Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Dogs' Obsession With Fireplaces is Getting Out of Hand

Since my favorite couple adopted two dogs, I've noticed that they each share a similar obsession.

Lit fireplaces.

They spend more time staring at them than literally anything else. As soon as one of my sims is done playing with one of them, he runs to the fireplace to stare at it. As soon as they come in from a walk, they give the same treatment to the fireplace in the living room. Sure, they also hang out in the oversized upstairs bathroom (where one of them spends a lot of time drinking from the toilet), but soon enough, they get sick of that and return to the crackling fire. They also seem to enjoy challenging it to a duel by barking at it.

You might think this is a complaint, but on the contrary, I find it hilarious that they can't stop their addiction to fire. They're like little kids at a fireworks show. Or worse, because the fireplace is only centimeters away from their noses.

J3zE93A.png
KFxp6vi.png
nQvbFjS.png
pWGa350.png

Comments

• So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited January 2018
    This is like my dog in real life, except he does an immediate beeline for the fireplace and lies down in front of it--belly first. Then he gets too hot and looks at us like, "Turn this 🐸🐸🐸🐸 thing off!"
  • catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    That is too funny!!
  • LaPetiteFromageLaPetiteFromage Posts: 12 New Member
    Hahaha I love that second screenshot. This is hilarious.
  • ladybreidladybreid Posts: 3,455 Member
    1. I think it is funny
    2. I just realized that in sims 4 I never play with the fireplaces :/
    3. Since I never use fire places I don't know, is it a bug with every dog or just that household?
    wz3Vdbh.jpg
    Saying "not to be rude", then blatently being rude does not excuse rude behavior.
  • PlagueRavenPlagueRaven Posts: 52 Member
    edited January 2018
    ladybreid wrote: »
    1. I think it is funny
    3. Since I never use fire places I don't know, is it a bug with every dog or just that household?

1. Me too. They watch the fireplaces like humans watch TV.
    2. Fireplaces are awesome, but if you do decide to install one, make absolutely certain you install a Fireguard upgrade... unless you want fires to happen.
    3. I can't say for sure if it's a bug. I think it's just part of the pets themselves. One of them goes crazy whenever the dishwasher runs, and the other one hates the stereo. I think it's just their personalities, and in that case, I hope it's not a bug. In a way, I'd be sad if they stopped obsessing over it.
  • NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    All my dogs seem to develop a fear of fireplaces much to my disgust. So they cower and whimper in the corner. :s
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    ladybreid wrote: »
    1. I think it is funny

All pets have hidden obsessions and fears, so it's part of the gameplay.
  • MettsenMettsen Posts: 185 Member
    My So's sim cat also has a deep and unquestionable love for a lit fireplace. She's such a happy kitty when she has toasty warm toesies <3
  • ShadowGirl2017ShadowGirl2017 Posts: 41 Member
    I don't turn my sims' fireplace on due to the fact that I'm afraid the entire house will burn down. But that's pretty unlikely, right?
    I usually let my sims have their imaginary friends but once they become teenagers the imaginary friends get in the way. I never learn. B)
  • PlagueRavenPlagueRaven Posts: 52 Member
    I don't turn my sims' fireplace on due to the fact that I'm afraid the entire house will burn down. But that's pretty unlikely, right?

It doesn't happen with a Fireguard upgrade.
    Not in my experience anyway. I once tested it without having the Fireguard upgrade to see what would happen. It started a fire the same day I bought the fireplace. Once I upgraded it with Fireguard, a fire never happened, neither in the living room or the bedroom where I each have fireplaces. And I've had them a while.
  • joyfulsimmerjoyfulsimmer Posts: 50 Member

It doesn't happen with a Fireguard upgrade.
    Not in my experience anyway. I once tested it without having the Fireguard upgrade to see what would happen. It started a fire the same day I bought the fireplace. Once I upgraded it with Fireguard, a fire never happened, neither in the living room or the bedroom where I each have fireplaces. And I've had them a while.

What is the fireguard upgrade?
  • kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    you can upgrade just about every plumbing, appliance, or electronic item you buy if your sims have high enough handiness skill and the appropriate parts. fireplaces have two upgrades: autolight (any time a sim enters the room with a fire place, it turns on, and when they leave, it turns off) and fireguard (makes it less likely for the fireplace to start a fire)

mind you, be very careful with placing things too close to the fireplace, even with fireguard installed. one of my households had a rug just a wee bit close for comfort and it would occasionally catch fire even with the upgrade installed. mostly if sims decided to put empty dishes right on the edge closest to the fireplace
  • Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member
    That's so cool that your Sims dogs are obsessed with the fireplace @PlagueRaven. My dogs are always scared of the fireplace which is quite annoying....they literally just sit there and shake.