March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I wish the Sims Medieval got another chance

Comments

• BenincasaBenincasa Posts: 104 Member
    It was a fun game that I really enjoyed but at the same time it was frustrating with all the limitations. I think if they tweaked it a little: allowed you to make changes to your home and maybe even let you control everyone in your family it would have been even better.
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,411 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    It really doesn't matter to me, if it is truly medieval or not. I like the mix between European "medieval" time, Sims in general and fantasy. And then of course the exiting quests and sense of humor.

@FairyRuler As described above, the purpose of having kids in the Sims Medieval is NOT to let them grow up, unless they are the king/queen's kids, and the king/queen dies. The purpose is to let them have more than 3 kids, and then let the kids go off to different schools to send valuable items back to their parents.

I have never seen this in TSM, how do you send them to different schools? The only thing I ever did with the kids was to send them to get some supplies my Sim needed and I didn't have time for my Sim to go.

You are only allowed to have 5 members in your sims household. If you get a child while the household has reached it's limit, you can send one child away to boarding school. They will be removed from your household and make room for the new child. But I don't think you can ever get them back. I haven't tried it yet, though.

• cedesdccedesdc Posts: 93 Member
    I'd love a new Sims Medieval! At the time I got to play the computer I played on was super slow, and I barely got past making a character;;
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    It really doesn't matter to me, if it is truly medieval or not. I like the mix between European "medieval" time, Sims in general and fantasy. And then of course the exiting quests and sense of humor.

@FairyRuler As described above, the purpose of having kids in the Sims Medieval is NOT to let them grow up, unless they are the king/queen's kids, and the king/queen dies. The purpose is to let them have more than 3 kids, and then let the kids go off to different schools to send valuable items back to their parents.

I have never seen this in TSM, how do you send them to different schools? The only thing I ever did with the kids was to send them to get some supplies my Sim needed and I didn't have time for my Sim to go.

You are only allowed to have 5 members in your sims household. If you get a child while the household has reached it's limit, you can send one child away to boarding school. They will be removed from your household and make room for the new child. But I don't think you can ever get them back. I haven't tried it yet, though.

Oh, wow! I never knew this! Thank You, I'm going to have to load the game and try this.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • cristy9666cristy9666 Posts: 35 Member
    > @Reallysoawkward23 said:
    > I would 100% buy a sims medieval 2, especially if they improved upon the previous game. It's limiting that you can't build and that you can only work within one world (and can't even really customize your kingdom much). The lack of aging and generations also is really limiting. If they made it a little more like the regular sims, but still medieval, I'd probably play it even more than regular sims!

I agree 100% on this. I still play the sims medieval but what really bothers me is the lack of aging with the kids. Like how they only become adults if one of your parent sims dies... kinda sad really.
    > @Frigwald said:
    > I vote for a second chance. Not a TSM2 , just a new expansion. How about a Game of thrones kind of expansion?

That would be awesome, but I'm sure EA would have to tone down on the main themes! Ya know, the violence and such, lol.
  • Simsister2004Simsister2004 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Tone down the violence, LOL I don't think so.
    XsIeVFH.jpg
  • ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    cristy9666 wrote: »
    > @Frigwald said:
    > I vote for a second chance. Not a TSM2 , just a new expansion. How about a Game of thrones kind of expansion?

That would be awesome, but I'm sure EA would have to tone down on the main themes! Ya know, the violence and such, lol.
    Violence doesn’t really matter in the game ratings (as long as EA avoids blood and gore). But nakedness and woohoo do (and especially in all the English speaking countries). So yes - a Game of Thrones expansion would (at least theoretically) be possible. I just doubt that EA will make it anyway.
    > @Erpe said:
    > cristy9666 wrote: »
    >
    > > @Frigwald said:
    > > I vote for a second chance. Not a TSM2 , just a new expansion. How about a Game of thrones kind of expansion?
    >
    > That would be awesome, but I'm sure EA would have to tone down on the main themes! Ya know, the violence and such, lol.
    >
    >
    >
    > Violence doesn’t really matter in the game ratings (as long as EA avoids blood and gore). But nakedness and woohoo do (and especially in all the English speaking countries). So yes - a Game of Thrones expansion would (at least theoretically) be possible. I just doubt that EA will make it anyway.

