Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Unable to Play Sims Medieval

To SimGurus or whom it may concern, I hope you can help me resolve this/these issue(s). I have Sims Medieval, which has been one of my absolute favorite Sims games to play. I was never really able to play with the newer update, so I've stuck with the first version. I've also had the problem of not being able to build the Merchant's Market and play as a merchant, unless I build it first. I have the problem of the game stop working after a few hours too, so I have to start the game again (this particular one I have with the Sims 4 as well, unless I'm online).

However, here's the most significant issue I'm having. I've waited so long to get the Pirates & Nobles Adventure Pack (about five years, I believe), because either I didn't have the money to get it or I couldn't find it in stores and sometimes online. I finally got it yesterday and installed it today. I had to update the base game, and now it won't play at all. I've gone back to the launcher and clicked play, but a message popped up saying the action cannot be done because the game is already running (and to quit the game and try again). I'm at a loss, and I really want to play it. Please help, and thank you for taking the time to read this and look into it.

Comments

• OpalMoonOpalMoon Posts: 35 Member
    Update on the issue: someone helped me try to figure out why it won't play. They think my processor may be too old, as it wasn't compatible for me to play.
  • ladybreidladybreid Posts: 3,455 Member
    edited December 2017
    when you try to play it are you selecting TSM or pirates and nobles?

To clarify when I had purchased them separately I had to play be selecting P&N, currently though I am playing the combo one so it's different.

I hope that made sense.
    wz3Vdbh.jpg
    Saying "not to be rude", then blatently being rude does not excuse rude behavior.
  • OpalMoonOpalMoon Posts: 35 Member
    @ladybreid I tried selecting both, mostly P&N. My computer is a refurbished one, which makes sense that the processor may be old. I'd still like to play it, but now I'm not as bothered about it. I'm just glad it's not the game.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited December 2017
    OpalMoon wrote: »
    @ladybreid I tried selecting both, mostly P&N. My computer is a refurbished one, which makes sense that the processor may be old. I'd still like to play it, but now I'm not as bothered about it. I'm just glad it's not the game.

What is your processor? This game came out in 2011 is your processor way back in 2006 or at the time this was released? Have you checked the system requirements against the dxdiag for your pc? It may not be your processor at all but the buggy game. Saying it is already running doesn't sound like a processor problem to me but a RUNDLL problem.

ETA: try creating your own shortcut as it sounds like the shortcut on desktop (do not start through Origin) isn't working.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/507218/medieval-wont-launch-help-please

ETA: Also, have you tried setting in compatible mode back to Windows XP SP2? This may also help if Windows 8 or Windows 10 still have compatiblility mode. It works for Windows 7. There are some discussions it can't run in Windows 8 at all.

ETA: Here is an old trick for older games where the RUNDLL isn't working correctly in Win 7 etc.

Check in Task Manager if you see RunDLL using a lot of CPU memory. And you see where The Sims Med.exe is listed, too. End the The Sims Med.exe in task manager but don't touch the RunDll.exe which is using the CPU. Now start the TSM again, and it should start up. This is a very old trick for older games when they won't load in Windows 7. I have to do this often with older games such a LOTR (EA Game) etc. ETA: Once the game is loaded you can end the RunDLL in task manager as it is using a lot of CPU. Gamers know a lot of start up tricks. :)
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • SchantalSchantal Posts: 3,082 Member
    Ok, well I am having the same issue and I have a gaming PC with an i7 Kaby Lake Processor and a 1080 graphics card......several of us contacted EA about this issue and they admitted it won't run on Windows 10....I am so done with this company honestly. I paid money for this game, its a single player game and low and behold no one can play it.....when you try to register it with Origin like some suggested it does not work and does not find the product code. So now a game that I paid for I can't play anymore./.....ridiculous and it IS stealing. Look at what they did with Darkspore....I bought it AFTER they shut down the servers (they were still selling it knowing full well the servers would be shut down and were shutdown) and I now have a game that I paid for and never got to play once, this is stealing and EA cannot continue to get away with stealing peoples money. If I pay for a product and someone takes it from me, that is theft.....
  • rjssimrjssim Posts: 1,337 Member
    I am running the game with Windows 10 with no problems at all. However, I did purchase the deluxe version they had in the digital shop which just gets automatically added to my Origin game list. There was no need to enter a code besides the redeem code (in-game) which gives you some extra stuff. My specs are: i7-6700, GTX 970, 32GB RAM, Windows 10. Do you have both the original and the expansion? Maybe you could contact customer service and they will add the deluxe version to your account. I believe they do something similar with the people who own the cd version of the Sims 2. It's worth a try anyways.
    Schantal wrote: »
    Ok, well I am having the same issue and I have a gaming PC with an i7 Kaby Lake Processor and a 1080 graphics card......several of us contacted EA about this issue and they admitted it won't run on Windows 10....I am so done with this company honestly. I paid money for this game, its a single player game and low and behold no one can play it.....when you try to register it with Origin like some suggested it does not work and does not find the product code. So now a game that I paid for I can't play anymore./.....ridiculous and it IS stealing. Look at what they did with Darkspore....I bought it AFTER they shut down the servers (they were still selling it knowing full well the servers would be shut down and were shutdown) and I now have a game that I paid for and never got to play once, this is stealing and EA cannot continue to get away with stealing peoples money. If I pay for a product and someone takes it from me, that is theft.....