Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What happened to the "Eco Living" theme that the Laundry Day Stuff Pack was supposed to be about?

Comments

• BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    I can understand people voting for Eco living. I will never understand how one can be excited for a laundry machine.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    I'm going to buy the pack to make builds that include laundry, ranging from laundromats to stores to trailer homes that have the tacky clothesline setup, lol. I'll probably tweak OR cabin builds with some rustic washtubs too.

And if we get a 'paint drying' SP, I'll gladly buy the pack all the different wall colorings, paint cans for Home Depot stores, and the chairs to sit on while watching said paint dry.

Am I the only one around here that doesn't limit my experience of packs to the click-menu that triggers a Sims animation? :p
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I'm going to buy the pack to make builds that include laundry, ranging from laundromats to stores to trailer homes that have the tacky clothesline setup, lol. I'll probably tweak OR cabin builds with some rustic washtubs too.

And if we get a 'paint drying' SP, I'll gladly buy the pack all the different wall colorings, paint cans for Home Depot stores, and the chairs to sit on while watching said paint dry.

Am I the only one around here that doesn't limit my experience of packs to the click-menu that triggers a Sims animation? :p

No im a builder too. But seeing as we aren't getting a new venue type to my knowledge I don't see the point in building a laundromat as the only people who will come and do laundry is your sims. For me part of the enjoyment of creating is seeing sims make use out of the items. I can see the appeal of adding laundry facilities to home builds but as a game play item laundry isn't exciting or fun. It's a chore.
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    I buy packs based on the build/buy stuff for my creating. There are a few exceptions, one being Vampires, which I love.

It sounds to me like what we are getting is a combo-pack of part Eco-living (laundry) and part Starter Home stuff (pre-owned furniture and clothing).
  • LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
    Movotti wrote: »
    We're never going to get an eco living pack. We are stuck with a laundry pack. The whole voting was a sham.

It's a sham because we didn't get what you wanted?

It's a sham because we were voting for an eco friendly themed pack, NOT a laundry pack.
    If it had been called a laundry pack from the start, we would have had the opportunity to vote for other things.

You do realize this is how the actual dev process is correct? They big a broad subject and then narrow it down to a more focused one.

We were also aware laundry would be a possibility if we picked eco living from day 1, so its not a sham just because your vote didnt win.

It's amazing how you seem to be conveniently ignoring my reply to your first comment... this pack was originally announced to be an Eco Living AND Laundry stuff pack... but there's absolutely nothing in this pack that's even related to Eco Living.
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    there's absolutely nothing in this pack that's even related to Eco Living.
    This.

If they were going to include some eco friendly laundry related stuff, they could at least have included the pedal powered washing machine. Washing clothes in a tub is just glorifying poverty. It seems a bit cruel.

And to keep in the theme of eco, they could have also included a composter. Half the animation for it comes from putting garbage/scraps in bin, so it's not as though it would have been a lot of work animation wise, only a bit of rejigging plant growth stuff.

And solar panels. Outwardly little more than decor, but with a little tweek, they could have lowered your utility bills.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    We're never going to get an eco living pack. We are stuck with a laundry pack. The whole voting was a sham.

It's a sham for the following reasons:

a) Voting was suspect - the vote for the theme was ranked, but everything else was first past the post. I doubt the eco theme would have won if the rest of the voting was this way, and it's doubtful that laundry won if the voting had been consistent from the beginning.
    b) The guru told people to vote for laundry
    c) Laundry was included in both eco living and home life stuff
    d) Laundry is not, nor has it ever been, eco friendly (detergent harms the environment and is killing the Orcas in Puget Sound)

Also, laundry is a terrible idea for a pack. I mean, people are really going to spend $10 to do imaginary laundry? If we do another community pack, I'm assuming people will also explain how $10 isn't that much to spend on a pack that involves paint drying. People have also tried to claim that "everybody has a washing machine and a dryer in their house" but that is patently false - I have to go to the laundromat if I want to do laundry, so laundry is, in fact, entirely unrealistic for my sims.

First of all, a Guru never said vote laundry. People were asking Graham about laundry and he told them theyd have to vote for it if they wanted it. Please dont spread false information.

Second, no it wasnt.

Third, the hand wash and dry is very eco friendly. Especially with cold water. I wash my clothes in the tub with cold water and hang them to dry most of the time.

I'm not going to even try to argue with you about why people find laundry interesting. Its another chore to do in the sims. We do it in real life all the time.

But people want to be self centered and entitled and think a vote was rigged just because they didnt get what they wanted, and then attack other simmerss because we voted for what WE found interesting.

