Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 2 Windows 7-10 Fixes

Comments

• NatoNato Posts: 35 New Member
    Hello everyone!
    As I'm not a member yet, I sadly can't open a new topic, so I'll have to ask my question here :s Sorry for the bother!
    So, I'm planning on buying a new laptop, and I would like to know if it could run The Sims 2 Complete Collection in good quality.

It's an HP laptop that runs on Windows 10 Home.
    Processor: AMD Quad-Core A8-7410
    RAM: 8 Gb
    Hard disk: 1 Tb SATA
    Graphic card: AMD Radeon R5

What do you think? Thank you very much in advance for your answers!
  • Scribal_GoddessScribal_Goddess Posts: 748 Member
    I think I can confirm that the ram is fine. But you will have to do some work to get sims 2 to install and for the game to actually recognize your graphics card. More information is available here: http://www.simsnetwork.com/simpedia/the-sims-2/editions/the-sims-2/specials/graphics-rules-maker-improve-compatibility-with
    Patron Goddess of Newbs and Ninnyhammers.
    TS2 Graphics Fix Tutorial]
  • MeggyPlumbobMeggyPlumbob Posts: 46 Member
    It'll run fine, it's just the graphics can be really glitchy. (At least they were for me) you'll need to install Graphics Rules Maker to fix that problem!
  • lovekelseydawnlovekelseydawn Posts: 4 New Member
    Wow guys, I'm really excited I've found this thread! I have been besides myself trying to figure out a fix! I sincerely hope ya'll will be able to help me with this, seeing as EA has been less than helpful.

I have downloaded Ultimate Collection through Origin. It was working perfectly fine up until about a month and a half ago. It worked one day, and then wouldn't load the next! I run the program as administrator, it opens in my processes, but never actually launches. It just hangs there forever.

I have tried repairing, reinstalling, everything I could think of. I also have the discs, and was able to install; unfortunately, the same issue occurred that way.

I've been considering using a sandbox to install Windows Vista, but I really don't want to go through learning all of that if there's an easier fix out there.

I greatly appreciate any assistance or ideas you can provide. I'm so upset; sims 2 is my absolute favorite series.
    Sorry guys, guess I should clarify I'm running on Windows 10.
  • JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Wow guys, I'm really excited I've found this thread! I have been besides myself trying to figure out a fix! I sincerely hope ya'll will be able to help me with this, seeing as EA has been less than helpful.

I have downloaded Ultimate Collection through Origin. It was working perfectly fine up until about a month and a half ago. It worked one day, and then wouldn't load the next! I run the program as administrator, it opens in my processes, but never actually launches. It just hangs there forever.

I have tried repairing, reinstalling, everything I could think of. I also have the discs, and was able to install; unfortunately, the same issue occurred that way.

I've been considering using a sandbox to install Windows Vista, but I really don't want to go through learning all of that if there's an easier fix out there.

I greatly appreciate any assistance or ideas you can provide. I'm so upset; sims 2 is my absolute favorite series.

First try this. Follow these instructions.

Go to "Run" or press Windows + R then type "regedit" and open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and then select SOFTWARE

For 32-Bit: Find "EA GAMES" folder and open "the sims 2" double-click on the Display Name then you will see the pop-up. Delete "™" from Value Data text field and the problem will solved.

For 64-Bit: Open "Wow6432Node" then Find "EA GAMES" folder and open "the sims 2" double-click the Display Name then you will see the pop-up. Delete "™" from Value Data text field and the problem will be solved.

Before: The Sims 2™ Ultimate Collection
    After: The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection

Hopefully that should take care of the problem for you. :)

If that doesn't do it, you can also remove Securom from your computer, and game. Follow the instructions on this site.

http://www.🐸🐸🐸🐸

Be sure to do ALL 3 steps. Usually Securom won't stop your game from launching, but it can especially on 10.

Try those things and test it out. Have you downloaded the graphics rules for your graphics card yet?

Hi Jules, thank you so much for your prompt assistance on this. Unfortunately, I have just tried all suggestions and I am still running into the same thing. I had some trouble with the removal tool at first, but it is now completely removed, including the license information. Now when I run the tool, nothing shows up after scanning for Securom.

I used the suggested no CD fix that Leefish suggested. I also downloaded and ran the graphics rule through sims network, and am still having the same problem. Thank you so much for any additional suggestions you might have.
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    @lovekelseydawn

I've had it not start and just hang several times over the years yet it would start with a new Save file (rename the EA Games folder). You did say you uninstalled/reinstalled so I doubt this will help either but have you started it with a new Save folder?

