Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What If Seasons is Confined to Specific Locations?

Comments

• Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,232 Member
    edited January 2018
    Cynna wrote: »
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    But why seasons couldn't be a basegame feature ?

Originally, the basegame of The Sims 2 got rain and thunderbolt but it was disabled because it rained inside the houses (or maybe because Will Wright's team didn't get the time to develop it properly).

It was fully developed - you could see it in the files and there were even bool prop testing cheat so you could see a snippet of what it all looked like. The issue was the weather coming inside the buildings.

Sims 2 used the Sim City 4 map system and programming,, but in Sim City you could have these things and more because we never got to go inside the buildings. So the devs had to find a way to make the roofs and walls of buildings so that rain/ snow/ cold and heat could not past through. It took a while but they finally did it. I heard they had almost given up and then all of a sudden they got a break through.

This still doesn't answer that poster's question, though. If the issue with it raining indoors has been solved, why does Seasons continue to be sold separately?

Maybe because of the seasonal activities, Maxis want to give us more than weather.

But if the seasonal activities are included in several packs, the weather can be included in the basegame.

The most of the Summer activities are Beach activities, the Winter activities are also Mountain activities.
    Spring and Fall have no specific activities except Raking fallen leaves.

Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    No, I'm done! If we don't get weather in all worlds that's it, I'm not buying four separate packs nor one big one if I can't have weahter in all worlds.

Maybe because of the seasonal activities, Maxis want to give us more than weather.

But if the seasonal activities are included in several packs, the weather can be included in the basegame.

The most of the Summer activities are Beach activities, the Winter activities are also Mountain activities.
    Spring and Falls have no specific activities except Raking fallen leaves.

Exactly as you say.

At this point, weather could have been added to the base game and additional weather-related activities added later. Just as is done with practically every other activity in the game, including something so elemental and integral as being able to slow dance with your partner. Yet, I highly suspect that EA will never add weather (or slow dancing) to the base game or patch it in for free. Because it's something that the majority of players want desperately.

I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited January 2018
    I'm perfectly happy to buy a pack for each weather related content and locations.

Originally, the basegame of The Sims 2 got rain and thunderbolt but it was disabled because it rained inside the houses (or maybe because Will Wright's team didn't get the time to develop it properly).

It was fully developed - you could see it in the files and there were even bool prop testing cheat so you could see a snippet of what it all looked like. The issue was the weather coming inside the buildings.

Sims 2 used the Sim City 4 map system and programming,, but in Sim City you could have these things and more because we never got to go inside the buildings. So the devs had to find a way to make the roofs and walls of buildings so that rain/ snow/ cold and heat could not past through. It took a while but they finally did it. I heard they had almost given up and then all of a sudden they got a break through.

This still doesn't answer that poster's question, though. If the issue with it raining indoors has been solved, why does Seasons continue to be sold separately?

Of course, I can't know the answer definitively. I do have my own theory, however: Seasons packs are always huge draws that make the company lots of money. The majority of us bought them not only once, but twice, and so, we set the precedent. We're willing to pay so why give the feature away?

I suspect that the answer is just that simple.

Because they don't use that program to make the Sims anymore. Every sims game is different complete from the tools they use to the game engines - to everything. It 's a brand new clean slate with every sims base game.

That was just for Sims 2. Sims 3 used world builder 3.4 for Maya. Sims 4 actually has no world building/ design program - they do it free style. With even the tools changing for every world.

