Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Does anybody still play The Sims 3?

Comments

• Sonata13SingerSonata13Singer Posts: 183 Member
    I don't even remember what the cell phones looked like before university. I didn't really pay attention.
    3ZWheQM.gif
    Origin ID: Sonata13Singer

I also create music and art (search up Sona13Singer on google... but I haven't been uploading a lot recently)
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    I don't even remember what the cell phones looked like before university. I didn't really pay attention.

latest?cb=20120817145520

It looked like this before :p And in live mode it was a very small black rectangle.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • GrijzePilionGrijzePilion Posts: 588 Member
    Yeah, the icon was a Blackberry-looking thing, and the in-game model was the ugliest Nokia phone you've ever seen. University Life replaces it with something that I suppose vaguely resembles a HTC phone circa 2012. A definite improvement, though there's this nasty bug where the screen is way too big sometimes. And I think they tend to hold it upside down too. And in some EP-specific animations they just use the old phone model instead, but besides that it's a massive improvement.

Into The Future has a "HoloPhone" for Future Sims which is basically the smartphone but it's transparent and it has more futuristic sound effects. I don't know if it has the smartphone functionality if you don't have UL.

The TS4 phone, I always imagine, is two iPhone 6s taped together (for no particular reason), wrapped in a cheap rubber case. It doesn't make any 🐸🐸🐸🐸 sense no matter how you try to explain it.
    Look out for BRIDGEPORT'88!
    (oh, and follow me on my Tumblr)
    i5-6600K • 16GB • 2x GTX 1070 • 2x 500GB 850 EVO
  • BlackSandBlackSand Posts: 2,074 Member
    Yeah, the icon was a Blackberry-looking thing, and the in-game model was the ugliest Nokia phone you've ever seen. University Life replaces it with something that I suppose vaguely resembles a HTC phone circa 2012. A definite improvement, though there's this nasty bug where the screen is way too big sometimes. And I think they tend to hold it upside down too. And in some EP-specific animations they just use the old phone model instead, but besides that it's a massive improvement.

Into The Future has a "HoloPhone" for Future Sims which is basically the smartphone but it's transparent and it has more futuristic sound effects. I don't know if it has the smartphone functionality if you don't have UL.

The TS4 phone, I always imagine, is two iPhone 6s taped together (for no particular reason), wrapped in a cheap rubber case. It doesn't make any plum sense no matter how you try to explain it.

Uh ... It was a two for one special with iPhone 6s ... One for you and one for a friend.
    But ... Since they are playing Sims 4 they have no friends ... So they just glued them together.

I eat pickles on my hamburgers ... MWWAHAHAHAHA
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Nah, you're both wrong. That was EA's idea of what the iPhone 12 will look like. >:)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • BlackSandBlackSand Posts: 2,074 Member
    As backwards-plummed as EA is ... I don't doubt that ... :*

I eat pickles on my hamburgers ... MWWAHAHAHAHA
  • Sindel910Sindel910 Posts: 44 Member
    I love the Sims 3 and still try to go back to it a lot! However, I can't because even though I have a new gaming computer that runs games very well, it still runs the Sims 3 very poorly :(
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    Ermac910 wrote: »
    I love the Sims 3 and still try to go back to it a lot! However, I can't because even though I have a new gaming computer that runs games very well, it still runs the Sims 3 very poorly :(
    V-sync is very important for Sims 3. This needs to be turned on through your video cards control panel.

i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • OGPoohOGPooh Posts: 276 Member

In all honesty, I couldn't get into TS4, so I still play 3. I even go back to Castaway and URBZ on console every once in a while... Just not TS4. Has it gotten better since launch?
  • MagdaleenaMagdaleena Posts: 973 Member
    edited January 2018
    I just got back into TS3 after like, a year of mostly TS4, go figure. Even remade some of my TS4 sims here. Shame that apparently nobody's converted the vampire buckteeth to TS3 though, I really need them.

I came back to TS3 because honestly, there's still so much I haven't done yet? It also doesn't update anymore, so hey, my mods won't break anytime soon either! And, I missed the open world, story progression, 5 trait slots, terrain tools, and CASt. Not to mention MasterController, ahaha.
    Like, this was my first Sims game. It's nice to come back to it.

