Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

We need more than 3 CAS traits per sim

Comments

• rosehrtgirlrosehrtgirl Posts: 252 Member
    They need to add more behaviors to the game traits (tweak the traits autonomy). Like mean sims will be actually mean and start fights and arguments. Evil sims actually will taunt other sims and rile them up (try to make sims angry) and give them some mean things to do like rig different household items to electrocute sims. Bookworms will pick up a book instead of using the computer or TV. And a bookworm will gain fun a lot faster when reading books than other sims would.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited October 2017
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Triplis wrote: »

1) Each trait needs to have more depth to it (which is potentially a lot of polishing work to do)

Sadly, this has been covered dozens of times by dozens of people with dozens of seperate topics about it, and we've yet to see any evidence this is on their radar for an update.
    I wonder if it's possible. Emotions are the focus and it's the emotions that seem to be the biggest bottleneck where it comes to traits and personalities. They aren't going to give up that focus, even if they could.

True the base game traits are pretty lame and it's hard to tell the difference from a confident Sim from a trait or a confident Sim from an emotion, why this was all repeated with emotions and overlapping so all Sims turned out the same is beyond me. Double confident? lol.

But the ones added in packs (just a few so far) have their own idles like dance machine makes those Sims have good or bad moodlets depending on if they have danced recently and they do their own idles like stand around and dance which others Sims won't be standing around doing a little dance move since it's not also in the mix of emotions like all other traits are. That's why we need better traits and more of them, let alone more slots.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    Sims2 had a far better system. The 5 traits were in fact traits, each had a range of 0 to 10, and you didn't have to use up your whole allotment. If you made a mean sim, that sim was mean, making life miserable for everyone. Memories actually existed and worked. If a sim lost a loved one, they mourned & wept, frequently, as in RL. If enemies met, there was a fight. Lovers expressed affections, and in general interactions were based on what went on before, whether conversations or responses to actions. Clumsy dancers were laughed at, bad musicians booed, good ones cheered, if a sim did something shocking/offensive sims in the area reacted accordingly. In short, the sims were real and balanced, not what we have here.
  • NikNakNikNak Posts: 302 Member
    edited November 2017
    It doesn't matter how many traits we can give our sims. They'll always be a smiling, empty shell devoid of any personality because the traits barely do anything at all.
  • Simmer_chiyenSimmer_chiyen Posts: 362 Member
    edited November 2017
    Renato10 wrote: »
    I would love to see more traits per sim and new emotions in the game!

Yes to more emotions too! We need an actual fear emotion, and we need "Uncomfortable" to boost negative emotions...and to really tone down the ambient happiness that 95% of the decor in the game gives off! But, that's a whole other rant entirely...

I had an idea once in the older days on an old thread (as @JoAnne65 mentioned) that decor should be a bar in the "needs" section that fluctuate from a medium level; therefore sims only gets happy with ambient if most other needs are met (the Satisfied moodlet). Seriously, I should'd turn happy from hungrily uncomfortable because a room has a million simoleons artwork in it.

Oh, and I do support these ideas by OP if fine-tuning the trait and emotion system is really not possible.
  • pandie00pandie00 Posts: 590 Member
    This is a must have and it need to be adressed! I bought cats and dogs couple days ago and I chose dog lover and cat lover.. because I love them both...then I was left with one empty slot... If they're planning to add more traits they need to expand the slots aswell...
    “Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.” - Will Wright.

12-01-2017 <3
    Rebuilding Genetics Family Tree

My Tumblr : pandie4sims.tumblr.com/
  • SassycottonSassycotton Posts: 438 Member
    I agree I want my sims to have more as well!!!!!!! That would be so cool!!!!!
  • Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    It's too late to implement the kind of personality system that I wanted to see in the game. What I would have loved to have seen is a system more like the one in TS2 with personality sliders. I don't care for an all-or-nothing trait, but a variable degree of each trait. And by gosh I want them to work, to be noticeable, to be meaningful.
    I think that cat lover or dog lover, or anything of that sort is an absolute waste of a trait slot. Things like that would be best suited as interests and not the core personality.
    I want to see interests back in the sims, and I want them dynamic. I want them to be able to change over time and the age of the sim. And I want those interests to also play a huge part in how the sims interact with one another and the world around them.

