None.
    SPACE FOR PICTURES:

zz4dRrI.jpg
    6jeZeqp.jpg
    ROOM ENTRY FORM
    ROOM LINK: Workers Muse.
    ENTRY DETAILS: I wanted to keep pretty much everything in the room very neutral because if there is a lot of different design elements and colors throughout the room, Joao will probably have a very hard time focusing on the colors he is using as well as the new techniques he is performing. He has plenty of space to work on multiple projects at once and has a computer he can do research on. I also included a rolling book cart in his office so that he can use the fabric books he currently owns as reference. He has two mannequins he can use if he needs to as well as three different cork boards he can use for notes or pictures.
    SPACE FOR PICTURES:

UbNonA6.jpg
    5LJB2hB.jpg
    SIM ENTRY FORM
    HOUSEHOLD: Joao Moda.
    SPACE FOR PICTURES:

MEiNRXn.png
    E85KzxH.png
    ATTENTION EXPERT ENTRANTS FOR #BNS86 - A LIBRARY FOR NEWCREST

Your results are now available here.

GArBA5W.jpg
  • abelhinha35abelhinha35 Posts: 2,303 Member
    edited February 2018

FORUM ID: Abelhinha35
    ORIGIN ID: Issabella14
    LEVEL: Expert
    LOT: Daisy Havel - Willow Creek
    LOT COST: $2,000
    LOT NAME: Wishy Washy Laundromat
    BUILD COST: $72,977
    TOTAL COST: $74,977
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: https://www.flickr.com/photos/149417332@N07/albums/72157690075482862
    GALLERY LINK: https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/pc/gallery/24B921D008C511E885ED2EE48FE21983?category=all&searchtype=ea_origin_id&sortby=newest&time=all&searchquery=Issabella14&max=50&maxis=false

ENTRY DETAILS: Wishy Washy Laundromat is a delightful place to enjoy your repetitive chore of laundry. It's a place where you meet friends and make friends just by doing your laundry. It has everything you need to keep your clothing tidy, the tailoring section, and clean, the laundry and dry cleaning section. The cafe has an inviting atmosphere and has delicious food and drinks. I have also added two showers for those who need to wash and wear on the go. (I hope it works on a community lot, as that will inspire the sims to do laundry on the lot) . It has been play tested. :)

SPACE FOR PICTURES:

L8BP7un.png
    Post edited by abelhinha35 on
    ambzz3 wrote: »
    CHALLENGE #86: A Library for Newcrest
    FORUM ID: ambzz3
    ORIGIN ID: ambzz3
    LEVEL: Starting Out
    LOT:www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/pc/gallery/0BC2E8BBF77E11E78F4295E26243B3DA?category=lots&searchtype=item_name&sortby=newest&time=all&searchquery=Library&max=50&maxis=false
    LOT COST:2500
    LOT NAME: Sandy Run (Newcrest)
    BUILD COST: 100,000
    TOTAL COST: 102,500
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW:onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?cid=1d2006c7c3686734&page=view&resid=1D2006C7C3686734!1998&parId=1D2006C7C3686734!104&app=PowerPoint
    ENTRY DETAILS: First time entering this challenge, or any build challenge. Tried to stick to a very basic, modern theme. Also added a children's area.
    CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: yes
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: no cc used
    SPACE FOR PICTURES:

@ambzz3 I cannot open your slideshow. It says it may be missing or I don't have permission to view it. Please make it public so that it can be viewed.

Thank you :)
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • PiratePirate Posts: 66 Member
    You say I don't need the Laundry Day stuff pack, and to get creative with MOO? I'm still new to all the lingo and am still feeling my way around the game. What do you mean by MOO, and how can I complete the challenge (i.e. the washer and dryers, designers room) without the packs? Is there a secret? :# or maybe I should just stick to the sim challenge
    Is the budget include the cost of the lot or is it based on build cost alone?
    Pirate wrote: »
    You say I don't need the Laundry Day stuff pack, and to get creative with MOO? I'm still new to all the lingo and am still feeling my way around the game. What do you mean by MOO, and how can I complete the challenge (i.e. the washer and dryers, designers room) without the packs? Is there a secret? :# or maybe I should just stick to the sim challenge

Welcome, @Pirate ! MOO (short for MoveObjectsOn) refers to the bb.moveobjects cheat code that can be entered by holding down the Ctrl+Shift+C keys. When you hold down this combination of keys while inside your lot, a small text entry box will open at the top/left of your screen. Type bb.moveobjects into this bar and hit Enter. This activates the cheat code. Then hit Esc to exit the cheat window. Having MOO activated will allow you to place objects very near and even inside each other. Once MOO is activated, you can further grab objects and use Shift+9 to raise them and Shift+0 to lower them. Using these in-game "cheats" will allow you to combine game objects creatively to mimic what real laundry objects like washers and dryers look like.

