Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is the Sims 2 still available?

jamiehoodjamiehood Posts: 126 Member
I actually found out that a lot of interesting features were in the Sims 2, and I really would like to check it out, as it looks awesome from the videos I have seen. But I'm not sure if it's still available. It's not on Origin anymore, at least. If it is available somewhere, could someone please tell me? Also, will it work on my computer?

Comments

• Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    TS2 is the best honestly.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • james64468james64468 Posts: 1,276 Member
    jamiehood wrote: »
    I actually found out that a lot of interesting features were in the Sims 2, and I really would like to check it out, as it looks awesome from the videos I have seen. But I'm not sure if it's still available. It's not on Origin anymore, at least. If it is available somewhere, could someone please tell me? Also, will it work on my computer?

Your best bet is buying Sims 2 from amazon. Then get into support and give them the product key.
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    Well, looking at your computer from here... I'll say yes, it will work. :)
  • JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    You can try asking EA for the ultimate collection ( Base game and all EP'S and stuff packs) instructions here, http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/814708/how-to-get-ts2-ultimate-collection-windows/p1 First post. They may ask for a code, some do, some don't. You might get extra lucky tis the season after all... but if you try a handful of times and don't get anyone to put it in your account, grab any game, base game or expansion, and give them the code for it.
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    Well, looking at your computer from here... I'll say yes, it will work. :)

:D:D:D LOL!!! @jamiehood We have no idea what your computer specs are.. but I would think it is safe to say so long as your computer was made sometime in the last decade....it will most likely be fine. You will probably have to run the graphic rules to get it to recognize your video card, other then that, no issues. :)
  • jamiehoodjamiehood Posts: 126 Member
    @JULES1111 Ok, Sorry, I just wasn't sure, as I've tried some old applications that haven't worked on my computer. But I will try to ask for the ultimate collection, thank you very much
  • SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    edited December 2017
    jamiehood wrote: »
    @JULES1111 Ok, Sorry, I just wasn't sure, as I've tried some old applications that haven't worked on my computer. But I will try to ask for the ultimate collection, thank you very much

@jamiehood If you have trouble running TS2 (or any other older programs) on your computer and your OS is Windows 10, 8.1, or 8, you can always right click on the icon on your desktop, go to "Troubleshoot Compatibility", and put it in Windows 7 or Windows XP compatibility mode. Also, running the game as an administrator helps too.
    Post edited by SimsLovinLycan on
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • dorcsyfuldorcsyful Posts: 851 Member
    In regard with computer specs: while @JULES1111 is right about it probably being able to run the game, it doesn't necessarily mean that it will run on max settings (that will be probably the default). For example, I have two graphics cards in my laptop, one of them being an Intel HD 4400. And it is unable to render water properly on high settings. Now, I'm not saying that you should turn everything to the bare minimum the second you see something wrong, but keep an eye on these kind of things. (Except when you'll see the black squares, but that's another story)
    Other than that, merry Christmas and happy simming :)
  • Mango23Mango23 Posts: 19 Member
    As far as I know @jamiehood the only free way of obtaining The Sims 2 for PC, was downloading the The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection on Origin which unfortunately isn't available anymore. You can however still order The Sims 2 for PC online, you'll have to pay for it of course.
  • slynnskislynnski Posts: 2,316 Member
    @jamiehood I would try contacting EA first before you buy anything. As others have said, if one advisor says no, try another.

EA is still giving it away. It just depends on the advisor you talk to. I know someone who got it this past Tuesday evening with no issues.

Good luck!
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited December 2017
    @slynnski wrote: »
    @jamiehood I would try contacting EA first before you buy anything. As others have said, if one advisor says no, try another.

EA is still giving it away. It just depends on the advisor you talk to. I know someone who got it this past Tuesday evening with no issues.

Good luck!

