Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

[Life Stages Ideas] Preschoolers and Preteens

BuzzBuzzBuzzBuzz Posts: 303 Member
edited January 2018 in The Sims 4 Ideas Corner
NOTE: Please, do not debate, argue, harass, and insult in this thread. If you oppose extra life stages like preschoolers or preteens being added into the game, then avoid this thread since it isn't for you. You may not want them but other people do. I will not accept negative opinions and criticism of preteens or preschoolers because it's usually to harsh to read (for me at least). I know this seems unfair but this is only for my own good. Anyone who fails to follow my rules, oh well. There's nothing I can do about. Half of you don't even follow the official forum rules.

Not sure if preschoolers or preteens would be added in mobile or console versions of the games. I'm only focusing on the PC version right now.

I want to introduce you brand new life stages: Preschooler (4-6 years old) and Preteen (11-14 years old)

Preteen

-Portrays eleven to fourteen year olds
-Shorter than teens but taller than children
-Looks similar to teens but with youthful faces and slightly less developed bodies
-CAS features for teen or older sims enabled for preteens (gender options, muscle slider, body sculpting, etc.)
-Can cook meals, fix broken items, workout, care for babies/toddlers/preschoolers/children/pets, experience (shallow) romance (do things that children can't do; can do the majority that teens can do)
-Go to middle school, receive projects for school

Preschooler

-Portrays four to six year olds
-Shorter than children but taller than toddlers
-Slimmer bodies than toddlers
-Can interact with toddler and child objects
-Can interact with TVs and computers
-Carryable (able to be carried) like toddlers
-Attends to preschool

Somewhere between Jan to September this year (I hope), Maxis are able to add these life stages.
Post edited by BuzzBuzz on

Comments

• VengefulNoodlesVengefulNoodles Posts: 128 Member
    Thought I'd share my idea with you about a tween life stage.

New interactions for teens - Prom, Throw a sleepover party, Be arrested when pulling pranks, throw a teen party, pimples, and graduation party.

New Life stage - pre-teen or tween
    features - throw a temper tantrum, play in child playground, jumping on sofa, and develop crush on another tween.
    o5jNANX.gif
  • SnaveXsSnaveXs Posts: 4,322 Member
    I would want preteens because of shorter height difference but feel it would be cool if some Sims stayed that height to elderly.
  • BuzzBuzzBuzzBuzz Posts: 303 Member
    SnaveXs wrote: »
    I would want preteens because of shorter height difference but feel it would be cool if some Sims stayed that height to elderly.

I agree!
    edited January 2018
    Thought I'd share my idea with you about a tween life stage.

New interactions for teens - Prom, Throw a sleepover party, Be arrested when pulling pranks, throw a teen party, pimples, and graduation party.

New Life stage - pre-teen or tween
    features - throw a temper tantrum, play in child playground, jumping on sofa, and develop crush on another tween.

I love your ideas!
  • SassycottonSassycotton Posts: 438 Member
    I love these ideals also I have a question will preschoolers be able to suck their tumb and still pee the bed? Also would the peeing the bed work for the pre teen stage too especially if they have really bad dreams, etc?
    I love these ideals also I have a question will preschoolers be able to suck their tumb and still pee the bed? Also would the peeing the bed work for the pre teen stage too especially if they have really bad dreams, etc?

I hope! Whenever they get scared or embarrassed could work!
    Note: Hey guys! I was thinking about two more life stages. This makes a total of four new life stages. I beginning to hope maybe they'll be added in a Generations-themed expansion or game pack.

-Older baby: We all know that the current babies in the Sims 4 were poorly designed and created. Like in the first Sims and Sims Medieval, they became tied to the bassinet. It's more likely they won't be untied. The babies weren't given the freedom to be carried and put down on random floors.

This is why I came up with the idea of an older baby life stage. Older babies portray real babies between 8 and 14 months. I don't see how the younger babies surpass 1 year according to other simmers (must have no knowledge of real 1 year olds). Older babies are a bit smaller than toddlers.