I meant blood and gore rather than violence, I should have made that more clear on that. As someone who is a fan of Game of Thrones I'm just saying they would have to pretend it isn't nearly as bloody as usual... like the red wedding.
  • venusdemilosimsvenusdemilosims Posts: 1,918 Member
    I liked this game for what it was, but it had so much potential that IMO was wasted. Once you got through the quests there was very little replay value. In the end it couldn't decide what it wanted to be. Had there been some sort of quest generator where players could write their own in addition to the ones provided, and had there been allowances for more customization, then maybe it could have been better.
    But alas, it is what it is.
    jpnbanner2_zpscb7d2475.jpg header_zps436f0053.jpg

I liked this game for what it was, but it had so much potential that IMO was wasted. Once you got through the quests there was very little replay value. In the end it couldn't decide what it wanted to be. Had there been some sort of quest generator where players could write their own in addition to the ones provided, and had there been allowances for more customization, then maybe it could have been better.
    I agree. But the problem was that it was intended by EA to just replace an EP for TS3 and I have to agree with EA that it was better to release it as a stand-alone game than as an EP. But then the problem was that EA didn’t want it to become bigger because EA feared that it then just would steal too many customers from TS3. Still I agree that it had the potential to have become a much bigger and better game.

We begged them to give us a tool to develope/write our own quests, and I thought they might do that but then they suddenly dropped the game like a hot potato. But that is also around the time EA started building up the mobile side of it's studios and rethinking things about Emeryville studio.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    edited December 2017

We begged them to give us a tool to develope/write our own quests, and I thought they might do that but then they suddenly dropped the game like a hot potato. But that is also around the time EA started building up the mobile side of it's studios and rethinking things about Emeryville studio.
    According to http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Maxis only the following games were developed in the Emeryville studio:
    Spore
    Spore: Galactic Adventures
    Spore: Creepy & Cute Parts Pack
    Spore: Bots Parts Pack
    DarkSpore
    SimCity
    SimCity: Cities of Tomorrow
    SimCity DLC

The Sims Medieval was according to the same source developed in the studio at Redwood Shores. So I don’t see how the fate of the Emeryville studio could have any influence on Medieval?

But we were explained before the release of Medieval that they had originally discussed it to be an EP for TS3 but finally decided it to become a standalone game instead. Therefore we know that EA only intended Medieval to be a sidegame to TS3 and EA has always wanted such sidegames to only be small games (probably to avoid too much competition for the main games). This is for me to see the most likely explanation of the fact that the Sims Medieval only got one (quite small) EP even though Medieval had deserved a better fate.

Edit: We could also discuss why EA then is making sidegames at all. But I think that the main reason actually is to also have something to sell to mainly new simmers who could think that the main games are too big and have way too many expansions.
    Erpe wrote: »

According to http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Maxis only the following games were developed in the Emeryville studio:
    Spore
    DarkSpore
    SimCity
    SimCity DLC

The Sims Medieval was according to the same source developed in the studio at Redwood Shores. So I don’t see how the fate of the Emeryville studio could have any influence on Medieval?

But we were explained before the release of Medieval that they had originally discussed it to be an EP for TS3 but finally decided it to become a standalone game instead. Therefore we know that EA only intended Medieval to be a sidegame to TS3 and EA has always wanted such sidegames to only be small games (probably to avoid too much competition for the main games). This is for me to see the most likely explanation of the fact that the Sims Medieval only got one (quite small) EP even though Medieval had deserved a better fate.

Edit: We could also discuss why EA then is making sidegames at all. But I think that the main reason actually is to also have something to sell to mainly new simmers who could think that the main games are too big and have way too many expansions.

Did you watch the very first walkthrough of TSM? Those guys said they were in Emeryville. Did that mean they were just there and visiting? No. It was not an official trailer but a walkthrough video. They had two if IIRC.

Spore
    DarkSpore
    SimCity
    SimCity DLC

Did you watch the very first walkthrough of TSM? Those guys said they were in Emeryville. Did that mean they were just there and visiting? No. It was not an official trailer but a walkthrough video. They had two if IIRC.
    I don’t remember that video. But why should the wiki about Maxis lie?

Will Wright was in Emeryville and we know that the studio made both SimCity games and Spore games. We also know that the studio was a part of Maxis. But in most places it is mentioned as “the SimCity Studio”. Maybe some developers from Redwood was in Emeryville to visit Will Wright and maybe also to show him the new Sims Medieval game?

