Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

**TS3* Build-n-Share Challenge #236 **Empty Nest** **Due 31st March 2021**

Comments

• cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    Some things like toilets, sinks, and mirrors can not be adjusted with alt. They will go to the center of the grid or the center between two grids and that is all. Not even the disablesnappingtoslotsonalt cheat will work on them. Trust me I've tried!
  • creativemetaphorcreativemetaphor Posts: 1,543 Member
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM #197 - Familia

NAME: creativemetaphor

LINK TO LOT: N/A

LINK TO MEDIA: We Three Kings
    14-christmas-morning-6.jpg

OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: included in above

LEVEL: advanced

LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: 20x30, custom placed in Lucky Palms, final cost 39,978

LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: Build and family description included in picture link.

Mateo's story:
    The boy, so young to have so much weight on his shoulders, sat crying on the back steps of the house, speaking through the tears with a cracking voice.

He had been at the beach when the earthquake hit, and with no way to make it home directly he had been swept up in the helping those closest around him. He followed after a response crew and helped dig people out of the rubble, gave water to the elderly and even helped reunite a child with its mother.

Light faded to darkness, and he helped under spotlights and headlamps to clear streets so emergency vehicles could push deeper into the town. It was almost 24-hours later when one of the other volunteers told him he needed to sit down for a while, have something to eat and drink. He couldn't save everyone else if he didn't look after himself.

Once he had been checked in to one of the shelters, he asked about his family. But there had been a mix-up in paperwork, a wrong number scribbled down, or perhaps misread on the other end, and his address had been listed as having no survivors. Mateo was only seventeen, and still considered a child, so against his protests of wanting to go to his house and look himself, he was sent to first a children's shelter, then a foster home.

Like Sophia and Adrian, the home was not the kindest place. He tried to go look for his home a few days later, only to have the father threaten to call the police and have him arrested as a run-away and a thief. The thief part? That was for trying to leave the house wearing the clean shirt he had been given while his own clothes were being laundered.

"I lost everything. Everyone I loved, they are all gone. My little baby sister and brother... how can such a thing happen?"

"Oh Mateo," the kindly voice said, and put a hand on his shoulder. "I may not have the power to bring back the dead, but the living I can reunite! Come with me, for I have the best gift of all for three children this night!"

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes please

CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED: n/a
    @mederouin Stunning build! I love earth-ship homes, and that is a fantastic execution of one! I especially love the 'park' and play area on the roof <3
    @ciane Oh thank you :)
  • BuildnShareBuildnShare Posts: 4,061 Member
    Morning all!! Due to the holidays, the new challenge will not be up until tomorrow! Hope you all had a wonderful festive period and we wish you all the best for this New Year.
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • noisybrainnoisybrain Posts: 145 Member

I missed the Third Sister challenge even though I had 2 builds almost completed. I was hoping to be able to enter #197 Familia late. I worked all month on two builds but with the holidays I was unable to get to the pictures. Finally I am now able to post the pics but have not uploaded the lot. This time I did not have the chance to create the Rivera family but I built the house with them in mind.
  • noisybrainnoisybrain Posts: 145 Member

NAME: noisybrain

LINK TO LOT: N/A

LINK TO MEDIA: https://flic.kr/s/aHskqPDn6v

OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: n/a

LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST:
    20x30, corner lot at junction of Sim Lane and Water Lilly Lane in Sunset Valley, $39,978

LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS:
    This House features 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms including a master bedroom en suite bathroom. A centered living room, spacious kitchen with a breakfast table, and a formal dining room adorn this small but spacious house. There is also a one car garage. A family friendly fenced in back yard and a fenced in front courtyard make enjoying the outdoors easy. The main entrance is covered with seating and a flagstone walkway to make any visitor feel welcome.