Anyway, older babies can crawl and toddle around the floors. They can more freely unlike (younger) babies and be carried around on the hip. They aren't tied to the bassinet or anything but they do require to sleep in a crib (styled similarly from Sims 2 and 3). Older babies can eat processed baby food from jars and drink out of bottles. They can eat in toddler high chairs.

Older babies come with their own unique items such as the activity gym/mat, walker, rattles, and more. The babies can interact toddler toys like xylophone, building blocks, and shape recognization/sorter toys. Older babies are interact-able for toddlers, preschoolers, children, and preteens.

Middle Aged Adult- middle aged Adults cover older people between 48 and 63 years of age. They have graying hair color or styles and get retirement.
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    With all these new stages, sims should change every three days. Doesn't sound like much fun to me.
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    With all these new stages, sims should change every three days. Doesn't sound like much fun to me.

A birthday every 3 days.
    Think of the CAKE!!!! Your sims could be living on cake.
    If your family has multiple kids, then there'd be a birthday or two every day! More cake for everyone!

No more rolly-polly fish heads, just lots of rolly-polly sims!
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • SassycottonSassycotton Posts: 438 Member
    I agree more life stages
  • WombRaiderWombRaider Posts: 2 New Member
    Anyway, older babies can crawl and toddle around the floors. They can more freely unlike (younger) babies and be carried around on the hip. They aren't tied to the bassinet or anything but they do require to sleep in a crib (styled similarly from Sims 2 and 3). Older babies can eat processed baby food from jars and drink out of bottles. They can eat in toddler high chairs.

Older babies come with their own unique items such as the activity gym/mat, walker, rattles, and more. The babies can interact toddler toys like xylophone, building blocks, and shape recognization/sorter toys. Older babies are interact-able for toddlers, preschoolers, children, and preteens.

I LOVE THIS IDEA!!!! There definitely needs to be an older baby stage! I love the idea of having three kids, one baby, one older baby and one toddler. Sounds hectic and fun!!
  • SONSOWANSONSOWAN Posts: 1 New Member
    I love this idea here is my ideas

Preteen:

-Periods for girls
    -Body Growth
    -Phases
    -Middle School
    -Exclusive Romance interactions
    _Puberty
    -Puberty Emotion
    -Acne
    -Weight Gain
    -Can workout
    -Have School Popularity
    -Body Of Teen Face Of Kids
    -A Mix of some teen-elder aspirations and their own exclusive aspirations
    -Taller than Kids, shorter than Teens
    -Prom and Graduation options, maybe even for kids, preschoolers, or teens
    _11-13 years old
    -Can walk dogs, cook, clean, care for other babies/tots/preschoolers/kids
    -Have their own first Careers like Babysitting, Dog Sitting, House Sitting, Dog Walking, Elementary Assistant, After School Activities, and Stands
    -You can Adjust their body in CAS
    -More adult-like clothes
    -Have their own furniture but can also use teen beds, and kid beds

Preschoolers:

-Go to Kindergarten
    -Have their own traits
    -Have aspirations
    -Can do their own thing by themselves
    -Can eat on their own
    -Can bathe on their own, somebody just needs to be nearby
    -Can go to sleep on their own
    -4-6 years old
    -They have their furniture and toys
    -Better Backyard Playground Equipment
    -Taller Than Toddlers, Shorter Than Children

Newborns:

-Basically the sims when they are first born.
    -1 weeks to 4 months old
    -Are Basically Like Babies Normally in the sims but they can go out of their cribs and play with toys
    -You can control them
    -They don't have a shorter age span than infants
    -Even though they can go out of their cribs, they spend most of their time in the crib

Infants:

-Learn to say simple words in simonese
    -Learn to Crawl
    -Can go out of their crib
    -5 months to 20 months
    -Learn how to take steps with Parents
    -Can play with their own toys
    -Can modify them in CAS
    -Eat in high chair
    -Have their own stuff like rattles, bouncer, gym mat, blocks, and teethers
    -Can interact with Toddlers and they will respond

Older Teens:

-Ages 18-20
    -Would be a good age for university pack
    -Can go to college
    -Can go live in dorms
    -Can start preparing for college when regular teens
    -Can have exclusive intern jobs
    -A Youtube career

Middle Aged

-Ages 46-68
    -Can start preparing for retirement
    -Start having gray bits of hair
    -Have different tense and sad emotions like hair getting gray, getting older, and soon leaving family
    -Start to get body aches
    -Start walking slower

These would be great for a pack like generations in the sims 4.

