Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Fringe

Comments

• Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,753 Member
    Does anyone know of warm meals (besides soup/chilli) that Dad and I can make which doesn't involve cutting sweet potatoes/pergoies/potato wedges on the plate after supper is served?
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    how is everyone??
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    MadameLee wrote: »
    how is everyone??

I'm great! How are you? It's chilly here today!
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    CathyTea wrote: »
    how is everyone??

I'm great! How are you? It's chilly here today!

Hi @CathyTea

I'm in a really,really, really, really, really 🐸🐸🐸🐸.p.y mood. Mom told me earlier today (like around 12:30) that we would do the laundry later but when I checked on her around 2 she changed her mind because her arm hurts. Since Dad's couldn't find any good "Cheap" Asian stuff this week it means I'm stuck doing yet another salad tonight (that is if I hadn't said I rather just go out and eat somewhere else so I can have a bloody night off from making salad/Dad's cooking) since I used up all but 2 of my salad recipes and one of the salad recipes Dad doesn't like very much and I'm craving Asian food because we haven't had it since the night before Mom broke her wrist. I just want to do something with the laundry like folding it up..just to make me feel better but I can't unless Mom's up here and she's been napping on the family room couch since 2pm (it's 4 now). Also Dad barley knows any recipes which aren't the same old stuff (Sausage/chicken/well we haven't had fish in awhile I noticed+ pergoies/potato wedges/sweet potatoes + corn/peas/carrots.). Since I don't have a social worker (for lack of a better term) I don't have anyone to contact to deal with this issue.

I already was really,really, really,really, really sick and tired of making salad BEFORE Mom broke her wrist. No wonder Mom was so grumpy all the time when she had to do all the work.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    @MadameLee I'm sorry to hear you're feeling grumpy about all those things!

I guess it's part of human nature to feel grumpy when we don't get to do things our way.

Since this is such a common human situation, there are lots of techniques for turning our thoughts and responses around. I'm not sure if you're interested in them, but if you are, I'd be happy to share some of the ones that work for me.

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    @MadameLee I'm sorry to hear you're feeling grumpy about all those things!

I guess it's part of human nature to feel grumpy when we don't get to do things our way.

Since this is such a common human situation, there are lots of techniques for turning our thoughts and responses around. I'm not sure if you're interested in them, but if you are, I'd be happy to share some of the ones that work for me.

It just we normally have Asian stuff once (sometimes twice if it's the cheap crap) a week but because of Mom's hand and since Dad couldn't find any good sales(?) on Asian stuff..I have to do the salad another additional day and I was already getting sick of making salad 4 days out of the 5 weekdays before Mom hurt her hand. It's Greek salad and everyone puts on their own dressing. I decided that with the leftover sausage that we will probably have tonight-trying to make something Asian on Tuesday. Just so I can get something I want. Heck I wouldn't even mind Domino's pizza or KFC just so I didn't have to make a salad.

I'm wouldn't mind at least seeing some techniques others might use.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    @MadameLee

So here are a few different techniques and approaches:

First, one might see if there are options that will work for everyone involved. Usually, this involves talking with the other people, in a relaxed manner, with a focus on finding solutions that work for everyone. A conversation might go like this, "I'd like a break from making salad for a day or two. Can we find something else I can make instead?"

"Sure! Let's live dangerously and skip salad for a night!"

or...

"How about peas?" (or broccoli, or kale, or coleslaw... whatever...)

Then, if it looks like no alternative can be found, and that you're stuck with a situation that you don't want, then, it's time for a shift in attitude.

What can happen is that the mind gets stuck in a cycle of complaining or feeling sorry for oneself, or just not being happy, and the same unhappy, griping thoughts cycle around and around, driving themselves deeper into the mind-circuits, leading to unhappiness. This is very much a part of how human's brains work, and there's even probably an evolutionary reason for it--but it the evolutionary purpose is no longer relevant, so it makes sense to find ways to escape those cycles.

Here are some techniques I've used to stop the cycle of feeling unsatisfied or unhappy with a situation:

1) Stop the thinking by refocusing on an activity. Anything that takes your attention and breaks the cycle of unhappy thoughts can work. Video games--especially engrossing ones or pattern or strategy ones--are great! I find that the Lumosity brain games work well, and Sims works well, too! Writing, editing screenshots, reading a novel that takes all your attention, exercise, playing music, dancing--any of these can work! Any activity done with full attention and mindfulness can break the cycle of thinking that's keeping the unhappy feelings going on.