It's usually the cache files or the config files in Documents\EA Games\The Sims™ 2 Ultimate Collection

Do you run the game "As administrator?" Right click the start up on your desktop, select Properties/Shortcut tab at top- select Advanced near bottom and choose ~Run as administrator . Which you probably have done...
    edited May 2017
    @lovekelseydawn

Try to delete the cache files if you have any before starting the game like Rflong suggested, if that doesn't work there is only one other thing I can think of to try. Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection\Fun with Pets\SP9\TSBin\ Cut and move out the file called paul.dll , just paste it somewhere safe, such as the desktop. ( Don't delete it just in case) Then download this paul.dll file from EA help

http://d2ro3qwxdn69cl.cloudfront.net/documents/paul.dll

Put it in the same folder you took the old one out of, restart your computer, and see if it works for you.

Have you tried to run the game in compatibility mode with a earlier version of windows?
    Post edited by JULES1111 on
    Additionally, make sure to pause or turn off your antivirus before opening the game. If it's scanning the game files, they're potentially inaccessible.
    Oh my goodness, it's now working! I retried everything you noted here, as well as a few other things noted elsewhere and gave it one more solid shot before installing an OS on VMware, so I'm not sure exactly what did the trick. I greatly appreciate all of the assistance you guys have provided! Sims players are such a friendly and helpful community, thank you so much!
    @lovekelseydawn Yay! I am glad you got it working somehow. I hope you enjoy your game! :) Happy Simming!
  • luvmebbyluvmebby Posts: 3 New Member
    anyone still around? I managed to get mine to play with ultimate collection on windows 10 without changing anything. other than a black rectangle under sims in create a sim. but I still ended up using a graphics rule because I couldn't get simpe to find my game files for extraction. it runs terribly slow even with no custom content. but its custom content I want to make. simpe doesn't seem all that compatable with windows 10, there wont be anymore updates, you cant ask for help there, every tutorial and all instructions are now blank pages, you cant even make an account. just download simpe. but the simpe I have to use with windows 10 and UC is finally able to find all the game folders but most of the windows are black or white, I cant see any words just boxes that you can add checkmarks too. how do I know if I am pulling animations or any of the other options. when importing a mesh, same thing. you cant see any words and nothing imports no matter what format. does anyone know how to fix simpe? this is a 1 year old computer. radeon graphics. I do have the nvidia tools but I really dont think they work with windows 10 either. I wish sims 2 had studio like sims 4. something designed for windows 10 compatability. lets face it xp, vista no matter how much we miss them its just too difficult or expensive to find a legal copy. may my old computers rest in peace...
    @luvmebby Yup plenty of people still around. Unfortunately I don't use SimPE, so no idea how to fix your problem. There are plenty here who use it though that might be able to help. :)
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited December 2017
    luvmebby wrote: »
    anyone still around? I managed to get mine to play with ultimate collection on windows 10 without changing anything. other than a black rectangle under sims in create a sim. but I still ended up using a graphics rule because I couldn't get simpe to find my game files for extraction. it runs terribly slow even with no custom content. but its custom content I want to make. simpe doesn't seem all that compatable with windows 10, there wont be anymore updates, you cant ask for help there, every tutorial and all instructions are now blank pages, you cant even make an account. just download simpe. but the simpe I have to use with windows 10 and UC is finally able to find all the game folders but most of the windows are black or white, I cant see any words just boxes that you can add checkmarks too. how do I know if I am pulling animations or any of the other options. when importing a mesh, same thing. you cant see any words and nothing imports no matter what format. does anyone know how to fix simpe? this is a 1 year old computer. radeon graphics. I do have the nvidia tools but I really dont think they work with windows 10 either. I wish sims 2 had studio like sims 4. something designed for windows 10 compatability. lets face it xp, vista no matter how much we miss them its just too difficult or expensive to find a legal copy. may my old computers rest in peace...

Mod The Sims still has a very active Sims' 2 community which do ask and answer questions about SimPE and modding etc. Even for Windows 10. If I find you any links I will post back but you might have better luck looking over there in The Sims 2 community where many questions and tuts are still available about SimPE and they are still modding TS2 so you know some of them have Windows 10. I went back to Windows 7 because I really couldn't stand 8 and really don't like 10 at all.

