Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Would You Be Open To Seasons and Pets in a Base Game?

Comments

• NikNakNikNak Posts: 302 Member
    Yes
    I voted yes, then saw the price tag you put at the top. No way.

Seasons should without a doubt be part of the base game at this point. There's no excuse.
  • BridgetKVBridgetKV Posts: 200 Member
    Maybe
    I voted maybe because I would love to have a base game with either pets or seasons, but I wouldn't pay over $100. I just can't justify spending that much money on the base game where most triple-A title games are priced $40-$70, averaging at $60. Even then I wait until games go on sale before I buy them.
    That being said, I would pay full price for a sims game that had seasons or pets in the base game at launch. I would prefer season in the base over pets, as I feel that players would benefit more of pets were in an EP of their own due to the amount of focus the gurus would be able to put into developing them. Additionally I think that seasons should have been in the base game since TS2, but that's just my opinion.
  • EliharbEliharb Posts: 476 Member
    edited February 2018
    Yes
    I voted yes, because.. let's face it, these are the most requested EPs in sims games. Cats & Dogs was greatly anticipated and so will seasons.
    Thing is, that will never happen since a base game usually requires up to 4 years of development time. Let's say during those 4 years, dogs,cats and a weather system were squeezed in with more effort from the developers. These developers would be working hard on multiple things for years before the game actually comes out, and with no idea if it will flop or not at release (refering to the latest Simcity). And with a price tag of 120-150$, EA would never risk releasing a game with that price tag and having it flop and underperform. Not to mention issues like: tracing down what's causing bugs, finite resources (certain budget, limited number of developers). It just doesn't add up. I'm all for a different format of the sims, a true AAA title like GTA, where graphics and performance and features are generous and not half-butted and filled to the brim with a " 4 year GP EP SP plan". But they have their data which suggests that most simmers don't have gaming computers/consoles and play on laptops or medium-low range PCs and they chose to dumb down the aesthetic for TS4 based on that. So I don't see things changing much for the sims.
    Playing on Intel Core i7-5960X 16 core CPU - 32 GB DDR4 Ram - GTX 980 Ti
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited February 2018
    No
    That price is ridiculous.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    edited February 2018
    No
    I do love my Sims and I've dreamed about what you're describing but that price is CRAZY HIGH! I don't think I'd pay over $100 for a base game (has there ever been a base game that expensive in gaming history?).

I don't mind Pets being separate but I think weather should be included in the base game.
    Post edited by aricarai on
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Yes
    Of course money is not a problem, mostly if the game don't sucks.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • DraconDracon Posts: 119 Member
    No
    No. Such a prize is absolutely insane. Personally, Pets and Seasons should already come with the base game and should not be expansion packs just because Seasons and Pets already are an integral part of everyday life.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,837 Member
    Yes
    Dracon wrote: »
    No. Such a prize is absolutely insane. Personally, Pets and Seasons should already come with the base game and should not be expansion packs just because Seasons and Pets already are an integral part of everyday life.

Totally agree which is why those are the two packs I selected. I doubt though we'd ever see that for $40-$50.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Maybe
    I said maybe because it's the sims and I'd be interested. I'd probably at least wait until the first major sale especially if I have a game or games I'm still into playing and I think that will be the case when the next sims releases.
    egTcBMc.png
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    No
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    Are you out of your mind? How are some players supposed to afford that. To some, it's already almost too expensive. If there was an option for a base game or a base game with pets and seasons, maybe. But not as the only version.

That's my concern as well. Sure, you might be able to afford that much over time ($60 for the BG then $40 for each EP) but that's a lot to lay out at a single shot, especially if you might have to pay for a computer upgrade (processor, graphic card, RAM upgrade etc.) to play the new game plus all the extra stuff. And there are plenty of people who don't want pets and/or weather but you'd be forcing them to pay for stuff they have no interest in.

The purpose of the base game is to provide the foundation for playing the game and adding future content. So you need the Sims themselves, all the age stages (which is why it made no sense to release the game without toddlers -- even just basic toddlers would have been fine, then could improve them down the line to the ones we eventually got), careers, basic skill and career trees, social interactions between Sims and between Sims and objects. Weather and pets, while fun, aren't really essential to game play for every Sim, and by adding those to base game maybe we don't get something else that's more essential. For example, if the choice is between weather and better fleshed out teens (or even an additional age stage like pre-teens), which do you choose?
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    No
    I remember when video games were like $20, then they started increasing $10 every year. Like literally every game system and company got together and agreed to $10. It was crazy.

