Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Writers' Lounge - For All Games!

Comments

• CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    Hi, Silver! So nice to see you this morning! :)
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • SilverDaybreakSilverDaybreak Posts: 2,080 Member
    Hi again @everyone,

@CathyTea Nice to be back.

Just stopping by with the link to my update Simself with hubby Grant and please feel free to use us in any collaboration stories.

https://athena.thesims.com/v1/images/0/0x00001058/0C54720F-E284-11E7-86AF-AD788B708746/00.jpg00.jpg
    Pegasus143 wrote: »
    Found this video today (this morning? tonight? I'm really not sure what time it is anymore) on YouTube that's about purpose and motivation for creative things. The creator draws, but I felt like what he talks about is really applicable to SimLit as well. Plus, his drawings (at least in this video) are SO intricate! Which brings me to a discussion question...
    What is/are your reason(s) why you write SimLit? You can answer this for any other creatively-oriented things you do as well, if you'd like.

I also play violin and write "regular" fanfic for other fandoms as well as writing SimLit, though I think my reasons really apply to all of them. My number one reason is definitely to have fun. It's a great break from schoolwork, and I always come out feeling refreshed. My second reason is because of the community involved-- obviously the communities are different for the three things I listed, but without these I'd basically have no friends. My third reason is to challenge myself-- I'm always finding ways to do things better, to be more detailed, to show more of me in all of the creative things I do, and in those ways I'm always improving. And for my final reason-- which I feel is the most important one-- processing. All of these things really help me process and work through events in my life, in the news, etc. In writing, this is usually through putting a similar situation in my stories and figuring out how different characters might approach and work through it. And some of their approaches actually work really well for real! With playing violin, I find it's a lot easier to express emotion through music instead of words, so that usually becomes more "emotional processing" than the "logical processing" of writing, but both are still equally important-- it's kind of hard to think logically when all you're emotions are out of whack, but if you don't solve the problem causing those emotions then you'll spend all your time in processing them, without room for anything else.

I really like this question, @Pegasus143 , and I especially like your answer! I was thinking of all the reasons I write and play cello while I was reading your answer (fun, fulfillment, challenge, developing skill), and then when I read your insight about writing for processing, I realized that was the main driver for me, too.

The other day, I witnessed a serious bike accident--another witness and I ended up helping the guy who got injured--and it's been challenging to integrate and move through the experience. (I'm pretty sure the bicyclist will be OK--he needed a few stitches in his lip, and he might have a slight concussion, but he should be all right after a bit of time to heal.) I keep thinking that working something like this into a story would help me out a lot.

So, yeah: I think I'm with you. Writing presents a rewarding opportunity to integrate and process.

With music, I use it to put my brain (synapses and chemistry) in order: Bach is designed for this! :) Cello (like violin, too, I'd imagine) also sends musical vibrations through the body, even through the spaces in the bones, so that resonance feels very healing, too.

For me, I've discovered, I need writing, art, logical puzzles, and music to keep healthy. They're as essential, for me, to health as yoga, gardening, daily walks, sleep, and a healthy diet!

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    @Pegasus143 I love that question! :heart: I'll try to return later to answer it (I enjoyed reading yours!). I've been so incredibly busy with my new house lately that it's like I have no time for anything else... Not even saying hi in the lounge :( And definitely not writing either...

But I did manage to get a chapter done for today :)

6.48: Three Million Euros
    FNACfDV.png

why is harper mad? lol. she always seems mad from what i see but like with trip i really should read the story. now i just need time to.
    Found this video today (this morning? tonight? I'm really not sure what time it is anymore) on YouTube that's about purpose and motivation for creative things. The creator draws, but I felt like what he talks about is really applicable to SimLit as well. Plus, his drawings (at least in this video) are SO intricate! Which brings me to a discussion question...
    What is/are your reason(s) why you write SimLit? You can answer this for any other creatively-oriented things you do as well, if you'd like.

I also play violin and write "regular" fanfic for other fandoms as well as writing SimLit, though I think my reasons really apply to all of them. My number one reason is definitely to have fun. It's a great break from schoolwork, and I always come out feeling refreshed. My second reason is because of the community involved-- obviously the communities are different for the three things I listed, but without these I'd basically have no friends. My third reason is to challenge myself-- I'm always finding ways to do things better, to be more detailed, to show more of me in all of the creative things I do, and in those ways I'm always improving. And for my final reason-- which I feel is the most important one-- processing. All of these things really help me process and work through events in my life, in the news, etc. In writing, this is usually through putting a similar situation in my stories and figuring out how different characters might approach and work through it. And some of their approaches actually work really well for real! With playing violin, I find it's a lot easier to express emotion through music instead of words, so that usually becomes more "emotional processing" than the "logical processing" of writing, but both are still equally important-- it's kind of hard to think logically when all you're emotions are out of whack, but if you don't solve the problem causing those emotions then you'll spend all your time in processing them, without room for anything else.

