Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Books not being able to max out a skill for Sims

I must be feeling in a grouchy mood today or things particularly annoying me about the Sims 4 that didn't with previous Sim games.

Why is it when our Sims get to level 9 of a skill they are unable to max the skill out using a book. Does this mean that theory is not everything and our Sims need some practical?

Whilst I can understand getting a "bad" moodlet for reading a skill book that is below the skill level our Sim is at, but where is the information about the skill level of that particular book. I have learned by playing the game how the levels of books work, but tell me how is this fun or is it suppose to be funny?

Comments

• Emmy_SimsEmmy_Sims Posts: 324 Member
    I hate this. I'm still trying to figure out the skill levels required for each book, since it's seems it's not from 3 to 3 anymore.
    Jar Jar Binks is a Sith Lord
  • JestinaJestina Posts: 1,609 Member
    Skill books are kind of pointless in TS4. I think I've rarely used them. It would help if the bookworm trait actually gave you a boost to reading and writing like it did in TS3.
  • waggymiley2013waggymiley2013 Posts: 239 Member
    Some books are ridiculously over priced in Sims 4 not to fully gain you the level you should get like previous versions of sims. I wish the gurus would look into this.
  • meme009meme009 Posts: 46 Member
    edited January 2018
    I too have found that reading skill books, has not been implemented properly in sims 4. Your sim can progress to level 10, by just reading level 1 books, making level 2 and 3 pointless. I get my sim to complete reading a skill book, by turning autonomy off, and disabling the decay of household needs, so that the sim reads continuously without a break. However, if the sim takes a break, then the skill level does not progress until the next level book is selected. So, If you cannot progress beyond a certain level, try the next level up and it should work.
  • GageaGagea Posts: 1,275 Member
    Book 1: can be read from Level 1 onwards, sims can read it multiple times before they get bored
    Book 2: can be read from Level 4 onwards
    Book 3: can be read from Level 7 onwards
  • PrincessrozeeSPrincessrozeeS Posts: 390 Member
    edited January 2018
    Book 1: can be read from Level 1 onwards, sims can read it multiple times before they get bored
    Book 2: can be read from Level 4 onwards
    Book 3: can be read from Level 7 onwards

Thank you for the information, but I have found if you have to put a book down on level 9 they cannot max out the skill to 10. Maybe it's a glitch I don't know. If my Sim could continue to read from level 9 into level 10 maybe it wouldn't be a problem but needs often mean they cant. I have found that putting the book down after achieving level 9 (or even during level 9 with some skills) means they just go through the motions and don't get any skill points. I then end up having to achieve the last skill by practical means
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    I read about this before that sometimes when you reach level 9, it's pointless to actually max out the skill with books and to actually put it in practice yourself. After all, what's the point of maxing out the skill if you don't actually use it?
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
    I read about this before that sometimes when you reach level 9, it's pointless to actually max out the skill with books and to actually put it in practice yourself. After all, what's the point of maxing out the skill if you don't actually use it?

Books usually give fun, sometimes practice doesn't, and often a combination of both is the best way. But we should be able to max out a skill as we have done in previous Sim games by using a book.

Quote "After all, what's the point of maxing out the skill if you don't actually use it?"
    I suppose it depends on your style of play and how you want to achieve the skills for your Sim. There are times when reading a book is a lot safer than doing the practical and can be faster (under some circumstances). It can be less tiring for a Sim to sit and read especially when wanting to max the skill quickly on the last level.

I mostly use practical means because it is better all round, but there are times in my game when reading is beneficial to my Sim and it seems strange we can't get a skill points for reading on the last level and maxing out the skill if we should choose to do so.
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member

Books usually give fun, sometimes practice doesn't, and often a combination of both is the best way. But we should be able to max out a skill as we have done in previous Sim games by using a book.

Quote "After all, what's the point of maxing out the skill if you don't actually use it?"
    I suppose it depends on your style of play and how you want to achieve the skills for your Sim. There are times when reading a book is a lot safer than doing the practical and can be faster (under some circumstances). It can be less tiring for a Sim to sit and read especially when wanting to max the skill quickly on the last level.

I mostly use practical means because it is better all round, but there are times in my game when reading is beneficial to my Sim and it seems strange we can't get a skill points for reading on the last level and maxing out the skill if we should choose to do so.