It is a 10 dollar pack, there will be plenty more. If you dont like it then dont buy it, and stop attacking people who do.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png

No im a builder too. But seeing as we aren't getting a new venue type to my knowledge I don't see the point in building a laundromat as the only people who will come and do laundry is your sims. For me part of the enjoyment of creating is seeing sims make use out of the items. I can see the appeal of adding laundry facilities to home builds but as a game play item laundry isn't exciting or fun. It's a chore.

Which is exactly why I want it. Its a chore. I want more for my stay at home mothers to do, or single parents. Taking care of two toddlers, doing dishes, cooking cleaning etc. Make it a struggle that feels rewarding when they grow up and its time to relax.

My rich sims will just hire maids to do it. Helps set them apart from poor sims.
    edited January 2018

It's a sham because we were voting for an eco friendly themed pack, NOT a laundry pack.
    If it had been called a laundry pack from the start, we would have had the opportunity to vote for other things.

You do realize this is how the actual dev process is correct? They big a broad subject and then narrow it down to a more focused one.

We were also aware laundry would be a possibility if we picked eco living from day 1, so its not a sham just because your vote didnt win.

It's amazing how you seem to be conveniently ignoring my reply to your first comment... this pack was originally announced to be an Eco Living AND Laundry stuff pack... but there's absolutely nothing in this pack that's even related to Eco Living.

No it wasnt. It was labelled as an eco friendly pack, with laundry as a possible area of focus, as well as many others.

And the wash tub and dryer are eco friendly, like it or not.
    there's absolutely nothing in this pack that's even related to Eco Living.
    This.

If they were going to include some eco friendly laundry related stuff, they could at least have included the pedal powered washing machine. Washing clothes in a tub is just glorifying poverty. It seems a bit cruel.

And to keep in the theme of eco, they could have also included a composter. Half the animation for it comes from putting garbage/scraps in bin, so it's not as though it would have been a lot of work animation wise, only a bit of rejigging plant growth stuff.

And solar panels. Outwardly little more than decor, but with a little tweek, they could have lowered your utility bills.

Wash tubs and hangers ARE eco friendly. And they are still very common, especially in the south.

I hand wash my clothes, despite being literally 20 feet from my apartments laundromat. Guess that makes me povershed. :|
    To the people who argue that the glorified poverty hand washing is "Eco friendly"...
    If this "Eco Pack" had arrived with 5 tractors and one rickshaw, I assume you would all argue that it's an Eco Pack?

Which is exactly why I want it. Its a chore. I want more for my stay at home mothers to do, or single parents. Taking care of two toddlers, doing dishes, cooking cleaning etc. Make it a struggle that feels rewarding when they grow up and its time to relax.

My rich sims will just hire maids to do it. Helps set them apart from poor sims.

Assuming that maids and butlers will do laundry that is. Would be an oversight if they didn't, guess we will find out at the livestream.

I see what you are saying but my stay at home parent sims have things to do. Have you seen how long it takes them to shower? Lol. I play the sims to escape the drudgery of domestic chores not to do them.
    Yeah.. Sims take 10 minutes sneezing. They take 20 minutes walking across the livingroom to the shower. Another 40 minutes to shower...
    Finding stuff for them to do is the least of my problems. Finding time to do anything at all is the biggest one.
  • MissCherieMissCherie Posts: 408 Member
    We were never given a real choice, they gave us the illusion that we had the ''power'' to decide, but they are not dumb, they knew laundry would win no matter what the other choices was, a real choice would have been if laundry wasn't in it. That sucks for people that voted Eco-living cause they wanted Eco-living, but unfortunately nothing will change that it was written from the start that the pack would be focused on laundry.

If people didn't want a pack focused on laundry they should have voted for any other theme.

They didn't follow the chosen theme, but not enough people realize that (or care), people are too happy to finally have laundry so they don't care that the theme isn't even the theme that was voted.

That was all a waste of potential, once again.
    gCQKjq4.png
  • TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    Still Laundry will still win because many liked it. Even if they at this at starter home pack that theme will win just for the laundry. Put laundry under the wedding one? It is still going to win.
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    edited January 2018
    Well I am sort of disappointed because I thought eco living would be something different. I do want laundry in the game but this wasn't really the pack for it.

Having said all that, NO ONE can get mad at EA for this one. This was a community vote and the chips fell where they fell. I hope they NEVER EVER do another community vote again because the theme doesn't even make sense anymore.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,837 Member

@TheGoodOldGamer I'm so glad you're back. I missed you. :p
    keekee53 wrote: »
    Well I am sort of disappointed because I thought eco living would be something different. I do want laundry in the game but this wasn't really the pack for it.