Also they will never probably offer Seasons as part of the base game because it is such a huge ep. The profit for that ep would have to be added to the already high cost of the base game - which would repel buyers from what I can see. So I don't see it ever happening.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    sigildaggersigildagger Posts: 42 Member
    I'm perfectly happy to buy a pack for each weather related content and locations.
    > @Writin_Reg said:
    > Sigzy05 wrote: »
    >
    > I'm not buying four separate packs for sure. However I don't mind if snow is confined to one specific location.
    >
    > I never thought very believable the fact that it would snow on low suburban areas, especially in desert places. Sure in TS2 we could choose the seasons we wanted per neighborhood, which was great but not sure we'll be able here.
    >
    > Honestly though, knowing how TS4 is, I wouldn't be surprised if they simply get rain and lighting on every location. I hope though that every area hass it's own set of weather, if it's raining in Willow Creek doesn't mean it should also be raining in Windenburg at the very same time if you know what I mean. They are different locations.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > That was my point exactly. So agree.

Ditto.
    Sigil's Sims 4 Adventures
    sigildagger.blogspot.fi.png
    Gallery ID: sigildagger
    #empty #unfurnished #starter houses with #noMOO and #noCC
  • Options
    hepe1977hepe1977 Posts: 34 Member
    > @Writin_Reg said:
    > Sigzy05 wrote: »
    >
    > I'm not buying four separate packs for sure. However I don't mind if snow is confined to one specific location.
    >
    > I never thought very believable the fact that it would snow on low suburban areas, especially in desert places. Sure in TS2 we could choose the seasons we wanted per neighborhood, which was great but not sure we'll be able here.
    >
    > Honestly though, knowing how TS4 is, I wouldn't be surprised if they simply get rain and lighting on every location. I hope though that every area hass it's own set of weather, if it's raining in Willow Creek doesn't mean it should also be raining in Windenburg at the very same time if you know what I mean. They are different locations.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > That was my point exactly. So agree.

Same here. I do hope that we get even the rain for all neighborhoods.
  • Options
    > @gummybear0724 said:
    > Didn't vote. I would like these seasons to correlate to the "climate" of the worlds. Brindleton bay probably would get heaps and heaps of snow, Oasis Springs wouldn't get much besides heat waves. I imagine SM as being hot and WC/NC/MP get rain. WB would probably get rain as well. FH would get lots of thunderstorms and GF would probably get it all.

Would also like to see this. :)
  • Options
    > @IceyJ said:
    > I needed an "I wouldn't be perfectly happy but would probably end up buying anyway" option.

Seconded. XD
  • Options
    mortiamortia Posts: 1,155 Member

Of course, I can't know the answer definitively. I do have my own theory, however: Seasons packs are always huge draws that make the company lots of money. The majority of us bought them not only once, but twice, and so, we set the precedent. We're willing to pay so why give the feature away?

Because they don't use that program to make the Sims anymore. Every sims game is different complete from the tools they use to the game engines - to everything. It 's a brand new clean slate with every sims base game.

That was just for Sims 2. Sims 3 used world builder 3.4 for Maya. Sims 4 actually has no world building/ design program - they do it free style. With even the tools changing for every world.

Also they will never probably offer Seasons as part of the base game because it is such a huge ep. The profit for that ep would have to be added to the already high cost of the base game - which would repel buyers from what I can see. So I don't see it ever happening.

What program do they not use to make the Sims anymore? And what would whatever 3D package they are using to create worlds have to do with why they can't add Seasons to base games? The two things have nothing to do with each other.

• Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    No, I'm done! If we don't get weather in all worlds that's it, I'm not buying four separate packs nor one big one if I can't have weahter in all worlds.

How do we know they build worlds in TS4 'free style'? I haven't seen any videos where they talk about how they built a world. Of course they have to have some tool or software or template or something. True, it's over my head, but I would like to know why they can't give players a tool that resembles their own. They may talk about what they did to a world but they have been extremely secreative about how worlds are put together, the software they use, etc.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    mortiamortia Posts: 1,155 Member
    I admit I'm also wondering what building worlds "free style" means. They clearly rely on 3D software to build and I'm sure they have a plan. I'm also 99% sure that they have been using the same 3D tools since the start of the franchise (Maya and/or Max) since they are industry standards. World Builder, btw, is a program that is only used to generate realistic terrains. They might have used it to spit out base geometry but the process of making it into a functional world for TS3 had to have been done independent of that program.

• Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Technically, I hope it is confined to specific locations in that I want to decide what season is happening in which world and in what order.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited January 2018
    mortia wrote: »

What program do they not use to make the Sims anymore? And what would whatever 3D package they are using to create worlds have to do with why they can't add Seasons to base games? The two things have nothing to do with each other.

Each one is different. In Sims 3 as I said they use the Maya plug in World Builder and it is not just maps - Here's the newest version. Sort of wished they had used this. It's gorgeous.

Rain in the World Builder Pro 4.1

http://www2.digi-element.ru/media/wbimages/flink4.jpg

http://www2.digi-element.ru/media/wbimages/flink2.jpg

Making snow

http://www.digi-element.com/wb/wb4tutorials/wb4_snow/index.html

Sims 2 used Sim City 4

All I know about Sims 4 is the fact the devs said they make the maps free hand back when they used to spend time talking with us on the Q & A's with the developers - back when Sims 4 first came out. They use a variety of different tools but did not mention any specific program. And yes they always use Maya in all sims - but their tools vary. It's never specific like they were in Sims 2 or 3.

I came there every day and read everything they wrote about all sorts of things they shared. Many were indepth. There was also talk about it on Reddit as well in the Devs Corner in 2014.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    Technically, I hope it is confined to specific locations in that I want to decide what season is happening in which world and in what order.

I don't understand your wishes. If it were confined to specific locations then no, you would not be able to decide what season is happening and in which world and or what order. It would be the very opposite of what you would like to see.
  • Options
    PoppenPoppen Posts: 85 Member
    edited January 2018
    I went with, Nah im done. Not because it is a deal breaker for me, but in soledarity with the many people it means a great deal to. So it kind becomes a dealbreaker to me, the developers should listen to the players, and this is very important to most players.
  • Options
    Cinebar wrote: »

I don't understand your wishes. If it were confined to specific locations then no, you would not be able to decide what season is happening and in which world and or what order. It would be the very opposite of what you would like to see.

You're right. You don't understand. When I say I want it confined to specific locations, I mean that I want each location, each different world, to have the option of picking the weather pattern for that world alone.

If I make it rain in OS, it shouldn't rain in all the other worlds too. I want to set when the weather changes and what it changes to and when. I might want summer all year long in OS, spring rains and summer sun in WC, winter snow, spring rain, summer sun and fall winds in BB. I want specific weather in specific locations according to my specific schedule.

So, yes, I do want it confined to specific locations, at specific times according to my specific wishes.
  • Options

You're right. You don't understand. When I say I want it confined to specific locations, I mean that I want each location, each different world, to have the option of picking the weather pattern for that world alone.

If I make it rain in OS, it shouldn't rain in all the other worlds too. I want to set when the weather changes and what it changes to and when. I might want summer all year long in OS, spring rains and summer sun in WC, winter snow, spring rain, summer sun and fall winds in BB. I want specific weather in specific locations according to my specific schedule.

So, yes, I do want it confined to specific locations, at specific times according to my specific wishes.

But my polls is about if it were confined to a specific location would people buy it? So, I am talking about only summer in OS etc. Or no summer at all in existing worlds but maybe a snowy place in a new destination and no other options to make that happen like in WB. So, when you said specific location I hope they also understand what you meant. You mean options for everything, I'm not sure they understand us sometimes.
  • Options

But my polls is about if it were confined to a specific location would people buy it? So, I am talking about only summer in OS etc. Or no summer at all in existing worlds but maybe a snowy place in a new destination and no other options to make that happen like in WB. So, when you said specific location I hope they also understand what you meant. You mean options for everything, I'm not sure they understand us sometimes.