How I imagine the ages to be:

Newborn 1 week to 4 months, Infant 5 months to 20 months, toddlers 2-3 years, preschoolers 4-6 years, kids 7-9 years, preteen 10-12, teen 14-17, older teen 18-20, young adult 21-29, adult 30-45, middle age 46-68, elderly 69-

Tell me if i forgot anything.
  • ManakoHimeManakoHime Posts: 285 Member
    I would be alright with at least one new life stage but I don't want so many that it will take a long time for them to die of old age so it sort of puts me off a little, so I have a question for you lovely people! How many days will each life stage be? I know a baby is 3 days and a toddler is 7/8 days, I think, but if we ever did end up with something like @SONSOWAN comment...
    SONSOWAN wrote: »

How I imagine the ages to be:

Newborn 1 week to 4 months, Infant 5 months to 20 months, toddlers 2-3 years, preschoolers 4-6 years, kids 7-9 years, preteen 10-12, teen 14-17, older teen 18-20, young adult 21-29, adult 30-45, middle age 46-68, elderly 69-

how many days would each stage have? ...or maybe a slide bar for each age?
  • RememberJoyRememberJoy Posts: 1,138 Member
    So would preteens have their own aspirations or would the childhood aspirations carry over? I suppose it would matter how long each life stage lasted, but I think it would be great if they carried over. Then if you had already accomplished one, you could increase their skills in other areas like cooking or gardening.

My only concern would be that the clothing assets we get in each game pack would be even more spread out. As it is we hardly get any toddler or kid clothing with each new pack. Add in preteens and preschoolers and suddenly you're only getting maybe one new thing for each kid life stage in each pack (not that we get a whole lot more than that now).

But I could see them adding them to a future Sims 5 game. So keep the ideas coming, because you just never know.
  • Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    So would preteens have their own aspirations or would the childhood aspirations carry over? I suppose it would matter how long each life stage lasted, but I think it would be great if they carried over. Then if you had already accomplished one, you could increase their skills in other areas like cooking or gardening.

My only concern would be that the clothing assets we get in each game pack would be even more spread out. As it is we hardly get any toddler or kid clothing with each new pack. Add in preteens and preschoolers and suddenly you're only getting maybe one new thing for each kid life stage in each pack (not that we get a whole lot more than that now).

But I could see them adding them to a future Sims 5 game. So keep the ideas coming, because you just never know.

I thought of this and I would like some aspirations to carry over but also have the other aspirations as well like cooking not a full course meal but like the simple stuff like level 1-3 in the cooking aspiration. Handiness like they can work on things. The clothing should be like teens but not with all the skin showing. Light make up and more hair dos.
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member

Current toddlers are already pretty much preschool age -- they're a lot more independent than past toddlers especially as they gain in skills. Rather than preschoolers, I'd like to see an active day care system. The day care operator will have a couple of random toddlers dropped off for them to care for (the more Day Care skill they gain, the more toddlers they get and the more money earned) with no control over the traits (you might end up with Fussy or Wild toddlers). I just think that would be a better alternative and better use of resources.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • GoodywoodGoodywood Posts: 4,612 Member
    I would love this!

I feel we at least need middle school kids/ or younger teens. I still don't like seeing a child jump into and full grown adult with the title teen.
    PLEASE FIX TEENS IN TS4! I NEED YOUNGER TEENS NOT YA TEENS! (^_^)Please add Music Bands with lead singers! Please add vehicles and garages! Vehicles have always been part of The Sims.
  • PastelMermaidPastelMermaid Posts: 1,298 Member

Current toddlers are already pretty much preschool age -- they're a lot more independent than past toddlers especially as they gain in skills. Rather than preschoolers, I'd like to see an active day care system. The day care operator will have a couple of random toddlers dropped off for them to care for (the more Day Care skill they gain, the more toddlers they get and the more money earned) with no control over the traits (you might end up with Fussy or Wild toddlers). I just think that would be a better alternative and better use of resources.