Please let us know if you have any other questions about using these game options :)

GArBA5W.jpg
  • ZayvenZayven Posts: 67 Member
    edited February 2018
    CHALLENGE #87: The the Love of Fabric
    FORUM ID: Zayven
    ORIGIN ID: Zayven
    LEVEL: Starting Out
    LOT: https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/pc/gallery/75EAEABC092911E883902979BDEA37E6
    LOT COST: $2000
    LOT NAME: South Square Coffee, Windenburg
    BUILD COST: $72,146
    TOTAL COST: $74,146
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: https://postimg.org/gallery/i4ypy83q/
    ENTRY DETAILS: The Alla Moda Laundromat (which means the fashionable laundromat!) is now open for business! Bright, cheerful, and welcoming are the first things that come to mind with the design of this laundromat. Clothing shouldn't be a chore, and it shouldn't seem daunting to care for! That is why Joao Moda is here to help you! Full service laundry, dry cleaning, and tailoring, in a prime location. Take a stroll along the water while you wait, or read a book in the little cafe area. If you have any questions, no matter how big or small, don't hesitate to ask! How often do you have a master at your fingertips at no additional charge?

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: lulu265, kardofe, BuffSumm, soloriya, Severinka_
    SPACE FOR PICTURES:
    02-03-18_8-00-02_PM.png
    Brava @abelhinha35 !! Wishy Washy is Amazing! If this was a game of Poker I'd be thinking about Folding! Way to Go!
    Thank you @BuildnShare ! Very useful. I haven't even BEGUN to mess with cheat codes. Guess now's' as good a time as any. Question: for the Room Challenge, are we to build the room as a stand alone in the middle of a lot or does it have to be apart of the laundry mat?
  • abelhinha35abelhinha35 Posts: 2,303 Member
    Brava @abelhinha35 !! Wishy Washy is Amazing! If this was a game of Poker I'd be thinking about Folding! Way to Go!

Thanks @Pirate. :)<3 There is so much building talent on this forum it will blow you away. :)
    edited February 2018
    Thank you @BuildnShare ! Very useful. I haven't even BEGUN to mess with cheat codes. Guess now's' as good a time as any. Question: for the Room Challenge, are we to build the room as a stand alone in the middle of a lot or does it have to be apart of the laundry mat?

@Pirate , the room challenges are meant as separate challenges for those who don't have the time or inclination to do the full building challenge—not that you couldn't do both anyway! So the room can be a stand alone room (in the middle of a lot, but saved as a room and not a lot). I hope that answers your question. :smiley:
    Is the budget include the cost of the lot or is it based on build cost alone?
    The budget includes the cost of the lot. (Budget = Lot Cost + Gallery Cost)
    GArBA5W.jpg
    @ambzz3 I cannot open your slideshow. It says it may be missing or I don't have permission to view it. Please make it public so that it can be viewed.

Thank you :)

One last call to @ambzz3... Starting Out results will be released Tuesday evening (CST) without consideration of your media unless we hear back from you before then.
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • Laireen35Laireen35 Posts: 47 Member
    SIM ENTRY FORM
    CHALLENGE #87: For The Love of Fabric
    FORUM ID: PV13
    ORIGIN ID: Lyrens35
    LEVEL: Established
    HOUSEHOLD: Link to Household on the Gallery
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: Link to presentation on Dropbox
    ENTRY DETAILS: This is my first entry to any CAS Challenge (entering in Established). What we know:Middle-aged male, good-looking, suntanned, dark hair, brilliant smile, comes from a wealthy and famous family of fashion designers, smooth voice with slight accent, dressed entirely in black, but with an interesting shirt, good at sewing and tailoring. So my thoughts about Joao are:
    1) his family originates from somewhere in southern or eastern Europe (Italy/Spain/Hungary).
    2) he’s single, loves to travel (hence the tan), humble but outgoing.
    3) loves fabrics, and is always experimenting with new combinations, even though he himself is a conservative dresser.
    Aspiration: Painter Extraordinare/Muser
    Traits: Creative, Good, Cheerful

CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: N/A – No CC
    SPACE FOR PICTURES:
    edited February 2018
    PV13 wrote: »
    SIM ENTRY FORM

LEVEL: Established
    HOUSEHOLD: https://www.ea.com/en-gb/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/pc/gallery/86D0116A0B4211E88E8B2EE48FE21983
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/onb5m9cb1mz14qg/AACSdUoajeh1Hd5WjBACZVdca?dl=0
    ENTRY DETAILS: This is my first entry to any CAS Challenge (entering in Established). What we know:Middle-aged male, good-looking, suntanned, dark hair, brilliant smile, comes from a wealthy and famous family of fashion designers, smooth voice with slight accent, dressed entirely in black, but with an interesting shirt, good at sewing and tailoring. So my thoughts about Joao are:
    1) his family originates from somewhere in southern or eastern Europe (Italy/Spain/Hungary).
    2) he’s single, loves to travel (hence the tan), humble but outgoing.
    3) loves fabrics, and is always experimenting with new combinations, even though he himself is a conservative dresser.
    Aspiration: Painter Extraordinare/Muser
    Traits: Creative, Good, Cheerful