I have no doubt seasons will be handled in the same manner as it was in past versions. We will be able to pick and choose what weather we want when and where. It is entirely possible that they might create an Alpine world (vacation or otherwise) that is always covered in snow. That would be fine with me and fit that world. But when seasons is added, I don't want winter weather locked to that world because it has snow on the ground all year long. Sun, wind and snow would fit. Rain would be questionable because the cold temperature would turn it to snow.
  • Options
    JemmaTheSimmerJemmaTheSimmer Posts: 387 Member
    Separating seasons into packs I think would be a bit ridiculous. I could maybe see separating daily weather and seasons, but not splitting up spring/summer/autumn/winter. It is not four packs worth! Plus they're so interlinked, it would be best to market them together anyway.

I hope the weather and seasons are appropriate in different worlds. Like I would be happy for all worlds to have four seasons, but winter in Oasis Springs should be a bit cool, versus winter in Windenburg should be really snowy. As long as it's appropriate for the world. The exact same amount of snow, etc. in every world would seem wrong to me.
  • Options
    Separating seasons into packs I think would be a bit ridiculous. I could maybe see separating daily weather and seasons, but not splitting up spring/summer/autumn/winter. It is not four packs worth! Plus they're so interlinked, it would be best to market them together anyway.

I hope the weather and seasons are appropriate in different worlds. Like I would be happy for all worlds to have four seasons, but winter in Oasis Springs should be a bit cool, versus winter in Windenburg should be really snowy. As long as it's appropriate for the world. The exact same amount of snow, etc. in every world would seem wrong to me.

I don't know, sometimes really cold weather is necessary to kill off pests that have over taken an area. And a really wet season can cause too many things like fleas and ticks etc. Sometimes, I think someone does know what they are doing.
  • Options
    aws200aws200 Posts: 2,262 Member
    Seeing how limited the game is tech wise and how they barely make anything for DLC. Even expansion packs are lackluster and should be labelled 'stuff packs with slightly more content but not much'. I expect them to make it exclusive to new locations or only include one weather like rain and you have to buy snow in a game pack or they make each season a game pack. Which wouldn't make sense but given how Sims 4 is I wouldn't be surprised.
    1. The Sims 2
    2. The Sims 3
    3. The Sims 4 (5 years later its decent)
    4. The Sims 1
  • Options
    clover24clover24 Posts: 887 Member
    I would not spend more money on each pack to get snow and rainy seasons locations or sunny vacation spot.
    I would not be spending £20 per season no way.
    If they don’t come together or tastefully then I’m not interested
  • Options
    clover24 wrote: »
    I would not be spending £20 per season no way.
    If they don’t come together or tastefully then I’m not interested

Seasons is hard for me to pass up in any of these games. It is probably what kept me playing TS3 though I preferred TS2. I hope they do a grand seasons' pack which might draw me back into TS4. If they can't for whatever reasons, I won't be buying smaller packs, either.
  • Options
    ToreshinboToreshinbo Posts: 561 Member
    It's not a good idea to split them up considering they have been released with all four in previous packs. And besides it would REALLY feel like a rip-off. (please don't give them any ideas!)
  • Options
    DraconDracon Posts: 119 Member
    If that were to happen, it would be distasteful and a disrespect for not only the community, all the Simmers around the world, but to the series as a whole, the original creators, and the legacy of Maxis and EA. EA is a company that not many people like in the gaming world, and for good reasons. With the Star Wars fiasco that recently happened, I hope EA learns something about not mistreating their customers going forward.

I enjoy the Sims, I love buying new content to better enhance the Sims, but to mishandle the game and make it similar to a freemium game where its just about the money in the context that it is NOT about enhancing the base game is a big no no.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    The more I think about it the more I wonder what they would do with the backgrounds if Seasons were applied to all worlds as they are static pictures. They would have to change the background for every season.

In Sims 1 you could choose your background for a new world, desert, etc., before you worked on it so maybe they are thinking of going that way. Four seasonal backgrounds for a world or choose your season for each new game?
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top