Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Autonomous hugging more annoying than ever!

So, when I want my sim family to talk with each other while eating, they always stand up first to hug each other before they sit down again and finally talk. It's really annoying and doesn't make any sense to me. The autonomous hugging was already annoying, but this brings it to a whole new level. Is anyone else having this problem and has some advice? I already play with free will off, but it still happens.
Origin ID: Huiiie_07

I like to build stuff

Comments

• MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I feel your pain I have this problem. Not just with eating but interrupting random activities like watching tv.

Sadly I don't have any advice. My game is mod free and cc free so I know its not that. I'm beginning to think getting sims to sit down at a table and have a meal together is too difficult to code or something. :/
  • Huiiie_07Huiiie_07 Posts: 1,200 Member
    I feel your pain I have this problem. Not just with eating but interrupting random activities like watching tv.

Sadly I don't have any advice. My game is mod free and cc free so I know its not that. I'm beginning to think getting sims to sit down at a table and have a meal together is too difficult to code or something. :/

Now that you mentioned it, I think it also happened in my game when they watched tv. But I'm glad it isn't because of mods or cc, because I have plenty of it in my game and wouldn't have had the nerves to sort it all out to see if that's the cause of the issue.
    The odd thing is that this didn't occur before I had a longer break from the game, so it must have come with a patch in the meantime. I hope it's not intended because that would be awful.

I like to build stuff
  • AnjaSAnjaS Posts: 15 Member
    I think it came either with a patch or with the Cats and Dogs EP as I have noticed it when I bought it and played it for the first time. It really annoys me as well. It happens with most of the sims if they have enough relationship level, it can be a hug or a kiss in the cheek when it comes to couples. I hope they fix it, because personally I consider it a bug.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited January 2018
    I must say I sympathize with the creators on this. All this nagging about robotic sims that never showed affection autonomously. In a game fcol. So this time they took care of that by adding this constant showing off affection, but it just doesn’t work does it. Next time: leave it to the player again. Or to rare autonomous moments where it actually makes total sense for sims to hug. And by total I mean total. Not just every kid automatically hugging a parent, regardless their relationship.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • JestinaJestina Posts: 1,609 Member
    In Windenburg they do the annoying cheek kissing. I thought that map was German inspired and i'm sure they don't do cheek kissing in Deutschland. And yes it is annoying that they still play musical chairs in TS4 which makes them consume an hour or two for a task that should take ten minutes.
  • ravynwolvfravynwolvf Posts: 1,073 Member
    Jestina wrote: »
    In Windenburg they do the annoying cheek kissing. I thought that map was German inspired and i'm sure they don't do cheek kissing in Deutschland. And yes it is annoying that they still play musical chairs in TS4 which makes them consume an hour or two for a task that should take ten minutes.

So THAT'S why I haven't seen the cheek kissing for a while...because it only happens in Windenburg? Now I realize that when it became incredibly annoying, that's where I was.
    Yeah, I just came here to post about this very thing. I can't remember the last time my Sims finished a meal sitting down. It would be fine to have pre-greeting like this if they did it with some sense; If either of the Sims are sitting, they should give a little wave or something instead of getting up. I've tried to go in and mod and nuke the flippin' things, but it's lead to all sorts of strange things (such as kids giving you a romantic kiss instead, and starting a romantic relationship) and I can't kill it all together. I wish someone with a better skill set would give it a go.
  • kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    I must say I sympathize with the creators on this. All this nagging about robotic sims that never showed affection autonomously. In a game fcol. So this time they took care of that by adding this constant showing off affection, but it just doesn’t work does it. Next time: leave it to the player again. Or to rare autonomous moments where it actually makes total sense for sims to hug. And by total I mean total. Not just every kid automatically hugging a parent, regardless their relationship.

I see it as a case of being careful what you wish for. I've seen many posts in the past asking for sims to have more AI and more autonomous actions. I never agreed back then, and I still don't. I felt having too much would cause the exact problems it causes. It takes the game out of the player's hands and causes frustration.

Anyway, people got what they asked for. They should be happy they got it. All I can do is hope they don't continue with this mess in the next iteration.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
    I agree with all your posts so far. @AnjaS, it must have come with the patch, because I don't have the Cats and Dogs ep and still have this problem.

@JoAnne65 I actually never saw complaints about robotic sims in TS4 to be honest, but maybe I just didn't notice it. In my opinion, this hugging whenever they want to talk is more robotic and "forced" than anything else, it just didn't fix anything and like you said, it doesn't work like this.

However, I also noticed that they only hug family members. Couples usually do the kiss on cheek thingy, which also interrupts story-telling. For example, I have a couple that I planned to divorce soon. They argue regulary, and the kiss on cheek just looks out of place in this case. Friends don't do anything like this, they just talk, like all sims should do it.

@Jestina This actually made me laugh. I haven't noticed because I don't play in Windenburg, but I can tell you that cheek kissing isn't a thing here in Germany at all, so that's even more odd.