I found after I went back to an older driver for my AMD/ATI card released last Oct. 2016 I no longer have the shadow boxes under Sims and my settings are on high. I no longer have to turn shadows down to medium.

ETA: I see you have already ask over there and no one has answered. Have you tried to set the SimPE.exe to 32bit instead of 64bit? that might be part of the problem as most machines today are 64bit.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    luvmebby wrote: »

This sounds like you downloaded the wrong version. Mine works fine (I can throw you some tutorials where the pictures weren't stolen by Photobucket if you want) on windows 10. I'm going to recolor some pictures in the next few days, if I can find the right tutorial I'll link it to you.
  • SimsplyRuthSimsplyRuth Posts: 1,186 Member
    I have the sims 2 ultimate collection and windows 10. I had a terrible time at first because origin installed the game to OneDrive which is way too small unless you pay windows monthly for more space. I finally found out how to move the game to just my documents in the PC and hide OneDrive. My problem now is I have some downloaded subhoods, placed correctly in the "neighborhood templates" from program files, the EP for the subhoods. When I go into my game and click on say shopping (I have 5 custom subhoods here) only Bluewater Village shows up. If I add that one, then the next one in the files comes up and can be selected. I used to get the full list of all available. Any suggestions?
    I have the sims 2 ultimate collection and windows 10. I had a terrible time at first because origin installed the game to OneDrive which is way too small unless you pay windows monthly for more space. I finally found out how to move the game to just my documents in the PC and hide OneDrive. My problem now is I have some downloaded subhoods, placed correctly in the "neighborhood templates" from program files, the EP for the subhoods. When I go into my game and click on say shopping (I have 5 custom subhoods here) only Bluewater Village shows up. If I add that one, then the next one in the files comes up and can be selected. I used to get the full list of all available. Any suggestions?

Hi :)

Iirc- you'll need a mod to show more than one- http://modthesims.info/d/420924
  • ElCaptainElCaptain Posts: 21 New Member
    Is there a way to make the Sims 2 load you directly on the Sims you are playing? Because I have one playable Sim right now and he is going to university. Meaning I have to sit through 3 or 4 loadscreens each time I start the game.
    @ElCaptain wrote: »
    Is there a way to make the Sims 2 load you directly on the Sims you are playing? Because I have one playable Sim right now and he is going to university. Meaning I have to sit through 3 or 4 loadscreens each time I start the game.

No.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    ElCaptain wrote: »

If you save the game while at Univeristy it should load the Uni hood instead of your main hood. Or maybe that is TS3. lol I just got confused. I should stop jumping around.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • slynnskislynnski Posts: 2,316 Member
    ElCaptain wrote: »

There is no way to load directly to them, but there is a quicker way instead of going through 3 or 4 load screens. Below I show you:

Sims2_EP9_2017-12-27_12-39-53-94.png

Here is the main neighborhood menu screen when you first open the game and choose which neighborhood you want to play. Instead of hitting the 'play' button, choose the little transparent university symbol button.

Sims2_EP9_2017-12-27_12-40-01-37.png

This brings up the menu to select which university you want to play. Once you select your university, then hit play, you'll go directly to the university hood, thus bypassing 2 of the 4 loading screens, like so:

Sims2_EP9_2017-12-27_12-40-11-61.png

Now you are directly into your university hood, voila:

Sims2_EP9_2017-12-27_12-41-07-16.png

Then you just click which household you want to play, like normal.

Sims2_EP9_2017-12-27_12-41-23-15.png

Yes, another loading screen, but only 2 is much better than 4.

Sims2_EP9_2017-12-27_12-41-54-56.png

There you are, and now you are ready to play. :)

It's still 3 loading screens... Game/Subhood/Lot. :)
  • slynnskislynnski Posts: 2,316 Member
    Rflong7 wrote: »

I was not counting the initial game loading screen...most games have initial loading/title screens, not just sims. So, I had assumed @ElCaptain meant after the game had initially loaded.

If you do count the initial game loading screen, then no, there is no way to have less than 3 loading screens.
    slynnski wrote: »
    Rflong7 wrote: »

I was not counting the initial game loading screen...most games have initial loading/title screens, not just sims. So, I had assumed @ElCaptain meant after the game had initially loaded.

If you do count the initial game loading screen, then no, there is no way to have less than 3 loading screens.

True- yet they weren't even sure how many they had to get through so... I counted them all. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top