Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Kindness Bench for SimLit Writers - For All Games!

Comments

• CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    Bugsie2016 wrote: »
    Back from my tea break. Did I miss anything?

did you bring cookies?

Nope. :p
    @Bugsie2016 what? You didn't bring cookies? What kind of tea break was this? Everybody knows that tea breaks involve tea and biscuits. :D

You do? I don't, I just get the tea :lol: (I'm a (british) northerner, we just drink tea or coffee. No cookies. :) )

@Bugsie2016 Is it good old Yorkshire tea? That's what my mum drinks. ;) She's a northerner too.

Nope, cheap brand tea 'cause i'm the only one that drinks it. :) It probably tastes the same!
    Tesco%20160%20Teabags%20500G.jpg

Ahh, mum likes a shot of the hard stuff. We say her tea looks more like treacle than anything. :D

Treacle? I add milk and sugar (I can live without the sugar though) and that's my typical tea. Why are we having a tea discussion?

Oh no she doesn't add treacle to the tea, her tea looks like treacle. :D I have no idea why we are discussing tea. Seemed like a good topic at the time. :D

Serious question, are we (my homeland people) actually known for tea? I've always wondered but i've never got the chance to ask a non brit. :D

You are absolutely known for and admired for tea! The Western world owes its tea-drinking to the British Empire! :)
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
    @Bugsie2016 :D oh, wow, that's cool. We're not far behind you, I think. :D

@everyone so about to begin my adventure with my fellow hobbits. So, see you all briefly next week and the week after for an update, including a Christmas special, and in the new year for regular chatting and reading. :) hope you all have a wonderful holiday, and, for those who celebrate Christmas, hope you have a great Christmas. All the best for the new year.

Simscognito.

Happy Christmas, Cog! I love you very much and thank you for spreading so much cheer around here! Have a lovely adventure with the Hobbits! Listen to everything Gandalf says! He knows best! :)

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    edited December 2017
    :)
    CathyTea wrote: »

@everyone so about to begin my adventure with my fellow hobbits. So, see you all briefly next week and the week after for an update, including a Christmas special, and in the new year for regular chatting and reading. :) hope you all have a wonderful holiday, and, for those who celebrate Christmas, hope you have a great Christmas. All the best for the new year.

Simscognito.

Happy Christmas, Cog! I love you very much and thank you for spreading so much cheer around here! Have a lovely adventure with the Hobbits! Listen to everything Gandalf says! He knows best! :)

in addition to dogacy i came up with cog. it was easier to spell than incognito.

i am suprised you know what a hobbit is usually you lean toward artsy movies. well you know what i mean.
  • BlackUndecimberBlackUndecimber Posts: 1,116 Member
    Hi all. So umm… A small while back I posted here that I’m scared of sharing my writing, and that hasn’t changed. I still think my writing is bad with lots of holes and jumping around, weirdly paced, doesn’t make logical sense, kinda pretentious even though I hate pretentiousness, and some posts are downright cringey. (I blame my founder. He’s an awkward romantic.)
    But I’ve come to the realization that if I don’t share, I’ll never get any better. I’ll hate my writing later just as much as I hate it now, and there will never be a ‘good’ time to start showing it to others. So, I’m going to suck it up and share.
    Anyone who has the time, I would very much appreciate it if you could take a look at my story,
    leo-and-yuki4.jpg
    https://wintersalchemy.wordpress.com/
    Even though I know I’ll still have almost zero visitors, I’m still nervous hehe… Small steps.
    Any comment is welcome. Good comments, bad comments, straight-out diss comments… I take all!
    Thank you everyone, have a nice day.
  • rednenemonrednenemon Posts: 3,206 Member
    @chalicen

I took a peek at the site and a chapter or two, and...

Well, you wouldn't be the first one to write a Sims story with no screenshots. :p
    AO3: Silver_Shortage_in_Markarth <(Where I'm usually at nowadays)
    MQ2gUyY.jpg
    Part One(Complete 9/24/16) /Part Two(on hold)/Short Stories(on hold)/Twinbrook 1996(on hold)/Ten Crystal Hearts (on hold)
    I own the TS3 Store as of 12/11/16 (sort of. It's complicated)
    @rednenemon Hehe yeah the point is that it's badly written with no screenshots to make up for it xD
    I've been reading your story, and yeah it's good to know people can write SimLit without screenshots! It was inspiring, for me, anyway.
  • MedleyMistyMedleyMisty Posts: 1,188 Member
    chalicen wrote: »
    Hi all. So umm… A small while back I posted here that I’m scared of sharing my writing, and that hasn’t changed. I still think my writing is bad with lots of holes and jumping around, weirdly paced, doesn’t make logical sense, kinda pretentious even though I hate pretentiousness, and some posts are downright cringey. (I blame my founder. He’s an awkward romantic.)
    But I’ve come to the realization that if I don’t share, I’ll never get any better. I’ll hate my writing later just as much as I hate it now, and there will never be a ‘good’ time to start showing it to others. So, I’m going to suck it up and share.
    Anyone who has the time, I would very much appreciate it if you could take a look at my story,
    leo-and-yuki4.jpg
    Even though I know I’ll still have almost zero visitors, I’m still nervous hehe… Small steps.
    Any comment is welcome. Good comments, bad comments, straight-out diss comments… I take all!

