Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Two New Life Stages (Other than preteen)

1235...Next

Comments

• MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,749 Member
    There is a work-around all of this. If the developers would just shorten the teen's height it would honestly eliminate the need of pre-teens. These are the lifespans according to www.healthychildren.org.

Babies 1 to 12 months of age
    Toddlers are 2 to 3 years of age.
    Children are 5 to 11 years of age.
    Teens are typically 12 to 17 years of age.
    Young Adults are 18 to 21 years of age

So, do we really need a preschooler age that's only 1-2 years? Just shorten the height of teen sims, since Young Adults hit that age right around graduation/college. If anything, the personalities of our sims, as well as more traits for specific age groups should be incorporated into the game. Our sims maturity should blossom. Ages/Life Stages are just eye-candy IMO. It's watching our sims develop into the adult/elder sim which makes it more enjoyable.

When we start adding more life stages like preschooler, pre-teen, middle-age, senior, elder, ancient...it's really taking away from potential core gameplay with focus being on life stages that only last 2 or 3 minimum in-game days. What would make these never-been-seen before life stages unique from the rest other than height and appearance?

TS4 Aging Process
    Baby- Max 14 days
    Toddler- Max 28 days
    Child- Max 52 days
    Teen- Max 96 days
    Adult- Max 96 days
    Elder- Max 40 or more days
    Total Life Span- Max of 324+ in-game days. Our sim's overall life span from baby to death is almost 1-year in-game.

I'm not saying we shouldn't have more life stages, I just feel it's not necessary; just some tweaks here and there to make what life stages we do have feel more complete. And if they do add new life stages, than cool. If not, that's cool, too.

except if we shorten teens' height it means they would have to add MORE clothing for ANOTHER height. prefbley I would just leave the teens as their current height so they can share the same clothes as adults. Teens are 13-17. 12 year olds are in the "10-12" aka PRE teen
    6adMCGP.gif
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    12 is the ONLY year that could possibly be described as PRE-teen. If you consider 10 to be pre-teen then why not 9? Or 8? Or 7? Or 3? Because all of those are before they become a teen. No, 12 is the only possible age for pre-teen. But they aren't going to add a life stage that only last a few days in game play.

And I know some of you will say "well, in my opinion, 10 IS a pre-teen" so let me remind you that this game does not get additions based on your opinion of how things should be, but how they actually are.
  • BuzzBuzzBuzzBuzz Posts: 303 Member
    There is a work-around all of this. If the developers would just shorten the teen's height it would honestly eliminate the need of pre-teens. These are the lifespans according to www.healthychildren.org.

Babies 1 to 12 months of age
    Toddlers are 2 to 3 years of age.
    Children are 5 to 11 years of age.
    Teens are typically 12 to 17 years of age.
    Young Adults are 18 to 21 years of age

So, do we really need a preschooler age that's only 1-2 years? Just shorten the height of teen sims, since Young Adults hit that age right around graduation/college. If anything, the personalities of our sims, as well as more traits for specific age groups should be incorporated into the game. Our sims maturity should blossom. Ages/Life Stages are just eye-candy IMO. It's watching our sims develop into the adult/elder sim which makes it more enjoyable.

When we start adding more life stages like preschooler, pre-teen, middle-age, senior, elder, ancient...it's really taking away from potential core gameplay with focus being on life stages that only last 2 or 3 minimum in-game days. What would make these never-been-seen before life stages unique from the rest other than height and appearance?

TS4 Aging Process
    Baby- Max 14 days
    Toddler- Max 28 days
    Child- Max 52 days
    Teen- Max 96 days
    Adult- Max 96 days
    Elder- Max 40 or more days
    Total Life Span- Max of 324+ in-game days. Our sim's overall life span from baby to death is almost 1-year in-game.

I'm not saying we shouldn't have more life stages, I just feel it's not necessary; just some tweaks here and there to make what life stages we do have feel more complete. And if they do add new life stages, than cool. If not, that's cool, too.

Reality check: Teens will never get shorter and babies will never be unattached from their cribs.

