Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do we need a Sims 5?

Comments

• MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Orchid13 wrote: »
    I don't think there should be a sims 5. Not in the next year or two. I don't say that coming from a place of adoration for the sims 4, I say it because I think the sims 4 is very much unfinished and I would rather they fix the issues with 4 before repeating the entire cycle.

That being said I think if and when we get a sims 5 it will be an even more simplified version of the sims 4. I don't think EA would risk an open world and all those features again.

My problem with TS4, is how much can we expect from it? It seems like in general is very limited.

If I'm feeling positive I think hopefully we will see improvements

If I'm feeling cynical, I think this is the best it's going to get and I go back to previous games.

I felt like that when vampires came out. But then bowling, fitness and one sp for 3 months threw me off again.

I don't mind about one stuff pack. I would happily get rid of them if it meant more meaningful content more regularly instead of throwing crumbs at us via stuff packs.

The sims 4 has a lot of limitations, I would be very surprised if the game didn't continue that trend with a sims 5. Providing people will pay for individual things like bowling and laundry there's nothing stopping them from continuing the trend of stuff packs, stuff packs and more stuff packs for a future game. I know the argument is "well they have game play objects" but I remember when stuff packs were just stuff. We got game play items a plenty in expansions.
  • Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    I don't think there should be a sims 5. Not in the next year or two. I don't say that coming from a place of adoration for the sims 4, I say it because I think the sims 4 is very much unfinished and I would rather they fix the issues with 4 before repeating the entire cycle.

That being said I think if and when we get a sims 5 it will be an even more simplified version of the sims 4. I don't think EA would risk an open world and all those features again.

My problem with TS4, is how much can we expect from it? It seems like in general is very limited.

If I'm feeling positive I think hopefully we will see improvements

If I'm feeling cynical, I think this is the best it's going to get and I go back to previous games.

I felt like that when vampires came out. But then bowling, fitness and one sp for 3 months threw me off again.

I don't mind about one stuff pack. I would happily get rid of them if it meant more meaningful content more regularly instead of throwing crumbs at us via stuff packs.

The sims 4 has a lot of limitations, I would be very surprised if the game didn't continue that trend with a sims 5. Providing people will pay for individual things like bowling and laundry there's nothing stopping them from continuing the trend of stuff packs, stuff packs and more stuff packs for a future game. I know the argument is "well they have game play objects" but I remember when stuff packs were just stuff. We got game play items a plenty in expansions.

I wouldn't mind less SPs if we didn't get one EP per year and GPs thrown at us randomly. We had to wait a year between spa day and dine out.
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Lomelindi7Lomelindi7 Posts: 1,339 Member
    edited July 2017
    We do need a Sims 5 if we do not want the series to die out. Unless and until another company decides to take a crack at life simulation (and there is a lot of potential for a different approach), The Sims series is all we have.

The way the Sims games have tackled life simulation has remained more or less the same. There have for sure been a few tweaks, but the basics of creating a character (or multiple characters) and controlling their homes and careers within the confines of the game engine has remained the same. Thinking outside the box, I can picture a life simulation working very differently. What if you created your households but you could zoom in or out of any household at any time, taking control of any sim in the town/world at any moment, not worrying about loading at all between situations. You could zoom way out and control a bunch of households at once or zoom into one house and control them all or just one sim in the house. I have lots of ideas of a more global simulation system but my point is that The Sims series will eventually NEED to evolve and take a new approach.

So although I think Sims 4 will eventually be an OK game at the end of its lifespan, it will eventually reach an end. Whether we get a Sims 5 from EA or someone else really tackles the genre, we need something new to eventually come out or the genre as well as series will die out.

*edited for typos.
  • ladybreidladybreid Posts: 3,455 Member
    Do we need TS5?

Eventually but not yet. TS4 has quite a ways to go I should hope. As it stands now it is still overshadowed in many aspects by it predecessors. If they announced ts5 for next year and this was pretty well it for stuff for ts4 I wouldn't want 5 because 4 would have been left far too unfinished for me. Weather, Pets, Uni, without these things 4 will not be complete for me.

I wouldn't buy into 5 without 4 being more complete.
    wz3Vdbh.jpg
    Saying "not to be rude", then blatently being rude does not excuse rude behavior.
    edited July 2017
    It sounds like people want TS4 to stick around just cause it still feels empty instead of because it's fun. I used to think like that, but it's being so slow that i feel like it will always feel empty, or at least till it's very end

I mean pets will help, but then people will want seasons... that's another year and then probably university which I don't even know if it will make a come back.

