Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 Xbox One exclusively for Prime Members?

If you have been shopping on Amazon, you probably came across this before. Amazon's move of making items exclusively for Prime Members has drawn controversy where Amazon will refuse to sell the item to non-Prime users unless they get Amazon Prime.

I decided to check Amazon for The Sims 4 and noticed that TS4 on Xbox One has been listed as exclusively for Prime Members but you'll notice that TS4 is still $50 USD.
J8HKmE8.png
Note the lack of the Buy and get code button and allows you to buy the product. Interestingly enough, the retail version and the code for Deluxe Party Edition aren't Prime exclusive nor are any of the TS4 games on PS4 and Windows/macOS.

This is a common problem on Amazon where items that "exclusively for Prime members" are sold at the same price that other stores are also selling at if not cheaper than Amazon meaning anyone could simply buy the product from a rival store such as eBay, Walmart, Best Buy, Target, and Newegg if they're also selling it at the same price and pay only the product's price sans the Prime Membership price.
Origin ID: GothicSimmer, YouTube: GothicSimmer

Comments

• PolluxSimsPolluxSims Posts: 318 Member
    Is this only for digital codes or for hard copies of the game too? I never realized Amazon did this, I wonder if EA approved of it or not.
    Read my Sawyer Legacy Simlit on Wordpress
    - Origin ID: PolluxSims -
  • WinMacSims3WinMacSims3 Posts: 1,610 Member
    So far, only the Xbox One digital version of the standard edition is Prime exclusive, the retail versions on Xbox One and the Deluxe Party Edition code for Xbox One aren't Prime Exclusive. All The Sims 4 products on PlayStation 4 on Windows/macOS remain available to all Amazon users.
  • WinMacSims3WinMacSims3 Posts: 1,610 Member
    Now it seems Amazon is making downloads/digital codes exclusively for Prime Members rather than just physical copies. First The Sims 4 on Xbox One and now Fallout 4 (and its Season Pass) and Uncharted: The Lost Legacy on PS4?

I wonder if EA is aware of Amazon making TS4 Prime Exclusive because I would doubt that EA would intend TS4 to be exclusively for Prime Members especially when TS4 doesn't advertise or mention about requiring Amazon Prime. The description for both the physical/retail and download codes on Amazon don't say anything about Amazon Prime or Twitch Prime and I don't think anything in the game's Origin page, The Sims Forums, The Sims' news, The Sims' official website and even The Sims' official Facebook and Twitter pages mention about requiring Amazon/Twitch Prime. Fallout 4 and Uncharted: The Lost Legacy also lack any mention of Amazon/Twitch Prime so I would also doubt if Bethesda or Sony intended Fallout 4 to only be available to Prime Members.

This practice makes me wonder if Amazon could be sued by this practice by requiring Amazon Prime when in fact it's not required because it could be false advertising or tying depending on how this is viewed.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    This could just be an outdated listing. The ‘preload’ in the title makes me think this was a prime exclusive when it was only for pre-order, and just hasn’t been updated since the game released. I figure if they wanted Sims 4 as a prime exclusive they wouldn’t only offer one specific version.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited January 2018
    Amazon has thier own DL service and I see they store your codes for the game, I do not see any wrong doing on this part especially if any copies that are sold under this method are paid for by Amazon prior to those copies being sold to the customer. Gamestop had an service that did the same thing. Also, Amazon uses third parties that do sell the product. Amazon offering an service to those that are members by storing the codes which normally are not provided in the event if you lose codes brought by any other means, I see no wrong in this practice being EA gets thier cut of the profits. It is just one of the benefits that Prime members get.
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • DougyDougy Posts: 47 Member
    [quote="Goldmoldar;c-16245564"]Amazon has thier own DL service and I see they store your codes for the game, I do not see any wrongdoing on this part especially if any copies that are sold under this method are paid for by Amazon prior to those copies being sold to the customer. Gamestop had an service that did the same thing. Also, Amazon uses third parties that do sell the product. Amazon offering an service to those that are members by storing the codes which normally are not provided in the event if you lose codes brought by any other means, I see no wrong in this practice being EA gets thier cut of the profits. It is just one of the benefits that Prime members get. [/quote]

I totally agree . If they buy those codes outright then it's fair for them to charge accordingly to their prime members