OMG I love your signature ahahaha
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
    @Sigzy05 Thank you :)
  • ElenPinkElenPink Posts: 541 Member
    When I contacted EA, I only had the Sims 2 cd version. I gave them the serial number and they ended up giving me the whole collection.

webp_net_gifmaker_by_sarcasmisbetter-dcfn6tz.gif
  • theFellatheFella Posts: 297 Member
    slynnski wrote: »
    @Sigzy05 Thank you :)

me too. that is me right there.
    MeanBrilliantArrowworm-size_restricted.gif
  • WinMacSims3WinMacSims3 Posts: 1,610 Member
    edited December 2017
    @SimsLovinLycan I believe the only The Sims games that don't work on Windows 10 are The Sims (1) and The Sims Medieval (DVD), the reason they don't work on Windows 10 has to do something with the copy protection that the game uses. The Sims uses SafeDisc which is blocked on Windows 10 so The Sims (and any game using SafeDisc) will not work on Windows 10, a similar issue also occurs with Windows Vista through 8.1 thanks to MS15-097/KB3086255 where SafeDisc is blocked if the update is installed. The Sims Medieval used a copy protection which rendered it incompatible with Windows 8 and 10 although this is fixed on the Origin download However, you will have to sign in to Origin to play just like The Sims 4 and The Sims 3 1.69.

While The Sims 2 and The Sims Stories will work on Windows 7, 8 and 10, Sims and Pets will have box rectangles where the shadows would appear. Also The Sims 3 and The Sims Medieval do not recognize newer video cards (this is due to missing entries in GraphicsCards.sgr and GraphicsRules.sgr files) so you will get a warning on newer systems although the game will play normally (at least on Windows).

I believe The Sims 2 games prior to Deluxe, H&M Fashion Stuff, and Bon Voyage as well as The Sims Life Stories used SafeDisc (later Sims 2 games as well as Pet/Castaway Stories use SecuROM) but I don't seem to have issues running them.
    Origin ID: GothicSimmer, YouTube: GothicSimmer
    @WinMacSims3 The Sims 1 actually can be played on Windows 10. You must download an unofficial patch for it, and always run it as administrator, but it does play just fine.

However, this method only works if you have the Complete Collection OR the base game and all expansions as separate discs. Just the base game or the base game and a few EPs won’t cut it, sadly.
  • Nephesh_SpiritNephesh_Spirit Posts: 254 Member
    Guys I just got it just seconds ago. I just said I had lost my disc but still had the code. I gave the code and my email and the advisor added it to my library.
    The Lockwood Family Tree

@Nephesh_Spirit Yay, congrats! :)
    @Nephesh_Spirit Awesome! Congrats, enjoy your game! :)
  • JestinaJestina Posts: 1,609 Member
    I have the UC version and unfortunately it just crashes. No amount of tech wizardry I've tried has gotten it to work on my computer. I would probably have to dust off my old pc to play it.
    Jestina wrote: »
    I have the UC version and unfortunately it just crashes. No amount of tech wizardry I've tried has gotten it to work on my computer. I would probably have to dust off my old pc to play it.

Have you run the graphic rules maker and checked your files to make sure it worked correctly? It only works part way for some of the newer cards. If the game does not read your card, it can cause crashing.

Graphic rules: https://www.simsnetwork.com/simpedia/the-sims-2/editions/the-sims-2/specials/graphics-rules-maker-improve-compatibility-with

Instructions how to edit the files by hand in case the graphic rules didn't complete the job: http://simlili.tumblr.com/post/146373494212
  • SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    @Jestina wrote: »

Also, remember to right click on the desktop icon and set the game to "Run as Administrator." That helps with compatibility issues with a lot of older programs. Not just TS2, but also older versions of Flash (I have Flash MX, and it works like a charm on Windows 10 with this setting).
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • jamiehoodjamiehood Posts: 126 Member
    The reason I was actually confused was that when I looked online in stores for it, it was classified as being for "vintage software." That does not sound like it works on modern computers.
    edited January 2018
    Must not work... don't get it.

;)
    Post edited by Rflong7 on
  • ReneeSueReneeSue Posts: 17 Member
    I got the UC last year but now that I really want to play it I keep getting the directx 9.0 error and can't seem to get it work no matter what I try.
    @ReneeSue wrote: »
    I got the UC last year but now that I really want to play it I keep getting the directx 9.0 error and can't seem to get it work no matter what I try.

What have you done to fix it?
    https://www.simsnetwork.com/tools/graphics-rules-maker-improve-compatibility-with-modern-systems