Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Baby stuff/Stop labelling the first life stage as an object

Sims 4 babies need to be treated as a real life stage and not an object, unlock them from their bassinets and allow the parents/siblings to carry them around the house and recreate all the old animations we had in sims 2/sims 3.

I'm not saying it will be easy because it won't and plenty will argue it's such a short lived life stage that there's no real point to doing so because it won't bring anything to the simmers table, however, as a simmer myself, I feel all life stages should have some reason to them and should be experienced as sims has always been a game about playing god and building a person from the ground up, it's why we loved the older generations and had/have hope for sims 4.

It's a small addition to have but while we wait for story progression to be introduced, it would be nice to see our sims actually be able to walk around the house with their baby and not be tied to the bassinet.

Watch them walk around, get bottles from the fridge, sit on the sofa and watch TV as the baby sleeps, interact with them like they used to, bring back pretend throwing them in the air and have the baby be able to puke on them, gross but it's why sims has always been hilarious.

Give us new crib options, similar to those from sims 2/sims 3, make them differ in price and design, add them for toddlers too because not every toddler has a bed, some parents can't afford one and or for safety keep them in a crib until they're a little older. Give back some of the realism that came with sims.

I'm personally at a point where I will happily pay/vote for a stuff pack to be released, similar to the toddler stuff pack only for babies this time, because I am so utterly fed up of starting a new family and having this living clutter (Similar to beds) in this cheap looking bassinet hanging around until I get sick of looking at it enough to age them to a toddler and can delete it.
As a simmer whose been playing since they were 7 years old (My dad first bought me sims 1 and 2), there shouldn't be a point where you're so sick of something you just want it gone as soon as it arrives. Yes I know plenty of games have that affect on players but with sims it's upsetting because this game used to be so good.

All I'm asking is, if possible, Babies are unlocked and we get more interactions and abilities which enhance generation stories and parenting for sims.
I know it will take time, money, effort and a lot of code writing, but I'm happy to wait if it means we get a little closer to story progression.

By making this i know I'm putting myself in a large firing line of simmers who know there's a lot more that needs to be done to sims 4 and there's better things which need improvement, which is why I'm saying this is a personal opinion from someone whose played the game for a very long time, I'm a realism simmer and as annoying as it can be asking for things that don't seem or aren't at all important, but for me, it's a part of a gaming experience I've had since I was little and to see parts missing from that is upsetting as it is angering.

As mentioned in previous posts, my sim recently had alien twins and it's sad he never got those sleepless nights walking around the house trying to calm them down, he never got to sit down and watch TV or pass out on the sofa after a long night of bottle feeding and singing to them. He just spent days standing by a cheap crib changing and bottle feeding them. No real parental animations whatsoever.

Going to end this before I find more reasons to rant. Have a nice day and leave your own feedback on what you think of this.

Comments

• elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    Whilst I agree, they should have done something with babies to unlock them from being objects, I think it will not happen for the following reasons:

* Not enough outcry from the sims fans
    * Not enough recuperation, ie it's too much work for what they would get in return
    * It's too late in the day to be considering such changes

Going by the usual time-scales for a sims edition, I would say we have a year left at most before sims 4 is ditched. Perhaps we should be putting pressure on to ensure the sims 5 turns out a whole heap more detailed and inclusive than sims 4 did.
  • GodleyjeansGodleyjeans Posts: 336 Member
    Whilst I agree, they should have done something with babies to unlock them from being objects, I think it will not happen for the following reasons:

* Not enough recuperation, ie it's too much work for what they would get in return

Going by the usual time-scales for a sims edition, I would say we have a year left at most before sims 4 is ditched. Perhaps we should be putting pressure on to ensure the sims 5 turns out a whole heap more detailed and inclusive than sims 4 did.

I agree, it is no doubt too late to see this change be made, logically it’s obvious, but there’s no hurt in trying because miracles happen, or in terms to EA, desperation to please fans happens.

I souly hope they don’t can sims 4 too soon to deliver sims 5, if there’s even one to be created.