2) Practice gratitude. Focusing on what I'm thankful for nearly always puts my complaints in perspective. For example, you have two hands and can make a salad! You have food, a warm home, parents who care. Your mom only sprained her wrist, rather than breaking any bones. There's so much to be thankful for! Gratitude is a great way to shift the focus from what's lacking to what you have.

3) Accept that the situation isn't what you want, and that not getting what you want is causing suffering. This is part of life, and it is something that everyone experiences. So, in a way, feeling like this can connect you to others! It also offers an opportunity to learn and practice different responses, which is really something quite wonderful!

4) Let go of expecting a specific outcome and investigate what might happen instead! This is something I practice when things happen like my car breaking down. Last year, when my car broke down, I ended up getting a really fun afternoon with a long walk in a beautiful part of town while my car was at the shop--and if that hadn't happened, I would have spent the day working really hard at the office, during a time when I very much needed a break! Letting go of control and seeing what's there in the situation can often bring unexpected gifts!

• Options
    edited January 2018
    @CathyTea I'm currently on Dad's laptop (my old laptop) going to look up some Asian skillet recipes on site I got Friday's supper from. Good thing I bookmarked those recipes on my main computer. Since I'm thinking of using Dad's leftover sausage in the Asian dish onto of either rice or noodles either on Tuesday or Wednesday. After supper I will work on the chapter I started writing last night-the "Not Always Skits". I'm thinking of turning Jane's second dream into a spinoff series.

As much as I would like to have us skip a salad..we wouldn't get enough veggies (only peas/corns/carrots) if I didn't make a salad. I think because of this..I will 100% deserve a O.C. trip in the mid spring early June.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    @CathyTea I'm currently on Dad's laptop (my old laptop) going to look up some Asian skillet recipes on site I got Friday's supper from. Good thing I bookmarked those recipes on my main computer. Since I'm thinking of using Dad's leftover sausage in the Asian dish onto of either rice or noodles either on Tuesday or Wednesday. After supper I will work on the chapter I started writing last night-the "Not Always Skits". I'm thinking of turning Jane's second dream into a spinoff series.

As much as I would like to have us skip a salad..we wouldn't get enough veggies (only peas/corns/carrots) if I didn't make a salad. I think because of this..I will 100% deserve a O.C. trip in the mid spring early June.

Sounds like you've found some really good options, plus you're thinking of a future treat, which always makes it a little easier to face a time when one's got to give up immediate wants! :)

• Options

Sounds like you've found some really good options, plus you're thinking of a future treat, which always makes it a little easier to face a time when one's got to give up immediate wants! :)

But I would have to convince my parents about the O.C trip in late spring/early June.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    @CathyTea now I have the issue is that I really want my full container of fruit since I'm sick and tired of Sunday fruit (not enought fruit 7 grapes, an apple and half a banana) I know Mom's in pain from her surgery yesterday. I can't describe what a "full container or bowl" of fruit is

7 grapes (cut in half if they big ones with seeds)
    1 of these cut-off pineapples:
    TfFJhaV.jpg

1 half of a cantolupe Ridge(?)
    hdJow4b.jpg

half an Asian Pear
    5WU8dQy.jpg

half an apple

PLUS half a banana.

I haven't had a full bowl of fruit since Tuesday..and I don't want another day of "Sunday Fruit" (with or without pear)
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    @CathyTea now I have the issue is that I really want my full container of fruit since I'm sick and tired of Sunday fruit (not enought fruit 7 grapes, an apple and half a banana) I know Mom's in pain from her surgery yesterday. I can't describe what a "full container or bowl" of fruit is

Makes you appreciate how lucky you are most days to be able to get a full bowl of fruit! That's awesome!

Hope your mom's surgery went OK. Was it for her wrist?

• Options
    edited January 2018

Makes you appreciate how lucky you are most days to be able to get a full bowl of fruit! That's awesome!

