Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What life span do you most often play?

cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member

These poll have been fun so I thought I'd give it a try.

You can give details in a response if you customize the life stages.

What life span do you most often play? 166 votes

Short
1%
alexandreaVengefulNoodles 2 votes
Medium
1%
Ninja-Dan22Teslachick2bad1788 3 votes
Normal
28%
Hejixcianebklienhartblacksheba1973MamaSimTeePuddinroyalanmichael1CheeezeyJoAnne65cwaddellPaikallinenSimplyJenfxchrfxchrmegan_mariajupkmnRsandaellabrodey9AgentAnteaterTempurranceSapphire268 47 votes
Long
22%
Emily4331Piazzagirl1015Jaline33thundrwilowroseMagdaleenaJeansooVexingQuerySillyhartluvMikezumikiara07amaresityRodJohnSamisfreeProximElijahsBabyGurl9Pyramorewinterbaby20GITTE2001starzgirl1mousemuffin 38 votes
Epic
18%
CK213carlystur03despina53Writin_RegRukola_SchaafOGPoohAnmirlaMe1620CororonKaeChan2089BlackSandj3n1ynbecomingjenn1need4kaffeedogdancerbekkasanSindocatTrashmagicTadOlsonwendyyi1 30 votes
Aging is turned off.
27%
nickibitswardIdontrcallsuzsesJessa_DakkarAmphoraEmoFlowersdreamerz13SeraphicPinkApparentlyAwesomeemorrillpetalbotjillbgGabbyGirlJstarguruAnthonydyergamerplaya94DragonAge_300905Llandros2012jjames041funkeeferret 46 votes

Comments

• cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    Normal

I customize the life stages:
    Baby 2
    Toddler 5
    Child 7
    Teen 14
    Y adult 21
    Adult 35
    Elder 7

for a total of 91 days
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    Epic
    I customize the lengths of each lifestage:
    Pregnancies -30 days
    Babies -60 days
    Toddlers -120 days
    Children -360 days
    Teens -180 days
    Young Adults -540 days
    Adults -ap1080 days(it can vary according to the time period)
    Elders -ap 540 days.
    I editied these in notepad outside of the game to get those numbers and pregnancies were edited in NRaas Retuner to last 720 hours.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,823 Member
    Normal
    Customized:
    Baby 2 • Toddler 5 • Child 7 • Teen 12 • Young Adult 22 • Adult 24 • Elder 14

I'm focusing on challenges at the moment so this way I can progress faster before getting burnt out or bored. NRaas: Relativity speed adjusted to lengthen days.. I can't remember what I currently have it set to but I think it's 16. Normally I have it set to 19.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    Long
    I usually use the Long life span, and I customize the ages. Usually I set infant through teen close to the Normal settings and max the YA/A age spans. But it depends on the individual game and what I want to accomplish.

In some games I use the Normal settings and max the YA/A age spans. In challenges I use whatever the challenge rules specify.
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Epic
    Epic, for the most part, but babies are boring - once I have cuddled them for a day or two, it's toddler time, which only lasts as long as it takes to potty train, learn to talk, learn to walk, master the pegboard and the xylophone. After that, there is enough for children through elders to do that I give them plenty of time to do it. I don't turn aging off... but I do give them plenty of time to earn that Age Freeze Potion. :)
  • CharlottesmomCharlottesmom Posts: 7,015 Member
    Aging is turned off.
    Aging turned off but only because I’m usually doing stories and I can’t have Sims dropping dead who may be needed further into the story. ;)
  • AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    Aging is turned off.
    I turn aging off. I don't want a game full of dying people. That's depressing.
  • CravenLestatCravenLestat Posts: 13,735 Member
    Aging is turned off.
    I turn aging off. I don't want a game full of dying people. That's depressing.

eWCIV3m.png
    I Play Sims 3 On A Potato

DfydFiZ.gif
  • JeansooJeansoo Posts: 3,606 Member
    Long
    Infant 2 toddler 15 child 20 teen 30 YA 90 adult 90 elder 35

