Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

About 3 and a half years into Sims 4, how would you rate it?

Comments

• Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    4/10 for me, presently.

A lot of other posters in this thread just hit the nail on the head, especially @RnM92 . But if I had to summarize very shortly what makes TS4 the weakest entry of the series, its the fact it fails to innovate within the franchise. The very few things it claims to improve upon (such as "greater Sim AI/interaction/multitasking) it simply does not do well.

It's just every release with TS4, every pack, there is always something that is incredibly bothersome. Get to Work features careers, EACH of which are broken in their own way, limited by the base game's faults, or too uninspired/grindy. Get Together is a game pack with a town. City Living is more like City Watching, as the fake backdrops give a better illusion of a city than what you actually can interact with. Cats & Dogs is alright, but I wouldn't pay more than 20 dollars even for that.

Then you move onto the game packs, where they are charging you 20 dollars for things that so easily could have been in expansion packs, making the expansions better worth the price they charge. We were told the teams split so they could pay more attention to detail in these game packs. But then you look at Dine Out, experience the incredibly long all-day affair of eating out due to Sim lag and so on, and the inability to manage restaurants to the degree we should be able to, and it entirely negates all of that.

I don't know. In my honest opinion, I think a new base game should be introduced for reasons other than a means of charging fans 10 dollars to watch their Sim do laundry for a moodlet that doesn't matter, which activates an emotion which does not matter at all.
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    edited January 2018
    I had to go with a rating of 4 we're 3 and a half years in and are still missing so many basics I need. No cars water tools CAW or even a way to edit the worlds babies are still objects and teens have been given nothing unique except being able to be parented.

The expansions are repetitive reusing content over and over such as active careers (mini games) in 3 out of 4 expansions and worlds are being passed off as new content instead of being a place to explore and play with all the new game expanding content that we should be getting. When you have to turn to a $20 game pack to add any resemblance of game play over a $40 expansion which should offer a wide variety and does not something is wrong.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    Simulator4Simulator4 Posts: 652 Member
    I sure hope none of those rating it 5/10 or less are still buying and playing. That's quite sad.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited January 2018
    Dracon wrote: »
    There is a reason EA is called the worst company in America. The Sims 4 is like SimCity (2013 of course), such a utter disappointment, and such an utter mess that is lacking in heart and soul, that I hope one day other studios and developers come up with a worthy competitor to the Sims as Cities: Skyline by Colossal Order did to SimCity. For one, Expansion Packs are all but over glorified stuff packs, with most adding nothing to gameplay, and giving us tiny 'worlds', or should I say towns for a more accurate term, that have cumbersome loading screens. Many things that are in stuff packs should've been included in the base game to begin with or in expansion packs instead of adding on another 10 dollars to do laundry for example. It would've been logical if this was included in the Parenthood Game Pack for example, or in the Pets EP.

I welcomed the massive blacklash that EA received for their Battlefront disaster, in getting the most disliked comment in Reddit history did EA finally do something good in removing transactions for Star Wars, momentarily of course, but I hope that the Sims community continues to purse efficient dialogue and criticism on ways to improve the Sims that EA and maxis understand the frustration that we Simmers have.

That (Worst Company branding) was a few years ago (2012 & 2013), and basically over bad Customer service -
    EA Did respond - and admitted their errors -

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ea-exec-responds-to-worst-company-in-america-contr/1100-6443178/
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    mortiamortia Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited January 2018
    Simulator4 wrote: »
    I sure hope none of those rating it 5/10 or less are still buying and playing. That's quite sad.

Oh, I'm not. Don't you worry your sweet little teddy bear head for a moment. Thanks so much for concerning yourself with the happiness of others ;)
  • Options
    mshadaimshadai Posts: 75 Member
    Overall I'm quiet happy with Sims 4 I have played all sims games.. tho could never get the hang of sims3 .. so Yes YAYY SIMS 4
    "One Day At A Time" - If that seems too long, lets try a hour, minute or second. and remember to Breathe, Pray, Love :D Marg
  • Options
    nayruslove7nayruslove7 Posts: 108 Member
    7/10 bc the aesthetic is great and I feel like the gameplay has been heading in a good direction lately. I feel like there is improvement needed still in areas but I also feel the game feels incomplete without the basic expansions that come with sims normally (seasons, university)

I feel like there a lot of basic aspects missing from the base game that should have been included (burglars, cops etc)

