Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

did anyone ask for this?

1235...Next

Comments

• ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    edited May 2017
    It doesn't really matter whether anyone asked for it or not - we got it :D

It will appeal to some people, of course, but how could a mobile game possibly compare to a 'real' pc game? There's no competition whatsoever, in my mind. But I do get scared sometimes - it does not seem that long ago (though it was probably 15-20 yrs) that I would walk into our local game store and see plenty of racks full of pc games - I go into that same store now and there is one small corner for pc games, tucked away. The remainder of the shop is for console games (which I have had brief plays with, but never anything long lasting).

I just hope that EA do not see mobile as the way of the future - after all, nearly everyone seems to own a mobile device of some sort and everywhere you go you can see people poking their devices. But mobile games do not provide a satisfactory in-depth experience and neither are they, in my opinion, a good long-term investment.

I feel that paying money into a mobile game is akin to feeding a slot machine - you get nothing in return, not really. Nothing you can keep for as long as you want it. Who is to say when a developer will pull the plug on that game you ploughed your hard earned cash into? And are you really going to want to play a game so shallow for a lengthy period of time anyway?

So we can only hope that games companies will still see the value and appeal of making future pc games and will continue to provide us with the 'real' experience.
    The reason is though that people usually don't buy their PC games in physical stores anymore. Instead they buy them as digital downloads. But the game companies still make a huge number of PC games. Just look at http://www.pcgamer.com/new-games-2017/
  • TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    For the first time in forever, I think I found something I agree with @Erpe on. While yes, retail stores have smaller areas for pc games, that doesn't really reflect a 'smaller market' for them. It just reflects that the market has shifted to digital distribution. I'll bet you a lot of the game boxes at your retail store have a code inside these days anyway.

Steam, and even Origin to some degree, have a very active marketplace. Steam even shows how many active players it has on a daily basis so you can see the market flow in real time.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
    For the first time in forever, I think I found something I agree with @Erpe on. While yes, retail stores have smaller areas for pc games, that doesn't really reflect a 'smaller market' for them. It just reflects that the market has shifted to digital distribution. I'll bet you a lot of the game boxes at your retail store have a code inside these days anyway.

Steam, and even Origin to some degree, have a very active marketplace. Steam even shows how many active players it has on a daily basis so you can see the market flow in real time.
    I know that furniture stores usually keep about 2/3 of the money we pay for the furniture and only give 1/3 of the money to their supplier. Game boxes often sell as slow as furniture. So I would expect the game stores to likely keep at least half of the money too. So it is very understandable that almost all the game companies now prefer to only sell their games as digital downloads ;)
  • TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    edited May 2017
    Erpe wrote: »

I know that furniture stores usually keep about 2/3 of the money we pay for the furniture and only give 1/3 of the money to their supplier. Game boxes often sell as slow as furniture. So I would expect the game stores to likely keep at least half of the money too. So it is very understandable that almost all the game companies now prefer to only sell their games as digital downloads ;)

That and they don't have to produce discs either. I'd say they don't have to produce packaging but they'll have a one line 10 digit-code or whatever in a dvd sized box, just so they could put those security tags on it for theft prevention, lol.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    edited May 2017
    I mean, is it really a big surprise that we got the Sims Mobile?

I didn't ask for it either, but it's here whether you wanted it or not.

Soon there's going to be The Sims 4 on 3ds handheld and soon enough console games as well. This is literally nothing new to the party with the sims series. I'm pretty indifferent to the whole thing. Between looking at the reviews and Alexis along with others doing video reviews and gameplay on it I'm just pretty 'meh' with it. Doesn't seem to have a lot of 'new features' to overshadow a single player sandbox style PC. A time waster app game just like any other one. I definitely can't see myself playing this for longer than twenty minutes much like any other app I play. Out of lives, hearts or whatever gotta wait for them to replenish and come back in an hour or two or maybe even the next day if I remember. Feel like this game might burn out my phone battery. ):

I'm sure it'll definitely appeal to others. Be it new sim players or people who enjoy mobile games like this. I've seen worse. People shell out money for things like 'choose your own path/stories' and those are just still images to unlock along with items to pretty up your immobile avatar.

So, I don't really feel cheated by a very watered down game of the Sims 4 that has a lot of repeated animations, lack of creative freedom and the same items from the game (with about 80% of it needing to be unlocked and then bought with coins/simcash.)
    5vJrxmT.png

That and they don't have to produce discs either. I'd say they don't have to produce packaging but they'll have a one line 10 digit-code or whatever in a dvd sized box, just so they could put those security tags on it for theft prevention, lol.
    The Sims 4 basegame was also sold in a box which only had a code that allowed you to download and install the game and a few other games have been made available in the same way. But even this doesn't seem to happen anymore. The reason isn't the cost to produce the boxes because that is cheap and not even as expensive as the many other ways of advertising which all companies use for their products all the time.

