March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

- The Sims 4 help, troubleshooting & BUG Thread -

Comments

• BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    help me please! i loaded the game it went fine then when i went and clicked on my household it just stuck on the loading screen and it's been like this for almost 20 minutes. im really scared something wrong i've looked up stuff but it's all for windows and they all say use task manager to close it but there is no task manager on mac please help me! im crying im so worried what if it's my computer and i can't play sims anymore?!!! i don't know what any of that fancy information is like the graphics specs stuff. i've tried uitting the app using CTRL+C and CTRL+CLICK->QUIT and nothing's working!

Hold down CMD and the press the tab key to select Finder in your screen. Then click on the Apple in the menu bar then Force Quit. Choose the game then click Force Quit.
    apple-signature.png
  • EmberiskEmberisk Posts: 16 New Member
    I have the cats and dogs expansion and whenever i try to make a pet they are like made of light. When i adjust them it goes away but when i finish adjusting it goes back to the weird light thing. Please help
  • scott_andrews92scott_andrews92 Posts: 16 New Member
    My game lags, a lot. I may have to set the graphics settings to "Medium" instead of "High." Could also be because of the CC I've installed, then to go automatically into the game, or that I have web browsers open, too. I'll try it again in a day or two to maybe see if the lag is gone!
  • 71love71love Posts: 4 New Member
    Hello, I’ve been noticing a problem with my game and I’m unsure how to fix it.

I’ve been playing the Sims 4 on my Mac ever since it was released and I’ve never had an issue with the game in any way. I stopped playing sims for about a month and have recently gotten back into playing it. However now my game is lagging and is very slow.

I don’t have any mods, and I’ve tried repairing the game, completely starting over with new sims, and I’ve even deleted the sims 4 folder and started over completely fresh.

While doing that I noticed that the lagging only seems to occur with the families that are vampires, any other family doesn’t lag and the game works fine.

Could it have been the recent update I did to the game or is it something completely different? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks! (I have posted this elsewhere and they suggested putting it here)
    71love wrote: »
    Hello, I’ve been noticing a problem with my game and I’m unsure how to fix it.

I’ve been playing the Sims 4 on my Mac ever since it was released and I’ve never had an issue with the game in any way. I stopped playing sims for about a month and have recently gotten back into playing it. However now my game is lagging and is very slow.

I don’t have any mods, and I’ve tried repairing the game, completely starting over with new sims, and I’ve even deleted the sims 4 folder and started over completely fresh.

While doing that I noticed that the lagging only seems to occur with the families that are vampires, any other family doesn’t lag and the game works fine.

Could it have been the recent update I did to the game or is it something completely different? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks! (I have posted this elsewhere and they suggested putting it here)

After you trashed your Sims 4 folder did you then change the graphics options in game again?

apple-signature.png
  • sasha_horansasha_horan Posts: 4 New Member
    Hi idk if anyone else has had this problem with their game but I was curious to see if I was the only one who has this bug where they can't have their sims freeze? Like at first my sim couldn't pick up his child and then the child got into a state where I couldn't perform any action because she would just reset constantly. As soon as I could click on an action it would disappear from the task bar thing. Basically I couldn't have them do anything, and even worse it spread from the child to my sim. I know there has been a new patch and I just recently got the Cats and Dogs expansion so it could be my CC/mods acting up because I haven't updated them in a while but I just wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this too and know what could cause it?
    @BluebellFlora

Yes I have changed the graphics and it still lags. It only seems to lag when I play a save with a vampire in it. I'm currently playing one without any vampires and it is perfectly fine. I'm hoping it's just a bug.
    71love wrote: »
    @BluebellFlora

Yes I have changed the graphics and it still lags. It only seems to lag when I play a save with a vampire in it. I'm currently playing one without any vampires and it is perfectly fine. I'm hoping it's just a bug.

Can you go into Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 4 and trash the Options.ini file. This resets all your graphics settings to default based on your Mac. Which Mac do you have?

apple-signature.png
    Hi idk if anyone else has had this problem with their game but I was curious to see if I was the only one who has this bug where they can't have their sims freeze? Like at first my sim couldn't pick up his child and then the child got into a state where I couldn't perform any action because she would just reset constantly. As soon as I could click on an action it would disappear from the task bar thing. Basically I couldn't have them do anything, and even worse it spread from the child to my sim. I know there has been a new patch and I just recently got the Cats and Dogs expansion so it could be my CC/mods acting up because I haven't updated them in a while but I just wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this too and know what could cause it?

Does it happen when you move out your Mods folder?

apple-signature.png
    @BluebellFlora

I did try that and it didn’t work, I don’t typically play around with the game settings so I do t think anything would have been changed. I have a late 2013 MacBook Pro.
  • Simmerforlife29Simmerforlife29 Posts: 5 New Member
    My mac will freeze before it goes into the loading screen to create a sim or play a household. Please can you help? This is the first time this has happend. Help me!
    My mac will freeze before it goes into the loading screen to create a sim or play a household. Please can you help? This is the first time this has happend. Help me!