I love the idea of this - like an active day care career.. or like the vet career where it's not a full blown career but you can have your own clinic and gain skill and progress as if it was one. I have a "day care" lot where toddlers-kids can play, hang out and skill build and its a different environment :) but actually having a skill and "job" for it would be so cool - "level 2 in bla bla.. your sim can now look after 3 toddlers".. could also help with parenting if you had the parenthood pack
    tumblr_nvqukkenkr1udwsc5o7_250.gif

"wahoo" - aquaman
  • ElisdreamElisdream Posts: 295 Member
    Hello! I totally agree with you! I'd love the addition of his two life stages in the game so bad. I think it is completely necessary, the sims claims to be a life simulator, but there are still so many things that keeps it away from a really and truely enjoyable in game experience, and in my opinion, the improvement and addition of basic life stages would make a great sucess. I'm totally into family gameplay, as well as a lot of other gamers, I love to play with babies growing into adults, but once they reach the teen life state, everything lose fun and realism. You can't age a kid that looks like a 8 years old to look like a 18-20 year old. I even had cases where the kid age up to teen and looks older than his own parents! It's a bit insane, and sadly it's something very discouraging. I don't even talk about the cases that the kid has a sibling, that's streight up hell! There's a huge gap that should be fix. ¿How are the creators just okay with it? I know it's probably a hard thing to add now, but right there, that's definatly the content we would love them to work in.

Another interesting addition along with pree teens would be pre schoolers, absolutely! I admit it's not a huge age gap from toddler to kids as it is in the monstrous case of kids and teens, but it would be such a lovely and ejoyable addition to the game. Toddlers look and act completely different from preschoolers, and when you play with a family, you want to be able to watch the growing and develop of your little sim, and with toddlers there's little bit of develop you can actually see in your game. Yes, they can learn how to talk, yes they can learn how to go to potty, how to reason better, but how much of this do you actually see in your game? A feature that I love of toddlers it's how visible it's the difference in their walking styles as they learn to run and walk better. It would be amazing if you could be able to watch this kind of things also in other areas of their development, and that's where preschoolers would absolutely fit. Their abilities and skills would be completely tigh to the development they reached as toddlers. And there are millions of features that could be added, such as potty-trained, expressive (in case they filled the comunication skill as toddlers), deconcentrated- centered, in case they reached a good (or bad) mental develop as toddlers, this trait would interfere with their learning as preeschoolers, feral trait in case your toddler wasn't able to reach lvl 2-3 in any of their basic skills, emotionally ready, that trait would add certain buffs while they're in preeschool (they won't often cry for mommy or daddy, they'd have happier buffs from going to pre K) etc.

And last but not least, if we're talking about realism and enjoyable family playing, I would love to see as well some kind of improvement to babies 🤍
    https://mybayutcdn.bayut.com/mybayut/wp-content/uploads/toddlers-playing.jpg This is how toddlers look in game
    https://www.glpd.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/Preschool-Pages-Header-Image-1.png This is how preeschoolers should look
    https://churchleaders-eszuskq0bptlfh8awbb.stackpathdns.com/wp-content/uploads/files/article_images/5th_6th_grade_342801609.jpg And preteens.
    Honestly pre schoolers would be so cute.
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    Personally, I think the toddlers and children we have already kind of cover preschoolers and pre-teens. The toddlers look to be nearing 4 years old while the children are basically pre-teens right now. Honestly, I think it would make more sense to have overhauled babies than anymore older ages. While yes, I would love to have stages in-between toddler and child and child and teen, because I think the jump between them is too massive, what I think the game needs more than anything is the early development of a baby. The process of learning to crawl, walk, eat solid food, babble, and basically do all of one's "firsts" is what's noticeably missing from this game for me. If anything, I think overhaulded babies should come before any completely new lifestages.