Overall I enjoy the game. I can spend hours in BB and CAS and I enjoy live mode as long as I am storytelling.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Well - I guess your opinion is your opinion. It just isn't mine.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    There is a reason EA is called the worst company in America. The Sims 4 is like SimCity (2013 of course), such a utter disappointment, and such an utter mess that is lacking in heart and soul, that I hope one day other studios and developers come up with a worthy competitor to the Sims as Cities: Skyline by Colossal Order did to SimCity. For one, Expansion Packs are all but over glorified stuff packs, with most adding nothing to gameplay, and giving us tiny 'worlds', or should I say towns for a more accurate term, that have cumbersome loading screens. Many things that are in stuff packs should've been included in the base game to begin with or in expansion packs instead of adding on another 10 dollars to do laundry for example. It would've been logical if this was included in the Parenthood Game Pack for example, or in the Pets EP.

I welcomed the massive blacklash that EA received for their Battlefront disaster, in getting the most disliked comment in Reddit history did EA finally do something good in removing transactions for Star Wars, momentarily of course, but I hope that the Sims community continues to purse efficient dialogue and criticism on ways to improve the Sims that EA and maxis understand the frustration that we Simmers have.

That (Worst Company branding) was a few years ago, and totally over bad Customer service - At least get your dissatisfaction in the proper prospective, truth, and time period. That CEO is gone - keep in mind.

EA Did respond - and admitted their errors - somewhat here:

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ea-exec-responds-to-worst-company-in-america-contr/1100-6443178/

They admitted it was wrong only after they were called out, and then they regressed by trying to continue on with their shady model.

I don't think one needs an official 'branding' to be called the worst company in America, either. And EA's customer service, from what I have seen, has always been praised left and right. Rightfully so. EA has the best customer service of pretty much any gaming company, even over Steam.

However, their business models, development quality, and commitment to their games/fans is absolutely abysmal -- probably the worst I have ever seen. Any hardcore Maxis fan can easily see this, after SimCity and then The Sims 4. We should have gotten far better, even after all these patches they are still trying to add into this game. That, among many other reasons, are why they still are extremely disliked amongst the gaming community.

You do realize who runs that vote is Consumer Reports - keep in mind.

It was done by a company called Consumerist, which was then absorbed into Consumer Reports. Once it was absorbed, that whole arbitrary media attention-seeking worst company contest was put to rest.

While I hope the fact EA won their final two "worst company" contests alerts many consumers, one really does not need that whole fancy show to really see how utterly anti-consumer EA can be. Which is what I was saying -- you can be a terrible company without being featured on a website that is looking for revenue. I think that's evident, judging by the enormous amount of negative feedback amassed on Reddit during the Battlefront 2 debacle, with a thread concerning the matter becoming THE largest downvoted thread on the entire website.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    I guess we are each entitled to our own opinion. Because of the facts - well I will just have to agree to disagree.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options

That (Worst Company branding) was a few years ago, and totally over bad Customer service - At least get your dissatisfaction in the proper prospective, truth, and time period. That CEO is gone - keep in mind.

EA Did respond - and admitted their errors - somewhat here:

They admitted it was wrong only after they were called out, and then they regressed by trying to continue on with their shady model.

I don't think one needs an official 'branding' to be called the worst company in America, either. And EA's customer service, from what I have seen, has always been praised left and right. Rightfully so. EA has the best customer service of pretty much any gaming company, even over Steam.

However, their business models, development quality, and commitment to their games/fans is absolutely abysmal -- probably the worst I have ever seen. Any hardcore Maxis fan can easily see this, after SimCity and then The Sims 4. We should have gotten far better, even after all these patches they are still trying to add into this game. That, among many other reasons, are why they still are extremely disliked amongst the gaming community.

You do realize who runs that vote is Consumer Reports - keep in mind.

It was done by a company called Consumerist, which was then absorbed into Consumer Reports. Once it was absorbed, that whole arbitrary media attention-seeking worst company contest was put to rest.

While I hope the fact EA won their final two "worst company" contests alerts many consumers, one really does not need that whole fancy show to really see how utterly anti-consumer EA can be. Which is what I was saying -- you can be a terrible company without being featured on a website that is looking for revenue. I think that's evident, judging by the enormous amount of negative feedback amassed on Reddit during the Battlefront 2 debacle, with a thread concerning the matter becoming THE largest downvoted thread on the entire website.

https://nypost.com/2017/10/30/consumerist-site-shuts-down-after-alleged-mismanagement/

They are one in the same though - they were a division of CR.