@CathyTea Yeah for her wrist-but she didn't get into sugery until 3:45pm and they insisted she got to the hosptial between noon and 1. so she will have a scar on her wrist like she has on one of her ankles from 2007. It just what am I going to do about fruit tomorrow because I'm already am sick and tired of Sunday fruit 2 days this week that ain't Sundays. the best part of the fruit is the cantaloupe and I haven't had any cantaloupe since Tuesday (the last day I had a full bowl of fruit). Since If I have to have less "Sunday fruit" (3 quarters of a apple and half a pear and grapes and half a banana) then I normally do.. I rather skip Sunday's fruit entirely on freaking Sunday because I'm already sick of "Sunday fruit" already.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options

Yeah for her wrist so she will have a scar on her wrist like she has on one of her ankles from 2007. It just what am I going to do about fruit tomorrow because I'm already am sick and tired of Sunday fruit 2 days this week that ain't Sundays. the best part of the fruit is the cantaloupe and I haven't had any cantaloupe since Tuesday (the last day I had a full bowl of fruit). Since If I have to have less "Sunday fruit" (3 quarters of a apple and half a pear and grapes and half a banana) then I normally do.. I rather skip Sunday's fruit entirely on freaking Sunday because I'm already sick of "Sunday fruit" already.

An easy (ish) way to cut cantaloupe is to slice it in half and then just use a spoon to eat the flesh. Not too much cutting is needed. If scooping with the spoon isn't really an option, you can cut it in half and then slice it and eat it with your mouth!

• Options

Yeah for her wrist so she will have a scar on her wrist like she has on one of her ankles from 2007. It just what am I going to do about fruit tomorrow because I'm already am sick and tired of Sunday fruit 2 days this week that ain't Sundays. the best part of the fruit is the cantaloupe and I haven't had any cantaloupe since Tuesday (the last day I had a full bowl of fruit). Since If I have to have less "Sunday fruit" (3 quarters of a apple and half a pear and grapes and half a banana) then I normally do.. I rather skip Sunday's fruit entirely on freaking Sunday because I'm already sick of "Sunday fruit" already.

An easy (ish) way to cut cantaloupe is to slice it in half and then just use a spoon to eat the flesh. Not too much cutting is needed. If scooping with the spoon isn't really an option, you can cut it in half and then slice it and eat it with your mouth!

the scooping part is already done. But thing is I'm going to WORK tomorrow (that I would normally do on Wednesday) so the fruit needs to be prepared tonight-which means all the stuff (grapes/cantaloupe/half a Asian pear and 3 quarters of an apple) need to be placed in a container for morning. But Mom's in so much pain at the moment the only thing she (currently) wants to eat in the morning is 1/4 of an apple half a pear and some grapes.. It just I rather have no fruit at all in the morning (either or I have 0 fruit on Sunday instead) if I can't have cantaloupe and pineapple (they're going to bloody waste in the fridge downstairs). I don't even know what 3 quarters of an apple is?
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    @MadameLee That fruit looks amazing!
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    MegglesMeggles Posts: 4,109 Member
    @MadameLee That fruit looks amazing!

@AdamsEve1231 I agree! I love fruit! mmmmmmm! Now I want a nice ripe cantaloupe! :love:
    Gifs are broken but click here for my blog with all my stories :)
    House: Hufflepuff | Wand: Ebony wood w/a unicorn hair core, 9 ¾"
    Origin ID: meggles87 | twitter | simblr
  • Options
    elifdapetonelifdapeton Posts: 217 Member
    I felt really bad that I almost didn't read the stories of the one who read my stories.
    I guess most of the stories I read don't read mine and most of the stories of the people who read my stories, isn't really the one that is appealing to me.
    peoples%2Blegacy.gif
    Peoples Legacy
    | Legacy Challenge Story. 18+
  • Options
    I felt really bad that I almost didn't read the stories of the one who read my stories.
    I guess most of the stories I read don't read mine and most of the stories of the people who read my stories, isn't really the one that is appealing to me.

@elifdapeton Hi, Elif! That's OK that you don't read my stories! :) It's up to every reader to pick and choose the stories that most interest him or her. There's no obligation to read someone just because they read your work. When it happens, it's lovely, but it's not required!

I really enjoy reading your story--I find it fun, funny, and interesting! So reading it is worthwhile in and of itself!

• Options
    elifdapetonelifdapeton Posts: 217 Member
    @CathyTea I'm glad you like my story. You're so nice. It's just made me feel bad that I get amazing comments and I didn't read back. Especially on how this community was built by reading each other's story.
    peoples%2Blegacy.gif
    Peoples Legacy
    | Legacy Challenge Story. 18+
  • Options
    candycottonchucandycottonchu Posts: 906 Member
    Hi all! I just found this thread and find the idea so nice.

@MadameLee
    sorry to hear that you have trouble.. I don't really know about asian recipes... but when my husband and me are too lazy to cook, we usually cut some potatoes, and whatever other veggies we have left like bellpepper, fennel, broccoli, onions, carrots etc., put it on a baking sheet, sprinkle a bit of oil, pepper, salt and paprika powder and throw it in the oven. Sorry it involves cutting, but it's quite fast and delicious.