SPACE FOR PICTURES:

HT3llAc.png

LV8z9fb.png

I've added your media @PV13 :wink:

GArBA5W.jpg
    LOT: h ttps://www.ea.com/en-gb/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/pc/gallery/264087B10B5811E883C02EE48FE21983
    LOT COST: 0 §
    LOT NAME: Waterside WARBLE, San Myshuno
    BUILD COST: 74,992 §
    TOTAL COST: 74,992 §
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: h ttps://www.dropbox.com/sh/onb5m9cb1mz14qg/AACSdUoajeh1Hd5WjBACZVdca?dl=0

ENTRY DETAILS:
    City Dry Clean & Tailoring – owned by Mr. Joao Moda, who is a new entrepreneur in town. He quit working for his family and is now starting up a small combined Dry Cleaner/Café in San Myshuno. Here he will be able to work on his tailoring skills, and dress the entire city in the fabrics he loves so much.
    Background story: Joao loves fabrics in every shade, color and texture. He wants to share his love for tailoring with the people of San Myshuno, so he turned one of his family’s old factories into a dry clean/laundry/tailor/café, combining all his favorite things in one.
    On the first floor you’ll find the dry clean/laundry with take in section, and a small cozy café area. This way the customers can bring in their dirty laundry, and while Mr. Moda and his employees take care of the delicate fabrics, they can enjoy a cup of coffee. Should the customers be hungry too, they can purchase a proper meal at the outside food stall overlooking the beautiful San Myshuno Bay area.
    On the second floor, Joao has set up his office and a tailoring studio, where customers can come up for fittings. The room is tastefully decorated with all his fabric swatches and mannequins with tailored outfits.
    The lot also comes with public restrooms and sidewalk benches.

SPACE FOR PICTURES:
    edited February 2018
    LOT: https://www.ea.com/en-gb/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/pc/gallery/264087B10B5811E883C02EE48FE21983
    LOT COST: 0 §
    LOT NAME: Waterside WARBLE, San Myshuno
    BUILD COST: 74,992 §
    TOTAL COST: 74,992 §
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/onb5m9cb1mz14qg/AACSdUoajeh1Hd5WjBACZVdca?dl=0

ENTRY DETAILS:
    City Dry Clean & Tailoring – owned by Mr. Joao Moda, who is a new entrepreneur in town. He quit working for his family and is now starting up a small combined Dry Cleaner/Café in San Myshuno. Here he will be able to work on his tailoring skills, and dress the entire city in the fabrics he loves so much.
    Background story: Joao loves fabrics in every shade, color and texture. He wants to share his love for tailoring with the people of San Myshuno, so he turned one of his family’s old factories into a dry clean/laundry/tailor/café, combining all his favorite things in one.
    On the first floor you’ll find the dry clean/laundry with take in section, and a small cozy café area. This way the customers can bring in their dirty laundry, and while Mr. Moda and his employees take care of the delicate fabrics, they can enjoy a cup of coffee. Should the customers be hungry too, they can purchase a proper meal at the outside food stall overlooking the beautiful San Myshuno Bay area.
    On the second floor, Joao has set up his office and a tailoring studio, where customers can come up for fittings. The room is tastefully decorated with all his fabric swatches and mannequins with tailored outfits.
    The lot also comes with public restrooms and sidewalk benches.

SPACE FOR PICTURES:

GGAKuSy.png

Ife0YWw.png

GArBA5W.jpg
    ROOM ENTRY FORM
    ROOM: h ttps://www.ea.com/en-gb/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/pc/gallery/D44AA1880B8811E885462EE48FE21983
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: h ttps://www.dropbox.com/sh/onb5m9cb1mz14qg/AACSdUoajeh1Hd5WjBACZVdca?dl=0
    ENTRY DETAILS: Mr. Joao Moda’s office, to be placed on the second floor of the City Dry Clean and Tailoring. The perfect space to explore new combinations of fabrics and experiment with bold patterns and textures. Note: The black flooring around the room is illustrating the open space to the lower level of the building. The grey flooring is where the stairs go. #ForTheLoveOfFabrics.
    SPACE FOR PICTURES:
    edited February 2018
    ROOM ENTRY FORM
    ROOM: https://www.ea.com/en-gb/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/pc/gallery/D44AA1880B8811E885462EE48FE21983
    ENTRY DETAILS: Mr. Joao Moda’s office, to be placed on the second floor of the City Dry Clean and Tailoring. The perfect space to explore new combinations of fabrics and experiment with bold patterns and textures. Note: The black flooring around the room is illustrating the open space to the lower level of the building. The grey flooring is where the stairs go. #ForTheLoveOfFabrics.
    SPACE FOR PICTURES:

gC3sxjw.png

JSMPML9.png

GArBA5W.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file