Exactly, that's no different from what I had posted in my last post. It was not always owned by Consumer Reports upon creation, if that's what you are saying.

Either way, and this is just a personal anecdote, their opinion really means little to me. That whole contest was voted by the Internet itself, rather than the company, and I prefer other companies, websites, and Internet personalities when it comes to product reviews.
  • Options
    BlueBlack007BlueBlack007 Posts: 4,480 Member
    Since I am not into writing books, I will keep Mine short, I will give the Sims 4 a 4\10 , because of the fact that Being a Gothic type Player is no fun when you do not have the items you need to play the game you want to play, I have been wanting More Gothic items and clothes and LONGER HAIR EA & Maxis !! , Not short hair or Up - do's like we been getting , I been wanting Bunk Beds as well since day 1, and still no where in sight, Been wanting Long & Medium Length Painted Fingernails, I can not use any CC, so I have to rely on EA or Maxis to add this stuff into the game, so far I have gotten every single pack, just to see what items I could use for My type of game play, and I have to say not much can be used for Gothic spooky type , only a few items from what 2 packs out of how many so far? , to Me it is just lame that I have to try and hunt down items just to try and make My Sims homes unique and Gothic the way I want them, in the Previous games before Sims 4, I had no trouble at all finding what I needed to use for My game play, Maybe that is why I still play those , and not The Sims 4 as much anymore, Until they add in more Gothic type stuff like Witches, or Werewolves, or even Zombies again, I won't be playing this game much, I want Hooded Robes, and Gothic Long Sleeve long dresses and Brooms for My witches to ride on as well, There has been some interesting items and such already added to the game, but most of it has nothing to do with being a Gothic Player like Myself, so Please add more Gothic type stuff, and then I just might want to bother to play My game more, that is how I feel bout it.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited January 2018
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    I feel like TS4 has been a failed experiment. This game...was an mmo first, than it had a story mode, than it became a weak main sims game. It wasn't meant to be a main game and it shows.

The biggest "innovations" of this game are it's biggest flaws. Emotions clearly didn't work out the way they probably planned, I don't even think moodlets were supposed to be a thing since they weren't on the first TS4 gameplay video but they are here and they are a major problem. Multitasking makes sim AI lag, a lot, and it's a wall in development.

The EP's are for the most part decals and decoration objects, with so little features or even none. I still don't understand how a Cats and Dogs only pack doesn't even make dogs and cats more detailed than in previous games a aprt for some "quirky" hidden traits, doesn't make pets roam around every world, doesn't have pet trainer NPC's or actual contests with an NPC and other sim's that can win. And only two pet beds. It's all so.....low end. They have also been recycling the EP and GP content as of late which....just shows how much development they are putting into these packs.

Build mode is a mess. Only basements, pools (I don't even know how a sims game came out without pools) roof types that somehow didn't make it to the base game in time and half walls were added in 3 years. Foundations are a problem, every lot is flat, ponds are objects, only one type of stairs, elevators aren't real, there's a huge lack in wallpapers and floor tiles, no sliding doors, etc. We only got new wall trim types in the vampires GP I believe, so this iteration isn't even expanding on the new features it has.

Sims have no personality in TS4, and they only tried to expand upon them in Parenthood, but you can't set character values in CAS.

They even removed the memory timelines from the game in a patch and added the more simple screenshot viewer because they didn't want to work on a better system, removing the option to manually dictate a memory's emotion. Now it's automatic.

Whims in this game are a joke to behold, they might as well not be there. The aspiration rewards aren't that amazing and the devided aspiration goals instead of just the major one doesn't work. The concept of aspirations and the reason for them to not be changeable in TS2 is because aspirations in TS2 work like a trait (romance aspiration would make your sims keen on cheating and not really care too much if the partner cheated on them, they did not like to get married). They would dictated how your sim reacts to certain events and what he/she wants or fears. On TS4 it's just a boring way to somehow reward the player for completing a bunch of goals.

I still to this day don't understand why you can change a sim's body type and whatever suits you in CAS through the wardrobe. It's way too op and it feels like a feature an RPG would have when you make a mistake on your character. In TS3 you have to pay to get plastic surgery and in TS2 you have to go through an entire career. I don't know why this game is praising on the cheaters. I always feel like I'm going to the Black Emporium into the magic mirror to change my inquisitor when I see the change sim option on a mirror and not even there I 100% agree with the feature.

