Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Renovacy Challenge - a new (and short!) challenge.

Comments

• fleshjennfleshjenn Posts: 4,919 Member
    Thank you Mmdrgntobldrgn. lol, I already downloaded the railway one. I spent 2 hours trying to make it kid safe, and get them some basic necessities. it was great to get lost in the game again.
  • MmdrgntobldrgnMmdrgntobldrgn Posts: 6,680 Member
    Here's an update of how far I've gotten with the renovation.
    http://mamadragonssims.weebly.com/mama-dragons-sims/orphanage-part-3
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Exploring life through imagination & satire since 1969.
    Save Game Often
    repair & clear caches Often
    S3 Studio
    S3 blog Story, lists of empty lots by world
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes
  • cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    edited January 2018
    I'm looking forward to seeing your take on the old railway @fleshjenn.

I enjoyed catching up on your orphanage @Mmdrgntobldrgn!

Hm, I just noticed I didn't leave a link directly to Luke's challenge. It's here:
    https://2sim3.wordpress.com/other/ll
  • SamelaRitaSamelaRita Posts: 1,007 Member
    More questions, lol

I always think of more after the fact. :)

If we're using an empty world, does a school have to go in right away or can we 'homeschool' the simlets either with a mod or by having them skill build?

Doesn't impact the orphanage which is about half way remodeled to what I want, but will affect my next remodel ideas.

Yes, you can home-school - the goal is to be an A student, but how you get there is up to you.
    CC and patterns in things are a total accident, as I was trying to make everything cc free for people who don't want it.
    fleshjenn wrote: »
    Love the back story on the train station. thinking of trying it. I just wondered if all your downloads were CC free?
    I don't have some of the EPs and not sure how that would effect the lot when it loads. I also currently only have the Worlds installed, so need to add store items back in before I try and load the lot.

When I can find out how to find out what the rogue elements are (and when I've got time! Always the problem!) I'll edit them and put up clean versions. Sorry about that - I was actually trying to build them alll clean as I know some people don't like cc - took me ages to use any, and I tend to stick to only two or three people: Sandy at ATS3, Cyclonesue at TSR are the main ones.
    I use custard found at MTS, to check files before installing.

There's supposed to be a way to clean files with custard, but I've never had them work proper after. I think it's a user error on my part. ;)
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Save Game Often
    S3 Studio
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes
    As promised my final notes and pictures are up from the orphanage renovation. Not sure if I met all of the goals but I'm good with my final results.

http://mamadragonssims.weebly.com/mama-dragons-sims/orphanage-renovation-finale
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Save Game Often
    S3 Studio
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes
    edited January 2018
    I'm taking on the Newton-Brown's next, no formal story - but will blog notes & pic's again.

Not sure if they're supposed to start out with 5,709 so it's all going to charity, or most of it is anyway.

Besides these rules from the blog, what additional goals such as friendship levels, rooms and so on, do I need to keep in mind.
    Rules:
    Kathy can’t have a job – she has to look after Olivia. She can get a baby sitter occasionally though, if she can afford it.
    The children can’t get jobs, because they’re too young, but they can fish, collect things – anything like that to help earn money.
    They need to be A grade students as fast as possible, and stay there.
    Your goal is to transform their living accommodation into a proper home.
    You can’t sell the wallpaper or flooring – you have to paper over it.
    You can dumpster dive, root through junkyards and so on for anything you can find.
    Also because eventually I'm going to get a story line going for the Stones & the railway legacy I need to know how attached you are to them. Sometimes my story's go to adult subjects and the dark side of life. (aka mature audience ratings)
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Save Game Often
    S3 Studio
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes
    I'm taking on the Newton-Brown's next, no formal story - but will blog notes & pic's again.

Not sure if they're supposed to start out with 5,709 so it's all going to charity, or most of it is anyway.

Besides these rules from the blog, what additional goals such as friendship levels, rooms and so on, do I need to keep in mind.
    Rules:
    Kathy can’t have a job – she has to look after Olivia. She can get a baby sitter occasionally though, if she can afford it.
    The children can’t get jobs, because they’re too young, but they can fish, collect things – anything like that to help earn money.
    They need to be A grade students as fast as possible, and stay there.
    Your goal is to transform their living accommodation into a proper home.
    You can’t sell the wallpaper or flooring – you have to paper over it.
    You can dumpster dive, root through junkyards and so on for anything you can find.
    Also because eventually I'm going to get a story line going for the Stones & the railway legacy I need to know how attached you are to them. Sometimes my story's go to adult subjects and the dark side of life. (aka mature audience ratings)

You can do what you like with the Stone family - the ones I'm really attached to, I don't put up on the exchange. They're usually in my stories though. The renovacies are there for people to play with!
    The Newton-Browns are a bit different, because of the site shape, but basically you're aiming for friendships with everyone, rooms with furniture as per the usual rules (but hey, this is meant to be fun, so bend the rules a bit if it makes the playing more engrossing).
    No, they're not supposed to have that much money! Don't know how that happened...
    edited January 2018
    I chose Riverview across from the fishery. That way the kids could fish without going too far. I don't usually play with big families so it has been really hard to keep everyone happy and fed. I got real into playing and forgot to take many pics. I tried to clean up the lot but keep the railway theme. once they have more funds they will build a second level to give more room to the family.