But like I said, if we ever were to get any more lifestages in this game, I'd love an age between our current toddler and "child". I really would like to see an age range for 5-6 year olds. Right now we jump from 3 to 10 and that middle gap of early childhood is completely ignored.
  • Gingasnap27Gingasnap27 Posts: 98 Member
    I love all the ideas!!! Honestly though, I think some might find it difficult to handle such a large influx of new age groups. What if we just chose 2-3?

The older baby fixes our issues with the babies now, as the sims will be more than just a "prop". The pre-teen/tween stage will allow more diversity of character and more real-life issues to be brought into play. Example: acne, menstrual cycles, awkward talks with parents, braces, first kiss...someone mentioned prom and I think that should be a teen thing. Then, we could add a Mid-adult stage, which I think is just inspiring!!! A little grey automatically added (option to fix every 4-5 days will hair saloon or the mirror), perhaps some wrinkles (sims could buy special lotions), add in back aches or tiring quicker. I always thought it weird they went from adults to elders.

More than anything, I think we should focus on the early years first, as that area is what most simmers are asking for! :))
    edited March 2020
    SONSOWAN wrote: »

Preschoolers:

-Go to Kindergarten
    -Have their own traits
    -Have aspirations
    -Can do their own thing by themselves
    -Can eat on their own
    -Can bathe on their own, somebody just needs to be nearby
    -Can go to sleep on their own
    -4-6 years old
    -They have their furniture and toys
    -Better Backyard Playground Equipment
    -Taller Than Toddlers, Shorter Than Children

I love your ideas so much! And that's exactly how I imagine them! If I can add some ideas to yours!:

Plays and games:

Preschoolers could be able to play with some of the kid's playground equipments with/under some help or supervition. They could be able to go through the monkey bars with help of a teen or adult that holds them. They could be able to use the swings slower and not so high, and also would have their own interaction as "play with the swings" (push the swing, rock on the swing on their bellys, etc) (Imagine the cutness)

They would be able to use the closet and dress by themselves, and also, under "play..." they could play in closet like kids, or they could wear costumes and play to dress like mommy and daddy".

They could play with toddler's toys alone or with their toddler's siblings, but they won't make them gain any skill, they would only fill the fun need. They could play with kid's toy but also have their owns.

They could use the kid's puppets theater. Similar to this line, they would also have a new toy similar to kid's toy's boxes, with costumes instaed of toys and a little portable plastic mic to "wear costume" and "perfome show" interactions to amuse their mom's and dad's, and this would fill their social/attention need.

Basic objects:

They would be able to sit with their family in the table using a chair with a cushion.
    They would be able to sleep in kid's bed with the option of read to sleep as well as thuck in. They would have nightmares as toddlers, and could imagine monsters under the bed as kids as well.

Communication:

They'd be able to completely communicate in simlish and they'd have different voices types/ voices distintions like kids and adults.

Special TRAITS:

SKILLS
    Feral: Toddlers who aged up to preschoolers without reaching a good development of their habilities.
    Potty trained: Toddlers who age up having mastered lvl 3 or 5 of potty train.
    Expressive: Toddlers who age up having mastered lvl 5 of communication.
    Imaginative: Similar to expressive but mastering the imagination skill.
    Attentive: Same but with lvl 3 of thinking skill.

Related to TODDLERHOOD

Restless: Toddlers with the wild trait that aged up to preschoolers. This trait would give a little boost the develop of motor skill, they would have more chance of getting energized and they would play in class often.
    Timid: Toddlers with the clingy trait. These preschoolers would have a harder time starting kinder and saying goodbye to mom and dad. They would become sad, or tense minutes before going to school, and would become happy when they come back.
    Little sweetheart: Toddlers with charmer trait. Would make friends easier and would athomatically get to be liked by nearest adults. Adults with the "hates children trait" could get a little heart melted by preschoolers and kids with this trait. Big chances of become the teacher's little sweetheart/favourite.
    Well behave: Toddlers with the angelic trait.
    Curious: Toddler with inquisitive trait.
    Little monsters: Toddlers with the fussy trait.

Appearance and CAS

Lot's of accesories such a ribbons, glasses, headbangs, cute hats and earings, honestly EVERYTHING to give little kids their fun and cute look.

Toddler like appearance but taller and sightly thinner.

Cute hairstyles as double braids, ponytails, double buns, messy hairs, etc.

Make up: Face make up available for crayon streaks and paint stains, band aids, and some halloween options.

Some habilities and interactions

They should be able to sing and learn in the piano a few nursery rhymes.
    They could ride bikes with training wheels (in case they ever get to able riding bikes for kids)
    They could play in the sea similar to toddlers, wearing swimming floats, and you could have an adulto to teach them how to swim with help of kickboards.
    Adults would be able to play with little kids on horsback.

• SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    edited March 2020
    Well, the current Toddler stage feels like it takes care of ages 2-4 pretty well, even if it's in a very condensed sort of way (once the kid is potty trained, the preschool years are in full swing and they do almost everything you'd expect of a kid not yet old enough for school but too old to be a baby). However, I do think that a Preteen stage would be a good addition. Then, Child can officially be ages 5-9 (general elementary school age...and, yes, I count Kindergarten as the unofficial beginning of elementary school), while Preteens can take up ages 10-13 (general junior high/middle school age).

But, if I were to set out an ideal early life stage breakdown for a future Sims game, it would be something like this:

Baby - Birth to 11 months old: Learn to sit up, learn to crawl, learn object permanence, exhibit basal personality traits (fussiness vs. calmness, friendliness vs. standoffishness, curiosity vs. timidity, etc.), early speech (babbling, first simple word, etc.).

Toddler - 1 to 2 years old: Learn to walk; learn to speak (understandable words; sentence structure still not perfected); learn to use the potty; learn to sleep in their own bed (Similar to potty training...just for learning to sleep in a big kid bed. If you're a parent, you might have experienced this part.); learn shapes, letters, and numbers; learn early reading (letter sounds and simple 2 and 3 letter words) and simple addition with the aid of a parent and/or educational T.V./videos; hire a fancy aupair who can teach the kid Toddler and Preschooler skills (very expensive); fram tunelessly on instruments; scribble with crayons and paint with finger paints on paper, furniture, and walls.

Preschooler - 3 to 4 years old: Sleep in their own bed with little trouble (except the occasional nightmare or monster under the bed/in the closet...and bed-wetting for kids who didn't max the potty skill before aging up); speak full sentences; can learn to read, write, and do basic addition and subtraction with parental help and/or educational media; can be sent to preschool or stay home; hire a fancy aupair to teach the kid Preschooler skills and Elementary School Material (advanced addition and subtraction and multiplication tables, boosts the kid's starting grade for Elementary School and makes them a prime candidate for the fancy Private Academy); fram tunelessly on instruments; can learn to play an instrument with help from a parent or aupair; draw with crayons, sculpt with clay, make macaroni art, paint with finger paints, and other basic art projects; go on play dates; may be clumsy if walking skill wasn't maxed before age-up (the lower the skill level, the higher the possibility of clumsiness); may have a lisp or stutter if speech wasn't maxed (the lower the skill level, the higher the probability of speech irregularities).

Child - 5 to 9 years old: Go to school, learn musical instruments without adult help, paint on the easel, play various games (with and without the need for items) with friends, join a junior sports league, join the scouts, do school projects, enter the science fair, get in fights with other Child sims, have rivals and best friends, care for pets (walking the dog, cleaning the litter box, etc.), learn to cook with adult help, go to private school, be home schooled by a parent, fake sick, go to dance classes, learn basic coding, learn basic handiness, learn basic gardening skills.

Middleschooler - 10 to 13 years old: Go to middle school (public, home, or private) and all other child activities, get crushes, join cliques, easily embarrassed, join fandoms, parents set curfews.

Early Teen - 14 to 15 years old: The short teens some people miss, date, go to high school (public, home, or private), misc. after school activities (sports, dance, drama club, scouts, chess club, band, etc.), learn adult skills, Early Teens with high grades can apply to start college early.

Older Teen - 16 to 17 years old: Taller teens, all Early Teen activities (including early college) plus learning to drive and being able to move out on their own.

Now that would be interesting...
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.