Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

TS3 Lagging & Unrecognized Video Card

simgurl323simgurl323 Posts: 76 Member
I recently bought a new ASUS ROG GL502VM laptop with 12 GB of memory, a 1 TB hard drive, quad-core Intel Core i7 processor and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3 GB. I have TS3 and all expansion packs except University installed, and I also have several mods but no cc. The mods I have are master controller, overwatch, twallan's story progression, and awesomemod.

So on to my issue... my game runs well for the most part, but it will freeze/lag for a few seconds every so many Sim minutes. Although it doesn't freeze for very long, it's still very frustrating how often it happens and on a laptop that I thought should run the game without these issues. I do have all my graphics settings set to the highest settings (except for "high detail lots", which I have set to "4"), but I figured having the highest settings would be fine given my NVIDIA graphics card. Speaking of my card, I received a notification when I first installed and opened up my game that said my card was unrecognized and my graphics settings would be set to the highest they could go.

I've searched for a solution to my problem, and I have already enabled vertical sync on the NVIDIA control panel as one solution suggested. I think it may have helped a little, but not completely. I also found another trick to make TS3 recognize my video card involving changing some things in the GraphicsCards and GraphicsRules SGR files, but I must have done something wrong (after I made changes to the files, my DeviceConfig was pretty much empty). When my DeviceConfig did this, I just completely uninstalled and re-installed my game and deleted all TS3 files to start fresh. So, that is where I am at now!

Here are the pastebins for my DeviceConfig, DXDIAG, and GraphicsCards/Rules SGR files.

DXDIAG - https://pastebin.com/S2Jigbvr
DeviceConfig - https://pastebin.com/SmFLtx9q
GraphicsCards - https://pastebin.com/Uut61pbV
GraphicsRules - https://pastebin.com/NHgsdVWD

I would greatly appreciate any help, and please let me know if I need to provide more information! :smile:

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2017
    Also, after playing for a little while now I’ve noticed when my game lags the clock will freeze, but the trees will still move from the wind, etc.
    Post edited by simgurl323 on
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited December 2017
    I will send you instructions by PM on how to get your card formally recognized and get rid of the 32 MB Texture Memory override that you are getting with no danger of the game needing to be reinstalled again. But I would like two additional pieces of information first if you could, please.

1 - What world(s) are you playing in? Do all of them have this lag symptom or just one or two? Or just one long-running ongoing game?
    2 - If you enable the fps on cheat code (ctrl+shift+C, type fps on and (enter)), what kind of fps rates are you getting displayed as you play and move the game camera around?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    @igazor Thank you so much for your response! I really appreciate your help.

1 - I’m playing one household with only two sims right now in Twinbrook. It’s the only town I’ve played so far, so I’m not sure how the other towns are. I’m currently doing a legacy and am only on the first generation, so it’s not a long-running game at all.

2. The numbers pretty much stayed between 50-60, but I did see it go to the 40s at times and (rarely) I would see a number in the 30s.

I actually did some more searching after posting this and found a suggestion to use Mastercontroller to “reset all” whenever freezing occurs. I did that and it actually made it stop for a long while, but it did start back up again. I went ahead and reset everything again and it stopped freezing for the time being.

I’m definitely okay with this solution since the game ran great for awhile, but if there is a possible permanent solution that would be even better!
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Okay, we can rule out the fps issue since the fluctuations between 40 and 60 fps as described are totally normal. It would be wild and much larger fluctuations over 100 or well into the hundreds that can cause frame rate related problems (and damage the card), but you've already taken care of that.

And we can rule out totally route flawed worlds like Isla Paradiso; Twinbrook usually plays better than that. But if you are getting temporary relief from MC Resets, still sounds to me like there is something occasionally going "wrong" specifically with this ongoing save rather than something hardware related. If sims cannot get to where they are going all around town, the game will lag while it constantly keeps trying to reroute them, hundreds or thousands of times per minute. If doors are getting stuck open and in use, for example, the lag will just keep returning. MC Reset Everythings fix that kind of thing because not only do they reset the sims involved, they also reset the doors.

You may want to consider changing Overwatch's settings so that it informs you of stuck sims but doesn't reset them. That way you can stop what you are doing and focus the game camera on them to find out why they are getting stuck and try to fix the problems. I would also suggest adding in ErrorTrap, Register, and Traffic as they doesn't appear to be on your list of problem solving mods.

--ErrorTrap performs a fair amount of game file clean up (trash data collection) along the way, while reporting on otherwise game-breaking errors. AwesomeMod also has a fixall on demand console command that can help, and there's no problem using them together.
    --Register provides better management of Role/Service Sims.
    --Traffic has a setting that can stop the overspawnage of performance career limos so that tens of thousands of them don't accumulate each sim day waiting for Overwatch to clean them up on its scheduled runs.

And you may want to try a test game in Sunset Valley or Riverview (if you have it) just to see if the same thing happens after the same amount of time has passed or not -- depends on how long it takes the symptoms to reappear I suppose.

You may also want to try playing offline (not logged in at the Launcher or in-game levels) and switching off the in-game EA TS3 Store shopping experience from Game Options if you don't already do this. But I will send you the instructions for graphics card recognition anyway in case you want them. Sometime we go through that just so we can rule the unrecognized card status as being part of any real problem, and sometimes players do get benefits from it.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    lauriej0823lauriej0823 Posts: 411 Member
    edited January 2018
    i have same card sims 3 recognizes it should be a uber level 5 and set to high but it doesn't
  • Options
    i have same card sims 3 recognizes it should be a uber level 5 and set to high but it doesn't
    I can help you with that if you send me a PM with a copy/paste the first 40 lines of your DeviceConfig.log (it's a file in your TS3 user game folder in Documents, it may appear as just "DeviceConfig" but that would be the same thing), you can stop when it gets to the longs lists of game options.

But much more importantly, have you taken steps to cap the frame rate (fps) within the game and verified as described above that your fps rates are staying locked in, below the refresh rate of your monitor? TS3 does not have a built-in fps limiter and getting formal card recognition won't help anything without tending to that first.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!