I don't see babies (in the Sims 4) being older than 4 months. I do, however, think toddlers cover 2-4 years and children cover 7-10. I respect your opinion about more life stages. I want more life stages because:

1. A better, more diverse, and realistic aging system.
    2. More development
    3. Teen and baby issue
    4. No strange gaps

How adding additional life stages takes away the potential core of anything?
    edited January 2018
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    12 is the ONLY year that could possibly be described as PRE-teen. If you consider 10 to be pre-teen then why not 9? Or 8? Or 7? Or 3? Because all of those are before they become a teen. No, 12 is the only possible age for pre-teen. But they aren't going to add a life stage that only last a few days in game play.

And I know some of you will say "well, in my opinion, 10 IS a pre-teen" so let me remind you that this game does not get additions based on your opinion of how things should be, but how they actually are.

Then again, you don't know that for sure. Statement invalid unless we are told by someone who actually for the Sims 4. Preteen has a specified age range. You don't call a five-year-old a preteen. A preteen is someone who is approaching the teenage years which is more of ten, eleven, twelve years old. A child under nine isn't a preteen.
  • wrenstaleswrenstales Posts: 777 Member
    I'd like a preschool trait and a playgroup, where babies, toddlers can interact with each other, paint, draw, write with pencil colour and learn skills.
    BuzzBuzz wrote: »

Then again, you don't know that for sure. Statement invalid unless we are told by someone who actually for the Sims 4. Preteen has a specified age range. You don't call a five-year-old a preteen. A preteen is someone who is approaching the teenage years which is more of ten, eleven, twelve years old. A child under nine or ten isn't a preteen.

Not approaching, but on the cusp of becoming a teenager. 10 and 11 is not on the cusp. And if they were going to add pre-teens into the game, they would have done it with toddlers, all at once, instead, we been told that the toddler team has moved on to other teams.

And this thread was supposed to be about stages other than pre-teens, according to the title. But here we are talking about the same subject that has been shut down many times before.

Then again, you don't know that for sure. Statement invalid unless we are told by someone who actually for the Sims 4. Preteen has a specified age range. You don't call a five-year-old a preteen. A preteen is someone who is approaching the teenage years which is more of ten, eleven, twelve years old. A child under nine or ten isn't a preteen.

Not approaching, but on the cusp of becoming a teenager. 10 and 11 is not on the cusp. And if they were going to add pre-teens into the game, they would have done it with toddlers, all at once, instead, we been told that the toddler team has moved on to other teams.

And this thread was supposed to be about stages other than pre-teens, according to the title. But here we are talking about the same subject that has been shut down many times before.

10 and 11 is on the cusp of adolescence. A guru said toddlers were their PRIORITY. Toddlers were to come first before any other life stage.

Also, I don't remember hearing about the toddler team moving on the other teams. A source please?

Ok here's a thing..we had Toddlers in 2 of the previous games but we NEVER, NEVER, NEVER had pre-teens in *any* of the previous game.. the toddler data info was there from the basegame because they would have been patched in at some time because of people's expections to have toddlers. Pre-teens was never a deal for Sims game
    6adMCGP.gif
    wrenstales wrote: »
    I'd like a preschool trait and a playgroup, where babies, toddlers can interact with each other, paint, draw, write with pencil colour and learn skills.

Good idea!
  • ManakoHimeManakoHime Posts: 285 Member
    Yeah I guess in some ways the child to teen jump is a bit much and it should have something in the middle but that is how ALL sim games have gone. If anything I feel like EA could flesh out what they have already given us in life stages like maybe make the teenagers a little smaller then Young Adults and Adults and giving them just teenage clothing and hairstyles. I am sick and tired of seeing teens look no different from Young Adults and Adults, where is their individuality!?

10 and 11 is on the cusp of adolescence. A guru said toddlers were their PRIORITY. Toddlers were to come first before any other life stage.

Also, I don't remember hearing about the toddler team moving on the other teams. A source please?

If you thin 10 is on the cusp of 13, then you don't know what "on the cusp" means.

And you didn't answer why you have started yet another pre-teen thread.

If you thin 10 is on the cusp of 13, then you don't know what "on the cusp" means.