I do hope you all get a few more trait slots for this game, and I really hope you all get an overhaul of the current traits as well as more attention to any future traits you may get that they mean a whole lot more to your gameplay than do most of the current ones. Three slots is indeed far too few if they're going to include interests along with personality to use those same few slots.
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited January 2018
    MORE THAN 3 CAS TRAITS?? YOU GOT TO BE JOKING. DEVELOPERS SAID THEY'RE SO BROKE THAT DON'T HAVE A BUDGET TO DO.... BARELY ANYTHING (GAME IMPROVING) AT ALL ACTUALLY. IF THEY TRY TO EXPAND ANYTHING THAT ALREADY is IMPLANTED IN THE BASE GAME BEHIND THE TECHNICAL LIMITATION, EA'S HEADQUARTERS MIGHT NOT HANDLE THAT KIND OF BEAST AMOUNT OF REQUIRED RESOURCES REQUIREMENTS TO MET, AND THUS AN MALFUNCTION MAY ACCURE AND THE PLACE COULD JUST SHATTER DOWN INTO GROUNDS.

Wit and satire comment that makes fun about the greedy company excuses aside, I don't think @Triplis your #2 isn't gonna change or put on a drastic improvement to the game much. You said it your self that many traits are already shallow as there is, and If you were to combine three of them into one sim you know it they don't your sim any way different from others and those personality attributes don't interact to one another very well (so it isn't relevant at all), so what makes you that two additional available slots to your sims isn't gonna change much? I think the #1 route is better. Sure it would require 'a lot of polishing of work to do', but I rather at any be satisfied with that direction taken by developers since I know that's the one that actually fix anything to the whole we-are-one-and-the-same-literally jazz.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited January 2018
    Wit and satire comment that makes fun about the greedy company excuses aside, I don't think @Triplis your #2 isn't gonna change or put on a drastic improvement to the game much. You said it your self that many traits are already shallow as there is, and If you were to combine three of them into one sim you know it they don't make your sim any way different from others and those personality attributes don't interact with one another very significantly (so it isn't relevant at all), so what makes you think that ( two more additional available slots patched in and utilized to total up to 5-traits to your sim is gonna change them much? I think the #1 route is better. Sure it would require 'a lot of polishing of work to do', but I rather choose that at any time which will satisfy me with any result because that direction taken by developers I know that's the one that actually gonna at least somehow fix anything to the whole we-are-one-and-the-same-literally jazz. 5-traits would just open can of worms If that route gets a turn from the upcoming EAs Car or I hope at least it isn't prioritize before the turn #2
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • sigildaggersigildagger Posts: 42 Member
    I have to say that, I'm actually against this idea. 3 traits are enough, and works better to make sims different than 5. In my opinion, and in my experience. With less traits, I'll have to be more careful of what I choose, so that the personalities come out differently.

For example the poster could choose any one of the Cheerful/Goofball/Childish and then pick the Good and Neat to give a different kind of personality for the sim. Picking 3 kind of similar traits and then adding 2 differing ones, would just drown the good and neat traits under the other 3 similar ones. (Though admittedly, I also thought that 3 is a little too little, when TS4 came out, but have long since changed my opinion.)

Also, I've played with sims that have had the exactly the same traits (all 3 of them) and the sims have still shown personalities differing from each other. What they experience and what the player puts them up to also has an impact. And if they get to do things they wish for and act on their own, without interference.

I would, however, very much like to see more traits in the game. :)
    Sigil's Sims 4 Adventures
    sigildagger.blogspot.fi.png
    Gallery ID: sigildagger
    #empty #unfurnished #starter houses with #noMOO and #noCC
  • AHolyToiletAHolyToilet Posts: 870 Member
    edited January 2018
    It's to the point that all Sims essentially feel the same. There's nothing substantial that seperates them from each other. They'll just feel an emotion for different reasons ( and even then, this isn't entirely true either, see the "well decorated" moodlet ) and that'll be it. There's no "smarter Sims" here. Just Sims that differ on the outside. On the "inside", they're all the same.