Spore
    DarkSpore
    SimCity
    SimCity DLC

Will Wright was in Emeryville and we know that the studio made both SimCity games and Spore games. We also know that the studio was a part of Maxis. But in most places it is mentioned as “the SimCity Studio”. Maybe some developers from Redwood was in Emeryville to visit Will Wright and maybe also to show him the new Sims Medieval game?

Will Wright had already left Maxis when they released TSM. It was in 2011, and The Sims Studio is located in Redwood. They were building (TS3 already out) the TS3 and Emerville was producing TSM. Or at least that is they way the walkthrough sounded to me. Maybe we should ask SimGuruDaniel where TSM was produced since he was one of the TSM team.

Spore
    DarkSpore
    SimCity
    SimCity DLC

Will Wright had already left Maxis when they released TSM. It was in 2011, and The Sims Studio is located in Redwood. They were building (TS3 already out) the TS3 and Emerville was producing TSM. Or at least that is they way the walkthrough sounded to me. Maybe we should ask SimGuruDaniel where TSM was produced since he was one of the TSM team.
    Yes. TSM was released in March 2011 and Darkspore was released a month later in April 2011. But it was Darkspore that was made in Emeryville. You can ask Daniel if you want.
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,411 Member
    I agree. But the problem was that it was intended by EA to just replace an EP for TS3 and I have to agree with EA that it was better to release it as a stand-alone game than as an EP. But then the problem was that EA didn’t want it to become bigger because EA feared that it then just would steal too many customers from TS3. Still I agree that it had the potential to have become a much bigger and better game.

I never looked at it that way. I guess it makes sense not to turn it into a game with many EP's if you loose TS3 players (which I doubt because it has a totally different feeling) If what you say is true, we are lucky we got an EP at all. The sims 2 stories never had EP's.
    Atreya33 wrote: »

I never looked at it that way. I guess it makes sense not to turn it into a game with many EP's if you loose TS3 players (which I doubt because it has a totally different feeling) If what you say is true, we are lucky we got an EP at all. The sims 2 stories never had EP's.
    I agree that it was a different feeling. But most simmers still only play one game at the time. So if Medieval had become as huge as TS3 then they would have had to choose which game to play and only a minority would have bought everything for both games. I am quite sure that this situation was what EA tried to avoid.

Spore
    DarkSpore
    SimCity
    SimCity DLC

Yes. TSM was released in March 2011 and Darkspore was released a month later in April 2011. But it was Darkspore that was made in Emeryville. You can ask Daniel if you want.

(insert smile) Credits are on the disc, you don't have to ask anybody. :)

Spore
    DarkSpore
    SimCity
    SimCity DLC

I know. But when I am watching movies there often are some of the actors who aren’t mentioned. So it can be hard to find out who they are. In the same way I am not sure that the credits always mention all the developers who maybe only worked at the game for a short time.

Spore
    DarkSpore
    SimCity
    SimCity DLC

I know. But when I am watching movies there often are some of the actors who aren’t mentioned. So it can be hard to find out who they are. In the same way I am not sure that the credits always mention all the developers who maybe only worked at the game for a short time.

They used to, including just interns (who work for free) but TS4 doesn't even have a credit section that I have seen in the game does it? I think they stopped listing who all worked on games and where.
  • LadyAlexielLadyAlexiel Posts: 123 Member
    > @SterreJana said:
    > I would love to have another kind of historic sims game, maybe even that you can start in stone-age or whatever time you want and start with a family then and keep playing through the centuries as one big legacy challenge! That would be PERFECT! And also make sure that the clothes are acurate for the time you are playing in and if you'd choose an outfit that is not acurate for that time then other in-game sims would react shocked to that or something! Really keep hoping something like that would come!

I love your idea, but i guess they would never do it since that might be too hard to make. kinda make me think of Age of empire except without war.Still i like your idea
    To see more of my creations click here.Or you can visit my sims 4 gallery
    HBmnvTh.jpg
  • ohmyohmyohmyohmy Posts: 614 Member
    Me too! it's a fun game. (:
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    I always love making a King that thinks he way better then everyone and he is always disgusted with his kingdoms surroundings.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641