Then more vacation spots it's been 2 years and a half and we still have the same vacation spot as always, as for more supernaturals it's still a mystery. We still don't know what else they will try to replace with GPs.
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Nik24X7Nik24X7 Posts: 7,865 Member
    I will probably always think of Sims 4 as being Sims Light. Everything seems like a stripped down version of what we got in earlier versions. For example, in Sims 3 we could put a couple fish in the aquarium and they would spawn offspring. In Sims 4, no option for that. That's just one example of how we got a lighter version of the predecessor. But I am having fun with Sims 4. I do think they did Vampires better than any prior iteration.
    Origin ID: nik24x7
  • karizzleskarizzles Posts: 263 Member
    I don't think that people are begging for TS5 soon, just the idea of TS5 and just predict what will come of it.
    0002745_yuri-on-ice-nitotan-plush-keychains_550.jpeg

karizzles wrote: »
    I don't think that people are begging for TS5 soon, just the idea of TS5 and just predict what will come of it.

Not begging, but certainly want it to come out soon
    21mbz47.jpg
  • MarktnMarktn Posts: 554 Member
    karizzles wrote: »

I tend to agree. I think people are expressing frustration as well as projecting hope for the future. I still have to say TS are my favorite games though.
  • BariSaxyBariSaxy Posts: 4,699 Member
    There is still so much room for improvement with The Sims series, and I don't feel like The Sims 4 has really brought about many improvements aside from some CAS options, so of course we need a The Sims 5.

Personally, I'm in a period of my life where I'm short on money, though, so The Sims 4 being the thing right now and me not caring about it works out well for me.
    OO2UdmJ.png
  • TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    edited July 2017
    I think each new iteration is an opportunity to do something better or different with the core systems and that means there's always a place for another iteration, as long as the interest is there from players. In terms of simulating life, there's a lot that hasn't been done with this series yet that could be done. It's kind of the holy grail of game subjects for a company to make product for in one sense, considering that it's imitating the biggest subject our species has: Life. The drawback is that because it's so broad, there will always be things left out that some cluster of people really wanted.

Edit: Also, I think it will be interesting to see what can happen with modding, if possibilities/tools for it are even more robust in future iterations. Modding for a game like this can be a huge thing, imo, in terms of filling gaps that the devs don't have time to fill.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • ElenPinkElenPink Posts: 541 Member
    I am not ready for a Sims 5...yet. I have always been late and getting the new Sims games (I wait then theyre on sale, or my computer isnt bulky enough to handle it). I am hoping they could just release the expansions packs people have been craving. If they do make the Sims 5 however, I hope they make it like the Sims 2 and 3 but better, with a sprinkle of Sims. Include open world, but also have the nice social interactions of the Sims 4.
    webp_net_gifmaker_by_sarcasmisbetter-dcfn6tz.gif
  • SStyleSStyle Posts: 2 New Member
    Personally, I like Sims 4 and would like them to build off of this one. Change it to open world, Etc but when you think about it. Releasing the new sims is how they make money, They even said if Sims 4 isn't successful then there will be no Sims 5 and Sims 4 is pretty successful. So even if they do or don't release Sims 5. I'm pretty sure most Sims fans will buy 5.
  • wolfkomoki1wolfkomoki1 Posts: 5,053 Member
    Personally, I'm not ready for The sims 5. They need to fill in the gaps to The Sims 4 before I even want to think about a The sims 5. This game is still missing so much.
    6JSxk49.png?1
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    I don't want Sims 5, not if it means abandoning TS4. Simply because I already spent obscene amounts of money on 1, 2, and 4, as well as obscene amounts of time on creating people and buildings and custom clothes, and I have no intention of doing it all again. I want EA to improve TS4 so it becomes the best Sims game ever, and then keep playing that. (Yes, I realise it sounds like I'm living in a dreamworld, but TS2 was also a bug fest at first and they fixed it eventually, so not all hope is lost.)
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,912 Member
    I don't want Sims 5, not if it means abandoning TS4. Simply because I already spent obscene amounts of money on 1, 2, and 4, as well as obscene amounts of time on creating people and buildings and custom clothes, and I have no intention of doing it all again. I want EA to improve TS4 so it becomes the best Sims game ever, and then keep playing that. (Yes, I realise it sounds like I'm living in a dreamworld, but TS2 was also a bug fest at first and they fixed it eventually, so not all hope is lost.)