Everything is also so much more straight-forward here; if I queue up some actions it stays queued that way (unless absent-minded is one of the traits), unlike TS4, which just keeps shuffling and cancelling them like a madman. And sure, the sims may be slightly less expressive here, but at least they're not smiling all the time, non-stop, because the default emotion is somehow "happy" instead of "fine".
    And?? 4 deletes sims from family trees? While I'm trying to build a legacy? RUDE.

Really, the only thing I miss is the vampire system. That's the one big thing TS4 did right.

lil_pixel_boys.png
    they/he
    simblr
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    SimplyJen wrote: »
    V-sync is very important for Sims 3. This needs to be turned on through your video cards control panel.

Unfortunately, in my own experience, vsync does not really help performance all that much.

I do think it's an absolute must when playing TS3, though. I've heard speculation of people having their graphics cards damaged from running TS3 without it, and with graphics cards' pricing being outrageous at the moment due to cryptocurrency mining, it's not even worth taking the chance.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited January 2018
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    SimplyJen wrote: »

Unfortunately, in my own experience, vsync does not really help performance all that much.

I do think it's an absolute must when playing TS3, though. I've heard speculation of people having their graphics cards damaged from running TS3 without it, and with graphics cards' pricing being outrageous at the moment due to cryptocurrency mining, it's not even worth taking the chance.
    It's not just speculation. When a graphics card burns out due to being overworked and there is no fps limiting in place, it can also burn out the system board on which it is installed, thus rendering the computer useless. Unlike more modern games, TS3 has no built-in fps limiter.

Capping the frame rate helps performance. Vsync can be a part of that. Players should be encouraged to post on the TS3 Tech Discussions board if they need assistance getting this to work properly.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,427 Member
    Magdaleena wrote: »
    Everything is also so much more straight-forward here; if I queue up some actions it stays queued that way (unless absent-minded is one of the traits), unlike TS4, which just keeps shuffling and cancelling them like a madman. And sure, the sims may be slightly less expressive here, but at least they're not smiling all the time, non-stop, because the default emotion is somehow "happy" instead of "fine". And?? 4 deletes sims from family trees? While I'm trying to build a legacy? RUDE.

RUDE??? That's a very polite way of terming that bugfest of a culling system. I'd be LIVID if that happened to my Legacy. Try recreating your Legacy on TS3 and play it with MC, you'll find that it runs a lot smoother.

GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • GrijzePilionGrijzePilion Posts: 588 Member
    edited January 2018
    Oof I'm so glad I don't bother with legacies and story progression and whatnot. Sounds like hell. I don't have anymore need to build a family in The Sims than I do in real life so I have to use that in my favour. Doesn't mean my performance is all sunshine and roses though - with great freedom comes a great deal of crap to leave lying around the house and that doesn't do the game performance any favours either.
    Look out for BRIDGEPORT'88!
    (oh, and follow me on my Tumblr)
    i5-6600K • 16GB • 2x GTX 1070 • 2x 500GB 850 EVO
  • MagdaleenaMagdaleena Posts: 973 Member
    Magdaleena wrote: »
    Everything is also so much more straight-forward here; if I queue up some actions it stays queued that way (unless absent-minded is one of the traits), unlike TS4, which just keeps shuffling and cancelling them like a madman. And sure, the sims may be slightly less expressive here, but at least they're not smiling all the time, non-stop, because the default emotion is somehow "happy" instead of "fine". And?? 4 deletes sims from family trees? While I'm trying to build a legacy? RUDE.

RUDE??? That's a very polite way of terming that bugfest of a culling system. I'd be LIVID if that happened to my Legacy. Try recreating your Legacy on TS3 and play it with MC, you'll find that it runs a lot smoother.

So far it has only happened to the sister of my founder, she got removed, and so did the link to the other side of the family D:
    Thankfully I've got the entire family tree saved somewhere else, oh god.