I have read it all and I love it very very much.
    Sometimes the darkness and I tell stories.
    @MedleyMisty Thank you so much for reading. I won't say the same thing twice, but you taking the time to read it really means a lot to me.
  • MedleyMistyMedleyMisty Posts: 1,188 Member
    @MedleyMisty Thank you so much for reading. I won't say the same thing twice, but you taking the time to read it really means a lot to me.

It was a quick read and very easy to get caught up on. :) I followed your blog so I can try to stay somewhat caught up.
    Sometimes the darkness and I tell stories.

Simscognito.

in addition to dogacy i came up with cog. it was easier to spell than incognito.

i am suprised you know what a hobbit is usually you lean toward artsy movies. well you know what i mean.

It was a book first, and one I grew up with! ;) My dad read it to us.

@chalicen Guess what? I'm at your blog and I just read the intro, and I love it already! I am a huge fan of pictureless SimLit! :) And I really like your funny, endearing tone that you establish in the intro...

OK. Off to read! Don't be too nervous! I'm heading in there already in love! :)

@chalicen Guess what? I'm at your blog and I just read the intro, and I love it already! I am a huge fan of pictureless SimLit! :) And I really like your funny, endearing tone that you establish in the intro...

OK. Off to read! Don't be too nervous! I'm heading in there already in love! :)

wait don't go yet. pulls collar. i can't find it.

since your probabably going to confuse me tomorrow help me tonight. :)

just playing the odds 50/50 chance of not being confused. i'm a little depressed because the week went by so fast tomoorrow is saturday.

Simscognito.

It was a book first, and one I grew up with! ;) My dad read it to us.

i know its a book..
  • emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,121 Member
    leo-and-yuki4.jpg

@chalicen Aww... I understand your nervousness because I am a shy one myself sometimes when sharing my talents, but with little baby steps you'll feel more and more comfortable doing so. Trust yourself. <3

And I don't think you give yourself enough credit with this story because I read the first 3 chapters and it's super cute!!! Very well written, excellent dialogue! :star: Really. I want more (I love a good romance novel) and may just finish reading it tonight. :grin:
    Is it still a work in progress?

But yeah it's really good, even with the lack of screenshots. ;) But that's ok because it allows the reader to picture it all in their own way and in some ways that's more enjoyable. :)

Keep up the great work!
    52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg
    leo-and-yuki4.jpg

@RipuAncestor : You will love this! Grim's in it! In several incarnations! :)

@For_Eorzea : You will love this! Awesome world-building! Fairy tale type feel! Really neat kind of magical old world setting...

@Xantheanmar : I think you'll love this, too! The narrative pacing and the use of time lapses to advance the story remind me of your work.

@chalicen You're so brave to share it. Thank you! I just had a really, really, really fun and happy half hour reading it!
    YUKI! :)

@emorrill Thank you very much. Your support means a lot to me, as does the comment :) I started reading your Quantum Leap story, and I love it so far! Always looking forward to more.

@CathyTea I have no words to express how grateful I am, first for setting up this thread, and second for taking your time to read my writing. I'm so glad you enjoyed it. I hope you don't mind me going through your comments and replying to them, I love replying to comments! Heck, if I hadn't shared, I wouldn't have been able to reply to comments.

Again, thank you so much everyone.
    @emorrill Thank you very much. Your support means a lot to me, as does the comment :) I started reading your Quantum Leap story, and I love it so far! Always looking forward to more.

@CathyTea I have no words to express how grateful I am, first for setting up this thread, and second for taking your time to read my writing. I'm so glad you enjoyed it. I hope you don't mind me going through your comments and replying to them, I love replying to comments! Heck, if I hadn't shared, I wouldn't have been able to reply to comments.

I love when people reply to my comments!