Having said all that, NO ONE can get mad at EA for this one. This was a community vote and the chips fell where they fell. I hope they NEVER EVER do another community vote again because the theme doesn't even make sense anymore.

I agree they shouldn't do another community vote, but I do blame EA partly, they knew fine well people wanted laundry. Graham also said on Twitter on sept 6th 2016 he would love to do a laundry sp and people needed to make some noise on that one.

So when the community vote came out? Laundry was in there shoehorned in with a theme it didn't really belong in. The only way laundry would be eco friendly as if they had no intention of including washing machines and driers and sticking to wringers, basins and clothes lines but somehow I think if EA had just made that and skipped modern laundry there would have been an uproar. If laundry had been placed in a theme called sims stare at the wall and get a moodlet" people would have bought it because they wanted laundry, they didn't care about the extras as long as they got modern washing machines and driers. Pitched against several other ideas it was an easy way to ensure laundry won, some people don't like the unfamiliar and laundry was a safe bet.

I knew from the second laundry was announced that theme would win, I also knew that it was never going to be a eco friendly pack with laundry at the fore front. News to EA; adding a wash basin to wash clothes manually doesn't "tick" the eco friendly part of this pack. It's just a poor attempt to say "look it's eco friendly!" The reality is there are so many better eco friendly ideas and concepts but we will never get them.
  • Simulator4Simulator4 Posts: 652 Member
    We're getting laundry. End of story. Just let it go.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member

Are there no laundromats? :o
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • MorticiaBlack7MorticiaBlack7 Posts: 130 Member
    While I'm happy that we are getting laundry to wash our dirty underwear I actually asked that the other day. Remember the time when this was eco-friendly stuff pack? Lol. Seriously did EA forget what they were doing....originally?

Nope. Just for reference, here's how the original options went:

LHuI9sP.jpg

Domestic responsibilities and laundry were included as options, right from the start. As was 'potential' areas, not guaranteed.

I didn't vote, because I had a break from the sims back then and now this is the first time I actually see the voting options. So thank you for posting this!
    Anyway, while I enjoyed the trailer of Laundry pack, I'm really surprised that THIS is what people consider the best part of life :D Not wedding and dangers of life, or even hanging out with your friends, but... laundry. It seems like it just was meant to be the outcome...
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

Are there no laundromats? :o

No. Unless you build one but there's not a new venue type for a laundromat so sadly no guarantee doing laundry away from home is a possibility and townie sims won't use it or visit unles you make it a bar lol
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    MissCherie wrote: »
    We were never given a real choice, they gave us the illusion that we had the ''power'' to decide, but they are not dumb, they knew laundry would win no matter what the other choices was, a real choice would have been if laundry wasn't in it. That plum for people that voted Eco-living cause they wanted Eco-living, but unfortunately nothing will change that it was written from the start that the pack would be focused on laundry.

If people didn't want a pack focused on laundry they should have voted for any other theme.

They didn't follow the chosen theme, but not enough people realize that (or care), people are too happy to finally have laundry so they don't care that the theme isn't even the theme that was voted.

Yes, I thought exactly about it the same way. It's really saddening, I really wanted solar panels and water saving options but we didn't get them.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Bluebeard45Bluebeard45 Posts: 3,889 Member
    So this so called Evo Living will be broken down into several stuff packs.Costing us more money and EA gets richer.Sounds good to me.

Assuming that maids and butlers will do laundry that is. Would be an oversight if they didn't, guess we will find out at the livestream.

I see what you are saying but my stay at home parent sims have things to do. Have you seen how long it takes them to shower? Lol. I play the sims to escape the drudgery of domestic chores not to do them.

Try a brisk shower. In my experience theyre quicker. ;)

I'm also one of the weird people that find laundry relaxing irl, probably since I have fond memories of a kid of helping out my mother.

Ps: no I won't come do your laundry. :p
  • DominicLaurenceDominicLaurence Posts: 3,398 Member
    edited January 2018
    MissCherie wrote: »
    We were never given a real choice, they gave us the illusion that we had the ''power'' to decide, but they are not dumb, they knew laundry would win no matter what the other choices was, a real choice would have been if laundry wasn't in it. That plum for people that voted Eco-living cause they wanted Eco-living, but unfortunately nothing will change that it was written from the start that the pack would be focused on laundry.

If I could turn back tiime ♫
    ID: StGerris
    Legacy Photomode
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top