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: "yes"

CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED: n/a

SPACE FOR PICTURES:
    24570991917_734d0e6682_z.jpg
    24570986897_b076fbca59_n.jpg24570986487_df07bbf63c_n.jpg
    And.... #BnS197 Familia is now closed
    GArBA5W.jpg
    Challenge #198 - Sparks

'Why? Why did I do it?' you moan silently to yourself, your forehead resting on the surface of your drawing table. Your office is silent, except for the ticking of your clock, an artful piece gifted to you for Christmas. You listen intently to each second, counting them down in hopes that the aspirin you took would soon kick in and chase away the results of spending New Years at The Curtis's.

You knew that Douglas Curtis the 3rd would throw a massive shindig with enough champagne to swim in. But you couldn't get out of it. Your former receptionist, Rose, Douglas's new wife, had personally invited you. What else could you do but go? And of course, you had many old clients there. Clients who seemingly conspired to keep your glass full.

And now you're paying for it. 'Why won't the aspirin hurry up?' you whimper softly, closing your eyes. You wouldn't even have come into work today but you had scheduled a meeting with a potential new client. Silence, save for the ticking of the clock. Peace. Just as you felt yourself starting to drift off, the painkillers finally starting to pull the leading edge of the pain, your phone shrills.

Nearly frantic to end the ear piercing sound, you knock your coffee cup (thankfully empty) into your pencil container, spilling the pencils all over your desk. Finally, the sound, normally so pleasant, stops when you pull it up to your ear. "Hello?"

"Hello. This is Sparks. You asked me to let you know when I was at your front door." replies a warm male voice.

"Oh yes. I will be right out." You assure him. And you are true to your word. After a hurried scramble to clean up pencils and cup.

Sparks, as he introduced himself, turns out to be a good-looking man of apparently early forties, with a charming but professional smile. His smile matches the well-tailored suit that pretty much screams "Successful businessman." With the size of his company and his reputation in the technology field, you expected someone who looked older. His entire demeanour is relaxed and friendly as you lead him into your office and offer him a seat. Yet his sharp brown eyes don't seem to miss a detail, or the few pencils that fell to the floor that you missed in your frantic cleanup.

"Thank you for seeing me on New Years. I am grateful you were able to squeeze me in." He says, crossing his knees.

"Not at all." You assure him. "I understand you were in town on business."

"Well, mostly to visit my adopted daughter and her husband. You built a house for them. Aisu and Reggie?"

"Oh yes! I saw Aisu and their children in the supermarket yesterday."

He smiles, a smile less professional and more proud. "My grandkids. I won't lie and say that they aren't a big draw for the reason I'm here to see you today."

You pick up a pen, "And what can I do for you today Mr.Sparks?"

"Just Sparks," he said, brushing brown hair back. "I'm relocating my corporate headquarters here. I want to be closer to my family and this is a good place for my employees to raise their families. I need an office building." He chuckles as your jaw drops. "I understand that's a huge undertaking but I'm not asking you to decorate the entire building all at once. For now, I just need the building, a lobby and a penthouse office. As more of my employees transfer here, we will decorate their offices individually."

"So we're just starting with your office and the lobby?" you ask.

"That's correct."

"All right. Any particular style?"

"I'd like the exterior to blend in with the town. I also don't want a skyscraper, so no more than 4 floors. I'm looking to make my company part of the community, and that should start with our building. The interior I'd like a mixture of Asian and modern. Welcoming, but still crisp and clean. In my office I'd prefer a color scheme based on blues and whites."

"All of that is very doable." You assure him. "Can you give me a month?"

Sparks looks pleasantly surprised, "That would be great. Thanks."

"One more question."

"Yes?" He asks curiously.

"Whats my budget?" You smile.

"150,000 for the lobby, penthouse and office building."

BRIEF
    • 150k budget
    • Office building no less than 2 floors and no more than 4
    • Decorated penthouse with a color scheme based on blues/whites.
    • Decorated lobby
    • Prepared areas for additional offices.
    • Landscaping
    • The building should blend into the town that you choose to build it in.

