Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What graphics settings do you play Sims 4 on?

And what are your computer specs?

My PC is decent but it sucks I have to play the game on low-medium graphics settings, I'm so jealous of everyone who can just casually play the game on high settings with smooth performance
give me your computers pls

Comments

• jimmysnanjimmysnan Posts: 8,303 Member
    edited December 2017
    I play on high
    Time of this report: 12/30/2017, 13:26:57
    Machine name: PHEONIX
    Machine Id: {C63C2C70-4DCB-485B-8132-248293518CCE}
    Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 16299) (16299.rs3_release.170928-1534)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
    System Model: System Product Name
    BIOS: 0906
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.2GHz
    Memory: 32768MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 32692MB RAM
    Page File: 3377MB used, 34178MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 12
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    Miracast: Available, with HDCP
    Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported

10.00.16299.0015 64bit Unicode

I have NVIDIA 1080TI graphics card.

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type: GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
    DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
  • LiaRose1435LiaRose1435 Posts: 720 Member
    I used to have to play on medium settings, but I finally got a gaming laptop and now I can play on ultra. If you are looking for a new computer, you can post a question in the tech section on the forums and someone will help you find a good computer that can play the game. There are some really helpful people in that section.
    Am I too lost to be saved?
    Am I too lost?
  • jimmysnanjimmysnan Posts: 8,303 Member
    Yes @chesterbigbird she helped me a lot and my computer runs well
  • saucatsaucat Posts: 98 Member
    This is mine
    Time of this report: 12/30/2017, 18:30:34
    Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_ldr.170913-0600)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
    System Model: GA-78LMT-USB3
    BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
    Processor: AMD FX(tm)-4350 Quad-Core Processor (4 CPUs), ~4.2GHz
    Memory: 8192MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 8174MB RAM
    Page File: 5634MB used, 10710MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

She's a bit of an old girl now (got it in 2014, not that old but struggling to keep up with new games) but I can't afford a better one. first world problems lol.
    Graphics card's an AMD Radeon R7 200 series
  • saucatsaucat Posts: 98 Member
    @LiaRose1435

Thank you, good idea, I'll do that
  • NyteRoseNyteRose Posts: 1,672 Member
    My PC is an HP All-in One and I can play on low graphics settings. I'm happy with that :p
    It can't rain all the time- Eric Draven, The Crow
  • surraaaaaasurraaaaaa Posts: 859 Member
    edited December 2017
    I just got a new laptop for Christmas. Unfortunately, it was a gift from my dad, who knows nothing of tech (no offense, I told him to ask my bf for help if he went the laptop route, he didn't) so he goes to best buy and asks if this particular laptop is good for playing games. The sales guy apparently said ".....uhh... What kinda games?" My dad says, sims. Sales guy: "so not call of duty? Then it should be fine."
    So i dont have high hopes for the thing. I wanted like a good gaming laptop... Even if i do just play sims and not cod.. I have everything on medium. I know nothing of tech either. I have draw distance on low (I dont think i need it personally), and all the other options like post processing, edge smoothing, and laptop mode all unchecked. Idk if my laptop can handle anything higher and I'm scared to check lol.
    Edit: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-15-6-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-hp-finish-in-jet-black/5868705.p?skuId=5868705
    I think this is it
  • DeathCabForCutieDeathCabForCutie Posts: 59 Member
    Medium. I used to play on ultra but my gaming PC is aging and it's been sturggling with each new expansion. As it's a custom build I could upgrade it but as the years since TS4's release have passed my priorities have changed with starting university, and my money needs to go on more important things.
  • ladybreidladybreid Posts: 3,455 Member
    Ultra and I have a pretty basic dell pc with 8g ram and Nvidia graphics
    wz3Vdbh.jpg
    Saying "not to be rude", then blatently being rude does not excuse rude behavior.
  • SimGamer15SimGamer15 Posts: 2,019 Member
    edited December 2017
    My computer handles sims quite well. I can play on medium to high settings.
    My specs:
    Processor: AMD (FX)-6300 six core 3.50 GHz
    Graphic card: Nvidia Geforce GT 730
    Ram: 8gb
  • LyrieLyrie Posts: 881 Member
    Medium settings but I'm okay with that, I have a Toshiba with an integrated card (which is not the best for gaming) but it works fine and I'm hoping to get a gaming laptop soon since no room for desktop.
  • BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    I can finally play on ultra for the 1st time, bought a new laptop less than a month ago.