well i started playing sims4 and i went to the mega thread and would post about the things my sims did it was just for fun. i never thought about actually writing. then this sweet funny creative person said to me who did what again, and i had jus been posting so i had no real answer for that . and a few confusing posts later i confused this poor woman so much she went through the thread and wrote it all down,

i was grateful. and i realized i could come out of my shell a little because if she was nice maybe thers were too.

so i wanted to write on my own but the mega thread was still to scary. so i went to this smart funny creative woman and said i want to start my own thread want to help?

and she said yes. that of course was cathtea.

but ever since she said yes i have wrote on my own.

well i started playing sims4 and i went to the mega thread and would post about the things my sims did it was just for fun. i never thought about actually writing. then this sweet funny creative person said to me who did what again, and i had jus been posting so i had no real answer for that . and a few confusing posts later i confused this poor woman so much she went through the thread and wrote it all down,

i was grateful. and i realized i could come out of my shell a little because if she was nice maybe thers were too.

so i wanted to write on my own but the mega thread was still to scary. so i went to this smart funny creative woman and said i want to start my own thread want to help?

Ha! This is such a sweet thing to say! And of course your stories are awesome! I'm so glad you're writing.

• ForgottenPixelsForgottenPixels Posts: 11,376 Member
    Hey!!
  • Katie123Katie123 Posts: 925 Member
    Hi everyone I'm new to reading simlit, in fact I haven't ever read any... I know the SHOCK!
    Please recommend me somewhere to start. Do you have a beginners recommendation?

thanks
    tumblr_n25chlaSo01rrajoto1_500.gif

Katie123
  • ForgottenPixelsForgottenPixels Posts: 11,376 Member
    Katie123 wrote: »
    Hi everyone I'm new to reading simlit, in fact I haven't ever read any... I know the SHOCK!
    Please recommend me somewhere to start. Do you have a beginners recommendation?

thanks

Hey @Katie123 ! It really depends on what type of story interests you. :)
  • SoulGal7SoulGal7 Posts: 3,630 Member
    Hi everyone. I have been busy in rl, so haven't been able to write a lot, but here is a word from Hank....on the umm....birds and bees...for your pets. Enjoy.

https://soulgal7.wordpress.com/2017/12/16/hank-and-patches-doggone-diggins-and-they-called-it-puppy-love

encourage_to_mate_with.png
    CathyTea wrote: »

Ha! This is such a sweet thing to say! And of course your stories are awesome! I'm so glad you're writing.

i had a good influence. and now that i don't have sister in law anymore your the closest thing i have to a sister.
    i know i bragged on cathtea this morning but between dad dying and my brother getting divorced. actually still i process. getting implies its final not yet. i dove farther in to the lounge because its not just a group of faceless writers or a community its a family.
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,750 Member
    edited December 2017
    new chapter
    Z2GfSB.jpg
    6adMCGP.gif
    edited December 2017
    MadameLee wrote: »

your sims hit each other a lot.

I need to fixthat..I mislabelled the chapter
    6adMCGP.gif

your sims hit each other a lot.

I need to figure that..I mislabelled the chapter

okay.
    correct title 6boWrl.jpg
    6adMCGP.gif
    @friendsfan367 well they ARE cursed.. so ...
    6adMCGP.gif
    here's a funny picture from the future chapter
    mqf6Nqo.png
    6adMCGP.gif

i had a good influence. and now that i don't have sister in law anymore your the closest thing i have to a sister.[/quote]

Well, she'll likely always be your sister-in-law! At least, I've seen it work that way.

i know i bragged on cathtea this morning but between dad dying and my brother getting divorced. actually still i process. getting implies its final not yet. i dove farther in to the lounge because its not just a group of faceless writers or a community its a family.

That's so true! <3 And it is a process. I'm not sure if it's ever final!

CathyTea wrote: »

i had a good influence. and now that i don't have sister in law anymore your the closest thing i have to a sister.

Well, she'll likely always be your sister-in-law! At least, I've seen it work that way.[/quote]

doubtful. she would love if the one day a week custody arangement stuck. elsa starts off that way but eventually put her kids first. no i'm not that far yet but thats what i remember.

so you are the closest. i guess i'm lucky though shes said bad stuff about my mom and brother but she leaves me out.

so your a better sis. love you.
    Maybe she'll come around, too? It's also a process! Takes a while to get past the hurt and anger, for sure.

So... December 17 is a BIG birthday day! It's the birthday of three folks here!

Happy birthday to @MedleyMisty ! So happy you're my friend and so happy you're participating in collabs with me! Wishing you a great year with lots of writing, lots of good health, lots of happiness, and lots of love! :)<3

misty1.png

And... it's also @AuroraLockwood 's birthday! Yay! So happy that you're back here in time for your birthday, and I'm so happy you've given us more stories to read this year! Thank you! Wishing you a great year to come! :)

aurora1.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top