With the Sims 3, that game was fustrating for its lack of stability. For the Sims 4, it's the lack of depth. And while I do enjoy the Sims 4, I prefer the issues the Sims 3 had. At least it made for a more entertaining experience. But I digress.

I agree, there should've been more polish in establishing a system where we could create a truly unique Sim. Vampires addressed this to some extent, but you still have to be a Vampire to actually get unique traits to your Sim.
  • LukeLuke Posts: 642 Member
    ^ Agreed. As much as I like TS4 for trying new things, I wish the game was a lot more organised.

I agree with the whole sentiment of having traits. It would even be cool if you could choose the frequency that those traits come out. So perhaps you had a traitline with 2 conflicting emotions - like one positive trait and one negative trait ... it would be interesting if you could lean your Sim more towards Gloomy, whereas they are predominately Happy ... but every now and then, they will randomly run to their room to start crying, or they will wake up sad, but on a relatively infrequent level.

I think the emotions actually could have added a lot more depth if they focused more on utilising them with traits rather than external actions. Like your Sim can basically override their emotions as long as you do things that will influence those emotions. Like using silly actions will make them feel silly ... or running/jogging would be energetic ... but what if emotions counter-balanced those interactions. So you had "core emotions" AKA your core emotional traits that influenced your external actions ... so it would be harder for your Sim to feel energetic if they have a predominately "happy" traitline. Or it would be really interesting if they actually delved into emotions in a way where your "core emotions" could "combine" with other emotions. Like instead of a gloomy Sim feeling happy and cheerful all the time, sometimes they would receive an emotion that was like "Externally Smiling, Internally Crying" where they still have the "sad" UI but when they interact with other Sims, they would switch between sad/happy interactions during the conversation. Or they would interact with happy interactions with other Sims, but they would have sad interactions whenever they interacted with something that didn't involve Sims.

There are so many ways that could have diversified emotions/traits in a way that brought life to Sims ... that was the key, in my opinion, to unlocking that realistic emotional element that they boasted about when TS4 was first being released ... but instead it seems like they dropped the ball both with emotions and traits unfortunately.
    Origin ID: Derpiez
  • AHolyToiletAHolyToilet Posts: 870 Member
    Luke wrote: »
    ^ Agreed. As much as I like TS4 for trying new things, I wish the game was a lot more organised.

I agree with the whole sentiment of having traits. It would even be cool if you could choose the frequency that those traits come out. So perhaps you had a traitline with 2 conflicting emotions - like one positive trait and one negative trait ... it would be interesting if you could lean your Sim more towards Gloomy, whereas they are predominately Happy ... but every now and then, they will randomly run to their room to start crying, or they will wake up sad, but on a relatively infrequent level.

I think the emotions actually could have added a lot more depth if they focused more on utilising them with traits rather than external actions. Like your Sim can basically override their emotions as long as you do things that will influence those emotions. Like using silly actions will make them feel silly ... or running/jogging would be energetic ... but what if emotions counter-balanced those interactions. So you had "core emotions" AKA your core emotional traits that influenced your external actions ... so it would be harder for your Sim to feel energetic if they have a predominately "happy" traitline. Or it would be really interesting if they actually delved into emotions in a way where your "core emotions" could "combine" with other emotions. Like instead of a gloomy Sim feeling happy and cheerful all the time, sometimes they would receive an emotion that was like "Externally Smiling, Internally Crying" where they still have the "sad" UI but when they interact with other Sims, they would switch between sad/happy interactions during the conversation. Or they would interact with happy interactions with other Sims, but they would have sad interactions whenever they interacted with something that didn't involve Sims.

There are so many ways that could have diversified emotions/traits in a way that brought life to Sims ... that was the key, in my opinion, to unlocking that realistic emotional element that they boasted about when TS4 was first being released ... but instead it seems like they dropped the ball both with emotions and traits unfortunately.

Wow, that's pretty creative right there. And the thing is, you're just a random person that had a good idea. But an entire team decided instead to just throw emotions in and create things that stimulate emotions. And while there definitely are external sources to make you feel an emotion, in the Sims 4, that's all there is.

