Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can anybody help? Stutter and Lag in game

RosiaMia_RosiaMia_ Posts: 1,377 Member
For the past week or so when I've been playing The Sims 4 the game starts to randomly stutter and lag. It comes out of nowhere. My game runs fine, then when I either start moving the camera around or go into build mode it starts stuttering and runs slow. It doesn't freeze it just stutters and lags. I can then come out of the household into the neighbor and it runs smooth again. It's not just this household on because it has happend when I was building a new build with a different household.

Really frustrating and upsetting and is stopping me from playing :(

Any advice or help would be great.

Post edited by RosiaMia_ on

Comments

• Options
    PetalsimPetalsim Posts: 43 Member
    Do you have any custom content/mods? If so, have you tried running the game without them?
  • Options
    sillyangel0906sillyangel0906 Posts: 5,405 Member
    edited January 2018
    Are you playing online? Do you have a massive tray folder? Both of these I have found will cause lag and stuttering. I take my main tray folder out and only put it in when I need to get something out of my library. Then take it back out again immediately.

ETA: You can also try repairing your game and/or deleting cache files.
    Origin ID - Sillyangel0906

Q7wLwse.png
  • Options
    BooDaBoo5BooDaBoo5 Posts: 253 Member
    I've had that issue on occasion and repairing the game has always worked for me. Hope this helps!
  • Options
    Hello,

I dont use CC

And repaired my game twice and it still stutters :(

Whats a tray folder? @sillyangel0906

• Options
    Ravager619Ravager619 Posts: 3,738 Member
    In addition to repairing the game, clear out your screenshot and video folders after every game. You can have a great computer and still have your game stutter, lag or crash if too many items are in there. I have folders in Pictures and Videos to keep my favorite screenshots and videos so I can always look at them or post them online.

Also, the tray folder is where your Sims and builds are stored so they appear in your Gallery. Having too many things in there will also make the game stutter, lag and crash. I had the same problem, and I eventually made folders and subfolders in Documents to store copies of every build and Sim I've made so I have backups.

I hope this helps and made sense. :)
    "That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero." - Stan Lee
  • Options
    Afraid ive made sure all the folders are cleared :(

Im gutted i cant play it
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    Is something else tying up system resources? Open up task manager and check CPU and hard disk usage.

Are you running low on hard disk space?

Have you scanned for malware? It might be worth a try.
  • Options
    I always make sure things are deleted.

I only use my pc for the sims 4 and internet searching.

:(
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,596 Member
    edited January 2018
    Have you tested on a new save game and on the same lot to see if it still stutters? Could be the lot problem or just your current save.

Also, in game options, make sure VSync is enabled.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,596 Member
    Hello
    Try making sure that your graphics drivers are uptodate. Try lowering your graphics settings and see if that helps. Lower the ingame screen resolution in game options,
    Try playing in windowed mode.

Try resetting your sims 4 folder and see if that helps. To do that, move your sims 4 folder ( that is in Documents -Electronic Arts - then the sims 4 folder is there ) to the desktop. Then start the game, and a new sims 4 folder will be generated. Exit the game and then copy back the "options.ini" or " options " file and the "saves" , "screenshots" "tray" "custom music " and "mods" folders from the desktop sims 4 folder to the new sims 4 folder, replacing the new generated file/ folders with the old file/folders from the desktop sims 4 folder

Try turning off origin in-game and see if that helps. To do that, go,to Game Library in Origin . Right click on The Sims 4 picture. Click on “Game Properties”. Then untick the box that enables origin in-game

Try playing in off line mode and see if that helps.

If your sims live in San Myshuno, try moving them to another world

If the issues remain, could you please post your DxDiag info here.
    To gather a DXDIAG on your computer, do this :
    Press and hold the Windows key and the letter R on your keyboard
    You will see a Run box in the lower-left corner of your screen
    Type dxdiag in the text field
    Click OK
    Click the Save All Information button, found on the bottom of the DXDIAG report

After you have saved your dxdiag info on your computer, go to the pastebin site
    https://pastebin.com
    and copy/paste all the dxdiag info into the white box there. Press the button to create the new paste/pastebin text file.
    Then post the web address of your dxdiag info here in this thread
  • Options
    Thanks guys will try them.

@rosemow is it safe to send my DXDIAGS online?
  • Options
    RosiaMia_ wrote: »
    Thanks guys will try them.

@rosemow is it safe to send my DXDIAGS online?

Yes, it is safe. There is no identifiable information in a DXDiag report.
  • Options
    Mythx31Mythx31 Posts: 1 New Member
    I'm having this problem now. I downloaded seasons and it was fine for like 5 days then all of a sudden it's so laggy I can't play. Ive taken out my CC I've tried changing my graphics to very low. I have a beefy computer so it's not the problem. Something is wrong and there's no one who knows how to fix it
  • Options
    Mythx31 wrote: »
    I'm having this problem now. I downloaded seasons and it was fine for like 5 days then all of a sudden it's so laggy I can't play. Ive taken out my CC I've tried changing my graphics to very low. I have a beefy computer so it's not the problem. Something is wrong and there's no one who knows how to fix it

Hello @Mythx31
    Could you please post your DxDiag info here.
    To gather a DXDIAG on your computer, do this :
    Press and hold the Windows key and the letter R on your keyboard
    You will see a Run box in the lower-left corner of your screen
    Type dxdiag in the text field
    Click OK
    Click the Save All Information button, found on the bottom of the DXDIAG report

After you have saved your dxdiag info on your computer, go to the pastebin site https://pastebin.com
    and copy/paste the dxdiag info into the white box there. Press the button to create the new paste/pastebin text file.
    Then post here in this thread the web address of your dxdiag info that is on the pastebin site. You will need to replace the http in the address with h.t.t.p as you are a new member and can’t post links.