Optional Challenge
      Create Sparks, from the details you have been given in the breif above and show him taking in his new offices.

OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM #198 - Sparks

NAME: your forum id

LINK TO LOT:

LINK TO MEDIA: your entry will be judged on your pictures

OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: if you entered the optional challenge, include a link here

LEVEL: beginner, intermediate, or advanced

LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST:

LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: tell us about your build, include any details and rationale that might not be obvious from your pictures

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: "yes" if you'd like suggestions for improvement, "no" if you'd like only positive feedback

CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED:

SPACE FOR PICTURES:
    GArBA5W.jpg
    @BuildnShare Awesome, love it!
    @noisybrain Oh how lovely! Very natural flow to the house :)
    edited January 2018
    @BuildnShare Oh, question - so it sounds as if we'll revisit this build in future, can you give an idea of how many offices are expected in the final product so we know how to layout the interior in anticipation?

Since you haven't answered yet I'll sneak another question in here - between 2 and 4 stories refers to height above ground or total number of floors including basement levels?
    Post edited by creativemetaphor on
    @creativemetaphor Think of your average office, think of all the people you would need to run it, so finance, tech, admin etc, that's what we're looking for.

And 2-4 stories total please.
    GArBA5W.jpg
    @buildnshare Thanks! Ideas are already percolating :)
    @buildnshare Thanks! Ideas are already percolating :)

@creativemetaphor - excellent!!
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • ZayvenZayven Posts: 67 Member
    I'm sorry I didn't get mine in! I spent forever doing it, and got my screenshots done. I was actually happy with it!! I just ended up suddenly having chest surgery last Friday and this is the first time I've been able to sit at a computer since. All is well, got the drains out today (hence the sitting here!) but it'll be a while before I can spend any serious time at the computer again I think. I'll still post it anyway when I can, just because I was actually proud of it this time! :D
    Zayven wrote: »
    I'm sorry I didn't get mine in! I spent forever doing it, and got my screenshots done. I was actually happy with it!! I just ended up suddenly having chest surgery last Friday and this is the first time I've been able to sit at a computer since. All is well, got the drains out today (hence the sitting here!) but it'll be a while before I can spend any serious time at the computer again I think. I'll still post it anyway when I can, just because I was actually proud of it this time! :D

Oh wow @Zayven - you poor thing!! I hope you are well now. If you can get your entry in today or tomorrow, we will judge it for you, honey. Wishing you a speedy recovery.
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • djsdragongirldjsdragongirl Posts: 843 Member
    This sounds like a fun build, I'll give it a try and hopefully be able to get it done by the due date. Busy month, but I'm sure I can slide it in.
    edited January 2018

NAME: Zayven

LINK TO LOT:

LINK TO MEDIA: https://postimg.org/gallery/1boddm7om/

OPTIONAL CHALLENGE:
    Screenshot.jpg
    Screenshot-3.jpg
    Screenshot-2.jpg
    Mateo: Loves to Swim, Workaholic, Good Sense of Humor, Good, Nurturing. Egyptian music, fruit parfait, color green.
    Mateo dreams of being a deep sea diver, making ends meat selling the things that he finds. He's good natured, soft spoken, and dedicated entirely to his family. He loves the extra present that was left for him the - the wind sail!
    Sophia: Workaholic, Over-emotional, adventurous. Indie, fruit parfait, pink
    Sophia is full of 🐸🐸🐸🐸 and intense focus, trying to take after her big brother in her own way, which includes an utter fascination with the ocean. Her favorite animal is the octopus, and she's always ready for the next thing.
    Adrian: Good Sense of Humor, Adventurous, Shy. Latin, Hot Dogs, Red
    Adrian is quiet and shy, but has weathered everything with an unforeseen bravery. He idolizes Mateo, trying his best to model his mannerisms and personality, but so far all he's truly grasped is Mateo's sense of humor. He loves space, and dreams of being an astronaut someday.

