Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 Custom Content Hair Appears With A 'Shiny' Texture/Look?

Okay so I've been downloading cc for TS4. I decided to download some hair; I watched some youtube videos of recommended custom content hair from sites such as ModTheSims, The Sim Resource etc. So I downloaded some hairstyles. When I go onto 'Create A Sim', the hairstyles have a weird shiny look to them. Does any one else have this issue? Thanks :)

Comments

• SimGuruModSquadSimGuruModSquad Posts: 597 Member
    I've heard this reported before but never seen for myself. Can you post:
    • A link to the CC that this is happening on.
    • Ideally, a screenshot of what you are seeing.
    • Machine info: What platform (Windows\OSX), graphics card and graphics setting in game (i.e. Ultra/High/Medium/etc.)
    Thanks
    -SGMS
  • pboxpbox Posts: 630 Member
    I’ve never seen a screenshot either, but over here someone described what I think is the same phenomenon; with a little bit of info at least:
    Ever since the most recent patch (July 9) all of my CC hair is super shiny - like it looks almost plastic where the light hits it. I’m running TS4 on a PC (not a laptop) and my graphic settings are all set to Ultra.

I believe what they are seeing is the SimGlass shader working as designed, but perhaps since the last patch more pronouncedly so? That one’s often used for a certain kind of hair.
    Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4
  • Bananas_45Bananas_45 Posts: 6,775 Member
    Make sure laptop mode is disabled in the game and that should fix it.
    edited July 2015
    The user I quoted/linked to is not on Laptop mode. Extreme shinyness I've only seen reported since the current patch was released.
    edited July 2015
    I just ran a quick test myself; not sure I’d call that look “shiny” but it qualifies as “weird” in my eyes:

Hair I used for testing: http://modthesims.info/d/553964

Settings on High:

66046_150714233931hairtest_high.jpg

Settings on Low (Laptop Mode on):

66047_150714233940hairtest_low.jpg

Settings on Low -- same as above but Laptop Mode turned off:

66050_150714235447hairtest_low2.jpg

Windows 7 Home Premium on a 2014 MacBook Pro with a GeForce 750M GT.

I have seen this kind of “macaroni look” in screenshots before 1.9 too though if I remember correcty, so it is probably not the same as what the OP is talking about. But might still be useful for disambiguation, I guess.
  • Uni_tadpole05Uni_tadpole05 Posts: 2 New Member
    I’m struggling to find the settings so I can fix the solution
  • Uni_tadpole05Uni_tadpole05 Posts: 2 New Member
    As it is happening in my game
  • BonxieBonxie Posts: 5,695 Member
    I’m struggling to find the settings so I can fix the solution [...] ]As it is happening in my game

I'm not quite sure what exactly you are looking for, but regarding the post from @pbox with 'high' and 'low' the game's graphic settings are located in the Game Menu > Game Options > Graphics.

You can select ome predefined graphic profiles in section 'Graphics Quality', also the mentioned 'high' and 'low' profiles. Be careful while using the 'Ultra' setting. It requires an advanced graphic HW like NVidia Geforce or AMD Radeon. To reduce the load on laptops you can check the 'Laptop Mode' check box. But as a consequence this option also reduces the overall graphic quality.
    Bonxie: Great Skua, stercorarius skua. Meet me on Fair Isle.
  • cmarinetticmarinetti Posts: 147 Member
    You may be having a problem that started with the 11/8/2017 patch, causing some transparency hairs to be either darkened or very shiny. This is caused by custom hair meshes either linking a normal map that doesn't exist or not having a link for a normal map at all. CAS Tools (available at Mod The Sims) has an individual fix and Sims 4 Studio has a batch fix.
    cmarNYC on MTS.
  • KyaLeeKKyaLeeK Posts: 2 New Member
    You need to turn [b]off[/b] laptop mode.