Although, that is an interesting point. about recreating it in TS3. Uh, however, in this case I guess it wouldn't really work?
    Story-wise, my TS4 founder is the sister of my TS3 founder. My TS3 legacy is at gen 5. My TS4 legacy is only at gen 3. And if I had them both in TS3, I'd love to keep them in the same town, haha. But I would have to make it catch up first for that to happen. Then I can just remake the entire family tree and connect them through MC, hopefully.

lil_pixel_boys.png
    they/he
    simblr
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,427 Member
    @Magdaleena, I understand that the setup would probably be a royal pain in the rear. :) It would probably involve Totally Annihilating the town in TS3 and repopulating them with what would be descendants of your TS3 Legacy... :) Since TS4 is in the future (some say it's an alternate timeline) you could conceivably do it like that. :) But it would still result in a lot of work. :)
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • SimpostorSimpostor Posts: 3 New Member
    Played it last night :smiley:

I have almost all of the TS3 expansion packs which add a lot to the game. I only have TS4 base game so it isn't as interesting.
  • Keeleyjayn92Keeleyjayn92 Posts: 1 New Member
    Hey not sure if anyone still comments on this but please add me sims 3
    Name is

Keeleyjayn92

Thank you xx
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I was working on setting up my city hall main floor kitchen in Logan's city hall aka the main library in the center of Logan.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • TinySpaceFoxTinySpaceFox Posts: 1,110 Member
    TS3 is the only Sims game for the computer that I've ever played, been playing since late 2011. But a couple of days ago, I decided to download the Sims 4 48-hour free trial just for fun, to see if I might like the game.

The closed world, the loading screens, they... take some getting used to, to say the least. As someone who really loves to explore worlds freely, let's just say I wasn't impressed. I couldn't stand having to go through a loading screen just to visit my neighbour across the street, then having to go through another loading screen to get back home.

Gameplay-wise, the base game feels a lot more bare-bones than TS3. I think part of the reason there's not much to do is because the neighbourhood is tiny (there were only 5 community lots in the town I moved into). In fact, the most fun I had was watching TV with my Sim - I genuinely found some of the clips to be pretty funny.

I didn't like the emotions system either, it made my Sims roll some pretty ridiculous whims. My Sim, who was new to the neighbourhood and barely knew anyone, immediately got a whim to hug someone when he became happy. I later let him watch the romance channel on TV, and he turned flirty and got a whim to go kiss someone (even though, like I said, he barely knew anyone). I much preferred the wish system in TS3, which was influenced not only by your Sim's current mood (and/or moodlets), but also by their traits, their skills, and their relationships with other Sims.

I'm not gonna lie though, there are some great things about TS4. I really enjoyed the revamped Create-A-Sim, where you could make your Sim look exactly how you wanted just by pushing and pulling different parts of their face and body. In TS3 CAS it's a little more difficult to fine-tune your Sims' appearances if you're not familiar with the sliders. Another thing I kind of liked was the multi-tasking system - my Sim could change from his pyjamas into his everyday wear while working on a painting, without having to cancel the interaction.

But these pros alone weren't enough to convince me to shell out money for TS4. The tiny, closed world and the lack of creative tools (no Create-A-Style) just didn't fit my style of playing. Graphics-wise, I love how colourful the world looks, and while I do like the slightly cartoony look of the Sims, I'd appreciate it a lot more if they wiped that creepy smile off their faces. If you like TS4, that's okay, it's probably more suited to your play style. It's also great that you can find enjoyment in something that I can't; just play what makes you happy, as others have already mentioned. But well, over here, I'll be sticking to the game that better allows me to explore, and express my creativity.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    @TinySpaceFox The pushing and pulling system in CAS doesn’t work like clay, it actually works with sliders, just like in Sims 3. So no, you can’t make sims look exactly like you want.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,356 Member
    On topic: Of course I still play Sims 3. Always will.

Off topic: Do the sliders in Sims 4 have a mod where you can see the exact value of the slider? Like you can in sims 3 with Mastercontroller?
  • Odonata68Odonata68 Posts: 1,076 Member
    edited February 2018
    I think I already posted on this thread a while back, yes still playing. ;)
    As a matter of fact, I just built a cabin for a contest.
    screenshot_original.jpg

@TinySpaceFox I tried out the free trial a couple of months back, too. I agree with most of what you said. I found it boring and CAS and the bright colors couldn't save it because they were not all that impressive, to me, anyway.
  • SapientsimsolidSapientsimsolid Posts: 3,169 Member

yes, one of my Sim just had a forbidden fruit baby

29ynvuo.jpg

fx9pis.jpg

And yesterday he almost got squashed by a meteor

n2lfmb.jpg
  • thevogelthevogel Posts: 753 Member
    faytheful wrote: »
    yes, one of my Sim just had a forbidden fruit baby

My Sim keeps wanting to grow Forbidden Fruit. I was wondering what that was. So it's an actual sims baby???? Do these start out as Seeds?