LEVEL: Intermediate

LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: 29x19, 5 Beach Boulevard, $39,964 furnished, $28,963 unfurnished.

LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: The Rivera family, as their name implies, has always had a close relationship with the water. Although long removed from riverbanks, they've stayed close to the Mediterranean and the children have always been happiest at the beach. So now they have a waterfront property, surrounded by shallow pools that ebb and flow with the tides that refills the collection of seashells and trinkets, and not far from the open sea! The style of the house should remind them of home still in the Mediterranean, and continue to cultivate the bonds of family rather than focus on the trappings of technology, with pictures of their parents resting on the mantle. (The first thing Mateo did when I put them in the house was go to the picture and cry... which made me very sad!) It's 3 bedrooms, 2.5 bathrooms, with a grand entry and ample play space in the yard. Each of their dressers holds a keepsake that their father made for each of them - he made most of their toys by hand, but only a few were recovered from the wreckage. Though they've been through so very much, they have a home again, one that feels familiar and comfortable without being too empty, a place to start over and focus on each other.

I loved doing this one, and went back and revised it SO many times (SO many times), just wishing for an extra 5k in the budget xD The kids really came to life for me, and challenged myself in the design. I wanted to do a written walk through, but I'm at my computer limit for the day. I'm so happy I got to post this, though!

Screenshot-87.jpg
    Screenshot-104.jpg
    Screenshot-92.jpg

Link to Album: https://postimg.org/gallery/1boddm7om/

Layout
    Screenshot-86.jpg
    Screenshot-85.jpg
    Screenshot-84.jpg
    Screenshot-83.jpg

Exterior and Yard:
    Screenshot-87.jpg
    Screenshot-106.jpg
    Screenshot-108.jpg
    Screenshot-103.jpg
    Screenshot-104.jpg
    Screenshot-105.jpg
    Screenshot-100.jpg
    Screenshot-112.jpg
    Screenshot-107.jpg
    Screenshot-111.jpg
    Screenshot-113.jpg
    Screenshot-99.jpg
    Screenshot-101.jpg

Foyer:
    Screenshot-88.jpg
    Screenshot-92.jpg
    Screenshot-89.jpg

Dining and Kitchen:
    Screenshot-91.jpg
    Screenshot-90.jpg
    Screenshot-98.jpg

Living Room:
    Screenshot-93.jpg
    Screenshot-95.jpg
    Screenshot-94.jpg
    Screenshot-97.jpg

Upstairs Hall:
    Screenshot-109.jpg
    Screenshot-132.jpg
    Screenshot-133.jpg
    Screenshot-137.jpg

Bedrooms and Upstairs Baths:
    Adrian's Room
    Screenshot-114.jpg
    Screenshot-115.jpg
    Screenshot-116.jpg
    Sophia's Room
    Screenshot-117.jpg
    Screenshot-118.jpg
    Screenshot-119.jpg
    Mateo's Room
    Screenshot-134.jpg
    Screenshot-135.jpg
    Screenshot-136.jpg
    Screenshot-127.jpg
    Screenshot-125.jpg
    Screenshot-126.jpg
    Bathrooms
    Screenshot-120.jpg
    Screenshot-121.jpg
    Screenshot-128.jpg
    Screenshot-129.jpg

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: yes

CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED: Mutske
    Post edited by Zayven on
    edited January 2018
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM #198 - Sparks

NAME: creativemetaphor

LINK TO LOT: not uploaded

LINK TO MEDIA: Sky Terrace Building
    (still learning google photo, please let me know if the photos do not seem to be displaying in correct order or the text is not visible and I will correct immediately!)

exterior.jpg

OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: pictures included in above
    Isaiah Sparks built his company on the belief that if you treat your employees well, they will treat your clients well, and your business will prosper. His traits are disciplined, perceptive, charismatic, ambitious, and computer whiz. Lifetime wish is, of course, CEO of a mega-corporation! His favorites are blue, classical, and grilled salmon; and he is a Sagittarius.

LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: Custom placed 30x30 lot in Aurora Skies, $149,965

LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: Sky Terrace Building combines traditional and modern office building elements to offer a unique and eco-friendly addition to the town of Aurora Skies. The architecture blends in to the surrounding commercial buildings, but also does not clash against the traditional buildings and homes nearby. It features a three-story lobby core of windows, topped by solar panels, with balconies overlooking one another, and green, growing rooftops for greater ecological friendliness as well as enhancing the office environment for the employees.

The main level lobby contains the reception area with guest counter, waiting area with fireplace and refreshment counters, and a single restroom for privacy. Every attempt to make employees, guests, and clients feel welcome and comfortable has been made.

There is access directly from the parking garage, which holds both cars and bikes for those who want a green commute. An elevator ensures equal access to all floors, while the stairs allow for those who need to get their steps in.

The second floor holds the future offices of staff, including HR, IT, finance, marketing, and a conference room. It also provides an employee lounge and open central courtyard with corner fountain feature where employees can relax, enjoy nature, and take their lunch when the weather is good. Each office has green roof outside their windows and a view of the courtyard across the hallway. Both natural light and greenery gives a pleasant office environment to the employees.

The penthouse level lobby offers a view down to the main floor lobby below and a restroom. There is a board room with podium and white board with a private terrace for high-level meetings, collaborations, and educational seminars. Across the lobby is Sparks' secretary and waiting area for clients.

Sparks' office is a full executive suite in relaxing blue and white against black. There is a wet bar for refreshments, a table for small client meetings, and of course his desk with guest chairs. He is a firm believer that classical music enhances work performance and keeps a radio nearby. There is also a private bathroom with a shower for after his workouts. Keeping in shape is important both physically and mentally, and his terrace has a treadmill so he doesn't have to schedule additional time for the gym. It also has a lounge chair for relaxing and enjoying the view of the ocean.

(Did you know you can't put phones on a commercial lot!? I didn't know that. I have never in my life worked for a company that didn't have phones! I decided the phones were more important than a couple of the items that the commercial lot offered, so this building is actually zoned residential. So I could have phones. Seriously, you need phones in an office! How else is reception supposed to call Sparks to let him know his meeting has arrived?)

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: yes please

CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED: N/A
    @Zayven What a beautiful home!! I'm surprised just how much you managed to pack in there, and without using all the free walls and floors! Well done, very lovely!
    edited January 2018
    Thank you! There was SO much back and forth about floors vs decos and tubs and all the things... getting a cheaper treehouse for a more expensive floor pattern.. and then realizing they needed at least *one* family game sort of activity between the different ages and getting a different tub and pulling out this or that nick knack to accommodate.. I 'cheated' with the stairs, using the fancy set for the prominent ones and then the cheap ones for the second set colored the same, the dining room floors are actually the free wood cunningly re-colored, etc, etc. I think I finished the building part of it by the 20th and just... kept going back and changing all the things trying to stay within the budget. I don't even remember the first draft anymore xD Then I play tested it without remembering to record the specific prices and I had to go back and replace every single thing to get the real price without depreciation! It was such a production (in a good way, mostly) and I got home from the hospital and realized I wouldn't make the deadline and my heart just dropped.

Thank you all SO MUCH for letting me get it in late. Even if it doesn't place, I'm so much happier just getting to share it after all! *oddly teary*
    @Zayven - that's OK sweetie pie *hugs*
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • djsdragongirldjsdragongirl Posts: 843 Member
    @BuildnShare question about the Penthouse, will Mr. Sparks be living in the Penthouse or do you want it as his office area?

I'm just asking because I'm at the point of building where I'm at the Penthouse and wanted to know which way it was to go. I know most Penthouses are where the person lives, so I just want to clairify.

This is my concept of the office building, set in Sunset Valley.
    39559842282_6b6793cd26_n.jpg Outside Concept

39559837262_ee80091453_n.jpg Lobby Concept

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top