MSI Apache pro GE62VR-7RF
    Windows 10 (64-bit)
    Processor: Intel i7-7700HQ Processor quad-core 2.8 GHz / 3.8 GHz 6 MB cache
    RAM: 16 GB DDR4 (32 GB maximum installable RAM)
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060, 3 GB GDDR5
    Storage: 1 TB HDD, 7200 rpm + 128 GB SSD
    15.6" LED screen
    Cool boost 4 cooling
    LED backlit keyboard

Hope that covers the specs; too tired so copied the info from where I bought it.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • chicvibechicvibe Posts: 61 Member
    I play on ultra on my gaming laptop (acer predator), but because my gaming PC is hooked up to a Vizio TV, the graphics settings are definitely not ultra (!) so I only play on the tower when I need to do stuff in my office. side note: TSA in Vegas does NOT like external cooling pads for gaming laptops, but TSA in Seattle had no problem with it. hmmmmmm.
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited December 2017
    My computer was built with other more demanding games in mind so it's very much overkill for sims.. (specs in siggy). I'm spoiled with ultra settings.

There was a time when I had a cheap eMachine desktop defiantly not meant for gaming that I got in 2009 for $350 USD after tax. You know it's bad when a game tells you no, your computer can't run this game. I ran into that issue eventually on the eMachine when I bought Diablo 3 after launch.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    chicvibe wrote: »
    I play on ultra on my gaming laptop (acer predator), but because my gaming PC is hooked up to a Vizio TV, the graphics settings are definitely not ultra (!) so I only play on the tower when I need to do stuff in my office. side note: TSA in Vegas does NOT like external cooling pads for gaming laptops, but TSA in Seattle had no problem with it. hmmmmmm.

What, am I right; you went through an airport and they didn't know what a cooling pad was? what happened?
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • FirandeFirande Posts: 816 Member
    I play on ultra... my laptop is still pretty new at only a few months old. It's a budget gaming laptop, wasn't all that expensive but still plays TS4 on ultra settings with ease. I can play in bed with the laptop buried in sheets without it getting hot at all... few days ago I actually fell asleep with my laptop on my lap in bed while playing TS4. So it ended up running the game under not so good conditions for 2 hours with no problem. When I woke up, it was still completely fine. Can also play with ease even when it's not plugged in and on low power mode. The only thing is that the UI has a bit of lag sometimes, but that doesn't impact gameplay at all. Apparently, TS4, or at least the UI part, is VERY processor-heavy... or it just isn't optimized well for certain processors.

My laptop is a Windows 10 MSI Leopard Pro with an Intel Core i5-7300 HQ processor and an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 graphics card, a 156 (or something?) GB SSD (I only have Windows and TS4 on that disc which is more than enough for me), and 1 TB HDD. Again, it was a budget gaming laptop but oh do I enjoy it - it runs every game I own with ease, including GTA V. I don't regret buying this one at all... though I should stress that it is the graphics card that allows me to run this game on ultra. TS4 won't run as well on ultra with an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 or even 1050Ti from what I've read. I went with a friend's advice and she told me that there is really a big difference between the 1050(Ti) and 1060 cards... and that that difference is bigger than the difference between an Intel Core i5-7300HQ and i7-7700 HQ when it comes to single-player gaming.
    Origin ID: Fierande | Simlit | Tumblr

fgQIHTb.png
  • sillyangel0906sillyangel0906 Posts: 5,405 Member

I play on Ultra and Uncompressed textures with this set up :)