To build off of my previous post, you don't even need a personality system to flesh out the Sims themselves. Look at the Sims 3. There's no system there. Just Zodiac Signs, favorite Foods and Music, 5 trait slots, and a favorite color.

And most of these didn't really do much. But you know what? They didn't have to. The Sims in the Sims 3 weren't really different from each other either. It just felt like they were. And it worked. For me, at least.
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    edited January 2018
    I don't think 3 traits is enough, I would've been fine with 4 traits, or pushing it with 5, but even if they increased it now imagine what the gurus would think about grandfathering it in to everyone's Sims from everything from the release of the base game to now? They'll never bother with it. If they wanted more than 3 traits for Sims, they would've thought about that before they developed the game at all. It's more than a little late to implement it.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • SassycottonSassycotton Posts: 438 Member
    Wonder why they didn't make more
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    Wonder why they didn't make more

Simple, the gurus decided in this iteration that they believed that 3 was the magic number for traits, all Goldilocks-style: 'Not too little, not too much, just right...' I think at least 4 traits would be enough.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • GodleyjeansGodleyjeans Posts: 336 Member
    I’d like to see a five trait system with a master trait, something that switches up the way a sim works mentally and either boosts or slows down things your sim can do. Similar to sims 3, if you were a loser you’d basically fail at everything and likely die in some ironically tragic yet hilarious way, something like that. Bring back more traits and give us a sixth that works as an overall.

It’d probably be similar to traits received for finishing aspirations, however you pick one in CAS after building a sim. It follows you throughout your sims life and can be inherited or you can choose what your next sim has as long as they’ve had a good upbringing in that generational line.

Of course, as a way to spice up this series of the sims, each main perk has an effect on the sims life as well, not just causing a few accidents or attracting or pushing away other sims but it gives you a new lease of life, both for simmer and sim.

Say one of these traits is Child O Death, you’re automatically a relative to the Grim Reaper and have some powers of his, say you can revive sims or animals, plants, have a strong will over the dead and or maybe are able to spend real time with grim, he can be a household member, not controllable but he’s around, you can hang out and he works as a regular sim except his job is to reap souls so he has the basic nine to five, you see him come and go, sometimes he asks for help and you get to go with him, maybe he retires and you take over part time. Like he reaps two or three days a week and you random get told to go send Mrs Gurtude to the other world and do so quick. Basically it unlocks some death themed career choices and some morbid yet fun interactions.

If you’re a cook you can get a special chef trait that allows you to make exciting combos of rare and common items, new drinks and such, new career paths where you end up traveling and or host a tv show, run your own restaurant and cook up a storm!
    Or you become hired by the sim president and have to leave home for a week to batch cook his meals before returning home for two sim weeks. You can master the ultimate food bible and craft new recipes! Of course there’s the risk of sickness, death, mutations and maybe you accidentally turn grandma into a cat, who knows but one things for sure you know how to cook!

Or you’re a interstellar traveler and your trait is galactic tourist. You need to be an alien or relative of an alien to get this but you have cool powers, a space ship, ties with the embassy in space and you have the ability to bring down comments...also there may be a secret weapons cabinet in the shed shussshh don’t like Michael know! He still hasn’t forgiven you for shooting a hole in the family portrait he had made for uncle Gary fiasco!
    This is more of a fun trait because you’re someone with the ability to really make someone’s day terrible. You can make comets rain down from the sky, Satellites, teens can steal your ship and take it for a test ride and yes you’re better at disguises, they last too...even during woohoo. You can hide forever or surprise the family at the fifteenth reunion. JINK! George’s wife is an alien, explains why the kids are green.
    Be a prankster, a space bad guy or just enjoy yourself with some galactic stuff like cool ray guns, the ability to change items, use mind control to make the dog actually pee outside for once, make your neighbour look like you for a day to take the suspicion off of you when things get heated and own devices that will inevitably set your house on fire.
    What would be cool is if EA added back in the ability for female aliens to impregnate male sims again, bring it back so as a surprise the husband can end up carry one of the twins, well if they are twins at that point but you know.