But stores need money to pay the employees for giving advices to customers and goods that sell well and they also need to keep a huge part of the income to pay their employees and as compensation for the space goods take up in the store. But games usually don't sell that well except for a short time after their release. Therefore the stores most likely don't want the games very long unless they can keep most of the money. But then it is much better for the game companies just to sell the games as downloads from Steam, Origin, Gog and similar services.
  • SataiDelennnSataiDelennn Posts: 1,265 Member

It will appeal to some people, of course, but how could a mobile game possibly compare to a 'real' pc game? There's no competition whatsoever, in my mind. But I do get scared sometimes - it does not seem that long ago (though it was probably 15-20 yrs) that I would walk into our local game store and see plenty of racks full of pc games - I go into that same store now and there is one small corner for pc games, tucked away. The remainder of the shop is for console games (which I have had brief plays with, but never anything long lasting).

I just hope that EA do not see mobile as the way of the future - after all, nearly everyone seems to own a mobile device of some sort and everywhere you go you can see people poking their devices. But mobile games do not provide a satisfactory in-depth experience and neither are they, in my opinion, a good long-term investment.

I feel that paying money into a mobile game is akin to feeding a slot machine - you get nothing in return, not really. Nothing you can keep for as long as you want it. Who is to say when a developer will pull the plug on that game you ploughed your hard earned cash into? And are you really going to want to play a game so shallow for a lengthy period of time anyway?

So we can only hope that games companies will still see the value and appeal of making future pc games and will continue to provide us with the 'real' experience.
    The reason is though that people usually don't buy their PC games in physical stores anymore. Instead they buy them as digital downloads. But the game companies still make a huge number of PC games. Just look at http://www.pcgamer.com/new-games-2017/

Which is a problem for me and why I am so limited to my already existing library of old games. I don't buy things online. I want to be able to go into a store (like Best Buy or even Game Stop) and purchase physical CD/DVD copies of my games.

Which is a problem for me and why I am so limited to my already existing library of old games. I don't buy things online. I want to be able to go into a store (like Best Buy or even Game Stop) and purchase physical CD/DVD copies of my games.
    I don't know your reasons for this. But if you fear that you could be forced to buy the same games again if you get a new computer then your fear is quite without reason because all the games that I have bought online are still available and I can install them again at any time if only I login to my account. So I can play them at any computer (if only it fulfills the game's minimum requirements).
  • Nomiko13Nomiko13 Posts: 1,497 Member
    The Sims 4 basegame was also sold in a box which only had a code that allowed you to download and install the game and a few other games have been made available in the same way. But even this doesn't seem to happen anymore. The reason isn't the cost to produce the boxes because that is cheap and not even as expensive as the many other ways of advertising which all companies use for their products all the time.

But stores need money to pay the employees for giving advices to customers and goods that sell well and they also need to keep a huge part of the income to pay their employees and as compensation for the space goods take up in the store. But games usually don't sell that well except for a short time after their release. Therefore the stores most likely don't want the games very long unless they can keep most of the money. But then it is much better for the game companies just to sell the games as downloads from Steam, Origin, Gog and similar services.

My Sims 4 base game I got had discs inside. It had Disc 1 and Disc 2.
    18447085_1177400145740218_2760194919245018065_n.jpg?oh=ffbe11de37632be814a595f47f4074f2&oe=59A6C33C

My Get To Work EP also has a disc.
    18556398_1177400189073547_5346386459763602602_n.jpg?oh=84beeaeb42f6c89d8ea2340c60158810&oe=59A93F2F

However, when I got a physical Bundle Pack, it had no disc inside and then on, I just bought codes online.

▼add/follow▼
    ●【youtube】【 sims 3 page】【gallery】●

mario_10.jpg
    ●|| free items | daily deals | cascades |thank you ||●
    ▲still waiting on sims 4 generations▲
    ▶owner of the store since 9/21/2017◀
    @Nomiko13 Okay. I bought TS4 as a digital download and only wrote something I had read from others. But I believe you.
  • Nomiko13Nomiko13 Posts: 1,497 Member
    @Nomiko13 Okay. I bought TS4 as a digital download and only wrote something I had read from others. But I believe you.

I was honestly taken aback when I got a bundle and it just had a code inside the box. I feel kinda detached from that pack in my collection :lol: I was expecting a disc inside since the base game and EP1 had 'em.

Also, I'd like to acknowledge your earlier response to me about the mobile game - it was an interesting point :smile:
    ▼add/follow▼
    ●【youtube】【 sims 3 page】【gallery】●

mario_10.jpg
    ●|| free items | daily deals | cascades |thank you ||●
    ▲still waiting on sims 4 generations▲
    ▶owner of the store since 9/21/2017◀
  • WinMacSims3WinMacSims3 Posts: 1,610 Member
    @Nomiko13 I'm guessing your copy of The Sims 4 is an older copy because it only says PC DVD-ROM SOFTWARE (just like The Sims 2 and The Sims Stories games) whereas Get to Work's is different. Early copies of The Sims 4 only had PC DVD-ROM SOFTWARE and didn't mention Mac anywhere on the cover but later copies of The Sims 4 changed it likely to avoid confusion on if The Sims 4 was Mac compatible.
    Origin ID: GothicSimmer, YouTube: GothicSimmer
  • adamlevineadamlevine Posts: 14 New Member
    I too, do not.