Tj1C9L0.jpg

dz6j66V.png
    Origin ID - Sillyangel0906

Q7wLwse.png
  • FirandeFirande Posts: 816 Member
    edited December 2017
    surraaaaaa wrote: »
    I just got a new laptop for Christmas. Unfortunately, it was a gift from my dad, who knows nothing of tech (no offense, I told him to ask my bf for help if he went the laptop route, he didn't) so he goes to best buy and asks if this particular laptop is good for playing games. The sales guy apparently said ".....uhh... What kinda games?" My dad says, sims. Sales guy: "so not call of duty? Then it should be fine."
    So i dont have high hopes for the thing. I wanted like a good gaming laptop... Even if i do just play sims and not cod.. I have everything on medium. I know nothing of tech either. I have draw distance on low (I dont think i need it personally), and all the other options like post processing, edge smoothing, and laptop mode all unchecked. Idk if my laptop can handle anything higher and I'm scared to check lol.
    Edit: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-15-6-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-hp-finish-in-jet-black/5868705.p?skuId=5868705
    I think this is it

From what I read real quick, your laptop has a pretty decent processor (same as my gaming laptop, actually), but its graphics card is integrated. So it wasn't really built for gaming. I don't know much about specs at all, only know that dedicated graphics card are pretty much a requirement for real gaming. This isn't an actual gaming laptop. The graphics card has to share its memory with the processor - probably uses your RAM memory. Again, not much of a computer person so definitely don't take my word on this lol. I think it'll run TS4 fine as the processor is pretty decent, but you won't get to play on very high settings as your graphics card would not be able to handle that. But for that price, I don't think you could get any gaming laptop at all... or, well, at least not in NL. The cheapest gaming laptop is still at least €900,- here and even that one would not be able to run TS4 on ultra graphics - I initially wanted to buy that one and watched some YT videos about it running TS4 and commented on them, and apparently that laptop couldn't even run on ultra. I do believe that one would've been significantly cheaper in the US, though.

Edit: Nevermind, thought it had the same processor as my laptop because the what's-it-called, icon(?) is the same... but it actually is a different one with a dual core rather than a quad core. Again, don't know much - all I know is that you want a quad core processor to do any decent gaming. Dual cores are perfectly decent, but they are simply not built for gaming. It still meets the minimum requirements of TS4 I think, so you will definitely be able to run the game. My older laptop had way worse specs than yours and it ran TS4. But you won't be able to play on ultra settings... and probably not on high either. Probably will need laptop mode for it to run better. You could push it to the limit and play on high settings and laptop mode on as I did with my older laptop, but that really isn't good for your laptop and not at all recommended hehehe, so you should probably not do that. But still, I played this game on high settings with a WAY worse laptop than yours which was also significantly older and with some patience it, well, it ran. But my laptop was old and I didn't care much for it - I'd be more careful with newer laptops.

I tend to think of laptops because I personally need laptops as I move around a lot, but of course desktops are significantly cheaper for the specs you get in return and generally work better for gaming. So if you don't need your PC to be mobile, definitely go with a desktop.
    Origin ID: Fierande | Simlit | Tumblr

fgQIHTb.png
  • KJBKJB Posts: 173 Member
    I have the 2016 13 inch Macbook Pro without the touch bar.
    Processor 2 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory 8 GB 1867 MHz LPDDR3
    Graphics Intel Iris Graphics 540 1536 MB

I have sims, objects, lighting, reflections, all on medium. visual effects is on low and edge smoothing is off. 3d scene and view distance is high and retina display and laptop mode are on. My laptop gets super hot and the fan makes a lot of noise. I bought a cooling table with fan a little over a month ago, it isn't powerful enough unfortunately. But still an improvement since I used to play on top of my sheets lol
    0G9Un6T.gif
  • ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    I play on ultra on 1440 res on 34in curved monitor with no issues. I know the game has some fps drops, but I don't have them too often or to badly, never enough to truly affect gameplay.

