Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What life span do you most often play?

Comments

• carlystur03carlystur03 Posts: 435 Member
    Epic
    I usually turn aging off for a while, actually, as I play a Young Adult sim until I've gotten the majority of the way to the sim's LTW done before I turn on Epic (customized to as long as possible) for both Young Adult and Adult stages, though I haven't really even reached the 2nd generation of any sim family yet - save for one which I lost several years ago.
  • MythicBiscuitMythicBiscuit Posts: 32 Member
    Long
    I tend to change it up depending on the family I play, but mostly stick with Long.
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,426 Member
    edited January 2018
    Epic
    OK...I reset my lifespan by options.ini to the following to match up to the following seasons: 14 days for all seasons (two weeks); an year is 56 days in my sims lifespan.

I'm not changing the lifespan for baby or toddler - they drive me absolutely insane. Sorry. I've had my fill with RL babies and toddlers.

agingstagelengthbaby = 3
    agingstagelengthtoddler = 7
    agingstagelengthchild = 650
    agingstagelengthteen = 356
    agingstagelengthyoungadult = 672
    agingstagelengthadult = 1960
    agingstagelengthelder = 1020

To tell you the truth, I'm wondering if this lifespan is EPIC or INSANE
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Jaline33Jaline33 Posts: 1,167 Member
    Long
    I play either Long or Epic (depending on the world) and I also customize the lifespans of Sims and pets. However, aging is also off for most of the gameplay except for the first household in each world where the entire world ages together.
  • stargurustarguru Posts: 2,115 Member
    Aging is turned off.
    I used to play on normal, but found it too short of a time to accomplish everything I wanted to. Hectic wasn’t fun, and I found a customized long or epic span suited me better. But I chose aging turned off because I always turn it off at some point as I rotate between households in most saves. Sometimes I’ll turn aging back on but most of the time I forget, lol. Regardless of setting, I just cake active Sims when I feel it’s time to move to the next stage and mass age Sims in unplayed households with MC as needed.
  • MagdaleenaMagdaleena Posts: 973 Member
    Long
    At my pace, Normal is just way too short to get stuff done over their lifespan. Long is just right.

I play with custom settings that are supposed to match irl people more proportionally, but I can't be bothered to fetch them right now.

lil_pixel_boys.png
    they/he
    simblr
  • OriginalMaraOriginalMara Posts: 1,669 Member
    Epic
    OK...I reset my lifespan by options.ini to the following to match up to the following seasons: 14 days for all seasons (two weeks); an year is 56 days in my sims lifespan.

I'm not changing the lifespan for baby or toddler - they drive me absolutely insane. Sorry. I've had my fill with RL babies and toddlers.

agingstagelengthbaby = 3

Not any more insane than mine is! :lol:

I play with 60-day years... Seasons are 15 days/3 months long... and I do a lunar cycle of 6 days, which goes to about one cycle a month.
    (Pregnancy is 45 days/9 months).

agingstagelengthbaby = 60 (or 1 year)
    agingstagelengthtoddler = 180 (3 years)
    agingstagelengthchild = 540 (9 years)
    agingstagelengthteen = 360 (6 years)
    agingstagelengthyoungadult = 960 (16 years)
    agingstagelengthadult = 1500 (25 years)
    agingstagelengthelder = 600 (10 years)

Total life span = 4200 days or 70 years

I guess they're not too much different. :lol:
  • bklienhartbklienhart Posts: 2,975 Member
    Normal
    I've got to ask, what do you guys do with all those days? There aren't any LTW I can't do in the normalish 14+28+28 of teen/YA/A that I usually play. There's only so many times I can max out every skill before I get tired of it.
  • cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    Normal
    bklienhart wrote: »
    I've got to ask, what do you guys do with all those days? There aren't any LTW I can't do in the normalish 14+28+28 of teen/YA/A that I usually play. There's only so many times I can max out every skill before I get tired of it.

I was wondering the same thing. I play on normal with 14+21+35 for T+YA+A and have no problem reaching most LTWs, if I am actually trying to attain that goal. (Sometimes I just give them a LTW because they need one but I have no intention of actually reaching it.) I do have NRaas Relativity speed set to 25 which allows my sims to take 1/3 less time to accomplish tasks. That way they mostly can shower and eat in the 2 hours before being picked up for work. I also use traveling to work on skills, etc. Although my main sim can be a little bit of a "Mary Sue" I never go so far as to have them max all skills or have them accomplish everything. I usually play a game to try different things so my sims are mostly focused on those things (although I can easily be sidetracked :) ).
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,426 Member
    Epic

agingstagelengthbaby = 3

Not any more insane than mine is! :lol:

I play with 60-day years... Seasons are 15 days/3 months long... and I do a lunar cycle of 6 days, which goes to about one cycle a month.
    (Pregnancy is 45 days/9 months).

agingstagelengthbaby = 60 (or 1 year)
    agingstagelengthtoddler = 180 (3 years)
    agingstagelengthchild = 540 (9 years)
    agingstagelengthteen = 360 (6 years)
    agingstagelengthyoungadult = 960 (16 years)
    agingstagelengthadult = 1500 (25 years)
    agingstagelengthelder = 600 (10 years)

Total life span = 4200 days or 70 years

I guess they're not too much different. :lol:

@OriginalMara,

Just to let you know, I just doubled mine a few days ago so that I could logically run a 28 day season which would be 112 days for a full year.