I bought it anyway though smh
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    No

Seasons, maybe, but Pets aren't an integral part of everyday life for everyone. Some people are allergic to animals, and, personally, I wish that was taken more into account. Suppose you meet Mr. Right, bring him home for dinner and find he's allergic to Mr. Snuggles your white Persian kitty -- do you go with the dude or the cat? Others live in non-pet friendly quarters; I'm currently in a small studio apartment in a building that doesn't allow animals (other than service animals for the disabled). And even Seasons' impacts aren't the same for everyone; I have to drive to have a white Christmas, sometime just an hour to the nearby hills but usually about 3-4 hours to hit the lowest level ski resort.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited February 2018
    Yes
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    Are you out of your mind? How are some players supposed to afford that. To some, it's already almost too expensive. If there was an option for a base game or a base game with pets and seasons, maybe. But not as the only version.

That's my concern as well. Sure, you might be able to afford that much over time ($60 for the BG then $40 for each EP) but that's a lot to lay out at a single shot, especially if you might have to pay for a computer upgrade (processor, graphic card, RAM upgrade etc.) to play the new game plus all the extra stuff. And there are plenty of people who don't want pets and/or weather but you'd be forcing them to pay for stuff they have no interest in.

The purpose of the base game is to provide the foundation for playing the game and adding future content. So you need the Sims themselves, all the age stages (which is why it made no sense to release the game without toddlers -- even just basic toddlers would have been fine, then could improve them down the line to the ones we eventually got), careers, basic skill and career trees, social interactions between Sims and between Sims and objects. Weather and pets, while fun, aren't really essential to game play for every Sim, and by adding those to base game maybe we don't get something else that's more essential. For example, if the choice is between weather and better fleshed out teens (or even an additional age stage like pre-teens), which do you choose?
    As far as I understand it (not from my own experience since I’m only playing this franchise) that is very much a Sims thing and in fact the very thing that’s being criticized?

bzpDEYG.jpg

I agree with you that approach is very suitable for the franchise, it all being offered in bits and pieces (I understand from new players buying everything for TS3 and installing it, the game can be way too overwhelming and indeed, there’s the financial aspect too), but a basegame needs more than just bare bones. One could perfectly defend weather and pets/animals should be basegame. I don’t see myself why we should choose between pets and fleshed out life stages. When I said yes to the OP’s proposition, the addition “let's also assume the developers have had adequate time and resources to develop an awesome base game” was a very important factor for me. And I also assumed that price tag was worth it. If it is, I’m totally willing to pay at once what I’d also pay if it was offered in stages.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    edited February 2018
    This is a rare case where you'll actually hear me defend EA/Maxis.

I don't think Pets/Seasons releasing as it does is a case of greed, but rather a case of neccesity. I think the people that typically demand Pets and Seasons become basegame content are incredibly naive and have no idea how much additional work those two things create. Animation work is expensive, and pets are an entire set of animations on par with the Sims themselves. Seasons is an entire system of the way the world works and needs proper conditions applied to each object to account for snowfall, for example.

Could some EPs be integrated as base game? Absolutely. Late Night for Sims 2 was once revolutionary just for adding an extensive amount of commercial lots, but now commercial lots and world exploration are staples. I could absolutely picture Ambitions for example being something that they could integrate as base game content and make active careers something we have on release.

Pets and Seasons though...?

If they took your suggestion and upped the price, they're sabotaging themselves because no one will pay that. If they didn't up the price, we are asking a lot and asking them to take a rather large hit to profit.

The current release method is probably the most reasonable. We pay the standard $40 each and get the two biggest, most tech-intensive EPs, and each time they must ensure quality to sell them. (well, theoretically anyways...) They get paid for their work and we get the content while game sales remain steady.

About the only thing they could possibly change is that one could absolutely argue they should perhaps work on them more in advance, both because it probably makes the integration of such features in the future much easier, and because it means a release shortly after launch (within a year) will silence most of the players missing them. Any other requests just seem absolutely unreasonable to me.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    Yes
    Well, it is true that this is a very labor-intensive endeavor. Couple that with inflation and rising labor and resource costs, and it would be difficult to pull off given budget constraints. Even if they have several teams working on different features in parallel, it still takes a great amount of coordination to make sure everything meshes well together.

If I had to choose one over the other, I'd pick seasons to be in the base game. Weather is more integral to our daily lives than pets, which some people don't have. And Sims 2 was originally supposed to have rain in the base game, so other seasonal effects shouldn't be that huge a stretch. Even if we don't get seasons-related activities, as long as the weather and season affect basic aspects of their daily lives, it should be enough. Maybe just basic stuff like building snowmen and playing in fall leaves should be good.

I can understand pets being difficult. You have different species, loads of animations and programming, and so many different interactions. I suppose I can give them a pass for selling major pets as an EP, because it really does have a DLC pack's worth of content. I just hope they never sell cats and dogs separately.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited February 2018
    No
    I would not want to contend with weather and pets while learning all the ins and outs of a new Sims series as both are very intense on their own - so I prefer to get add ons like that as an add - on, not as a base game. Beside neither would be as complete in a basegame as we enjoy as an ep. I do hope all human stages are in the base game - and that this time they focus on their uniqueness and differences. Keeping the toddlers in mind - put more individualization into each life stage and make them better sims like the toddlers are. Especially the infant needs lots of work - teens need to be teen like not looking and behaving like YA's. Kids should be playful not like minature YA's. Put a lot more effort into the Sims after all the whole game is called THE SIMS.

