Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Please give options for aging up Sims that actually work instead of the constantly glitching cakes!!

I'm not sure why the reliable and functional mechanics from the Sims 3 were replaced with an unnecessarily complex mechanic that works sporadically and that you never seem to fix. Right now I have toddlers that I can't age up. My sim baked literally every cake from both cooking skills (which are both maxed) and none of them have an option to add candles. Every time I have a birthday it takes 5-6 attempts to get a cake that works. I'm not exaggerating. Every time.

Trust me. Just buying the cakes from build/buy in TS3 was more fun and more reliable. Even if this silly mechanic actually worked it would add nothing to the gameplay. Plus in the Sims 3 we had multiple options to age up Sims. Now we have one, and it rarely works. You've fixed it several times in the patch notes, BUT YOU NEVER FIX IT IN THE GAME!!!!!! It always glitches out again.

Please give us reliable methods for aging up sims. Please give us more than one. Please. Please. Please. Make it work reliably. I'd really love to just buy birthday cakes in buy mode again. Seriously. It was better.

/Endrant

Comments

• plushtrap_107plushtrap_107 Posts: 1,435 Member
    I think I can help with that :) For some reason, the cake has to be positioned so it is pushed further back on the kitchen surface. If it's at the front, the "Add birthday candles" option isn't there. When you push it to the back, you can add candles.
  • VraieVraie Posts: 196 Member
    I agree with the OP on this one, I hate that they have to cook a cake and then place it and then get the candles on it before someone else starts eating the cake. I would like there to be an easier way for a sim to age up than this, especially since not getting the cake age up makes them depressed about a forgotten birthday. It's a cute idea to be able to do it with a cake cooking, but it would be great to have another option as well. Besides, all that happens is then the kids end up eating cake instead of waiting for sims to cook as the cake becomes leftovers or goes rotten and then you have toddlers and sugar high crashes and...yeah. Not fun. One of my sim families was literally living on cake at one point because I gave up trying to make them cook :neutral:

Also, if it's a vampire, and vampires can't necessarily eat the cake, birthday cake aging up leads to violent sickness and discomfort. They know they can't eat it, but they end up eating it anyway, because it's there. And it creates washing up that they shouldn't have to do because they don't eat human food. There must be another way for vampires to age up than cake once they've fully obtained their powers.
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,934 Member
    meubanks wrote: »
    I'm not sure why the reliable and functional mechanics from the Sims 3 were replaced with an unnecessarily complex mechanic that works sporadically and that you never seem to fix. Right now I have toddlers that I can't age up. My sim baked literally every cake from both cooking skills (which are both maxed) and none of them have an option to add candles. Every time I have a birthday it takes 5-6 attempts to get a cake that works. I'm not exaggerating. Every time.

Trust me. Just buying the cakes from build/buy in TS3 was more fun and more reliable. Even if this silly mechanic actually worked it would add nothing to the gameplay. Plus in the Sims 3 we had multiple options to age up Sims. Now we have one, and it rarely works. You've fixed it several times in the patch notes, BUT YOU NEVER FIX IT IN THE GAME!!!!!! It always glitches out again.

Please give us reliable methods for aging up sims. Please give us more than one. Please. Please. Please. Make it work reliably. I'd really love to just buy birthday cakes in buy mode again. Seriously. It was better.

/Endrant

Multiple options to age up? Please tell me.

It is possible to age sim up with cheats. For that, you'll need to enter testingcheats on, aging set on and then enter this cheat:
    sims.age_up [simID]

SimID is optional. If you don't put it, the currently selected sim will age up.
  • catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    I do it in CAS, easy, simple, no cakes.
  • geoffreypageoffreypa Posts: 355 Member
    edited January 2018
    The last 2 posts
    EgonVM wrote: »

/Endrant

It is possible to age sim up with cheats. For that, you'll need to enter testingcheats on, aging set on and then enter this cheat:
    sims.age_up [simID]

catitude5 wrote: »
    I do it in CAS, easy, simple, no cakes.
    Really go against the point the game is a game cheats and cas aside there aren't any other options but mods dont blame the consumer please :)

• MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    It is silly that the cake is so buggy. If its not as described by the original poster then the second the cake is made before you can get a candle on it, some sim has swiped a slice. Why we can't have a cake I don't know. It worked in the Sims 2 +3 perfectly fine. Choices.
  • meubanksmeubanks Posts: 445 Member

/Endrant

sims.age_up [simID]