Me too. All I ever wanted from these games is the chance to afford a PC to play them at maximum level before they begin on a new iteration as well. I want EA to get rid of all the bugs in 4 before moving on so that I can play it smoothly.
    I think 4 will be my last Sims buy.
  • SapientsimsolidSapientsimsolid Posts: 3,169 Member
    edited November 2017
    I hope they make a Sims 5 but I wish they'd incorporate all the good things people like from all the games into one game, and make a new
    game engine that can work well with both Mac and PC platforms. It'd be awesome & something I'd look excitably forward to.
    Right now playing Sims 2/3 sometimes 4 but not so much. When I play each game, there are features I wish it had from one of the other games, like being able to pay bills, text with phone. This is in Sims 4, but texting is not in Sims 2 understandably, and paying bills by phone is not in Sims 3, which is not understandable to me because the Sim has a lot of other abilities with their phone, like texting. Just an example.
    Also with the fishing, like the Sims fishing better in Sims 3 than 4.
    Sims 2 fishing is way too slow, but again understandable because the game had to progress.
    Writing songs is cool to me in Sims 4 but its not available in Sims 3.
    Like the gardening better in Sims 3 than 4, but there are some skills available in Sims 4 like grafting that would be cool if in 3.
    The pregnancy is more realistic in Sims 4 than 3, but Sims 2 pregnancy can hold its own for the date of the game.
    Like the design, building options in Sims 3 better than 4.
    Cooking is a whole lot more fleshed out in Sims 3 with better recipes and like that better.
    And definitely an open world like the ones in Sims 3 is something that appeals to me more than loading points.
    To add: also love how Sims 3 and 2 seem to be chock full of things a Sim can do. Love options. But Sims 4 has been slow on this front, but love the more advanced Sims in 4, just don't like how Sims giggle while eating alone, and seem to be talking to themselves :/
  • lonestarranger01lonestarranger01 Posts: 60 Member
    I wouldn't mind a Sims 5 personally in the future, but not at this point. This games feel incomplete and with previous iterations when you do have all the expansions packs, at least to me , you get a sense of completeness from the game.
    “It matters not what someone is born, but what they grow to be.” –The Goblet of Fire
  • KIDOBLIVIONKIDOBLIVION Posts: 1 New Member
    Hello,

Just my two cents. But I personally love how they designed many aspects of the Sims 4. The visuals, the emotions, CAS, and all the new skills that allow unique interactions. I feel as though the Sims 3 had some of the best expansions to date. Along with a few Sims 2 expansions. The open world idea of Sims 3 could have worked if they did the visuals as they did in Sims 4. I believe how it was set up for Sims 3 didnt run well because of character and object design but the Sims 4 is near perfect. Also certain aspects to house design on TS3 and TS4 could be fused to make really great structures. Again just how I have felt since my first time playing Sims 4 near after its release.
  • AshtontoAshton22AshtontoAshton22 Posts: 1,797 Member
    I'm a newbie Simmer so I'm probably biased and extremely naive about the other Sims games. I just really love how simple the game interface is. Emotions make the game more realistic, although Happy is a bit too overpowering. This game has enormous potential and I can't imagine any better Sims than this. Of course there's always room for improvement, like the incessant autonomous spamming of certain interactions like Serenade, but all in all, it's a pretty good game.
  • MaxineMaxiMumMaxineMaxiMum Posts: 26 Member
    I think I am like many other people. I do not mind if they make sims 5 but not for a while. I am still learning and exploring sims 4 so I want to have the time to enjoy it before the next big thing.
  • sunrose22sunrose22 Posts: 1 New Member
    Oh c'mon, guys, they're not going to discontinue Sims 4 expansion and stuff packs until they squeeze out as much of our money as they can. We should all know this by now :smile:

I personally wish 5 would come out soon, so Sims 4 expansions will become cheap! I wait until all the expansions are out and discounted to really invest in them. I did the same with Sims 3, and don't regret it one bit. Sadly, Sims 2 was the last Sims base game that was fun by itself, whereas Sims 3 and Sims 4 base were boring as heck. It takes a few expansions to make them worth playing.

So, I don't care either way. I'm pretty sure we have a few more packs before we find out.
  • PurpleNightOwlPurpleNightOwl Posts: 205 Member
    I'd like to see The Sims 5, but I'm happy to wait a few years. I'm quite happy with The Sims 4, and I don't feel like I've seen everything The Sims 4 has to offer yet (I want to see Seasons and a University expansion). To be honest, I really have no clue what The Sims 5 might be like, because look at the comparisons between The Sims 3 and 4. The Sims 4 was more cartoony and stripped back (no cars to drive in, world isn't as open as it used to be). Who knows what The Sims 5 would have to offer?
  • butterfly61butterfly61 Posts: 1,921 Member
    If there is a Sims 5 I really hope they go back to the open world, I feel like so much is missing without it.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited December 2017
    Hell yes. TS4 is such a mess we need a proper sequel after TS3, that improves the series overall.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1