So for me a lifespan would be roughly over 9688 days. :D
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    Normal
    cwaddell wrote: »

I was wondering the same thing. I play on normal with 14+21+35 for T+YA+A and have no problem reaching most LTWs, if I am actually trying to attain that goal. (Sometimes I just give them a LTW because they need one but I have no intention of actually reaching it.) I do have NRaas Relativity speed set to 25 which allows my sims to take 1/3 less time to accomplish tasks. That way they mostly can shower and eat in the 2 hours before being picked up for work. I also use traveling to work on skills, etc. Although my main sim can be a little bit of a "Mary Sue" I never go so far as to have them max all skills or have them accomplish everything. I usually play a game to try different things so my sims are mostly focused on those things (although I can easily be sidetracked :) ).

@cwaddell I've also been wondering. I play either 3/4/10/14/21/21/17 or 2/4/8/8/23/28/17 (when my sims want to have lots and lots of kids) with no relativity and still, by the time the offspring are a week or two into YA, I'm usually ready move them out and be done. Unless I want a specific LTW for storytelling purposes, I tend to pick easy ones that they complete in their teen years or even childhood. [Side note: I've learned how to trigger the roll of most of the simple LTWs I like, with high accuracy, so I'm not at the mercy of the game.] That way, they can buy the skill-related LTRs when they become available at teenager. And they mostly focus on one skill, or maybe two, which means that they hit level 10 right around their teenage birthdays. Especially with sims climbing the ranks of rabbithole careers, I honestly don't know what else to do with them, and there are a surprising number of hours in the day to fill. I suppose I could make them max new skills just for the heck of it, but that gets repetitive really quickly.
  • Katie_LouKatie_Lou Posts: 29 Member
    Long
    For legacies/personal gameplay, 1 real life year = 2 sim days.

Baby
    0-1yrs - 2 days

Toddler
    2-5yrs - 8 days

Child
    6-13yrs - 16 days

Teen
    14-19yrs - 12 days

YA
    20-45yrs - 52 days

Adult
    46-65yrs - 40 days

Elder
    66-75yrs - 20 days

Total = 150 days

I like relating my sims ages to real life years because when I use NRAAS MC and view the Personal Status of my sim, it gives me their age in sim days, for instance (54) and I can quickly divide that by 2 in my head to get their real life age (27). I find this really helps me decide when I'd like my sims to have children, etc.
    "Language is wine upon the lips." —Virginia Woolf
  • queenproteaqueenprotea Posts: 14 New Member
    Long
    I modify the life stages, but they all generally tend toward long!
    Baby is 2 days
    Toddler is 7 days
    Child is...20 days? It's been forever since I checked the exact numbers for my nightmare lifespan.
    Teen is about 70 days
    YA, Adult, and Elder are all 100+ days

For my longest-played family, this put me in the unique position of the household's children being young adults before the parents even reached full adulthood.
  • emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,116 Member
    Aging is turned off.
    Aging turned off but only because I’m usually doing stories and I can’t have Sims dropping dead who may be needed further into the story. ;)

^Same here :)
    52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg
  • Kay8OrangeKay8Orange Posts: 291 Member
    Long
    gerefteast wrote: »
    Kay8Orange wrote: »
    The normal setting always seemed too short for me. My life stages are adjusted to mimic real life to some extent, along with the seasons and lunar cycle to give my game a more realistic sort of feel. Babies last for 3 days, toddlers for 12, children for 30, teenagers for 28, young adults for 60, adults for 90, and elders for 72 days I believe. The lunar cycle also lasts 6 days and a full year is 96 days, each season being 24 days. The pets' life stages were adjusted as well. Cats last 8 days for their kitten stage, 32 days for their adult age, and 20 days for elder. Dogs are 4/32/12 days and horses are 20/56/44 days. I haven't got to play with these new changes yet though so they may not even stick.

These settings seem really reasonable. I'll try them, maybe with shortening the time for sim elders to 50 days and to 70 days for adults.

That's cool, maybe tell me what you think of the settings? I've just started playing them myself and so far so good, though I've only gotten as far as halfway through spring and the toddler stage for one of my sims born after the settings were changed.
  • funkeeferretfunkeeferret Posts: 415 Member
    Aging is turned off.

This question had me curious about my own game since, like I posted earlier, I always play with aging off. I do not have any mods installed right now, except one to restock my bakery. I decided to figure out what keeps me so busy with my Sims, so I decided to see how many I have in my main town. Without going into my game, I added them up using my charts and many screen shots.

It turns out I created about 50 Sims in CAS over the years, all of which are still living in my game. Then there are 13 townies that I let live ;) and these townies live in actual houses, so I have to maintain them too. In total, that's around 63 Sims to deal with, if I'm not forgetting anyone. I play other worlds with much smaller amounts of Sims, but this is my largest played world.