The problem with using cheats is that earned skills and traits don't always carry over by that method. If I've taken the time to max out the skills/ aspirations, I don't want to lose out on the reward for doing so. My big complaint is that this mechanic is more complicated than it needs to be, and that the extra complexity doesn't really add to the experience. Plus, this way forces you to level up cooking. Sometimes I only buy a fridge to keep the boneheads from starting fires. In any case, this post was written in the immediacy of my frustration, but I regret nothing. lol They probably won't fix it, but I feel better for having asserted myself.
  • plushtrap_107plushtrap_107 Posts: 1,435 Member
    I also noticed that when aging Sims up in CAS, it doesn't reset the age bar. I'm playing my latest game with aging on sometimes and then off sometimes. A kid was nearly ready to become a teenager and I was impatient and aged him u[p in CAS. When I looked at his age bar, it was still nearly full and he was now almost ready to become a young adult.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited January 2018
    I also noticed that when aging Sims up in CAS, it doesn't reset the age bar. I'm playing my latest game with aging on sometimes and then off sometimes. A kid was nearly ready to become a teenager and I was impatient and aged him u[p in CAS. When I looked at his age bar, it was still nearly full and he was now almost ready to become a young adult.
    That’s worse than in TS3 where taking a sim into CAS messes up their age as well, often by throwing back to the start of their life stage. That at least you can direct (by aging them when they should; sorry but sometimes TS3 feels as solid as a rock when I read topics like this and everybody knows how far from the truth that is).
    5JZ57S6.png
  • QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    ^ It was especially annoying because getting tattoos, makeovers, or plastic surgery (probably, I didn’t use pets) counted, so if you had a sim do those things they were reset to one day into the lifestage.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    QueenMercy wrote: »
    ^ It was especially annoying because getting tattoos, makeovers, or plastic surgery (probably, I didn’t use pets) counted, so if you had a sim do those things they were reset to one day into the lifestage.
    Yes, and never fixed. Praise Mastercontroller. Any action other than mirror or wardrobe messes with age in the game.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    I think I can help with that :) For some reason, the cake has to be positioned so it is pushed further back on the kitchen surface. If it's at the front, the "Add birthday candles" option isn't there. When you push it to the back, you can add candles.
    This.

It took me ages to figure it out.
    If the cake isn't positioned where a sim can blow out the candles, then you won't get the option to add candles. It might take a few tries to get it in the right spot, but when it is, you will be able to add candles.

I wish cakes weren't edible until the are 'served' or until after whatever celebration thing happens.

AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,934 Member

/Endrant

sims.age_up [simID]

The problem with using cheats is that earned skills and traits don't always carry over by that method. If I've taken the time to max out the skills/ aspirations, I don't want to lose out on the reward for doing so. My big complaint is that this mechanic is more complicated than it needs to be, and that the extra complexity doesn't really add to the experience. Plus, this way forces you to level up cooking. Sometimes I only buy a fridge to keep the boneheads from starting fires. In any case, this post was written in the immediacy of my frustration, but I regret nothing. lol They probably won't fix it, but I feel better for having asserted myself.

After reading that, I think you should repair the game.
    This cheat forces the event that happens when the aging bar is full (death by old age and age up with sad moodlet). If aging up removes traits and skills, it is a glitch (that may be caused by mods). Age ups should replace toddler skills with child skills, remove child skills and remove toddler traits and phase traits, not any random trait, reward trait or skill that just sim happens to have.
    Remove the mods and CC, right-click on The Sims 4 in Origin and choose Repair game. After that, open the game without mods and CC try aging up by the cake (Put the cake in the middle of the dining table for you to be able to add candles) and try short lifespan and wait for sim to automatically age up. Then try this cheat and see what it does. Then add mods and CC back and see if it stays the same.

Additional information: Before the toddlers came, you could only put the cake in the middle of the table and little pushed back on the counters (And on the stand on the buffet table in Luxury Party stuff). After the toddlers came, you can put the cake anywhere on the table, counter, buffet table you want. However, if not placed on the spots you were restricted to before (in the middle of table), the game would see that as any regular food, thus removing the abiltiy to put the birthday candles and wedding toppers, blow the candles out, cut the wedding cake and to remove the candles and wedding toppers.
    At least they've fixed a bug (that came with toddlers) where sim after finishing making a cake takes out a piece for the toddler. Even the developers had that bug in their lifestream.
  • TheHavocadoTheHavocado Posts: 607 Member
    My go to is always like this : Lock kitchen door, bake. While serving animation is initated (but not completed) resetsim, then add birthday candle. If you have GTW, clone one, and then save one of them in your household inventory. Clone everytime you need one. (Not always succeds, but a lot faster).
    Me, when triggered:
    CPwGluP.gif
    "All this negativity doesn't add up."
  • TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    I hear you, OP. Drives me crazy that Sims can take slices of cake when I've already put candles on it. 'GRANDMA! THAT WAS FOR THE KID!'
  • geoffreypageoffreypa Posts: 355 Member
    rofl LOL rofl