This is the lifespan for my neighborhood sims, not my household.
    If i set the toddler age span long, i see some npc neighborhood teaches talking, training potty, and walking to their toddlers themselves, It was really cool. The main reason is that I dont want to see neighborhood sims get old and die. Because I cant care all of them. And for my houehold, they get younger after planning clothes in cas, so my sims never get aged. I dont know why they is getting younger in cas. The same thing happens in makeover room as well.
  • jordandjordand Posts: 262 Member
    edited January 2018
    Normal
    My method is a little different and falls into more than one of the categories listed. When I first create a sim, I will turn aging off while they start working on skills and decide what kind of careers they are going to have, if they’re going to have one. (I know I could cheat some beginner skill levels through MC, but generally don’t do that, even for CAS sims). Once they have a little bit of skills, I’ll turn aging back on as they date/get married, work through their career, have a family, etc. I want to do a legacy at some point, so even though it’s hard I leave aging on after they’ve initially gotten a little bit of a start. I do feel like the normal span goes pretty fast, but I don’t want to get too attached to one generation when I do a legacy and not move on, let the older ones eventually die, etc.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited January 2018
    Normal
    Normal, in combination with aging turned off when I want things to go a bit slower.

(dying sims isn’t depressing because they don’t really die; the options and possibilities with that given are numerous!)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    Normal
    It is just after 11:30 Eastern US Time and I'm surprised that the majority play with aging turned off. I've never done that. For those who do, do you age any sims via birthday cakes or cheats? If so do you just age up those in your active household or the whole town? Also for those who turn aging off, did you ever play SIMS 2? I'm having a hard time figuring out how this works in a game.
  • puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    Normal
    I haven't played on anything other than normal lifespan since my first few games. In the beginning, I was terrified of letting my sims die, but I realized that eventually I wanted to move on. Besides, I love having a gardener and a cook (maybe the same sim) in my households, and there's usually someone who fishes for a while at least, so I have no trouble postponing the demise of my favorite sims.

At the very least, I customize by shortening the toddler stage and adding the days to childhood: 3/4/10/14/21/21/17->90 days.

If I'm building a huge family (10 children or more), I go with 2/4/8/8/23/28/17->90 days. I think that simulates actual life better. I don't have the University EP, so the teen stage also covers the college years, when my sims are building skills in anticipation of whatever career I'll give them. No matter what, I can't stand having a toddler for 7 days, and if I'm careful, four days is enough time to teach them all of the life skills, plus have them complete the peg box, xylophone, and the writing and painting toddler books. Then they can age up to child and start doing somethng useful.
  • pandabear1836pandabear1836 Posts: 2,269 Member
    Normal
    I use normal! My Sims live to be 90 days old. I think it's the perfect amount of time. I would certainly get bored of my save if I played with the same Sims forever, lol. My ages are set as:

Baby: 2 days
    Toddler: 4 days
    Child: 10 days
    Teenager: 14 days
    Young Adult: 25 days
    Adult: 23 days
    Elder: 12 days
  • ButtersimsButtersims Posts: 107 Member
    Normal
    I go Normal, normally. But I've made the lifespan so that all of the stages balance out to a definitive 100 sim days - Baby is 2, Toddler is 4, Child is 10, Teen is 10, YA is 23ish, Adult is 23ish, and Elder is whatever else. I forget the exact numbers, lol :D
  • bklienhartbklienhart Posts: 2,975 Member
    Normal
    I usually play Normal(ish).

Babys - 2 because there's really nothing to do with them.
    Toddlers - 7 gives me time to teach them everything. I usually try to have them age up to child on a Friday.
    Child - 14 days I use this time for making friends, and then age up to Teen on a Friday.
    Teen - 14 days to make more friends and start on some skills for their LTW.
    YA/Adult - 28 days each. If they have kids about halfway through YA, then by the time their kids hit YA, they should be Elders.
    Elders - 12 days. Although most of them live a lot longer than that, enough to see their grandkids hit teen.
  • fxchrfxchrfxchrfxchr Posts: 329 Member
    Normal
    Normal span (2,5,7,11,26,26,10). Aging on, definitely, since I like to see all the generational changes, and with the NRaas SP, there's always changes :smile:
    Firby nurbs!
  • ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,355 Member
    Aging is turned off.
    Aging off. My sims don't die! I did try normal span with story progression for a legacy but I prefer my aging off game.
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,404 Member
    edited January 2018
    Epic
    Baby 3d I've had my fill of diaper changes...in-game and in real life.
    Toddler 7d, shortened to 5 depending on how fast I can get through training the kid. I've had three RL kids...I don't need to experience toilet training and teaching them how to talk (once they do start talking, they never shut up). :D
    Child - 150 days - I have one in this life stage in RL and well...there are some days she makes sense and other days...well...wow...non-sequiturs galore.
    Teen - 300 days (this is where I have 2 in this life-stage in RL and I can actually talk deeper concepts with them).
    Young Adult - 450 days
    Adult - 450 days
    Elder - 75 days (with death chance increased 30%)