The could have school and Uni in a base game - it seems appropiate - and actually have schools we can choose to go to. Maybe give sims a Teacher career - start as an aide and make it all the way to the dean of the college hands on career.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

edited February 2018
    No

Totally agree which is why those are the two packs I selected. I doubt though we'd ever see that for $40-$50.

That logic for me personally makes no sense.

First I personally don't mind not having pets in the base game but weather is a must.

Second, any further game in the same franchise (even as a spin off sometimes) tends or is suppose to be better and an improved version of the last. With better mechanics, and more gameplay otherwise there really is no point in making a new instalment. The sims isn't a story based game like others so you are not adding anything that isn't features and tools.

It's not advancement if you don't add anything, if you don't well advance. Paying 100€ for a base game isn't paying for a base game it's paying for a base game and an EP altogether. It would ultimately be the same as before with no change. What's the advancement if it's the same as having TS2,3,4 base game with an "early access" Seasons EP? That makes no sense in any way and it's just stupidity in my opinion. Might as well make it a later EP as always but...would I buy another BG without weather? Probably not, unless the counterbalance is indeed good. To me TS4 is the example that it is not.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
    edited February 2018
    No
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    I would not want to contend with weather and pets while learning all the ins and outs of a new Sims series as both are very intense on their own - so I prefer to get add ons like that as an add - on, not as a base game. Beside neither would be as complete in a basegame as we enjoy as an ep. I do hope all human stages are in the base game - and that this time they focus on their uniqueness and differences. Keeping the toddlers in mind - put more individualization into each life stage and make them better sims like the toddlers are. Especially the infant needs lots of work - teens need to be teen like not looking and behaving like YA's. Kids should be playful not like minature YA's. Put a lot more effort into the Sims after all the whole game is called THE SIMS.

The could have school and Uni in a base game - it seems appropiate - and actually have schools we can choose to go to. Maybe give sims a Teacher career - start as an aide and make it all the way to the dean of the college hands on career.

That's just not true. If EA cared and gave it time and well....love, the game would be detailed and entertaining as it should. That's just not an excuse for me. Many companies/studios out there strive to have good detailed games.

On another matter, making it a BG thing could probably make it so that later add ons have more things that interact with the weather changes.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
    No
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

That's just not true. If EA cared and gave it time and well....love, the game would be detailed and entertaining as it should. That's just not an excuse for me. Many companies/studios out there strive to have good detailed games.

On another matter, making it a BG thing could probably make it so that later add ons have more things that interact with the weather changes.

It asked my opinion and I answered my opinion. I am not questioning you on your opinion - nor do I care what other games do - my concern is this game. So you can agree to disagree at most. Do not determine for me what is true or untrue. For me it is true I can not imagine dealing with pets and weather with a new Sims game - mainly because for the 18 years this game has been out - that is the way it worked and the way I am used to it. It is my truth and my opinion.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Yes
    Actually who I'm kidding. Not for $120_$150 price. That's WAY too much.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,837 Member
    Yes

Thanks for the civil response. I hadn't given any thought to just how much of a learning curve would be involved if the two expansions were included in the base game. For me your response is the best yet for not doing it this way and also why I prefer gamepacks to expansion packs because the content is more manageable for me.
    No

Thanks for the civil response. I hadn't given any thought to just how much of a learning curve would be involved if the two expansions were included in the base game. For me your response is the best yet for not doing it this way and also why I prefer gamepacks to expansion packs because the content is more manageable for me.

Thank you.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• LiesSimLiesSim Posts: 358 Member
    edited February 2018
    Yes
    If and only if the additions to the base game would be fully fleshed out, I'd pay the very high purchasing price (as stated in the first post of this thread). First I'd check out a lot of gameplay video's though, you know to see for myself if it is worth the money.

They would never do this though. A lot of people can't just spend an amount of money like that in one single purchase. It would be clear with the sales numbers.
    Yes
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

It asked my opinion and I answered my opinion. I am not questioning you on your opinion - nor do I care what other games do - my concern is this game. So you can agree to disagree at most. Do not determine for me what is true or untrue. For me it is true I can not imagine dealing with pets and weather with a new Sims game - mainly because for the 18 years this game has been out - that is the way it worked and the way I am used to it. It is my truth and my opinion.
    True or untrue (you are stating that quite factual), basegame ghosts for example blow patch ghosts out of the water. And though TS4 toddlers are the best content wise, they apparently are glitchy and buggy in ways the basegame toddlers are not. So I don’t quite see why basegame wheather and pets wouldn’t be as good (or better) as seasons and pets in a pack.
    5JZ57S6.png
    Yes

Does that mean you’d rather have seen C&D to be a GP? What would have been the - positive - difference?
    5JZ57S6.png