10 *is* on the cusp because boys sometimes get a height bost as well as girls sometmies
    6adMCGP.gif
    MadameLee wrote: »

10 *is* on the cusp because boys sometimes get a height bost as well as girls sometmies

No it's not. Cusp means "on the verge of" or "about to" not "years away from". You can't be about to turn into a teenager at 10, three years before the event. That's not on the cusp. It's not a physical condition, it's a time condition. It doesn't matter if a boy can grow a beard at 10, he still isn't on the cusp of being a teenager until he's 12.
  • JaysWrxldJaysWrxld Posts: 618 Member
    I know you said other than pre-teen... but pre teen... Because its awkward to see a 10 year old just magically go into a 16 year old.
  • JaysWrxldJaysWrxld Posts: 618 Member

It could be 12, 13, 14, and 15. Then teen will be 16,17 and possibly 18.
    JaysWrxld wrote: »

PRE means before, so thirTEEN, fourTEEN and fifTEEN is actually a TEEN so it, by definition can not be a pre-teen age.
  • SassycottonSassycotton Posts: 438 Member
    18 is teenager. sorry just saying
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    JaysWrxld wrote: »

PRE means before, so thirTEEN, fourTEEN and fifTEEN is actually a TEEN so it, by definition can not be a pre-teen age.

This. Exactly this.

The teen years, in the languages that use the teen suffix, run from thirteen, through to nineteen.
    Pre, by definition, means before. Which means that anything with the teen suffix is a teen, up until they become post-teen.

There is a very specific term for the post single digits, pre teen suffix. 10-12 is a tween, aka between single digits and the teenage years. Perhaps that is more like what people are wanting?

You're not going to talk about preindustrial, and include the 1820's. But the term preindustrial means everything before the industrial revolution, which began in the mid 1700's. Like with the term preteen, the pre means before.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif

You don't want what cusp mean, actually. For an example, my daughter is 10 and she is on the cusp of teenhood. That means my daughter is almost a teenager. She has 3 more years until she's officially a teen.

You don't want what cusp mean, actually. For an example, my daughter is 10 and she is on the cusp of teenhood. That means my daughter is almost a teenager. She has 3 more years until she's officially a teen.

Are you mad? 10 is not on the cusp of anything except 11. Look it up. It doesn't matter if a 10 year old boy could grow a full bread, he still would not be "on the cusp" of being a teenager until he was 12, beard and all.
  • SassycottonSassycotton Posts: 438 Member
    Um hope this is an arugment i'm reading here....I hate fighting.
    Um hope this is an arugment i'm reading here....I hate fighting.

I'm not up for any arguments. It's Dannydanbo being argumentative and debatable. I'm done with that person because I really don't benefit from him.
    I'm not the one making the same thread over and over about the same topic that has been shut down more than once. As I have said before, if you want pre-teens, give the devs something that pre-teens add to game that kids or teens don't other than "I just want them".
    I'm not the one making the same thread over and over about the same topic that has been shut down more than once. As I have said before, if you want pre-teens, give the devs something that pre-teens add to game that kids or teens don't other than "I just want them".

Why do you even pay attention to the threads? It's not for you. I already specified my ideas, you're just not paying attention.
  • ZedFeZedFe Posts: 7 New Member
    > @Erpe said:
    > Young adults were introduced in TS2 as a new age group for university students. But without the university what should the difference between young adults and normal adults then be?

I think mainly in behavior. Young Adults would act less emotionally mature than Adults and be more drawn to doing things commonly associated with younger people from partying to playing video games. Relationships between Young Adults would be a lot less solid than Adults because most of them wouldn't have found out the kind of person they're looking for. Despite this, Young Adults aren't as worried about settling down, so breakups don't hit them as hard as they do Teens or Adults. This doesn't mean they're promiscuous, but their priorities aren't quite about "The One." The unfortunate side effect of this is that they might get back together with that person even if they really don't need to because the effects from breaking up with them weren't much of a deterrent.

Young Adults would also feel tiredness a lot less than Adults, so they're able to work odder hours and stay up late doing things that require mental power or coordination. This would make it easier for them in college, but also entry level jobs as well. If the game allowed a sim to have multiple jobs at once, this would be a perfect ability to have. If they don't have enough energy, they become energy drink and coffee addicts and keep on until they can't.

The downside to acting immature is that they can cause and be in drama, and Young Adults would respond to cheating in a more dramatic way, while also getting back with that person a lot easier and claiming they've "changed." This could result in the same couple causing drama over and over again and getting back with each other, just like real life! They'd also let everyone know on social media.

Another part of being young while also independent is the realization you can get food at any time of night, so they'll go to stores and restaurants that are open 24 hours to grab food on a whim. It doesn't matter if it's 3am, they want burgers!