Maybe this is me being overly cautious but if I were the EA board I would can any plans to create sims 5 until they sorted out sims 4. Sims 3 went out on a buggy high but we did and still do have a good deal of content, people always talk about going back to the sims 3 because it was better and to create sims 5 with sims 3 being the best of the best is financially a poor and frankly risky decision. It’s saying poor judgement was made to such an extent that a game which came out almost ten years ago is better than the most recent releases.

If EA has sims 5 in their pocket then I can safely say the sims series will not survive, they haven’t learnt dealing with simmers and the sims 4 disaster, and how they deal with it now will show what lies in wait for the next generation of sims games.

Personally, and these are just my thoughts on the matter, they’d be smarter to put sims 5 on hold, repair some of the damage which lies within sims 4 and then move on to sims 5 once fans feedback was more positive. Not entirely but somewhat, releasing all these game packs and stuff packs are just bandages covering the holes in this sinking ship.
    It’s going to boarder titanic unless they act now.
    And we all saw that movie

• GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    edited January 2018
    #FreeTheBabies If I wanted object babies I would have only played The Sims. lol But I agree. I think it's to late in the game for us to get real babies. Here's to hoping to Sims 5, and it being the Sims game we had expected with Sims 4.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    #FreeTheBabies If I wanted object babies I would have only played The Sims. lol But I agree. I think it's to late in the game for us to get real babies. Here's to hoping to Sims 5, and it being the Sims game we had expected with Sims 4.

well we really don't know how long sims 4 will last so maybe we will get it
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • zoeh7zoeh7 Posts: 133 Member

Agree, I feel like sims 5 will be really realistic haha
    Origin ID: Th3SimsFactory
    Please add me on Origin!
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I used to hate walking around TS3 and finding the baby on the floor or in some inconspicuous place. I actually like them always being in one spot: the bassinet.

When I want to do some real interacting, I just age them up to toddlers.
  • Nomiko13Nomiko13 Posts: 1,497 Member
    I agree. Hate the baby stage in TS4 and wish they were freed from their cribs.
    ▼add/follow▼
    ●【youtube】【 sims 3 page】【gallery】●

mario_10.jpg
    ●|| free items | daily deals | cascades |thank you ||●
    ▲still waiting on sims 4 generations▲
    ▶owner of the store since 9/21/2017◀
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    I used to hate walking around TS3 and finding the baby on the floor or in some inconspicuous place. I actually like them always being in one spot: the bassinet.

well they don't need to be completely free they just need to be free enough to get moved to other objects
    like a rocking chair or a bath or a play mat @Chazzzy thats what I'm hopping for
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Now that toddlers have been added it seems like the biggest issue for babies has been solved because if a Sim can carry a toddler they can carry a baby there is no need for them to be locked up anymore. If the floor is such a big issue that people always cry about they could set a few objects that Sims have to leave the baby at such as a crib rocker or a play mat and provide interactions all family members can do with the baby at each location and not just be a bassinet object.

Also a few people feel as if Sims 4 is ending soon so there no time to fix babies I doubt that. First we have heard nothing of Sims 5 second they still have over a year of releases coming to Sims 4 on consoles not to mention all the content they have yet to release that will also have to go to consoles before they move on.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    edited January 2018
    I'm right with you. We really need to have better babies. You make me dream when you say take the baby while watching the TV. It would be amazing in the sims. Please improve babies like toddlers!
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    edited January 2018
    More interactions with babies for all the stages of life, playmat, toddlers & children who can caress babies. So many good ideas to make!
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,186 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »

You could just click on the icon, and than the game would center on the baby sim.

If you spend five minutes on the sims community website they have evidence or (hints) of a magic related pack/expansion, meaning the development team still have content coming, thus far we've seen code/hints at Seasons, now magic and so on. Expansions take over a year, at least from watching how the team go silent and then pop up with news of new this and that from time to time, I can assume big packs take a year to maybe 2 years, while stuff packs (I'm assuming this time frame because of the time it took for votes to build the laundry pack) take up to a year, give or take, so I guess, or hope, at most we have another 2/3 years of sims 4 depending on how much content they dish out and how many expansions they release in the near future.