All the complaining made a T rated game an SJW political delight. No slapping, no shoving, no bumping, no showing off a fist, but we can have all the potty humor we want. No robbers, no meteors, no spontaneous combustion, no death by flies, no death by elevator, and death by emotions has been nerfed to hell.

Overall TS4 feels very much like a children game, it's easy and simple as simple can be, the artstyle looks like a cartoon network show (I guess some people like it, but I'm not living for the plastic hair, playdoh skin and over saturated tonality), animations are too much and unrelatable especially when sims talk, those smiles and arm movement is crazy, and the clipping bothers me a lot, that and sims talking through walls.

However I give it a 4 because it does have some good concepts regarding certain features and it can keep me entertained for some time though it's not as fun as previous games as it tends to get really repetitive really fast.
    A lot of what you write in this post is pretty factual. And pretty sad. One can rate this game with a 10 all they like (which means flawless), the facts in this post simply stand.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    SimsophoniqueSimsophonique Posts: 1,410 Member
    I only enjoy playing with my family, all the rest is boring so 5/10.
    Follow and read Miss V Detective (ts3 story)
    on wordpress: thesimsophonique.wp.com / on dreamwidth: simsophonique.dreamwidth.org
    Follow me on tumblr (sims only)
    simsophonique.tumblr.com (please no triggers I am autistic asperger)
  • Options
    NeverSeemsToEndNeverSeemsToEnd Posts: 292 Member
    edited January 2018
    In my opinion it's a well done game, with a stable system, but it's a boring game, they are focusing much in SP that only give us some items and maybe a new objects with some gameplay, but not really changes the game. It's like playing dolls house but worst, because with real dolls we can actually dress the dolls, brush their hair, the rest it's the same, it's all in our imagination, because the game don't have nothing to surprise us, something that change the course of the game (sims life). Death it's almost impossible in this game, we don't have burglars, for example in apartments when pipes are leaking we shouldn't be able to have water...... It's those little things that could make this game less boring. Maybe now they are starting to understand what simmers really want, content is starting to become better, but not good enough.

I edited just to say one more thing, the time play that my account could possible have, most of the hours counted it's because i fall asslepp with the game open, really i'm not joking, i really fall asslepp playing this game.
    Origin ID: NeverSeemsToEnd
  • Options
    PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    Interesting how based on the replies you would think the majority dislike this game, but based on the poll results, most actually do like it. I guess it's about the vocal minority.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Pegasys wrote: »
    Interesting how based on the replies you would think the majority dislike this game, but based on the poll results, most actually do like it. I guess it's about the vocal minority.
    5-: 52 (10 explained why)
    6+: 56 (10 explained why)

5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    NeverSeemsToEndNeverSeemsToEnd Posts: 292 Member

I play the sims since the first sims game, i love this type of game, i don't really like the sims 4, but we don't have nothing similar, so from times to times i give a chance on the sims 4, but it's useless, i think, perhaps they lost the formula to this franshise be sucessfull. EA, started to become a little paranoid about do more money with less content, and that it's killing the sims, a game that i used to love.
    Origin ID: NeverSeemsToEnd
  • Options
    edited January 2018

Nobody has the numbers of those who like it vs those who do not, but everybody can see that The Sims 4 is the most controversial entries in the main series if they go on any website that focuses on The Sims, gaming, simulation, etc. I have never seen such a large margin between people who like the game and those who just flat out think it was an utter miss.

I think that's telling enough.
  • Options
    BlueBlack007BlueBlack007 Posts: 4,480 Member
    In my opinion it's a well done game, with a stable system, but it's a boring game, they are focusing much in SP that only give us some items and maybe a new objects with some gameplay, but not really changes the game. It's like playing dolls house but worst, because with real dolls we can actually dress the dolls, brush their hair, the rest it's the same, it's all in our imagination, because the game don't have nothing to surprise us, something that change the course of the game (sims life). Death it's almost impossible in this game, we don't have burglars, for example in apartments when pipes are leaking we shouldn't be able to have water...... It's those little things that could make this game less boring. Maybe now they are starting to understand what simmers really want, content is starting to become better, but not good enough.

I edited just to say one more thing, the time play that my account could possible have, most of the hours counted it's because i fall asslepp with the game open, really i'm not joking, i really fall asslepp playing this game.

Wow, and here I thought I was the only one who falls asleep in My chair while playing the Sims 4, thanks for letting Me know I am not the only one, that is why I went back to My other games so I won't fall asleep, :)
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top