There’s plenty of ideas for EA to use to make the game better, I’d say make a new traits system and make a good one that actually beefs up the way sims work, add some spice to a dull game.
  • chxnelchxnel Posts: 57 Member
    DcD2510 wrote: »
    we also need more Traits and more in-depth traits, maybe another at least 10

Definitely agree.
  • Sophie_Sophie_ Posts: 6 New Member
    We certainly need more in-depth Sims, I really wish we could still have the "likes"\"dislikes" system where you could choose kind of people , job, places etc. your sims likes\dislikes, for instance if I want my sim to dislike unemployed sims and love secret agents or dislike slobs and love Family-oriented sims I should be able to do that. It would not interrupt anyone's storytelling and in fact would make it more fun for us to create more realistic sims, random townies can also get those likes and dislikes randomly generated. It doesn't even have to be part of base game it can just come with some sort of a "love" themed stuff\game pack.

Or even sort of a reputation system where your actions will actually have consequences , actions like getting into too many fights, being seen kissing a married guy, yelling at people, walking around nude and so on should lower your reputation and make it harder for you to progress with relationships, while donating large amounts of money to charity, being friendly, throwing parties etc. could raise your reputation.

And if that's not possible either at least make it so that when I get back to a certain household I won't see good sims with high level jobs, fortune and family automatically being friends with evil,kleptomaniac, homeless teens? It just doesn't make any sense and I just have to manually delete their relationship all together.
  • LanaRedLanaRed Posts: 1 New Member
    I personally think The Sims 3 was actually missing all these emotions like dazed, sad, ect. - having different interactions and actions depending on emotions is 100% true to life, but I also agree that these emotions really aren't effected based on the traits but more on the sim's surroundings or interactions with other sims. The whole emotions system could be absolutely wonderful had it been based on emotions (Some of the traits I've recently downloaded do just that, and it's definitely a hundred times better since the emotions are based on these traits). I also agree that 3 traits aren't enough, but I'd 100% rather have 3 good traits than 5 not-so-good traits. I wish cheats would be added to addon more CAS-specific traits to Sims the way you can do with reward traits (It would be a good solution to adding traits without needing to remake everything as far as I'm understanding. I've never tried all this magic in game-developing so I'm not certain, but I'm thinking that if it works with reward traits, why not the 'normal' traits?)

(I do hope I'm not posting too late. I didn't find a date when this was posted/talked about ;-;)
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited August 2018
    If I can choose between five traits with the current Sims 4 emotion system (that suppresses almost every form of personality) or just three with strongly toning down that system (emotions), I wholeheartedly choose the latter. Also, I don’t think a sim needs 10 traits to have a personality.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    Sounds like what we're all wanting (consciously or not) if for EA to make TS2 UC fully available again. Properly updated to run well on new systems, but otherwise keeping their money-grubbing, game breaking mitts off.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Definitely agree that Sims need to be able to have more traits. No question about it!!!!

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• sazzieJsazzieJ Posts: 150 Member
    currently im taking a break from sims 4 for 3 and the 5 traits we get are better IMO. with the university EP installed my sims can have upto 7 traits if they attend uni or 6 if they dont but progress in a 'social group'. adding 2 new traits changed my sim almost straight away as she had new desires since she added genius and started playing chess by herself. she also added adventurer and when i took her travelling she got a buff.

sims 3 also allows you to select 'random' traits so if you dont have anything in mind you click random and boom a sim with a personality has been made. i miss that in sims 4

the emotions in sims4 are too much at times due to the rapid nature in which they can change and makes me feel that the game has been designed for a) children and b) people who have never ever played sims in their life.

im constantly feeling like each sim is a carbon copy of the previous one and alot of things are too easy, for example: need to have a baby? click try for baby on compatible items and there you go~! no work whatsoever to get the two sims in the mood

the trait reward traits are sorely lacking as well. theres no variety and it annoys me that when a trait is purchased it stays in the list.

sims 4 was ambitious in that, for me, it was a complete persona overhaul with emotions however it would have been great for these sims to have a combination of sims 2 and 3 with emotions thrown in too.

wouldnt surprise me if EA is already working on a sims 5 and a way to combine sims 2 3 and 4 personalities and emotions all together