Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims Debt

This is probably a strange thing to wish for, but I wish our sims could go into debt. I mean, if my sim doesn’t have enough money to buy the house they want, I know I can just cheat and add it... but I think it would be interesting to have more choices where my sim could take out a mortgage and then add that into their weekly bills. It would add some gameplay challenge for me. Just throwing the idea out there!

Comments

• CK213CK213 Posts: 20,525 Member
    edited December 2017
    I wish EA would add more depth to game play by adding more detail to sim economics.

I would love to see individual money accounts, allowance and piggy banks for children. Teens taking what the have earned with them when they move out. I would also like sims to be able to take out loans to buy something more upscale than a start house. They would have the risk of not being able to pay their bills if they lose their job, or suffer some other setbacks.

#DramaAndDanger
    Post edited by CK213 on
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    Does this mean debtors prison could be a thing?
    Fail to pay your loans, and you lose it all. Get thrown in to debtors prison, and have to work in the prison factory to pay back what you owe, and get enough to try to start over, but not be able to get a loan again.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Lomelindi7Lomelindi7 Posts: 1,339 Member
    CK213 wrote: »
    I wish EA would add more depth to game play by adding more detail to sim economics.

I would love to see individual money accounts, allowance and piggy banks for children. Teens taking what the have earned with them when they move out. I would also like sims to be able to take out loans to buy something more upscale than a start house. They would have the risk of not being able to pay their bills if they lose their job, or suffer some other setbacks.

Yes! I would love more depth to the financials as well and all of those suggestions would be something I would love in the game.
    Movotti wrote: »
    Does this mean debtors prison could be a thing?
    Fail to pay your loans, and you lose it all. Get thrown in to debtors prison, and have to work in the prison factory to pay back what you owe, and get enough to try to start over, but not be able to get a loan again.

I never would have thought of taking it that far, but honestly that could be a good challenge too! Sometimes you need the fear of messing up in the game to keep you engaged.
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    The closest we have now is the lights and gas turns off :p id like this too. We need more risks!
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
    The closest we have now is the lights and gas turns off :p id like this too. We need more risks!

Yeah and you have to try pretty hard to get that to happen Haha!
  • momoitomomoito Posts: 43 Member
    This is a pretty cool idea, especially for buying houses. Also there could be a difference when moving into houses where you could either rent or buy which could affect the bills. Credit cards could be a thing and credit lines could depend on things like career advancement.
  • Okto84Okto84 Posts: 197 Member
    It could be interesting, but then again debt would alter the game dynamic in some ways if you can just buy loads of stuff right away and pay for it later. There is for many players that progress of working up towards the better stuff.

I wish we had better money info though, a way to display income and outgoing money from the past week or something would help.
    Okto84 wrote: »
    It could be interesting, but then again debt would alter the game dynamic in some ways if you can just buy loads of stuff right away and pay for it later. There is for many players that progress of working up towards the better stuff.

I wish we had better money info though, a way to display income and outgoing money from the past week or something would help.

You can already do that... all you have to do is type the motherlode cheat. And of course, no one would have to put their sims in debt if they didn’t want to play that way.
    I’m thinking it would be more like big things such as for buying homes and vehicles... and then a detailed financial summary for the household. Perhaps even something to do with home values going up and down could be interesting
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    It’s hardly a risk though, my sim didn’t care one bit when it happened. They do care when the repo-man comes along.

I’d love for this game to have an actual banking system. Good idea!
    5JZ57S6.png
  • CheesySimsLoverCheesySimsLover Posts: 258 Member
    CK213 wrote: »

#DramaAndDanger

I agree, individual money accounts would be nice. I find it awkward when a teen/YA wants to move out from their family's house. Obviously, I cheat so they can afford a place to live, but it would be less weird if the money they made as a child/teen could go into their separate bank account. Children and teens could have chores around the house, or an option to "Borrow from Mom and Dad" or something similar. In the past, I've considered a challenge where I "pay back" the cheat "loan."
  • Okto84Okto84 Posts: 197 Member
    edited January 2018
    Lomelindi7 wrote: »

You can already do that... all you have to do is type the motherlode cheat. And of course, no one would have to put their sims in debt if they didn’t want to play that way.
    I’m thinking it would be more like big things such as for buying homes and vehicles... and then a detailed financial summary for the household. Perhaps even something to do with home values going up and down could be interesting

That's true, but cheat codes are sort of an extra, not something the game directly encourages players to do. The sims has always been a sort of soft-rules game that is mostly about creating the world players want, but the game design also needs to try to direct players towards styles of play that are usually more enjoyable.

Personally, I tend to just motherlode it and spend my time in game making cool houses and things - but not always. My thinking is something of a game design angle. We can cheat our sims back to happy, but what if there was an easily accessible button to do it? I think it would be sort of saying "this is part of the game's intended play", and once you start many would just keep using it, then get bored.

However, debt doesn't have to be unconditional. It could have conditions, for example be based on their income or value of the house.

Yes, an income/spending summary would be good!
  • ysa88ysa88 Posts: 260 Member
    I have enough of my own haha!! How I love motherlode.
    simblr

ea id: ysa_88
  • ShadyLady89ShadyLady89 Posts: 908 Member
    Lomelindi7 wrote: »

I like the idea of housing value going up or down in a community. More incentive to buy a new house at the right time, and such.
    Origin: ShadyLady1989 | please feel free to add/friend me!
    Sims 4 Blog
    Don't feed trolls. Do feed cowplants.