That's how come River and Haruo have at least 90 chapters and still-going to their life-story. :D This is going to be one long legacy. :D

GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • SillyhartluvSillyhartluv Posts: 73 Member
    Long
    I use the long lifespan, but customize it to my own needs. I even use Tagger's option to show age in years so I can pretend they are certain ages.

Baby-1 (1)
    Toddler-7(1-4)
    Child-14 (5-11)
    Teenager-20 (12-19)
    Young Adult-45 (19-38)
    Adult-45 (39-60)
    Elder-36/38 (depends on how attached I am) 61+
  • cocococo Posts: 2,722 Member
    Normal
    I have played on normal for the longest time. But just recently adjusted the lifespans so everything is extended a bit. Before, my sims didn't start having kids until they were nearly full adults and the grandparents would die before the kids grew up. Hopefully this changes because it's pretty sad to watch.
  • MamaSimTeeMamaSimTee Posts: 963 Member
    Normal
    I play mostly on the Normal span. I customize my ages.

If a challenge I'm playing with requires another option I do that as well. I have one SIM where I turn aging off, just because she's my "ultimate" sim (she's going to live everywhere and do everything).
    <insert inspiring comment here> :)
  • AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    edited January 2018
    Aging is turned off.
    cwaddell wrote: »
    It is just after 11:30 Eastern US Time and I'm surprised that the majority play with aging turned off. I've never done that. For those who do, do you age any sims via birthday cakes or cheats? If so do you just age up those in your active household or the whole town? Also for those who turn aging off, did you ever play SIMS 2? I'm having a hard time figuring out how this works in a game.

@cwaddell In most cases I do not need to do aging. I made a sim to represent myself and when I became a young adult, I did age up my sim to young adult. Therefore I only age up a sim if the real life person reaches that age group.

In TS2, use cheat code 'aging off' and that will stop aging. You have to type in the cheat every time you start a new game. You may be able to manipulate age through the tombstone of life and death.
  • dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    Aging is turned off.
    I kind of thought I'd be in more of a minority tbh. But I've had aging off for years. I think I started when I started my one current family because they were aging up too fast for me even on long. That was almost 7 years ago. I forget sometimes that you can turn aging on lol.

I age up Sims usually whenever I'm ready with cheats. A cake if I'm feeling nice. And I usually stop at YA. But I'll sometimes age parents up to adult when their kids start getting well into their own YA years. And I only age sims that I play or that are used in stories. The rest of the town stays where they're at 'cause I don't care about them anyway.
  • suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    Aging is turned off.
    I kind of thought I'd be in more of a minority tbh.

@dreamerz13 I thought so, too.

@cwaddell I do age with birthday cake, and at the same time, I do have a rough number of days in mind for certain age groups (babies are usually very short and toddlers not much longer, just long enough to learn their skills). With others, it just depends on how much fun they are at their current age or what all I'm trying to accomplish in that particular save. Once in a while, I find a reason to age up via MasterController. Sometimes, I do turn aging on, like when I have a lot of sims in town I want to go on to the next stage of life at around the same time, and then I will usually change the length of the stage that group is at to something very short and turn aging back off again once they've all had their birthdays. Or, if I'm playing, say, three households, I'll rotate through them, only turning aging on during the third household's play time. That way, everyone is still sort of aging together, but I'm not missing out on a whole lot of a life stage if I'm not playing them.

I don't let my sims live forever, but I get very attached to some of them and have a hard time letting those go at the end. I try to use the aging on/short elder lifespan approach for those, but then I risk having other sims die when I'd rather they'd not just yet, so sometimes I use MC there. I really don't like to just summon the grim reaper on them, though.

As to your question about Sims 2, yes, I played it obsessively, but it's been so long I barely remember anything I did. Only the current household aged there. There are pros and cons to all that, but I like to rotate households, so I think Sims 2 influenced my decision to play with aging off in Sims 3.
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread