Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Writers' Lounge - For All Games!

Comments

• AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    edited January 2018
    MadameLee wrote: »
    Why would Elizabeth before divorces Wyatt turn to drink? why does Juliet turn to drink?

@MadameLee Are you asking for a specific story of yours? Can you provide a little more context?
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • KarilanKarilan Posts: 2,935 Member
    I've done an update to my Blog today (h.t.t.p.s://bubblebruise.com/) and wanted to take the opportunity to ask a couple of questions. The main one is what's some good ways of self-promoting? This has never really been my strong point and I'm a bit lost as to where to start. Also, I wanted to ask whether anyone here has successfully made any money in relation to their blogs, is it something you can legitimately ask for donations towards or do you have to be a certain quality/have a certain amount of traffic to do this? The reason I ask is that while my blog is done out of my faith and forms the reason why I'm doing it, it'd be great if it were to receive a little amount of money. I've realised that it actually takes up a huge amount of my time doing it and if it were ever possible, I'd be able to use any income towards my own costs or charity-giving. What are your thoughts on these matters?

Hi @bubblebruise ! I have never monetized a writing blog before and as far as I've heard from some other writers it takes a vast amount of regular views to make it "worth" it considering the hours of work we all invest in writing. To be completely honest, it is a lot of hard work and sometimes luck to turn a hobby into a career, but if you are in it for the long haul there are plenty of good guides out there.

As far as asking for donations, it's not exactly uncommon in the online entertainment industry. I don't think there is any rules or etiquette about it...anyone is allowed to ask for donations via patreon or something similar but I'd caution against expecting it from people. In comparison, there is a lot of free entertainment out there that you would be competing with.

I used to run my own craft store, so I'll PM you with some other tips that might be relevant!
    D2vFwMN.jpg
    My hubby causes chaos in How To Live With Grace - - Pine Point tells Miranda Cole's survival tale - - Criminals build legacies in Glassbolt Prison
  • Simslover163Simslover163 Posts: 2,833 Member
    Bugsie2016 wrote: »
    So, question for those interested:
    How many lots do you use for your story? (Doesn't have to be an exact amount)

I never seem have enough lots for my teen story. All the worlds, except for Brindleton Bay, Granite Falls, and the Windenburg landmarks, have been revamped with lots downloaded from the gallery. Even though majority of the scenes in my story doesn't take place in my characters' houses, I want all the characters to have decent homes to live in. In addition, these houses would make my screenshots look nice.
    sEgXZ52.jpg
    Sims 3 Blog | Tales from Veronica L. Hopkins High | Camellia Treasures (Coming Soon)
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    Karilan wrote: »
    I haven't read the chapter yet, but I misunderstood your comment to mean you were bothered by the chapter but trying to convince yourself to like it...not that the like button itself wasn't working!

The misunderstanding made me heart race regarding what the chapter could be about! :sweat_smile:

Yeah ya did. You even commented....waiting to read about their date night. :grin:

Haha, sorry guys, me and my computer are confusing everyone tonight! :D

i still don't know what fluff nuggets are.

It’s something I came up with while hyped up on cold meds and tired! :p

good kar. people are going to get confused i usually call you bad kar. but you answered me and i saw Brian today.(thats why i was late just got here.) so i'm in great mood.
  • simscognitosimscognito Posts: 16,599 Member

That's a tough question. I'm not entirely sure. I might have to go with the good old fashioned way of counting and say many and since my characters are going to be doing a lot of travelling, there's going to be many more. :D
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    I don't know if people are still answering this question anymore, but I'm going to do so because I like it so much.

Question Do you guys gets inspired to included or reference songs/books/movies that you listened to/read/watched in your SimLit?

Oh yes - my Alien Adoption Challenge is heavily influenced by punk music (which means I've been listening to a lot of different songs, and a lot of those show up in lyrics or even in some of the storylines). One of the chapters I wrote was also heavily inspired by a short story called "Concerning the Bodyguard." And in fact, I was inspired to start writing the story after rewatching one of my favorite TV shows (though that's a secret, for now), and Wendy was named after Wendy O Williams (and also Wendy O Koopa from Mario, which is how I first learned about Wendy O Williams)

As for my legacy challenge, there have been a couple of references to songs and books, a lot of time in the chapter titles. One of the early chapters was inspired by fairy tales, and I know there are some references to Terry Pratchett coming up (and there might have already been some?). And then also musicals - my 3rd generation (which I'm in the middle of writing right now) is heavily influenced by a few different musiclas. I'm not a huge fan of Seinfeld, but I think there are some chapters that have been inspired by things on that show. And then Tales of the City by Armistead Maupin. I also tend to name the children after something relating to the heir's aspiration, and since Snapdragon's aspiration is master mixologist, his children are all named after alcoholic drinks. There's definitely some Yoko Ono references thrown in (because duh) and there are definitely a few references to House on Mango Street (which I read with my students while writing some early rounds). Also AbFab and Strangers with Candy.

So yes - I definitely take a lot of different ideas and throw them into my stories - some are a lot more obvious than others, and sometimes they're as simple as me making a forgery of the style. I don't know if it makes me a better writer or a worse writer or it doesn't matter, but sometimes it makes the writing more fun (or at least figuring out a name for chapters way more fun).

@superkyle221 I love all your references and 'style forgery' in the Alien Apoption challenge. It makes it more fun to read, because I can feel so smug when I know what you're drawing on. Moreover, it adds an extra layer of depth, because I notice you do everything for a reason and so, as the reader, we're encouraged to make connections between a variety of works while reading your story, which is one of my favourite things to do.

• MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,748 Member
    @AdamsEve1231 I'm writing a lengthy description of every single Generation of my Swanson Legacy for a bowling team member of mine. I know that Elizabeth and Juliet turn to drink during a part of their story/their childrens' story. Elizabeth I think turns to drink because of her catching her husband woohooing with the in-house nanny who is also a second cousin once removed to Elizabeth. Juliet turns to drink I guess because of having to give up one of her children?
    6adMCGP.gif
  • BBQPenguinWingsBBQPenguinWings Posts: 3,773 Member
    CathyTea wrote: »
    I know this might be an old topic but I want to chime in on the game tips mentioning the club system. I love the club system for my legacy. I use it in a few ways, to get some gardening help is a big one (my legacy has a hugeee garden with lots of maxed plants so that money isn't an issue). They have a gardener but the garden is so big that sometimes my founder and the gardener can't complete it in one day.

Eventually i will remove most of them except the big sellers but my founder loves to garden so for now she can keep it. Her kids aren't too much into it so I will save them from having to deal with such a big task when it's their time lol. But for now their clubs and their parents clubs chip in.

My biggest use for them in my legacy is for my heir and 2 spares to do their homework and this is important in a legacy, meet potential spouses. My heir is in a club i which i changed the age rules each time she grew. And i added all her male friends to them. I dont have any romantic rules atm but I just allow them to be friends (as well as her sisters) that way they can choose romance on their own from an established group of childhood friends.

Wooo that was a lot sorry!

This is such a great tip! I've seen others use it , and I used it a bit to get Max Villarreal to do his homework in an ISBI-ish game, but you've inspired me to use it in the dogacy ! Poor Lucas is really struggling to keep up with six dogs! Wish we could have a dog-walking club !

And it's lovely to see you here today ! <3

Thanks CT!

And that would be great if they had care for pets rules for clubs, do they? I guess not. But a dog walking club would be so fun!
  • BBQPenguinWingsBBQPenguinWings Posts: 3,773 Member
    @BBQPenguinWings My current heir runs a farm, which ended up being a lot more work than I expected, and having a gardening club has been incredible. I do have to harvest everything before starting a club gathering, though. Have you found any other work around to stop the club from stealing all your veggies?

@Bugsie2016 Glad I'm not the only one who made a bigger house haha!

My legacies often only use 1 lot, and I occasionally visit other lots.
    Pine Point now uses...I don't remember, I think 8 different lots? I ran out of large lots so I'm making use of entire neighborhoods now haha!
    @superkyle221 you're making me want to read your legacy challenge.

I highly recommend reading the legacy! It has some interesting and thought provoking themes!

I just harvest all before I invite them as well. Wish it would go into your inventory but I suppose since they can do it on public gardens lots it would kinda be rude to take their harvest lol
    I know this might be an old topic but I want to chime in on the game tips mentioning the club system. I love the club system for my legacy. I use it in a few ways, to get some gardening help is a big one (my legacy has a hugeee garden with lots of maxed plants so that money isn't an issue). They have a gardener but the garden is so big that sometimes my founder and the gardener can't complete it in one day.

Eventually i will remove most of them except the big sellers but my founder loves to garden so for now she can keep it. Her kids aren't too much into it so I will save them from having to deal with such a big task when it's their time lol. But for now their clubs and their parents clubs chip in.

My biggest use for them in my legacy is for my heir and 2 spares to do their homework and this is important in a legacy, meet potential spouses. My heir is in a club i which i changed the age rules each time she grew. And i added all her male friends to them. I dont have any romantic rules atm but I just allow them to be friends (as well as her sisters) that way they can choose romance on their own from an established group of childhood friends.

This is such a great tip! I've seen others use it , and I used it a bit to get Max Villarreal to do his homework in an ISBI-ish game, but you've inspired me to use it in the dogacy ! Poor Lucas is really struggling to keep up with six dogs! Wish we could have a dog-walking club !

Thanks CT!

And that would be great if they had care for pets rules for clubs, do they? I guess not. But a dog walking club would be so fun!

Count me in for a dog walking club. :blush: There probably should be a part-time job too where a teen sim can volunteer to walk people's dogs.
  • lisabee2lisabee2 Posts: 3,708 Member

Thanks CT!

Count me in for a dog walking club. :blush: There probably should be a part-time job too where a teen sim can volunteer to walk people's dogs.

That would be an awesome mod .. maybe we should drop LittleMsSam a note .. she has been doing some amazing mod work lately!

OH and @BBQPenguinWings .. I am with you I use the club system for everything (even weddings and parties .. much more reliable than the regular party system)
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    New readers can visit here first: In-a-NUTSHELL
    #EAgamechanger
  • ForgottenPixelsForgottenPixels Posts: 11,376 Member
    I'm back...again! I've been binge playing GTW (Taking advantage of the sale! ) So...did I miss anything?
  • KarilanKarilan Posts: 2,935 Member
    I'm back...again! I've been binge playing GTW (Taking advantage of the sale! ) So...did I miss anything?

Welcome back! How are you liking GTW?

I LOVED Open For Business but found GTW's pace much slower. I spend all day helping just 2 customers. :(
    D2vFwMN.jpg
    My hubby causes chaos in How To Live With Grace - - Pine Point tells Miranda Cole's survival tale - - Criminals build legacies in Glassbolt Prison
  • ForgottenPixelsForgottenPixels Posts: 11,376 Member
    edited January 2018

Welcome back! How are you liking GTW?

I LOVED Open For Business but found GTW's pace much slower. I spend all day helping just 2 customers. :(

I mainly bought it for CAS and Build/Buy mode items! :lol: I've been exploring as an Alien Medical Intern with a mini-story! (I don't normally come up with stories but this one is too good!) I also created a sim to run a retail store. Made some breadsticks and built a room! I've had a lot of fun!!

Edit: I nearly forgot, I used a cheat to turn the landgraabs into aliens and 'cause i have the control pet mod I tested if I could turn a dog into an alien. It worked but I turned it back so it wouldn't break my game or anything!! :lol:
  • LegacySims2017LegacySims2017 Posts: 5,226 Member
    I recently YouTubed the Sims 4 group dances to see what they were like. Too funny!!

@Simslover163 @SoulGal7 @CathyTea @friendsfan367 @simscognito @Karilan @Everyone
    plan to see some group dancing in the fantastically video chapter of my #BuildNewcrest Simself Legacy. Expect to recognize some sim selfies jamming it! :grimace:
    Visit LegacySims.net!
    pol-reese.gif
    (Twitter Me: LSims2017)
    well today I tried 2 different candy bars which I only have heard OF but never actually had and I liked the one better then the other.
    6adMCGP.gif
    I recently YouTubed the Sims 4 group dances to see what they were like. Too funny!!

@Simslover163 @SoulGal7 @CathyTea @friendsfan367 @simscognito @Karilan @Everyone
    plan to see some group dancing in the fantastically video chapter of my #BuildNewcrest Simself Legacy. Expect to recognize some sim selfies jamming it! :grimace:

@LegacySims2017 Must see that! :D
  • LegacySims2017LegacySims2017 Posts: 5,226 Member
    well today I tried 2 different candy bars which I only have heard OF but never actually had and I liked the one better then the other.

Tease! What 2 candy bars? lol :lol:
    Visit LegacySims.net!
    pol-reese.gif
    (Twitter Me: LSims2017)

@Bugsie2016 Hello! I've not actually played with the Landgraabs, myself. In fact, I barely notice them in my game. :D Ooh turning them into aliens sounds fun! I might try that! :D

OMG Trust you to turn dogs into aliens! I wonder if they had special alien powers of their own too.
    @simscognito so is that ironic is that America's husband whose is a Landgraab is half-alien his dad was an alien.
    6adMCGP.gif
    @simscognito so is that ironic is that America's husband whose is a Landgraab is half-alien his dad was an alien.

@MadameLee Oh yay, you've done it for me! I thought I'd have to start a new game, since most of the original townies are long dead in my current game. :D

@MadameLee Oh yay, you've done it for me! I thought I'd have to start a new game, since most of the original townies are long dead in my current game. :D

the David's dad (I forget his name I changed it via the simmer's request) was one of the sims @Rainydayz179 'donated' for my legacy (for Hannah to "Date")
    6adMCGP.gif
    I can't believe I tried 2 candybars today.
    6adMCGP.gif
    @MadameLee ooh what were the flavours?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top