With all of these Sims having careers and interests, that keeps me busy. But more so, creating stories/dramas for each of them, complete with screen shots, building my own houses or modifying EA houses for them to live in and furnishing/decorating those houses, building my own venues or modifying EA venues for them to enjoy, and just having lots of parties, which I love to do, and adventures, I just don't seem to get bored. I'm attached to so many of my Sims. I can't imagine them aging up and letting them die off. I'd miss them far too much. Some of them have been in my game since 2011 (I did take a 5 year hiatus from Sims, so there's that too).

There are so many ways to play this game. There are many aspects of it I haven't even explored. I don't have time to play every day or even every week. Maybe if I did, I might get bored, I don't know, but I sure have enough to keep me busy for now. :smiley:
  • ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,356 Member
    edited January 2018
    Aging is turned off.

@bklienhart My play is not goal oriented. I'll play with one family for awhile, tweak their houses, clothes, start new relationships, and/or have babies. Then switch to another family (maybe the original family's teen daughter's boyfriend's family) and play them for awhile. I've created a town full of mostly book characters and their ages stay the same. They make friends, live their lives, might try out a new hobby or travel to a new town, but they never ever die and rarely age up! And I never get bored with them.

And then there's the game folder I use for my videos with lots of CC and, as @emorrill says, they can't be aging up or dying on me! I use MasterController to age them up when I need to.

ETA: Oops, that was @Charlottesmom that originally said that!
  • equiiaddictequiiaddict Posts: 24 Member
    Long
    I play with it on Long. I don't want my sims dying off too quickly, but I like that they don't live forever because it makes the game more realistic. Plus it helps with population control in my worlds, lol.
  • Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    Aging is turned off.
    Aging is turned off.

I keep aging turned off until my sim is established in their career, in a relationship and the first baby has been born.

Then

Baby 2
    Toddler 4
    Child 7
    Teenager 14
    Y Adult 28
    Adult 28
    Senior for as long as the game keeps them going.

If I am playing with supes I tend to leave their life stages alone but prolong that of the humans using potions etc.
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member
    Aging is turned off.
    I keep it off and age desired sims up myself. I tend to switch between multiple households and that makes it easier to keep up with everyone how I want.

I'll even list them on paper by order of age so when I think I've progressed everyone along well enough to move on to the next life stage I go in order and age them up. I use a mod to set the number of days I want them at in the life stage but I let that number of days pass by in game before setting it so it feels more legit. :lol:
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • OriginalMaraOriginalMara Posts: 1,669 Member
    Epic
    @Nikkei_Simmer -- Well I guess you've got me beat then! :lol:
  • StutumStutum Posts: 1,146 Member
    Epic
    I have 2 days for babies and toddlers, 8 for children and 12 for teens. The remaining days are equally shared among the adult stages.
  • GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    edited February 2018
    Aging is turned off.
    I've played with aging off ever since the days of TS2. I do age my sims up and allow things to change in my families over the course of time, but I always do it manually with the birthday cake or cheats. I just don't want them to age up before I'm ready for them to. I rarely allow sims in my game to die of old age.
    IHJCfa6.jpg
  • gerefteastgerefteast Posts: 353 Member
    Aging is turned off.
    gerefteast wrote: »
    The normal setting always seemed too short for me. My life stages are adjusted to mimic real life to some extent, along with the seasons and lunar cycle to give my game a more realistic sort of feel. Babies last for 3 days, toddlers for 12, children for 30, teenagers for 28, young adults for 60, adults for 90, and elders for 72 days I believe. The lunar cycle also lasts 6 days and a full year is 96 days, each season being 24 days. The pets' life stages were adjusted as well. Cats last 8 days for their kitten stage, 32 days for their adult age, and 20 days for elder. Dogs are 4/32/12 days and horses are 20/56/44 days. I haven't got to play with these new changes yet though so they may not even stick.

These settings seem really reasonable. I'll try them, maybe with shortening the time for sim elders to 50 days and to 70 days for adults.

That's cool, maybe tell me what you think of the settings? I've just started playing them myself and so far so good, though I've only gotten as far as halfway through spring and the toddler stage for one of my sims born after the settings were changed.

I found the settings a bit too long at last, so I modified them. Babies still last for 3 days, toddlers for 7 or 8 I think, I don't remember how long for other groups. Sorry, I'm so impatient sometimes :neutral: There are no pets in my currently active family, so the settings for dogs, cats and horses are still default. I know, it's kind of chaotic, but I don't remember when I played with aging turned on for the last time :persevere:
    understand the significance of the signatures
  • simmerlyrosesimmerlyrose Posts: 196 Member
    Normal
    I've had such a short attention span lately and have found that playing normal is all I need. I find it long enough to enjoy my Sim, and then they die just when I'm ready to move on to someone else. Personally I don't mind dying Sims. I like to watch the family tree branch out more and more from my original Sim, and I'm too impatient rn to play on anything shorter than normal lifespan.

I do kind of wish the pets lasted longer during the normal lifespan, though. I feel like they die so quickly & that depresses me more than my Sims dying.
    heart_tilt_bullet_by_kicked_in_teeth-dbwilsm.gif