I don't believe for a minute we will have as much as the sims 3 gave us, but again, hope, maybe they'll throw a bunch of content at us in the next few years to make up for lack of such now or maybe they'll stretch it out and redeem (Doubt it) sims 4 in some way.

I'm not delirious when I talk about these things, the obviousness is there but instead of focusing on the negative I like to have a small hope that the Sims 4 team will deliver once or twice, or at least bring out patches mending some of their mistakes with babies being objects, constant loading screens and no story progression whatsoever.

Its good to have common sense on your side, but so is the hope things can improve, regardless of all the facts telling you different.

Sorry for butting in btw
  • GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member

Yeah, it is a possibility.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I'm not sure how the baby life stage can be considered a life stage. The baby is an object. You want to I interact with it you click on its crib. We are right back to the Sims 1. The baby is just there. They could have done a lot with this stage but they haven't. I feel its a wasted opportunity.
  • CiarassimsCiarassims Posts: 3,547 Member
    Personally i don't see the point of doing that now, however i do agree with what others have said about more interactions. I feel personally that it is a bit to late to be doing this now seeing as the this generation has reached it's peak imo, and in a couple of years I wouldn't be surprised if TS5 is announced too...
    giphy_1.gif
  • futurevet201futurevet201 Posts: 59 Member
    I agree babies should be a full life state, not an object to move around the house.
    I did a push-up today!
    Well, actually I fell down. But I had to use my arms to get back up so...you know, close enough.
    I need some chocolate.
  • candy8candy8 Posts: 3,815 Member
    They looked like caterpillars in Sims 3 yet you were able to do things with them like put them in a coach and walk them, carry them and even take them in the car. I wish they also had clothes, at least some things to change them in instead of just keeping them prisoner in a crib all day. I have to move the crib to put them outside for awhile just to give them fresh air and Vitamin D. He, he, we really need more stuff to do, not fluffy stuff but real stuff.
  • PatiPatouPatiPatou Posts: 46 Member
    I too wish we could something with them. Maybe walk around, bath time, out for a stroll... After a couple of hours the interactions become repetitive IMO. I age them fast, because there's not much enjoyment for me in having them for more than a day.
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    I keep babies around for about three Sims days and then I age them up. Really, they should be able to do more with babies and not have made them objects.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
    PatiPatou wrote: »
    I too wish we could something with them. Maybe walk around, bath time, out for a stroll... After a couple of hours the interactions become repetitive IMO. I age them fast, because there's not much enjoyment for me in having them for more than a day.

I agree
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    edited January 2018
    I actually love the baby stage as is. I personally do not consider the baby as an object. They are just an npc for 3 days or so.
    Post edited by NorthDakotaGamer on
  • ANGELFACE123ANGELFACE123 Posts: 11 New Member
    Most of the time, I forget that the baby is there until they cry or I see the pop up in the corner. I would like if the did add little more gameplay for them.
    strollers for them so sims and take their babies and toddlers with them as they go for a jog or walk their dogs.
    they can get too full or have a little 24hr cold and cry more often and throw up on parents
    have tummy time or teach them to crawl
    new cribs
    small teddy bear they sleep with so they don't get nightmare (for the toddlers too)
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    I actually love the baby stage as is. I personally do not consider the baby as an object. They are just an npc for 3 days or so.

They are about as much of an NPC as a plant. I think they share more qualities with plants than they do with Sims. Stationary, cycles through a handful of changing visual states, has a handful of interactions with Sims - and like gardening a lot of them reuse the same animation.

Babies should be able to be carried around at least. Sims really won’t carry toddlers around for very long either so maybe that’s just something that they can’t accomplish in the game.

Never considered that, actually, they are sort of an NPC yet even NPC’s themselves have more interactions and ability than babies do. They have free will to move and such while again, babies are more of an object, a baby sim is actually sort of both of you think about it, the lowest form of NPC where it can have a few interactions yet remains sort of still in terms to progress if that makes sense.

I do see it now however. It doesn’t cushion the blow EA have dealt but I am looking at them in a new light.