I like to build stuff
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited January 2018
    Huiiie_07 wrote: »
    I agree with all your posts so far. @AnjaS, it must have come with the patch, because I don't have the Cats and Dogs ep and still have this problem.

@JoAnne65 I actually never saw complaints about robotic sims in TS4 to be honest, but maybe I just didn't notice it. In my opinion, this hugging whenever they want to talk is more robotic and "forced" than anything else, it just didn't fix anything and like you said, it doesn't work like this.

However, I also noticed that they only hug family members. Couples usually do the kiss on cheek thingy, which also interrupts story-telling. For example, I have a couple that I planned to divorce soon. They argue regulary, and the kiss on cheek just looks out of place in this case. Friends don't do anything like this, they just talk, like all sims should do it.

@Jestina This actually made me laugh. I haven't noticed because I don't play in Windenburg, but I can tell you that cheek kissing isn't a thing here in Germany at all, so that's even more odd.
    No, the complaints were about sims in TS3 and the sims in 4 are a reaction to that. I actually complain and have complained about sims in 4 feeling like robots, for the same reasons you give. For me it started when my sim got a son with a man she hardly knew and not only did this man insist on keeping visiting her, he'd also consequently be hugged by his son, who didn't have a clue who the fellow was in my mind. It's the same with your example of the couple that is about to get a divorce.

They have been programmed to act more spontaneous, but since they always repeat the very same actions, always and regardless the situation, it feels robotic. When such actions are left to the player's direction, our emotions are behind them instead of a mechanical code. It’s exactly like Kremesch says: be careful what you wish for.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • missmani09missmani09 Posts: 692 Member
    Agreed. They need to tone down the hugging
    Toddlers are FINALLY HERE!!!
  • DominicLaurenceDominicLaurence Posts: 3,398 Member
    I actually find it all right, it's a pretty common habit where I live.

But in my game at least they differ the greeting from sim to sim.
    ID: StGerris
    Legacy Photomode
    I actually find it all right, it's a pretty common habit where I live.

But in my game at least they differ the greeting from sim to sim.

It's not the common autonomous hugging, I just play with free will off to prevent it, but when I, for example, have a family that eats dinner together and I direct them to talk, they both stand up to hug each other, just to sit down again and eventually beginning a conversation. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I couldn't believe that this is a common habit anywhere in the world :D

I like to build stuff
    I made a very small mod I've been using in my game, and I've personally seen big differences; it's like a whole new (or old) game, and it's been much more pleasant to play. It puts a long timeout on the greetings (there appears to have already been one in place, and I just made it A LOT longer). I haven't seen a "stand up and wait for my wife to come over and hug me" for a couple of sim weeks. It doesn't work quite as well on community lots (and possibly if you bounce from house to house with very short times in-between in rotational play) because the game seems to create the need for the greetings all over again, but even there it seems a bit better. I uploaded it to Mod the Sims yesterday but they haven't done anything with it yet. Your mileage with it may vary, but I really found it helps.
    The mod I mentioned above is now live on Mod the Sims. I hope it helps people as much as it's helped my game; I've been playing on the same lot and haven't seen even one of these interactions for two sim weeks now. But it does have some limitations as I mentioned.
  • VINTAVAVINTAVA Posts: 22 Member
    > @Jestina said:
    > In Windenburg they do the annoying cheek kissing. I thought that map was German inspired and i'm sure they don't do cheek kissing in Deutschland. And yes it is annoying that they still play musical chairs in TS4 which makes them consume an hour or two for a task that should take ten minutes.

lol!
  • AprilDawnAprilDawn Posts: 795 Member
    I agree - wish they would just get rid of all these invisible autonomous interactions - you don't even see it in the queue so you don't even know what is going on. It was already difficult enough to get sims to sit at a table and eat. One of my sims got up from eating at the table (as usual - sigh) - apparently his fox wanted a hug - so food in one hand and picks up fox to hug with other hand - the one with the fork - fox ends up being part of the fork/hand and he ends up kneeling on the ground and eating his food with his fox fork! Funny - but annoying when this stuff keeps happening constantly and making it take hours just to eat some food!
  • fewlinesfewlines Posts: 1,488 Member
    edited March 2018
    hi all. i do like it when they choose to hug on their own. but it does interrupt other actions a little too often. it's like a "filler" autonomous thing, true... and sometimes it makes no sense. how many times in a row can you hug all of your housemates? ;)

it's like... their trying to be more spontaneous, as was mentioned above. but when the same interaction is used all the time, it starts losing meaning. or just gets weird. like hugging... after/during an awkward conversation.

and when you send your Sim to the pub, or somewhere... a group of Sims might show up, right? so those who are friends with will hug your own to say hello. then they leave, but show up again a little later--and that means more hugs!

and... i like hugs! but sometimes, waving is enough! XD

(by the way, this is specifically why i (kind of) woke up this thread: in case you don't know, this issue is being discussed here at EA Answers HQ.)