Your Mac freezes? Or your game freezes? Go into Documents > Electronic Arts and move the Sims 4 folder to the desktop then launch your game - does it still happen?

apple-signature.png
  • rh2006fanrh2006fan Posts: 49 Member
    My gameplay has been fine, for the past 2-3 years of having the game, and only now am I starting to get some major issues with Mods/CC

I have a huge mod folder, and I got Cats and Dogs last night, and I have MC Command Center downloaded- but ever since I downloaded Cats and Dogs, my mods haven't shown up at the startup (and i have the box ticked for it)..like, the game's playable, but I miss all the mods.
  • rh2006fanrh2006fan Posts: 49 Member
    And I forgot the Mac specs..

MacOS Sierra

MacBook Pro (Late 2013)
    Processor -2 GHz Intel Core i7
    Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Startup Disk; Mactintosh HD
    Graphics- Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    Did you re-download the updated mods to work with the latest expansions in the game? Always check to make sure that any mods and CC are updated to work with the latest patch or expansion/stuff/game packs.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • bettyfanbettyfan Posts: 3 New Member
    Hello. I have a problem and I can't find a solution. A while ago I installed The Sims 4 and DLCs by Origin. Everything worked fine but when I wanted to play after some break, the game won't open. I uninstalled the game, installed again and the same thing happened - it worked for some time and then it stopped. When I want to launch the game from the folder it says that files are incomplete or damaged (the icon is grey) and when I want to launch it from Origin I don't even have the "play" option, just "download" and it starts from the begging, all 12 gb, I have to choose language etc. The game takes space on my disc like usual but I can't open it. I have iCloud synchronised with Desktop and Documents folders and I want it to be as I need my files on other devices. I thought that maybe Mac is somehow transferring part of data on iCloud and my computer can't access that but I installed The Sims in different folders and places and it keeps happening. I also thought that maybe Electronic Arts folder, which is being created on its own at Documents, transfers to iCloud but first, I don't know how to change the location of this folder, and second, it it created after the first game launch so I don't see a reason why the whole game would stop working as it doesn't need this folder to launch.
    Now I have Origin original installation folder which is: Users/me/Applications and Electronic Arts folder is created in iCloud/Documents.
    Also, I don't have The Sims icon in Applications on Dock in Applications. I have no idea why, it is present in: MacbookPro/me/Users/me/Applications. And there is inly Sim icon there.
    I have a Macbook Pro 2014 High Sierra (but it also happened in Sierra).
    Please help me, I have run out if ideas how to fix it...
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    I think the iCloud is the problem as the files should be stores directly on your computer to run properly. This was apparently also a problem with Windows as well. I have iCloud turned off on my computer and think you can turn it off on certain files from the System Preferences folder.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
    I can turn on and off only Desktop and Documents as one option. The thing is I need them to be stored on iCloud as I need access to my files from my phone. Is there any way to change the automatic location of Electronic Arts folder?
    The game freezes. And i have moved the folder onto the desktop but now Origin will not open. And when i try to open it from applications it will not start.
    nevermind i did what you told me and then turned my mac off and on and its working now! Thanks!!!
    bettyfan wrote: »
    I can turn on and off only Desktop and Documents as one option. The thing is I need them to be stored on iCloud as I need access to my files from my phone. Is there any way to change the automatic location of Electronic Arts folder?

No, unfortunately not. Your game will recreate a new Sims 4 folder every time you launch the game if it cannot find an existing one.

apple-signature.png
    My game is fixed but my CC and Mods don't show up when i load up the game. I turned on cc and scrip mods, exited the game, and when i came back in, they still wouldn't show up! How can i fix it? :/
    > @BluebellFlora said:
    > bettyfan wrote: »
    >
    > I can turn on and off only Desktop and Documents as one option. The thing is I need them to be stored on iCloud as I need access to my files from my phone. Is there any way to change the automatic location of Electronic Arts folder?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > No, unfortunately not. Your game will recreate a new Sims 4 folder every time you launch the game if it cannot find an existing one.

So I can't find a solution for that. Can anyone tell me where do you have you Sims installed? And If you have iCloud for Desktop and Documents on?
    @bettyfan

The game is installed in your Applications folder, via Origin. Your user data is in your Documents folder, the one which you want to change but is not possible. You can choose to install the game on an external drive but your user data will still always be stored in Documents > Electronic Arts.

Your only option would be to install a copy of High Sierra on an external, bootable drive. Install Origin and the game in that installation then boot up from that drive when you want to play the game. You can then turn off iCloud Drive on that installation so no issue with your user data.
    apple-signature.png
  • vanillabeannvanillabeann Posts: 1 New Member
    In Live mode, i can't see any furniture or sims. When i zoom out of the house i can see all the outside walls, etc. including the roof. i've tried going up and down levels, but when i click the up arrow both become greyed out. it happened randomly while i was sending my sim to the kitchen to grab a quick meal. i've exited the game but it hasn't done anything. Please help!