Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 2 Primer: Avoiding Game and Neighborhood Corruption

Comments

• M13VulpeculaM13Vulpecula Posts: 19,715 Member
    @Scribal_Goddess I really like and appreciate the work you're putting in this thread and making it a solid information source for questions. :) Looking forward to part 3 and more tutorials coming soon. :+1::smiley:
    Banner.png
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    Ah, thanks @Rflong7 , I had a look at those yesterday :)
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Scribal_GoddessScribal_Goddess Posts: 748 Member
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    @Pary wrote: »
    JULES1111 wrote: »
    Maybe making their own townies? I know there are some tutorials... I'm not sure which are up to date though. It might help some- make pets, townies, NPCs, with mods and without, if you want. :)

Oh I like this idea. I never made my own townies before! :)

Yes I'd like to populate hoods with my own townies too so an up to date tutorial would be awesome if you wanted to, thank you!

Oh P.S, do you have links to the most up to date clean hood templates too please?
    I've been considering using a Mega / Uberhood as well and would like to know if anyone knows where to get one that is current.

I think these are the best in cleaned up neighborhood files- http://meetme2theriver.livejournal.com/63030.html

I know there is a Good Uber-hood but I don't remember which one... :(

To my knowledge, this is the most recent uberhood.

I make townies relatively frequently, so if I can get some pics that could be a good next tutorial. I also need to check if it can be done via Boolprop as well as SimPE and the Summon Shrub...
    Patron Goddess of Newbs and Ninnyhammers.
    TS2 Graphics Fix Tutorial]
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,584 Member
    How about... How to get the Sims 2 UC to run on Your Computer. Put all the info on one post for ease of linking. Would love it stickied, too. :)
    How about... How to get the Sims 2 UC to run on Your Computer. Put all the info on one post for ease of linking. Would love it stickied, too. :)

It would be an entire thread of me telling people to google Leefish... XD
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,584 Member

It would be an entire thread of me telling people to google Leefish... XD

True but without direct links not many can find it and then there are more than 1 topics for config files (old/new/betweeen) and what if they... aand so on. ;)
  • theFellatheFella Posts: 297 Member
    edited December 2017
    Another question relating to University content, which I have never really dabbled in too much. using the Resurrect-O-Nomitron, is it possible to resurrect pre-made dead Sims who have existing graves such as the Goth ancestors and Michael Bachelor? I know, not completely relevant, but I did not feel this merit's its own discussion so I will ask here.
    MeanBrilliantArrowworm-size_restricted.gif
  • AnmirlaAnmirla Posts: 3,835 Member
    edited December 2017
    theFella wrote: »
    Another question relating to University content, which I have never really dabbled in too much. using the Resurrect-O-Nomitron, is it possible to resurrect pre-made dead Sims who have existing graves such as the Goth ancestors and Michael Bachelor? I know, not completely relevant, but I did not feel this merit's its own discussion so I will ask here.

The method of resurrection doesn't matter. The character files still need to be complete and correct to avoid corruption. The suggestion to use clean hood templates from meetme2theriver is your best chance to be able to raise the dead.

Another way to resurrect is the Genie lamp. I can't remember if it's only the lamp that allows you to resurrect without a gravestone, only needing the Sim to have known the deceased. With the lamp though, bringing back a Zombie is random. So if you don't want a Zombie make sure you save before making a wish so you can exit without saving in case you don't get the results you desire.

baby%20bat_zpsgzvzhrnc.gif
    Anmirla wrote: »

The method of resurrection doesn't matter. The character files still need to be complete and correct to avoid corruption. The suggestion to use clean hood templates from meetme2theriver is your best chance to be able to raise the dead.

Another way to resurrect is the Genie lamp. I can't remember if it's only the lamp that allows you to resurrect without a gravestone, only needing the Sim to have known the deceased. With the lamp though, bringing back a Zombie is random. So if you don't want a Zombie make sure you save before making a wish so you can exit without saving in case you don't get the results you desire.

And I assume that the people with no character files are ancestral Sims with no grave n the game, such as the Newbies?
  • AnmirlaAnmirla Posts: 3,835 Member
    Anmirla wrote: »

And I assume that the people with no character files are ancestral Sims with no grave n the game, such as the Newbies?

Not necessarily. There might be a list of Sims with incomplete character files out there without having to go through them in SimPE. But I could swear many of the ones (even with gravestones) from the 3 base hoods were botched in one way or another.
    baby%20bat_zpsgzvzhrnc.gif
    edited December 2017

Only if they have complete and functional character files. Not all ancestral sims do. Use the wiki to check - but there are often sims that not enough has been written down about to tell. When in doubt, use a cleaned template, because those were made without any of the weird shortcuts that the developers used to kill off sims.

The only way to tell if a sim in an un-cleaned neighborhood has proper character files is to poke around in simPE. Generally speaking, sims with no relationships, or DNA, or which are not flagged as a playable and deceased cannot be resurrected.
  • slynnskislynnski Posts: 2,316 Member
    edited December 2017
    So — are the Tricous safe to resurrect? I’ve never done it before, but I want to.

I googled, but found no solid information. Rumors indicate they ARE safe to resurrect, but I’d like to be sure, if at all possible.
    slynnski wrote: »
    So — are the Tricous safe to resurrect? I’ve never done it before, but I want to.

I googled, but found no solid information. Rumors indicate they ARE safe to resurrect, but I’d like to be sure, if at all possible.