Post edited by fleshjenn on
    @fleshjenn - Just in case you don't know, Photobucket isn't used anymore to link pictures to the forum. You can still link to your album on Photobucket; but unless you pay a lot of money to Photobucket, the pictures won't show up here. We've all switched to other image hosts.

I'm still working on the old barn renovation, but I'll fulfilled all the requirements now for the rooms and have redone the outside.
    https://2sim3.wordpress.com/other/ll/barn

I have a few more days of play before the twins become teens and Tom becomes a young adult.

• ADWilsonADWilson Posts: 6,755 Member
    Been lurking/peeking and enjoying seeing what SimFriends have been up to!

Thank YOU for creating these interesting challenges, @SamelaRita :)
    @ciane ~ As always, your stories are a quick, fun read.
    @Mmdrgntobldrgn ~ Am also a fan of your version.
    @fleshjenn ~ Hoping you're continuing to enjoy being "lost in game" ... I know I am!

Began playing the McPhail family yesterday thinking that I'd start with an easier challenge.
    Bwa ha ha ... that's a big ol' nope.
    Won't spoil the surprise for those wishing to play this one even though I think y'all can guess what it is.
    Haven't decided on whether I'll turn it into a story or just keep it fun, but I couldn't continue playing without stopping in and saying Hello & Thanks!!!
    Oh, that's a great one to start with, @ADWilson! And, I'm very glad to see so many friends joining in the fun here!
    This week I learned that it is possible to put mod's in wrong if not careful. Lesson learned, pay attention to all notes related to the mods before adding them to the game.

I've played the first week with the Newton-Brown household. I've also managed to accidentally rearrange the pages on my weebly blog so that the build tips & tricks plus the new page specifically for the renovation challenges are mouse over drop downs under the main page. No clue how but I'm good with it. :)

Week one with the new challenge.
    http://mamadragonssims.weebly.com/renovation-challenges
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Save Game Often
    S3 Studio
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes
    @ciane thanks for all the useful advice. yeah I have been out for awhile just realizing photobucket is not going to work. can you recommend a site for me?

@ADWilson yeah, I just added chickens, the milking station and grampas grove to the town. when they wake up saturaday the now teen and 2 of the adults are going to go "work" at the grove harvesting. some they will keep to eat and the rest to sell. I haven't been sending them out collecting because it seemed a little too easy the first time. they lucked into a massive space rock and a rare flower and had almost 2k. I'm trying to let them move up slowly.

@Mmdrgntobldrgn sorry about your game trouble. but you got a great start there. and you really peeked my interest in the dragons. lol I maybe getting myself a early birthday present to check them out.
    @fleshjenn - tinypic, imgur, flickr, and wordpress, which I also use for blogging (all .com)

fleshjenn there's also Weebly, which takes getting used to, what makes it nice is there is no media limit, on the flip side there's no media storage at all.
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Save Game Often
    S3 Studio
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes
    Hello again :)

Perhaps others have answered this question, but for some reason I haven't noticed what's been done in their stories. The renovating rules (Kitchen) mentions a bench accessory. What is this? Any help explaining this would be much appreciated. :smiley:
    edited January 2018
    @ADWilson + I took it to mean an extra wall-hanging shelf or kitchen clutter, such as pots and pans, coffee cups, or shelves with dishes on them.

The twins grew up and learned to drive: https://2sim3.wordpress.com/other/ll/cars
    Post edited by ciane on
    ciane wrote: »
    @ADWilson + I took it to mean an extra wall-hanging shelf or kitchen clutter, such as pots and pans, coffee cups, or shelves with dishes on them.

Thanks @ciane :)
    I was wondering if @SamelaRita meant decor and it seems like you did too. Thanks for replying so quickly!
    edited January 2018
    Which could also be a small kitchen appliance, guess what the orphanage has none of in my renovation, although I did give them both a dishwasher and trash compactor. Ooops! I think I missed more than I got right with the Orphanage, but like I said in my wrap up notes, since it was going to continue on as an orphanage I was aiming to keep expenses down for long term.

Ps, I tried to make as many plumbing & appliances self cleaning or better performance as I could. Although I think I did don't break on their cheap computer.
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Save Game Often
    S3 Studio
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes
    ADWilson wrote: »
    ciane wrote: »

Thanks @ciane :)
    I was wondering if @SamelaRita meant decor and it seems like you did too. Thanks for replying so quickly!

Totally what I meant! You're both spot on!
    lol this game! I had to take a brief rest from the Railway house. while the youngest 2 were aging up the front suddenly caught fire. I was trying to get the adults to move out of the way and stop freaking out but I kept getting pop ups to pick traits. it was chaos, trying to get them all in beds after the fire was out. thankfully they didn't lose much. their moods have been so bad I cant get them to collect or harvest much at a time.
    Wow, @fleshjenn, that sounds like quite the experience! I would have been frazzled.
    That's never happened to me, @fleshjenn but it sounds pretty hectic! Ciane had the grandfather catch fire on her though, while he was inventing - there's a great picture of him running to the shower with his trousers on fire! It's in this chapter, in case you haven't seen it. https://2sim3.wordpress.com/other/trainstn/wkend/ Hope you had a good weekend despite the strain of the game ;)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top