AMD FX 8350
    32GB RAM
    GTX 1070
    1TB Samsung evo 850 ssd (Game installed on, but no real benefit with Sims 4)
    2TB western digital black HDD
    p8L4V6v.png
  • surraaaaaasurraaaaaa Posts: 859 Member
    Firande wrote: »
    surraaaaaa wrote: »
    I think this is it

From what I read real quick, your laptop has a pretty decent processor (same as my gaming laptop, actually), but its graphics card is integrated. So it wasn't really built for gaming. I don't know much about specs at all, only know that dedicated graphics card are pretty much a requirement for real gaming. This isn't an actual gaming laptop. The graphics card has to share its memory with the processor - probably uses your RAM memory. Again, not much of a computer person so definitely don't take my word on this lol. I think it'll run TS4 fine as the processor is pretty decent, but you won't get to play on very high settings as your graphics card would not be able to handle that. But for that price, I don't think you could get any gaming laptop at all... or, well, at least not in NL. The cheapest gaming laptop is still at least €900,- here and even that one would not be able to run TS4 on ultra graphics - I initially wanted to buy that one and watched some YT videos about it running TS4 and commented on them, and apparently that laptop couldn't even run on ultra. I do believe that one would've been significantly cheaper in the US, though.

Edit: Nevermind, thought it had the same processor as my laptop because the what's-it-called, icon(?) is the same... but it actually is a different one with a dual core rather than a quad core. Again, don't know much - all I know is that you want a quad core processor to do any decent gaming. Dual cores are perfectly decent, but they are simply not built for gaming. It still meets the minimum requirements of TS4 I think, so you will definitely be able to run the game. My older laptop had way worse specs than yours and it ran TS4. But you won't be able to play on ultra settings... and probably not on high either. Probably will need laptop mode for it to run better. You could push it to the limit and play on high settings and laptop mode on as I did with my older laptop, but that really isn't good for your laptop and not at all recommended hehehe, so you should probably not do that. But still, I played this game on high settings with a WAY worse laptop than yours which was also significantly older and with some patience it, well, it ran. But my laptop was old and I didn't care much for it - I'd be more careful with newer laptops.

I tend to think of laptops because I personally need laptops as I move around a lot, but of course desktops are significantly cheaper for the specs you get in return and generally work better for gaming. So if you don't need your PC to be mobile, definitely go with a desktop.

Thanks for the reply and the info! Laptops are better for me, space issues. I figured it wasnt built for gaming, because of the salesman, but its running really well! Compared to before. Seriously it took maybe 5 minutes or more to save, about 10 to save and quit. And now its instant! At first I thought "oh no! Its not saving!" But it is, just fast. So I love it hah and with sims being newly installed, I dont have as much time distortion or lag. Its like experiencing a new game.
  • cedesdccedesdc Posts: 93 Member
    Super low!! Only my sims are the highest, as I have a painter that tries to paint portraits of them haha. My laptop is getting old and can't keep up, I really need to switch to a desktop soon!
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,794 Member
    Ultra

Dell Alienware
    Intel i5-7400
    16 GB Ram
    Windows 10
    Nvidia GTX 1070
    Monitor 1920x1080

@sillyangel0906, I don't have the uncompressed textures option checked. What effect does that have on the game?
  • So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    Ultra

Dell Alienware
    Intel i5-7400
    16 GB Ram
    Windows 10
    Nvidia GTX 1070
    Monitor 1920x1080

@sillyangel0906, I don't have the uncompressed textures option checked. What effect does that have on the game?

I'll field this one:

That setting enables higher resolution textures and consequently uses more memory.
  • poltergeistpoltergeist Posts: 1,411 Member
    i play on an alienware laptop and my settings are on ultra, minus the "post-processing effects".
    specs:
    • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
    • 16 GB RAM
    • Intel Core i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60 GHz
    • neat alien logo
    • pretty keyboard
    • changes colors, very amusing
    origin id: kuhpflanzen ∘ tumblr
    tumblr_inline_p3itdx0yaH1v2uzv2_1280.gif