I'm about 90% certain that Rainelle Neengia is safe to resurrect, I'd have to have a look at the Tricous. The fact that they have graves and that Rainelle died of fright (indicating that they have working ghosts) suggests that they were not given death tokens. Rainelle appears, according to the Wiki, to have the appropriate memories and personality points of a CAS sim. So do the Tricous, so I'd say it's worth making the experiment in a tester neighborhood.
  • slynnskislynnski Posts: 2,316 Member
    I'm about 90% certain that Rainelle Neengia is safe to resurrect, I'd have to have a look at the Tricous. The fact that they have graves and that Rainelle died of fright (indicating that they have working ghosts) suggests that they were not given death tokens. Rainelle appears, according to the Wiki, to have the appropriate memories and personality points of a CAS sim. So do the Tricous, so I'd say it's worth making the experiment in a tester neighborhood.

Thanks a bunch! I already planned to create a separate hood for my Tricou gameplay so that works perfectly.

Thank you for all of your hard work and help on this subject matter. :)
    Not an update, but I'm probably going to have to do multiple parts for the Boolprop tutorial, or it's going to be loooong...
  • janemera96janemera96 Posts: 2 New Member
    This thread is really appreciated! About a few months ago, I received the Ultimate Collection from Origin and so far, no corruption has appeared. However, I recently found out that the physiology skill is bugged because one of my sims maxed the body skill in less than a minute and apparently it has a lot to do with Mansion and Garden Stuff breaking the patch. Which does make me wonder, can bugs lead to corruption?
  • JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    janemera96 wrote: »
    This thread is really appreciated! About a few months ago, I received the Ultimate Collection from Origin and so far, no corruption has appeared. However, I recently found out that the physiology skill is bugged because one of my sims maxed the body skill in less than a minute and apparently it has a lot to do with Mansion and Garden Stuff breaking the patch. Which does make me wonder, can bugs lead to corruption?

No bugs don't lead to corruption. There is actually a mod out there somewhere (forget where off the top of my head) that actually fixes this bug.
    edited January 2018

Bugs like this do not. They don't lead to data from the game being attached to the wrong things, they just max out body skill. Generally, game corruption is a case of sim data attaching to the wrong sim or lot, or being partially deleted. (Occasionally it's hack conflicts that bork your game a completely different way, but generally speaking, in a vanilla game corruption is from sim or NPC character files being messed up somehow.)

To clarify: this bug doesn't actually alter the sim themselves, it just makes the game calculate how fast you should earn body skill wrongly.
  • lulubadwolflulubadwolf Posts: 630 Member
    edited February 2018

Bugs like this do not. They don't lead to data from the game being attached to the wrong things, they just max out body skill. Generally, game corruption is a case of sim data attaching to the wrong sim or lot, or being partially deleted. (Occasionally it's hack conflicts that bork your game a completely different way, but generally speaking, in a vanilla game corruption is from sim or NPC character files being messed up somehow.)

To clarify: this bug doesn't actually alter the sim themselves, it just makes the game calculate how fast you should earn body skill wrongly.

Well then my neighbourhood is corrupted, or Denise Jaquet have a bad case of Alzheimer. Each time her son Gilbert is getting married, she get the memory that " Thomas Masson (a downtownie that she don't even know) Got Married" instead of "Gilbert Got Married". I've quit without saving twice, and each time that i've try to marry her son, she got this Thomas Masson Got Married --'

Well then my neighbourhood is corrupted, or Denise Jaquet have a bad case of Alzheimer. Each time her son Gilbert is getting married, she get the memory that " Thomas Masson (a downtownie that she don't even know) Got Married" instead of "Gilbert Got Married". I've quit without saving twice, and each time that i've try to marry her son, she got this Thomas Masson Got Married --'

This is worrying. However, Denise is a premade, and some of them have incorrectly assigned family relations. I haven't found anything in a quick google that confirms that other people have had this problem with her in a fresh neighborhood, but she does have a deceased sim in her immediate family relations that she doesn't appear to have correctly assigned memories of. So it might not be something that you did, it could be a pre-existng issue that turned up early for you.

I've plugged the MeetMe2theRiver clean neighborhoods a lot in this thread, but honestly, if you're serious about playing premade neighborhoods for multiple generations, they're the best way for you to avoid these things without needing any technical knowledge about the game beyond how to correctly install a download.
    I haven't done anything that could have create corruption (except playing with the premade), it's a custom neighbourhood, but i didn't think about adding the clean neighbourhood from MeetMe2theRiver (i need to read again how to add them).
    I haven't done anything that could have create corruption (except playing with the premade), it's a custom neighbourhood, but i didn't think about adding the clean neighbourhood from MeetMe2theRiver (i need to read again how to add them).

According to the wiki, she has several incorrectly assigned attributes I didn't know about (because I've actually never played her) so best of luck. I'd suggest using SimPE to save whatever sims you want from this neighborhood as a precaution, though it's possible you won't have any more issues for some time in this neighborhood, as improperly assigned family relations don't tend to blow up immediately.

According to the wiki, she has several incorrectly assigned attributes I didn't know about (because I've actually never played her) so best of luck. I'd suggest using SimPE to save whatever sims you want from this neighborhood as a precaution, though it's possible you won't have any more issues for some time in this neighborhood, as improperly assigned family relations don't tend to blow up immediately.

I had give up the project of marring her son, he'll stay fiancé for the rest of his life. I just hope that the neighbourhood will last until i get bored of this neighbourhood (it's mostly just sims that i've create when i'm bored, i'm not that attached to the family in there). Then i'll create a new one with the clean neighbourhood.
    I have got a bad case of disappearing graves in Pleasantview. is this a sign of corruption. all the graves are gone.
  • JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    I have got a bad case of disappearing graves in Pleasantview. is this a sign of corruption. all the graves are gone.

No it is not a sign of corruption. Sometimes for reasons unknown the graves just disappear. There is a tutorial how to get them back if you are interested in that. It requires a few different mods though. http://pixel-trade.livejournal.com/26093.html