I've only found that the only times I have a Sim read skill books in the particular skill I'm aiming for, is when either the options around them are limited either space-wise, financially, etc etc, or to simply round out to the next level of a skill real quick if the items to do so aren't around. A good example I've used skill books is for gardening, since some Sims of mine want to get to lvl 2 in it yet they only have enough space for one small plant or something. Another annoying skill to level is Mischief, which doesn't have many ways to increase it outside of books, and it seems quite slow with the things that can.

I also forget libraries exist in the game and they have all the skill books you'll need if you can't purchase them for your own home. I rarely visit them myself bc they seem to have lag issues for me (too many Sims on one lot perhaps).
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • Simberella777Simberella777 Posts: 480 Member
    I've been playing with Caleb Vatore (one of the pre-made vampires). I have found it is hard to get him to read the Vampire Tomes. They are skill books, as it raises vampire skill and powers. He gets bored if he has to read too much. I think Caleb might be different though as he is extremely hyper. I have to keep him busy all the time (night and day) because he rarely, if ever, sleeps.

One night I was trying to get him to read one. He would only read for a few minutes before he would put it on the floor and try to zip off to something else. I kept making him pick it back up and read it. After the third time, he picked up the book, held it up horizontally and started flapping it (open and closed), saying, "blab, blab, blab, blab", (in Simlish) over and over again. He was giggling and laughing the whole time.

I couldn't believe they programmed that into the game but it was hilarious. I thought, "C'mon Caleb, you're supposed to be reading the book, not playing with it!" Oh well, so much for skill books. I thought they were supposed to like to read. It doesn't appear that is always the case.
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    I don't have the patience to build my sims' skills through books, and it appears that they don't have it either. They keep putting those books away, getting bored with them, and even if that wasn't the case, it just takes forever... I only resort to skill books when there really is no other option, or when a sim is getting on my nerves and I don't know what to do with them.
  • QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    Yeah, I can’t get any of my sims (even the bookworms) to read skill books for a decent amount of time. Sometimes they won’t even finish reading regular books before giving up.
    I also forget libraries exist in the game and they have all the skill books you'll need if you can't purchase them for your own home. I rarely visit them myself bc they seem to have lag issues for me (too many Sims on one lot perhaps).

I have found that libraries have all the skill books but only for the first few levels (book 1) which is good if you need a start somewhere and don't have the money to buy

• Francl27Francl27 Posts: 761 Member
    edited February 2018
    QueenMercy wrote: »
    Yeah, I can’t get any of my sims (even the bookworms) to read skill books for a decent amount of time. Sometimes they won’t even finish reading regular books before giving up.

Same here. Very annoying.

ETA: you can repeatedly Troll the Forums to get mischief skill.
  • JeansooJeansoo Posts: 3,606 Member
    edited December 2021
    I've been playing with Caleb Vatore (one of the pre-made vampires). I have found it is hard to get him to read the Vampire Tomes. They are skill books, as it raises vampire skill and powers. He gets bored if he has to read too much. I think Caleb might be different though as he is extremely hyper. I have to keep him busy all the time (night and day) because he rarely, if ever, sleeps.

One night I was trying to get him to read one. He would only read for a few minutes before he would put it on the floor and try to zip off to something else. I kept making him pick it back up and read it. After the third time, he picked up the book, held it up horizontally and started flapping it (open and closed), saying, "blab, blab, blab, blab", (in Simlish) over and over again. He was giggling and laughing the whole time.

I couldn't believe they programmed that into the game but it was hilarious. I thought, "C'mon Caleb, you're supposed to be reading the book, not playing with it!" Oh well, so much for skill books. I thought they were supposed to like to read. It doesn't appear that is always the case.

All the Sims 4 sims are the same as Caleb. They just stop reading after a while and show the moodlet that they read enough. But here's the way I'm using for my vamp sim. I command the 'read book' 6 times in a row, then the sims keep reading and reading until the number of commands will be ended. I also used this way to Caleb and it worked. :) When only one command is waiting, I give another 5 commands more for reading. But when the sim really stops and put down the book, that means they need a next book. Then I purchase the 2nd vampire lore tome, and then do the same command over and over ..then they keep reading without putting down the book. I learned this way when I try to complete the milestone 'read 3 books' in Nerd Brain aspiration for all family sims.