@CathyTea
    I didn't expect to see life advice here! You seem to be a very kind person.
    It is really nice to see people that take their time to help others.

@elifdapeton
    I can see that it makes you feel bad to not read the stories of people that enjoy yours. But I also think noone should feel obliged to follow back, it takes all the fun of it and kinda makes it a chore, no? If you don't like a story, there will be another person that actually loves it. And there are also people that maybe don't like yours, but you enjoy theirs. (TBH I didn't read any of yours yet - but I'll give it a try!)
    I think the most important after all is, that you write because you like to write, and not because of readers.
  • Options
    Hi all! I just found this thread and find the idea so nice.

Hi, @candycottonchu ! I'm so glad you found this thread and the Book Club! And I'm SO glad you're joining in with Book Club! You chose the perfect week, since it's our first Tasty Read week, which means it's a short selection by an awesome writer! (And this particular writer is one of my personal favorites! :) )

So, welcome! I'm really happy you're here! If you write, please be sure to share your stories with us!

• Options
    simscognitosimscognito Posts: 16,599 Member
    Hi guys I've been lurking here for a long time, silently. I know, me being silent, but it's true. I've actually, weirdly enough, have felt a bit nervous about talking here. Don't know why, it's illogical... *heavy sigh*

Hi @candycottonchu ! I think we've met over in my art thread, and probably in the writers lounge too. I'm really glad you're here. You seem like a really nice person. I agree, not all stories are everyone's cup of tea. I don't really like the Great Gatsby, but I know it's a good story. It just didn't click with me. Neither am I particularly fond of Jane Eyre. However, I know people who aren't overly fond of Beckett (playwright) but I find his plays very interesting.

@CathyTea Hello again. Yes, I have to say I am really enjoying this tasty read - such as a fascinating tale. I think it's a great idea to split the weeks up with shorter readings, especially because it gives me a chance to catch up with the longer reads. :D Yes, I'm a slow reader. Well, not exactly, I can be fast if I want to be, but then I wouldn't enjoy it quite as much.
    I have to say, you come up with the best ideas for threads -they're all very thoughtful.

Anyway, that's me for now. Hope everyone's having a good week. :)
  • Options
    ny275ny275 Posts: 261 Member
    Hi everyone! It's been a while since I've been here. I hope everyone is doing okay. :)

@simscognito Welcome! I'm glad you found the courage to speak up. I understand what you mean about feeling nervous to post. It sometimes happens to me. :D

--

I've been in a creative season recently-- I have a million different ideas flying around my head. This is great for my work projects which deal heavily with writing and music. It's also great for my hobbies which happen to be writing and music. There is a huge sims project that I've been developing for a couple of years that I really want to do! (It's a twisted "romance" that is so fun (and heartbreaking) to write and stretches me as a writer!) Inevitably, the energy will die down in about 10 chapters or I'll get stuck (as I did last time). :D To remedy, I've been handwriting the story and fleshing out the characters before typing it. This has been an incredibly rewarding process for me and actually how I've been handling this particular story since it's conception. I type very quickly and sometimes when I'm writing something new directly on my laptop... I run out of words because my fingers have caught up with my brain! Whereas when I handwrite, I have more time to think about what comes next and what will fit.

Anyway, I said all of that to ask a question. Do any of you handwrite for simlit? Do you handwrite any of your writing? When you're in a particularly creative season, how do you manage your creativity?

I've found that I often start projects during times like these and then when life gets busy, they sit on my computer, untouched. Then, when I have time or creativity, I come back to them refreshed and excited to work again!
  • Options
    simscognitosimscognito Posts: 16,599 Member
    edited January 2018
    @ny275 I know what you mean with handwriting simLit. It is very rewarding. I find that it helps slow my mind down and focus on the scenes 'in the moment.' Your story sounds very exciting. I love heartbreaking things, although I am terrible at writing romance (well, in my mind I am - we'll see about the reality in my next chapter this Saturday :D ).
    Gosh is it huge? Is this going to be an epic heartbreaking twisted romance? Now I'm really excited. Although I'm not a massive fan of romance, I do love epic things, because of the interwoven plots that often come with them. Are you going to weave music in it as well?

As for managing creativity, I think what I do is keep a book where I add in scenes that come to my mind. Then, when I don't feel really creative, I go back to that book and flick through my scenes, either edit some, or if I find that a particular scene could fit into the next chapter, I add it in and edit from there.