I love to comment--one thing you should know, though: I feel that I have two commenting personae. One is when I'm on my computer, because I've got a keyboard so I can write as quickly as I think, easily. The other is when I read on my mobile device, which has the tiny squirrel keyboards, and then, I am so finger-tied that sometimes, I just let autocorrect write my comments for me... So if I sometimes seem a little... off, that's what's going on! :)

Also, sometimes after a few exchanges through comments, I like to bring the conversation over here to the forums, too, so others can join in or so that we can have a bit more extended conversation. We can always carry on through PM if you don't want to have the conversation on this thread or on your own story thread.

I love when people reply to my comments!

I love to comment--one thing you should know, though: I feel that I have two commenting personae. One is when I'm on my computer, because I've got a keyboard so I can write as quickly as I think, easily. The other is when I read on my mobile device, which has the tiny squirrel keyboards, and then, I am so finger-tied that sometimes, I just let autocorrect write my comments for me... So if I sometimes seem a little... off, that's what's going on! :)

Also, sometimes after a few exchanges through comments, I like to bring the conversation over here to the forums, too, so others can join in or so that we can have a bit more extended conversation. We can always carry on through PM if you don't want to have the conversation on this thread or on your own story thread.

but i proved a squirrel can type. :)

And you've got the pics to prove it! :)

And you've got the pics to prove it! :)

i do. :)
  • SimTresaSimTresa Posts: 3,225 Member
    Does anyone ever deliberately change the order you took screenshots in so they better fit the flow of the story you want to tell?
    Also how do I get mine to come out a consistent size after being cropped on imgur? Seems like some end up long and narrow, while others expand to their original size after being cropped.
    image.png
  • ForgottenPixelsForgottenPixels Posts: 11,376 Member
    Does anyone ever deliberately change the order you took screenshots in so they better fit the flow of the story you want to tell?
    Also how do I get mine to come out a consistent size after being cropped on imgur? Seems like some end up long and narrow, while others expand to their original size after being cropped.

Are the dimensions the same?
  • KarilanKarilan Posts: 2,935 Member

Even though my Grace series is gameplay driven, I change up the order all the time. I even go as far as saving entire scenes for a later chapter if it didn't quite fit. Sometimes I go back in game, stage the scene again, and take extra screenshots if the angle wasn't quite right or someone was pulling a weird face in it.

As for photo sizes, oh my gosh this is a problem for me. For the most part I freehand crop my screens to be a 5x7 photo sort of shape.

(Someone else can probably explain this much better, but here it goes!) If you want them all to be exactly the same size, I'd recommend editing the canvas size in whatever program you use after you crop the image, or start by creating a specific sized blank canvas and pasting your screenshot into it, letting the edges of the canvas crop your photo for you by moving the center of the screenshot into place.
    D2vFwMN.jpg
    My hubby causes chaos in How To Live With Grace - - Pine Point tells Miranda Cole's survival tale - - Criminals build legacies in Glassbolt Prison
  • KarilanKarilan Posts: 2,935 Member
    I'm slowly going to catch up on everything I've missed on the forums the past few days, so don't mind my spam.

leo-and-yuki4.jpg

@chalicen I'm overwhelmed with reading right now and have tried so SO hard these past few weeks not to add to my reading list but...you break me. I mean that in a completely complimentary way! I've only read the first chapter and I am so delighted and enchanted by your writing. You're on my list, and I can't wait til I have time to dive through all the chapters! <3

D2vFwMN.jpg
    My hubby causes chaos in How To Live With Grace - - Pine Point tells Miranda Cole's survival tale - - Criminals build legacies in Glassbolt Prison

To get the sizes consistent, I resize each image. On PC, you can use Paint. On Mac, you can use that default image viewer. For my blog, 660px width works really well. On my old laptop, that resulted in 402 height. On my new laptop, that results in 348 height (or something like that). I like .png, too, for it looks crisper with my set-up than .jpg.

If you need more detailed instructions, I'm happy to share.

As for place the pics in different orders, I'll do this as long as I can maintain continuity--the time of day, wardrobe, relationships, and so on have to be consistent. Sims do look older as time passes, even within an age-setting. For example, a young adult Sim who is a day or two away from becoming an adult looks older than a young adult who just became a young adult. Weight fluctuates, too, and muscle mass, so I'm careful about consistency there. With relationships, Sims' body language and facial expressions reflect the current state of the relationship (including the relationship history), so I don't like to mess too much with the order for interaction shots, since facial expressions/body language will be change as time passes.

I also have an idea that as the Sim's AI develops, the Sim begins to hold herself differently and use different expressions, so I try to maintain consistency with that, too.

Of course, this all relates to Sims who are being played and developed in the game. When one's posing, with aging off, and the Sims don't have much or any autonomy, none of this would really apply.