Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do you stay awake?

cleo00cleo00 Posts: 1,088 Member
Now that I'm on my winter break ALL I wanna do is sims all day long from the time I wake up til I sleep, but even that is not long enough :p I keep looking at the clock and almost like counting down the hours til I know my body and brain will be tired and then reminding myself "I'm off college til February and I don't have a job or need to go anywhere I can stay up all night long if I want to, I don't have to go to sleep at any set time". But I'm basically an old lady in a 21 year old body and I'm ready to pass out by 8 or 9 usually, but I also sleep upwards of 10+ hours because of fleece blankets and two cats and freezing winter weather. So right now, as far as I'm concerned, I am not getting enough sim time. What are some tips and tricks to stay awake later? I remember hearing soda when I was a kid but I'm not sure if that actually works  to keep you up.

Comments

• MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    I usually go to bed around 9pm. If I'm lucky, I'll read for about 20 minutes.
    I sleep for 10-11 hours. Except for on the nights when I'm kept awake by pain.

I have chronic illnesses that cause this.
    Maybe you should see a doctor, rather than trying to stay up late. If your body and brain want to sleep, it's usually best to give them what they want. But your body may be needing more sleep because there is something wrong. One of the things that makes me tired a lot, is my inability to absorb and retain enough iron.

For most people, inactivity makes them sleepy. Maybe try jogging on the spot for 15 minutes, get your blood flowing, breathe deeper, get more oxygen, it might help to wake you up. Or you may end up like me, and feel ok for about an hour, and then really badly need to sleep. :/
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • saishousaishou Posts: 276 Member
    Try drinking green tea- I did that during college when I needed to stay up late for projects and all, works 90% of the time (the other 10% when it doesn't work is mostly when I'm absolutely drained and body just has to shut down because it's running on fumes). I mean, it has to be better than caffeine overdose. xD

Another thing I do to stay up is get off my seat walk around for a bit, or wash your face with cold water to get that drowsiness off. Like above poster said, you just need to get some oxygen pumping for your body! Don't overdo it though :D
    Keep moving forward.

- My Art - Website - OriginID : saishou
    pv_by_sai_shou-dbye3yu.jpg
  • puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    When I needed to pull an almost-all-nighter in high school or college, I would eat a piece of dark chocolate whenever I felt sleepy. If I was on a roll, I didn't need it, but whenever I started to fade, I would reach for it and take a couple of minutes to eat it slowly. It helped that I never drank coffee or caffeinated tea (still don't much). But I didn't need a lot of help as I'm naturally a night owl. That's another thing that helps—establishing a schedule where you're used to being awake late at night. The circadian rhythm can be hard to reprogram, especially if you're fighting your natural cycle.

The other thing I used to do was let myself sleep for an extended period of time to catch up. Sometimes I'd get home from school, sleep three hours, do some homework and then crash for the night and get another nine hours or so. If you're really having trouble staying up, maybe you're so sleep-deprived that you just need to give in for a few days. You'll have more luck when you're well-rested, and you'll probably enjoy your gaming sessions more if you're not constantly trying to wake yourself up. And no matter when you're playing, or for how long, you'll still need to sleep at some point. If there were a way around it, someone would have found it by now.
  • jojosimmernyjojosimmerny Posts: 30 Member
    I suffer from insomnia so sometimes I am awake when I don't want to be. I drink a lot of coffee to stay awake when I need to be.
  • ProudAsianGuyProudAsianGuy Posts: 1 New Member
    No effort, I just stay awake and only sleepy when tired.
  • theFellatheFella Posts: 297 Member
    I stay awake by waking up at 12 PM.
    MeanBrilliantArrowworm-size_restricted.gif
  • NyteRoseNyteRose Posts: 1,672 Member
    Soda or chocolate. But on the other hand, I suffer from insomnia so I'm prone to all-nighters :(
    It can't rain all the time- Eric Draven, The Crow
  • BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    I'm also an insomniac, but if your body needs sleep just let it sleep :)

I once stayed awake for 6 days. No idea how/why I did that.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • TheHavocadoTheHavocado Posts: 607 Member
    > @BabySquare said:
    > I once stayed awake for 6 days.

And here I am, the second I touch my pillows I'm gone.

To OP :
    I once slept more than 10 hours too but when on holiday I converted my days to nights. Once I slept from lunch to dinner, I converted back to normal and I sleep less than 4 hours on the first month. Now I can wake up anytime my game is calling, and I can even split my 6-8 hours sleep into 2 hrs per sleep. Well, for me it's an improvement.

Somehow, it's so hard to stay awake when nothing is happening around you.

But then again, pulling an all-nighter for The Sims is a bit hard for me. Finding the motivation is hard, because the only time I was able to pull an all nighter for The Sims is when I do Serial Romantic Aspiration, Speed Dating, Serial Monogamist, Black Widow, and Vengeful Deity at the same time. And that's only because I get a good laugh when I use my sim to flirt, kiss, ask to be best & boy/girl friend, break-up, rekindle romance, get married, then hysterical them 20 times in a row. Seeing how many times their emotions change is utterly satisfying.
    Me, when triggered:
    CPwGluP.gif
    "All this negativity doesn't add up."
  • YingMYingM Posts: 13 New Member
    Take a 3hr nap during the middle of the day works for me..
  • simlish1simlish1 Posts: 2,738 Member
    I take green tea capsules and fat metabolisers which have quite a bit of caffeine in them. I stay up all night ALOT!
    Origin ID - eliselove1
    Four Seasons Properties

• SultanCanAliSultanCanAli Posts: 113 Member
    I sleep at 1,2 or 3 during winter break
  • DarkSuperNinjaDarkSuperNinja Posts: 1,204 Member
    I wish I could fall asleep so easily lmao

Staying awake is pretty effortless for me; if I didn't go to bed, I just wouldn't fall asleep! I usually just go to bed at roughly 10pm/11pm, then I hope to God that I actually get to sleep! xD

You should probably just listen to your body's good sleeping habits! Relish in the fact that you have a good sleeping pattern/good amounts of sleep; it's actually really healthy, and I may or may not be jealous that you can sleep so well! :P
  • summer_berrysummer_berry Posts: 105 Member
    I totally understand, I'm on my university break as well and I'm struggling. All those hours of studying and working really caught up to me lol. By 10PM I'm usually ready to go to bed.

I have definitely been using the majority of my free time to play sims though, and usually when I'm getting too tired I'll just get up out of bed and take a quick walk (it's the same thing I do when falling asleep in a class!) and get a drink of water. A little movement can help make a difference!
    "We make our own future." - Dean Winchester, Supernatural
  • flintylime59flintylime59 Posts: 70 Member
    Getting up and walking around during long gaming sessions works best for me! Drink TONS of water too, it helps with energy and you'll also be going to the bathroom a lot so that'll help get you up and moving around! Sometimes I splash my face with some cold water too. Take frequent stretch breaks (or maybe some yoga) or do a super quick workout (maybe just 20 jumping jacks or something) to get the blood moving. It helps!
    "Embrace your flaws, work on your flaws, and don't be ashamed of having any flaws."

-Felix Kjellberg